Charles Barkley doesn't like the Suns 3 guard/tiny ball system

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

batsmasher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Re: Charles Barkley doesn't like the Suns 3 guard/tiny ball system 

Post#41 » by batsmasher » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:52 am

Anything Chuck says which involves thinking about basketball is not worth discussing. If he ever gets that GM job he wants we'll all be in for a spectacle.
de'aaron fox will be a hof'er, don't @ me
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,172

Post#42 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:08 am

Scutt wrote:Lol at the posters bringing up Barkley's size. He may have been undersized, but he sure didn't play like it. The man averaged almost 12 rebounds a game over his NBA career. That 93 Suns team didn't feature 3 combo guards and a starting power forward that cant even grab 6 rebounds a game like our current team does.

I wasn't saying that Chuck played small, just merely the fact that he was a short power forward. There is an irony to him saying we can't win because we are too small. Calm down people
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,447

Post#43 » by Revived » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:11 am

Scutt wrote:Lol at the posters bringing up Barkley's size. He may have been undersized, but he sure didn't play like it. The man averaged almost 12 rebounds a game over his NBA career. That 93 Suns team didn't feature 3 combo guards and a starting power forward that cant even grab 6 rebounds a game like our current team does.

^this.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#44 » by AtheJ415 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:39 am

SF88 wrote:

^this.

So you're saying we should build our team similar to a previous suns team that didn't win a title?
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#45 » by AtheJ415 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:41 am

MrMiyagi wrote:

I wasn't saying that Chuck played small, just merely the fact that he was a short power forward. There is an irony to him saying we can't win because we are too small. Calm down people

There is. IMO Chuck means that you can't win if your best players are guards as opposed to bigs. His statements are more consistent with that than actual size. But even then he's still wrong.
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Post#46 » by Sunsdeuce » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Charles Barkley is one of the 50 greatest players ever. He singlehandledly took the Suns to the finals (The team lost its starting small forward in Cedric (one of the best offensive rebounders in the game at the time (basically a more offensively skilled marion), who at the time was pretty damn good) and could have won. The suns are where they are today because of what Barkley helped make phx. During the 90s most star players wanted to come to phx because of Barkley. The guy loves to run his mouth but when he talks people listen.

But for those of you who think this 3PG system will take this team anywhere but a first round playoff exit, you either know very little about the NBA or you just plain refuse to accept the truth.

On a side note, if you never got to see barkley play other than highlights, you missed out on one of the greatest PF ever to play. There isnt a PF in todays game that could guard him or is better than him.

Bottomline, to succeed in the NBA, you have to have a balanced roster. Suns do not have a balanced roster. Put it this way. Not one player on this team averages more than 6 rebounds. Good luck winning when it counts with that.
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#47 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Sunsdeuce wrote:Charles Barkley is one of the 50 greatest players ever. He singlehandledly took the Suns to the finals (The team lost its starting small forward in Cedric (one of the best offensive rebounders in the game at the time (basically a more offensively skilled marion), who at the time was pretty damn good) and could have won. The suns are where they are today because of what Barkley helped make phx. During the 90s most star players wanted to come to phx because of Barkley. The guy loves to run his mouth but when he talks people listen.

But for those of you who think this 3PG system will take this team anywhere but a first round playoff exit, you either know very little about the NBA or you just plain refuse to accept the truth.

On a side note, if you never got to see barkley play other than highlights, you missed out on one of the greatest PF ever to play. There isnt a PF in todays game that could guard him or is better than him.

Bottomline, to succeed in the NBA, you have to have a balanced roster. Suns do not have a balanced roster. Put it this way. Not one player on this team averages more than 6 rebounds. Good luck winning when it counts with that.

He didn't single handedly take him to the finals. He had plenty of help. He is definitely not a guy who could carry a team or Philly would have been better with him. KJ actually took this team to another level to make a guy like Barkley want to join a team that was very close.
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Post#48 » by Sunsdeuce » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:12 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Sunsdeuce wrote:Charles Barkley is one of the 50 greatest players ever. He singlehandledly took the Suns to the finals (The team lost its starting small forward in Cedric (one of the best offensive rebounders in the game at the time (basically a more offensively skilled marion), who at the time was pretty damn good) and could have won. The suns are where they are today because of what Barkley helped make phx. During the 90s most star players wanted to come to phx because of Barkley. The guy loves to run his mouth but when he talks people listen.

He didn't single handedly take him to the finals. He had plenty of help. He is definitely not a guy who could carry a team or Philly would have been better with him. KJ actually took this team to another level to make a guy like Barkley want to join a team that was very close.

I have to disagree my friend. I literally watched every single game that year (and went to about 10 games). Barkley was unstoppable that year. Barkley took the suns to a new level. KJ is FAR AND ABOVE MY FAVORITE PG of all time and I know for a fact that in his prime he was better than Steve Nash but he didnt carry the suns in 92-93. In fact KJ only played in only 49 games that year. Forth Quarter Frank filled in for KJ quite a bit and did quite well. Barkley demanded double teams very single play.

Still believe in my heart with a healthy Cedric Z Ceballos, Suns would have fun the finals. The great thing about sports we can talk about stuff like this. We disagree Bwgood but your still my boy.
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
3rdside
Sophomore
And1: 40

Charles Barkley doesn't like the Suns 3 guard/tiny ball system 

Post#49 » by 3rdside » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 pm

The Barkley era pre dates me being a fan - is it true he was out partying during the nba finals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Revived
RealGM

Post#50 » by Revived » Thu Feb 5, 2015 8:29 pm

3rdside wrote:The Barkley era pre dates me being a fan - is it true he was out partying during the nba finals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably as true as the rumors that PJ got drunk at halftime of games.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#51 » by rsavaj » Thu Feb 5, 2015 9:02 pm

SF88 wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:the problem is not that there are 3 point guards with qualities on the roster. it is about committing, strategy and playing for the teams goal not your individual one. is IT a quality player? Yes. Is Dragic? Yes. Is Bledsoe? Yes.
But do the suns need all three of them in the role they see themselves? No.
Suns need an upgrade to their defense and not offense orientated players anymore. That is why Thomas is useless to me. We have Green, one chucker is enough.

Suns have never done this ever since Robert Sarver took over as owner. He's always showed more interest in improving the offense than the defense ever since 2004 when he took over.

Ridiculous.

Trading Q and Nate for KT(a super unpopular move at the time) was a huge boon for our defense. Same with signing Raja Bell, and those are the first two I thought of off the top of my head.

People really like to stretch the truth to make a point.
Revived
RealGM

Post#52 » by Revived » Thu Feb 5, 2015 10:34 pm

rsavaj wrote:
SF88 wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:the problem is not that there are 3 point guards with qualities on the roster. it is about committing, strategy and playing for the teams goal not your individual one. is IT a quality player? Yes. Is Dragic? Yes. Is Bledsoe? Yes.
Suns need an upgrade to their defense and not offense orientated players anymore. That is why Thomas is useless to me. We have Green, one chucker is enough.

Suns have never done this ever since Robert Sarver took over as owner. He's always showed more interest in improving the offense than the defense ever since 2004 when he took over.

Ridiculous.

Trading Q and Nate for KT(a super unpopular move at the time) was a huge boon for our defense. Same with signing Raja Bell, and those are the first two I thought of off the top of my head.

Don't stop there, what about the trade for Shaq, Gortat, signing Tucker etc?

Yea whatever and despite all that Sarver's always wanted offense oriented, defense ignored coaches like D'Antoni, Gentry and now Hornacek.

Of course then we have Terry Porter as our "defensive hire" but that was a guy who had no business being a coach in the NBA period.

My "truth" is that ever since Robert Sarver took over as owner in 2004, the Suns have been among the worst defensive teams during this 11 year stretch.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#53 » by rsavaj » Thu Feb 5, 2015 11:09 pm

SF88 wrote:
rsavaj wrote:
SF88 wrote:Suns have never done this ever since Robert Sarver took over as owner. He's always showed more interest in improving the offense than the defense ever since 2004 when he took over.

Ridiculous.

Don't stop there, what about the trade for Shaq, Gortat, signing Tucker etc?

Yea whatever and despite all that Sarver's always wanted offense oriented, defense ignored coaches like D'Antoni, Gentry and now Hornacek.

Of course then we have Terry Porter as our "defensive hire" but that was a guy who had no business being a coach in the NBA period.

My "truth" is that ever since Robert Sarver took over as owner in 2004, the Suns have been among the worst defensive teams during this 11 year stretch.

Actually, while D'Antoni was here, we were ranked 13-17th; at one point we ranked 5th. That was with the 05/06 team, with a healthy Thomas, Marion, Diaw and Bell leading the squad to an elite defense along with Nash quarterbacking the league's top offense.

Once Gentry started coaching, our D fell off a cliff. We've actually improved since then under Hornacek, or we had until this season's regression.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#54 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 12:02 am

rsavaj wrote:
SF88 wrote:

Ridiculous.

Of course if we would have drafted Iguodala and not signed Q, and given JJ what he wanted that summer, we probably never run into a multitude of problems like having to trade Q, later having to dump KT by giving picks, etc. But of course we all know about these things that make us cringe.
Revived
RealGM

Post#55 » by Revived » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:16 am

I wonder if Chuck was watching on his own TNT channel when the 3 PG got WRECKED by the Blazers proving him 100% right.
Revived
RealGM

Post#56 » by Revived » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:46 am

The Phoenix Suns have a glut of guards in the backcourt and Ryan McDonough admitted the team's balance is slightly off.

"I think our roster balance is a little off, and that's my fault," McDonough said Wedneday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "We are a little too backcourt heavy, especially in terms of guys who, you know, I think you'd define primarily as scorers in the backcourt.

"So I think at some point we'll need to balance that out, try to get a little more size, a little more frontcourt scoring and rebounding."

The Suns are in the playoff picture but have lost seven of their last 10 games.

"At the same time it's a challenge because we do have talented players, they've all had success individually and team success in the NBA," McDonough said, "so those are some of the decisions we'll kind of mull over the next week or so and we'll see where we are on the 19th next week."

Looks like McD is agreeing with Chuck in his assessment.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#57 » by kennydorglas » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:30 pm

He was small but he had freakish long arms and an amazing sense of positioning for rebounds.
In his early days with Philly, he was a freakin' ambulant highlight reel.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Revived
RealGM

Post#58 » by Revived » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:33 pm

For all the hate that Chuck gets, looks like he was right on the money

Are y'all trying to get the record for the most point guards in the NBA?" TNT analyst Charles Barkley said to Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM last July.

This, of course, was in response to the Phoenix Suns, who already had Goran Dragic under contract and were negotiating with restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe on a new deal, signing free agent Isaiah Thomas to a four-year contract.

"I have no idea what they're doing, to be honest with you."
Revived
RealGM

Post#59 » by Revived » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Charles Barkley of TNT weighed in on the Dragic deal during Thursday night's broadcast. He didn't like it, and hasn't been a fan of how McDonough has handled his personnel going back to last summer.

"They're in the exact same situation. They screwed up their team this summer bringing in Isaiah Thomas," Barkley said. "They knew Bledsoe is a good player, they had to pay Dragic at the end of this season and then they bring in Thomas and draft a point guard (Tyler Ennis).

"They screwed this entire thing up. And I like Brandon Knight, he's a good player, but he's just like Dragic and Thomas. So now you've still got a bunch of little guys out there playing. They just really screwed up."

Chuck is not a fan of these moves.
SUN
Lead Assistant
And1: 866

Post#60 » by SUN » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:11 pm

I don't like it either. It's not proven at all, and a terribly unreliable brand of basketball.

Jose/Lowry? Nope.avi
Jennings/Ellis? Nope.avi
Thomas/Bledsoe? Nope.avi
Dragic/Bledsoe? Nope.avi
Dragic/Thomas? Nope.avi

I will chop off my left nut and autograph it and send it to D.J Strawberry if a two PG system works in the NBA.

Return to Phoenix Suns