RealGM
And1: 19,439

Re: Official Trade Thread: Kind of a Drag...ic 

Post#2261 » by Revived » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:11 pm

letsgosuns wrote:
Spoiler:
SF88 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:
Yeah but still, with Kobe he would waste another year not running his own team. He is going to be turn 29 before this offseason. And 20+ million a year for Dragic? He would be one of the highest paid players in the league. I know people who love him that still do not think he is worth that. That kind of a contract is reserved for perennial all stars and mvp caliber players. Sarver even took a shot at him today on the radio saying that when Dragic ran the team as the main point guard and ball handler a couple seasons ago the results were not good. He did mention that it was not all Dragic's fault but the fact remains that they were terrible with him at the helm. They also had Gortat that year and he kept on complaining the entire season saying he was not getting the ball like he used to with Nash.

Look at the game Bledsoe had last night. Besides the fact that he did it against Westbrook and outplayed him, he defense stood out dramatically. He had a game changing play when he ran down the court and made that key block at the end of the game. Now think about how much he is paid and he just turned 25 this past December. He makes 13 million this year. I cannot fathom how a team is going to pay Dragic 20 million a season when he really is not going to get any better than he is right now.

The Lakers and Knicks want to rebuild right. Is it really smart to start rebuilding by maxing out a soon to be 29 year old point guard when you have no other pieces on your team? All the Lakers have is Kobe Bryant and he is about to retire like you said. The Knicks have Carmelo. Both of those teams would honestly be better off trading their superstars on draft day and getting as much as you can for each of them so you can rebuild with young players. I doubt it will happen though because both have no trade clauses and do not want to leave their respective teams. There are so many good point guards in the league and the thought of Dragic getting paid the same amount of money as Chris Paul blows my mind. Dragic has looked different ever since he played for his national team last Summer. I think it really wore him down.

Once the cap goes up, $20 million will be equivalent to like $14-$15 million probably

I don't think he's worth $20 million for us either but for a team that's a good PG away from being a contender, it may be worth it.

Yeah but I would still hesitate to give him that huge of a contract even with a rising cap. The team I can see him going to is Dallas. Sounds like Rondo is not coming back and they will need to sign a point guard. Tyson Chandler does not demand the ball. Ellis can shoot coming off screens. Dirk will just get the ball at the end of games. Parsons can be a spot up shooter. Sounds like the perfect type of team for Dragic to run. Guys that can stretch the floor all around and allow him to penetrate.

I can't see Cuban not resigning Rondo after they gave up a 1st rd pick and some assets for him but yea if they do, then Goran could be a replacement. But Ellis does like dominating the ball and seems like everyone in Dallas loves Monta right now (Carslie was lobbying for him to be in the ASG instead of Dirk) so I could see them signing a 3 & D type PG instead maybe.
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,008

Post#2262 » by Young gun 6 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 2:54 am

Dragic has looked good in games 2&4 for the heat and damn awful in games 1/3/5. Wonder if this inconsistency will continue.
HootieRules
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#2263 » by HootieRules » Sun Mar 1, 2015 3:19 am

RunDogGun wrote:Didn't we nab Grant Hill while Sarver owned the Suns? Who was available in FA that said they wouldn't come here because they don't like our majority owner?

You're hanging your hat on Grant Hill being the prize free agent in the recent history of this franchise? Lol.

The proof is in the pudding on this franchise going from being relevant in free agency to being borderline toxic.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#2264 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Mar 1, 2015 3:30 am

Rondo is gettable for McDonough.

Don't see how he would work with Bledsoe, but we write our own rules it seems.
Son of Ra
Rookie
And1: 1,012

Post#2265 » by Son of Ra » Sun Mar 1, 2015 6:11 am

Did Traxxe every clear up what the Bulls trade was that was on the table?
Orens
Sophomore
And1: 48

Re: Re: Official Trade Thread: Kind of a Drag...ic 

Post#2266 » by Orens » Sun Mar 1, 2015 7:37 am

Son of Ra wrote:Did Traxxe every clear up what the Bulls trade was that was on the table?

I was just about to ask.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#2267 » by Bogyo » Sun Mar 1, 2015 9:27 am

Orens wrote:
Son of Ra wrote:Did Traxxe every clear up what the Bulls trade was that was on the table?

I was just about to ask.

Nope, he did not. I assume something around Taj (and hopefully Mirotic).
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#2268 » by RunDogGun » Sun Mar 1, 2015 10:08 am

HootieRules wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:Didn't we nab Grant Hill while Sarver owned the Suns? Who was available in FA that said they wouldn't come here because they don't like our majority owner?

You're hanging your hat on Grant Hill being the prize free agent in the recent history of this franchise? Lol.

The proof is in the pudding on this franchise going from being relevant in free agency to being borderline toxic.

When have we had the money to go after a big name free agent, and who was actually available to grab? You don't think Grant Hill was a good player for us? With the cap space we had at the time of his signing he was an incredible FA signing. We got a starting sf, super smart, and very solid defender, for peanuts.

So again. Who did we miss out on? Who said that they wouldn't come here because of our owner? Eric Gordon wanted to come here, he said so, and signed an offer sheet. At the time, he was considered a big name FA.
Orens
Sophomore

Post#2269 » by Orens » Sun Mar 1, 2015 11:32 am

Bogyo wrote:
Orens wrote:

I was just about to ask.

Taj is old, declining, has a bad contract that doesn't fit our long term plan and has been complaining about a lack of minutes, partly because of Mirotic (who was drafted with the pick we traded to the Rockets for Aaron Brooks along with... Goran Dragic). I don't think he was the target. The Kings pick (top-10 protected) could've been involved, but I tens to believe that trade was supposed to be a three-teamer at least.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#2270 » by Bogyo » Sun Mar 1, 2015 3:52 pm

Orens wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
Orens wrote:I was just about to ask.

Taj is old, declining, has a bad contract that doesn't fit our long term plan and has been complaining about a lack of minutes, partly because of Mirotic (who was drafted with the pick we traded to the Rockets for Aaron Brooks along with... Goran Dragic). I don't think he was the target. The Kings pick (top-10 protected) could've been involved, but I tens to believe that trade was supposed to be a three-teamer at least.

Dunno, if they are shipping out the Morri for their assault case, they have to take back forwards, somewhat regardless to their age. Taj can/could have play/ed C for us as well (he does in Chitown sometimes), and same with Mirotic, only at the SF spot. If it's a 3 teamer, then it could have been anybody else... But they just can't take back a (very) good draft pick, becouse someone has to play PF for the Suns until the end of this season, right?
Orens
Sophomore

Post#2271 » by Orens » Sun Mar 1, 2015 6:06 pm

Bogyo wrote:
Orens wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

Dunno, if they are shipping out the Morri for their assault case, they have to take back forwards, somewhat regardless to their age. Taj can/could have play/ed C for us as well (he does in Chitown sometimes), and same with Mirotic, only at the SF spot. If it's a 3 teamer, then it could have been anybody else... But they just can't take back a (very) good draft pick, becouse someone has to play PF for the Suns until the end of this season, right?

Yeah, but there's no way McD would trade Kieff for Gibson without a compensation coming in. Although Gibson is a good player, he won't be as good in two years.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#2272 » by sunsbum » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:10 am

Sarver grabbed the best player to ever put on a suns uniform from free agency, so there's that.
Flex is now your father.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#2273 » by Frank Lee » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:22 am

Colonjello grabbed him, with the help of Amare....and nobody knew who Sarver was. It was pre chicken dancing big foam fingering pro owner non cheap image Bobby Sarver ....

so there's that too :ouch:
What ? Me Worry ?
In Len We Trust
Banned User
And1: 380

Post#2274 » by In Len We Trust » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:34 am

Sarver has gotten MUCH better these last couple of years as far as making the right decisions for the best of the team and letting the GM build. He is also willing to spend whatever it takes to win. However, the overall image, reputation, and prestige of the Phoenix Suns franchise has been completely flushed away since he became owner. Colangelo once had the Phoenix Suns as one of the most relevant overall franchises and now you would think we are playing in the smallest market of any NBA team judging by the respect and attention we get.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#2275 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:12 am

Frank Lee wrote:Colonjello grabbed him, with the help of Amare....and nobody knew who Sarver was. It was pre chicken dancing big foam fingering pro owner non cheap image Bobby Sarver ....

so there's that too :ouch:

If he is talking about Nash, didn't Sarver get approved ownership on July 1st, 2004, and Nash make a verbal agreement July 2nd, 2004?
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#2276 » by sunsbum » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:31 am

Sarver and amare were the ones on the plane, not colangelo.
Flex is now your father.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#2277 » by Frank Lee » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:45 am

whatever... not here to bash Sarver. Glad he did it. The good ol days long gone by.

Good luck the next time. He's going to need it.
What ? Me Worry ?
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#2278 » by letsgosuns » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:46 am

Nash had met with Cuban in Dallas on Wednesday morning and then was greeted by a traveling Suns delegation that included chairman Jerry Colangelo, son and team president Bryan Colangelo, new owner Robert Sarver, coach Mike D'Antoni, former NBA player and Suns minority owner Steve Kerr, former Suns player and current scout Rex Chapman and forward Amare Stoudemire, a client of Duffy's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1833028

The Suns have nothing like that anymore to attract a free agent. That was special. Nash must have been so impressed to see that group of people arrive at his door.
Tahleron
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#2279 » by Tahleron » Mon Mar 2, 2015 5:15 am

SF88 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:
Spoiler:
SF88 wrote:Once the cap goes up, $20 million will be equivalent to like $14-$15 million probably

I don't think he's worth $20 million for us either but for a team that's a good PG away from being a contender, it may be worth it.

Yeah but I would still hesitate to give him that huge of a contract even with a rising cap. The team I can see him going to is Dallas. Sounds like Rondo is not coming back and they will need to sign a point guard. Tyson Chandler does not demand the ball. Ellis can shoot coming off screens. Dirk will just get the ball at the end of games. Parsons can be a spot up shooter. Sounds like the perfect type of team for Dragic to run. Guys that can stretch the floor all around and allow him to penetrate.

I can't see Cuban not resigning Rondo after they gave up a 1st rd pick and some assets for him but yea if they do, then Goran could be a replacement. But Ellis does like dominating the ball and seems like everyone in Dallas loves Monta right now (Carslie was lobbying for him to be in the ASG instead of Dirk) so I could see them signing a 3 & D type PG instead maybe.

Rondo doesn't want to stay, at this point you can pretty much consider that axiomatic
asudevil
Analyst
And1: 689

Post#2280 » by asudevil » Mon Mar 2, 2015 5:19 am

letsgosuns wrote:Nash had met with Cuban in Dallas on Wednesday morning and then was greeted by a traveling Suns delegation that included chairman Jerry Colangelo, son and team president Bryan Colangelo, new owner Robert Sarver, coach Mike D'Antoni, former NBA player and Suns minority owner Steve Kerr, former Suns player and current scout Rex Chapman and forward Amare Stoudemire, a client of Duffy's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1833028

The Suns have nothing like that anymore to attract a free agent. That was special. Nash must have been so impressed to see that group of people arrive at his door.

That group at the time was classy....but times have changed.

Jerry - legend, nothing bad to say about him ever
Bryan - Former GM of Toronto. His reign was basically a disaster, and he flat out admitted to trying to tank at one point
D'Antoni - Left the suns and failed in miserably in both NY and LA
Rex Chapman - Became a stolen electronics trafficker, and drug addict.
Kerr - cant say he was a great GM, nor can i say he was terrible. Great head coach though
Amare - nothing bad to say about him. Injuries plagued his career. But he did leave for the guaranteed money of NY.

you gather the 4 of the 6 of those guys today, and it would be a recruiting disaster now....MUCH worse than anything would have now.

Return to Phoenix Suns