Official Free Agent Thread: What to do with our cap space

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Cutter
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Re: Official Free Agent Thread: What to do with our cap space 

Post#1381 » by Cutter » Fri May 22, 2015 2:52 am

1UPZ wrote:
NoKneeBledsoe wrote:We have zero chance at kevin love!

I will bet my mortgage on it!

So stop with the proposals

Why would someone want to take on your mortgage? Its debt.
If you owned your house, then I can see someone willing to bet with you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't know why, but I cracked up when I read that. Good job.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#1382 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:20 am

Banks own most houses not people. The rhetoric "buy, don't rent" makes sense if you can buy with cash, or have a great interest rate and plan to live in the same place for 30 years. But it's certainly not always the best financial option regardless of what people want you to believe. It's like a stable stock....sure you have some ownership stock, but not the deed, but if things go south you could be upside down in no time, and then what if you have to move?

OK, sorry for the derail..back on topic.
NoKneeBledsoe
Junior
And1: 92

Post#1383 » by NoKneeBledsoe » Fri May 22, 2015 4:03 am

Cutter wrote:
1UPZ wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't know why, but I cracked up when I read that. Good job.

House worth 270k and I owe 170k that is not debt! Plus I am guaranteeing we do not get Love
drewsprocket
Junior
And1: 100

Official Free Agent Thread: What to do with our cap space 

Post#1384 » by drewsprocket » Fri May 22, 2015 4:21 am

K love is dumb. Little value as a max player. He could win with Lebron but not as a franchise player. Remember it's not so great being just a 50 win team.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1385 » by RunDogGun » Fri May 22, 2015 5:05 am

1UPZ wrote:

:lol: By far the best thing you've posted.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#1386 » by RunDogGun » Fri May 22, 2015 5:12 am

bwgood77 wrote:Banks own most houses not people. The rhetoric "buy, don't rent" makes sense if you can buy with cash, or have a great interest rate and plan to live in the same place for 30 years. But it's certainly not always the best financial option regardless of what people want you to believe. It's like a stable stock....sure you have some ownership stock, but not the deed, but if things go south you could be upside down in no time, and then what if you have to move?

OK, sorry for the derail..back on topic.

In the U.S. you do get tax break for interest paid on your mortgage, but if you make a certain amount of money you can't deduct rent paid on a home. I'm currently doing both right now. I can deduct my interest on the house I (and the bank) own, but I can't deduct the rent I pay on the home here in Minny.

But back to the topic. If Love picks up his option, it would be silly to waste assets on him for trade, where he could just leave. But if we had a guarantee that he would stay, he may be an option. I just haven't seen him lead a team to anything.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,641

Post#1387 » by lilfishi22 » Fri May 22, 2015 5:40 am

Yeah I'm sick of us picking up guys with a year left on their deals only for us to be handcuffed at the end of the season where we either gave up assets for a guy who's walking away or we are forced to max him out.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#1388 » by Mr Puddles » Fri May 22, 2015 6:26 am

NoKneeBledsoe wrote:
Cutter wrote:
1UPZ wrote:

House worth 270k and I owe 170k that is not debt! Plus I am guaranteeing we do not get Love

The mortgage itself is a loan and a loan is most certainly a debt. The part of the house you've paid off is equity.
Spoiler:
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#1389 » by Damkac » Fri May 22, 2015 6:30 am

Love's options:
1) Resign with Cavs and make the finals from the crappy East year after year
2) Sign with Lakers or Knicks and play for one of 2 biggest markets
3) Sign with Suns and hope you can reach the playoffs

That's a tough choice.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#1390 » by Saberestar » Fri May 22, 2015 8:02 am

Knight, 23, talked openly about liking the idea of an all Big Blue Nation backcourt with Bledsoe, 25, on Planet Orange.

"I thought it was fine," Knight told SiriusXM NBA Radio. "I think it's really just about making the right play. I enjoy playing with Eric because Eric is, first, he's a great talent and he's not a selfish player. He's very, very unselfish. He's trying to make the right play, trying to win. As far as playing with Eric goes, I think it's a great thing because you have two players who can attack at any time. Instead of having one team focus on just one of us, being able to have two guys who can really break down a defense at any time, I think will not only make it easy for myself but also make it easier for him as well.
"If Eric was a selfish guy, then I think it wouldn't work but both of us being pretty unselfish guys and really just wanting to win and also being familiar with each other, I think that helps the situation."

Any NBA team can use salary cap space to sign Knight to an offer sheet in July but the Suns would be able to match it to retain him. Phoenix also could negotiate a deal with an extra year, as they did with Bledsoe for his five-year contract.

"For myself, just doing what I'm comfortable with and what's best for myself and for my family," Knight told SiriusXM NBA Radio. "I can't speak on that until I know what's going on and that won't be until July."

Knight did talk plenty about a major role with the Suns, who already envision his intelligence, maturity and willingness to speak up as the makings of a future leader.

"I'll continue to do the same things that I did this past year to continue to get better," Knight said. "For me, it's more of a team thing. I really want to try to push the guys on the Suns and this organization to be better, not just myself. I think true leaders make people around them better and that's what it's going to take for us to really take that next step. We've got to have each and every guy get better, not just myself but our entire team has to take steps this summer. It starts right now."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /27760809/
Mr-Al
Senior
And1: 225

Post#1391 » by Mr-Al » Fri May 22, 2015 9:27 am

RunDogGun wrote:You'd have to start Tucker then, because Warren isn't close to being the defender you'd need. I still find it strange that in some arguments people say defense wins championships,yet find any way they can from excluding one of our best defenders but add mainly offense oriented players (I'm not saying you Letsgo).

lol no

Your statement would be somewhat true if we were anywhere close to contending

Defense wins championships?

**** fantastic, trade Tucker to a contender so he can help them win a championship

RunDogGun wrote:because Warren isn't close to being the defender you'd need

Yeah guys, if we want the 13th pick next year, we're really going to need Tucker's somewhat above-average defense, god forbid we commit to Warren and get the 11th, or 12th pick

Unless we somehow hand a miracle and get a really big player this summer that puts us in the playoffs for sure (not happening), starting Tucker next season is one of the most terrible ideas I can think of
Mr-Al
Senior

Post#1392 » by Mr-Al » Fri May 22, 2015 9:35 am

NoKneeBledsoe wrote:I say we offer Greg Monroe or Kantar

Trade Bledsoe and future pick for sac kings 1st and mclemore

Knight
Mcklemore
Warren (sac draft johnson)
Monroe Or Kantar
Len

Offer max to butler as well then we are set

Knight
MClemons
Butler
Monroe or Kantar
Len

Still with two draft pics

Trade morri for second rounders to stash

Monroe and Kanter are terrible and don't fit the Suns at all.

0% chance they're Suns next season

trading for 6th is a little low. Most of the really top guys you'd want will be gone. Trade for Knicks or Magic pick or don't do it at all

Butler is fine, but no way Chicago lets him go with Rose's health up in the air. There's a higher chance they'd trade Rose than let Butler go
Mr-Al
Senior

Post#1393 » by Mr-Al » Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 am

Damkac wrote:Love's options:

That's a tough choice.

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing about Love, why the **** would come here
Mr-Al
Senior

Post#1394 » by Mr-Al » Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 am

Saberestar wrote:
Knight, 23, talked openly about liking the idea of an all Big Blue Nation backcourt with Bledsoe, 25, on Planet Orange.

"I thought it was fine," Knight told SiriusXM NBA Radio. "I think it's really just about making the right play. I enjoy playing with Eric because Eric is, first, he's a great talent and he's not a selfish player. He's very, very unselfish. He's trying to make the right play, trying to win. As far as playing with Eric goes, I think it's a great thing because you have two players who can attack at any time. Instead of having one team focus on just one of us, being able to have two guys who can really break down a defense at any time, I think will not only make it easy for myself but also make it easier for him as well.
"If Eric was a selfish guy, then I think it wouldn't work but both of us being pretty unselfish guys and really just wanting to win and also being familiar with each other, I think that helps the situation."

Any NBA team can use salary cap space to sign Knight to an offer sheet in July but the Suns would be able to match it to retain him. Phoenix also could negotiate a deal with an extra year, as they did with Bledsoe for his five-year contract.

"For myself, just doing what I'm comfortable with and what's best for myself and for my family," Knight told SiriusXM NBA Radio. "I can't speak on that until I know what's going on and that won't be until July."

Knight did talk plenty about a major role with the Suns, who already envision his intelligence, maturity and willingness to speak up as the makings of a future leader.

"I'll continue to do the same things that I did this past year to continue to get better," Knight said. "For me, it's more of a team thing. I really want to try to push the guys on the Suns and this organization to be better, not just myself. I think true leaders make people around them better and that's what it's going to take for us to really take that next step. We've got to have each and every guy get better, not just myself but our entire team has to take steps this summer. It starts right now."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /27760809/

Nice to hear.

How does Knight communicate with Bled at all?

He must use sign language or something
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1395 » by thamadkant » Fri May 22, 2015 10:15 am

NoKneeBledsoe wrote:
Cutter wrote:
1UPZ wrote:

I understand what you're trying to say..
but to get technical... you could have a house "worth" 2 million and only owe 500K in mortgage, but the "only" "REAL" thing there is your mortgage and your debt. That 2 million dollar value is arbitrary until you sell your house for that price/value, you pay off your debt and keep the left over money.

I mean, your house can catch fire any second, insurance aside, your "2 million" dollar house is gone and you are still left with a 500K mortgage.

Basically equity is not money in the bank... equity is pseudo wealth... until you cash out and sell, its the bank's property.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1396 » by thamadkant » Fri May 22, 2015 10:17 am

RunDogGun wrote:
1UPZ wrote:

:lol: By far the best thing you've posted.

Top 10 IMO.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1397 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Mr-Al wrote:
NoKneeBledsoe wrote:I say we offer Greg Monroe or Kantar

Trade Bledsoe and future pick for sac kings 1st and mclemore

Knight
Mcklemore
Warren (sac draft johnson)
Monroe Or Kantar
Len

Offer max to butler as well then we are set

Knight
MClemons
Butler
Monroe or Kantar
Len

Still with two draft pics

Trade morri for second rounders to stash

Monroe and Kanter are terrible and don't fit the Suns at all.

0% chance they're Suns next season

trading for 6th is a little low. Most of the really top guys you'd want will be gone. Trade for Knicks or Magic pick or don't do it at all

Butler is fine, but no way Chicago lets him go with Rose's health up in the air. There's a higher chance they'd trade Rose than let Butler go

Yeah, people should go read the Detroit board quotes about Monroe or just look at his shot chart. We you can't shoot past about 7 feet (avg shot around 4 ft) and still hit only at 50%, that's bad. Add no rim protection and little D I'm not sure why people are so infatuated with him.

As for Kanter, he was a good backup big for OKC just because they needed one, but he is SO bad at D that Utah went from like almost last to like a top 5 D after trading him. That should tell you something. Kanter may be good for OKC playing 15 minutes against backups, but nothing more than that, and should get very few minutes in a playoff series.

And I was also wonder why "Mklemore" changed his name to "MClemons" with the addition of Butler in that above scenario
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1398 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Mr-Al wrote:
Damkac wrote:Love's options:

That's a tough choice.

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing about Love, why the **** would come here

It is doubtful, but I he may hate all the spotlight in Cleveland, and if that is the case, the same goes true for playing in LA or NY. If they don't do well, everyone will point at him because he is the best player (unless people think Melo is better..but regardless, Knicks fans will likely back Melo and blame Love if things don't turn out well). So it's all what he wants.

You pitch him....there won't be quite the media scrutiny you have in Cleveland or one of the major markets, and heaps of blame going your way. People will never blame Melo or Kobe in those markets, and you will have to defer to one of them anyway. Once Kobe leaves, everything will fall on your shoulders for the most successful NBA team ever, and people will expect you to deliver, even if you don't have an adequate supporting cast. Plus, they also have Randle.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1399 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:24 pm

1UPZ wrote:
NoKneeBledsoe wrote:
Cutter wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't know why, but I cracked up when I read that. Good job.

I understand what you're trying to say..
but to get technical... you could have a house "worth" 2 million and only owe 500K in mortgage, but the "only" "REAL" thing there is your mortgage and your debt. That 2 million dollar value is arbitrary until you sell your house for that price/value, you pay off your debt and keep the left over money.

I mean, your house can catch fire any second, insurance aside, your "2 million" dollar house is gone and you are still left with a 500K mortgage.

Basically equity is not money in the bank... equity is pseudo wealth... until you cash out and sell, its the bank's property.

He's actually in a fairly good position. It also depends on how much he put down and when. If he put down $100K, then that money could be at risk if he needs to sell soon, and house values drop 10%...he'd lose $27K. But if he put down 20% or $54K, and built up $46K in equity, he's in decent shape...it would take another 20% downturn to wipe out the equity.

And typically house prices rise in the long term, but they have been going up and down fast the last 15 years. With a stock you own 100%, so a 10% drop isn't as bad, because you only lose 10%, but if you only own 20% of your house, a 10% drop wipes out half of your equity, so you incur a 50% loss on your investment.

But as RDG mentioned, the tax deductions are nice.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#1400 » by RunDogGun » Fri May 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Mr-Al wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:You'd have to start Tucker then, because Warren isn't close to being the defender you'd need. I still find it strange that in some arguments people say defense wins championships,yet find any way they can from excluding one of our best defenders but add mainly offense oriented players (I'm not saying you Letsgo).

lol no

Your statement would be somewhat true if we were anywhere close to contending

Defense wins championships?

**** fantastic, trade Tucker to a contender so he can help them win a championship

RunDogGun wrote:because Warren isn't close to being the defender you'd need

Yeah guys, if we want the 13th pick next year, we're really going to need Tucker's somewhat above-average defense, god forbid we commit to Warren and get the 11th, or 12th pick

Unless we somehow hand a miracle and get a really big player this summer that puts us in the playoffs for sure (not happening), starting Tucker next season is one of the most terrible ideas I can think of

Why do we want to commit to Warren, he is just that terrible 14th pick that so many here hate so much? :roll: Playing Tucker and Warren can actually happen, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

You don't ditch your most versatile defenders. Now if trading Tucker helps us get a star player, then duh, but trading him just because fans think he hurts Warren's development, seems crazy to me. And it won't happen anyways.

Return to Phoenix Suns