ImageImageImage

Game 50: Toronto Raptors @ Phoenix Suns - Debut of the Great Earl Watson

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,379

Re: Game 50: Toronto Raptors @ Phoenix Suns - Debut of the Great Earl Watson 

Post#221 » by Puff » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:17 am

Well the wolves have are getting beat in LA by the Lakers and tomorrow they play the Clippers in LA. On the 4th of February they return home for a 3 game home stand prior to the All Star break.

Does Mitchell get fired prior to Midnight on Feb 3rd or the morning of Feb 4th?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#222 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:28 am

Puff wrote:I can understand why they whacked Hornacek at this time. If you checked out the stands they were empty on the top deck and half empty on the lower deck. I expect they have surveyed the season ticket holders and are not getting many takers for next year. They are just trying to give some hope for next season. I also checked out the Lakers/ Wolves game and the Laker stands appear to be full. They obviously have a much better fan base that stays loyal through thick and thin.

Well, and the fact that the LA Lakers live in a town with the 2nd largest population in the U.S., have sold out tickets every year ahead of time and waiting lists, that really isn't a very valid comparison. It is more of a celebrity fest and people watching Kobe go out.

And the stands have been empty for awhile, and as the poll I posted in the hornacek fired thread says, it wasn't because of Hornacek.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#223 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:32 am

letsgosuns wrote:The Suns post game showed some of Watson's press conference and he said Goodwin is unlike any other player in the league. He then compared Goodwin to Gary Payton. No joke. He said Goodwin has a bright future. Firing Hornacek might end up being the best thing that happens to Goodwin's career. A lot of fans on here said they did not care if Goodwin was traded as a throw-in to any trade. Now look at the strides he has made already finally getting some real playing time. He looks like he could turn into an awesome player.

Yeah, Goodwin's definitely the next Gary Payton.

The guy had a great game tonight. Lets not overreact to much, though I know that's your M.O. If he puts up stats like this the rest of the season, I will happily admit I underestimated him. But still. Gary Payton? No.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#224 » by Asif16 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:33 am

Hey guys. Great game.

Dont worry not here to gloat. I actually came to see how we can work out a Markieff Morris trade. He'd be a perfect fit for us
Asif16
RealGM

Post#225 » by Asif16 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:35 am

Patterson + J.Johnson + TOR 2016 1st

For

Tucker + Morris

How do you guys feel about this?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#226 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:38 am

Asif16 wrote:Patterson + J.Johnson + TOR 2016 1st

For

Tucker + Morris

I'm pretty sure 90%+ of this board would do that in a heartbeat. And if you had that added toughness, and PJ's defense, I think you could battle Cleveland fairly well. Markieff dominated Love in a game last year. When he is motivated he can be VERY good, and I think being close to his brother would do that. I think part of the reason he played like he did tonight was to audition for you guys.
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#227 » by letsgosuns » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:40 am

bwgood77 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:The Suns post game showed some of Watson's press conference and he said Goodwin is unlike any other player in the league. He then compared Goodwin to Gary Payton. No joke. He said Goodwin has a bright future. Firing Hornacek might end up being the best thing that happens to Goodwin's career. A lot of fans on here said they did not care if Goodwin was traded as a throw-in to any trade. Now look at the strides he has made already finally getting some real playing time. He looks like he could turn into an awesome player.

The guy had a great game tonight. Lets not overreact to much, though I know that's your M.O. If he puts up stats like this the rest of the season, I will happily admit I underestimated him. But still. Gary Payton? No.

I did not say he reminded ME of Gary Payton. I was quoting what Watson said. All I was pointing out was that Goodwin finally has a coach that believes in him. Hornacek obviously never did. If he did, Goodwin would not have been stuck on the bench for 2+ years and only get to play because three veteran guards are injured. The only reason Goodwin played was because Hornacek was forced to do it. He had no choice. No other players were available. Hornacek was even playing Price over Goodwin.
Asif16
RealGM

Post#228 » by Asif16 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:44 am

bwgood77 wrote:

For

Tucker + Morris

I'm pretty sure 90%+ of this board would do that in a heartbeat. And if you had that added toughness, and PJ's defense, I think you could battle Cleveland fairly well. Markieff dominated Love in a game last year. When he is motivated he can be VERY good, and I think being close to his brother would do that. I think part of the reason he played like he did tonight was to audition for you guys.

Great then :). Lets call up the GM's and make it happen haha

And yes, being closer to his brother is just one of the reasons we think Markieff would be really thrive here. I mentioned this on the raps board to go along with:

-He wants out of PHX (Iffy relationship with PHX Front office), so just being traded would make him happy. (Correct me if im wrong)
-Being traded to a playoff contender
-Potential STARTING PF for a playoff contender. (99% he will be)
-He moves really close to his brother (Detroit-Toronto)
-He and Lowry are really good friends (Trains together in offseason. Both from philly)
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#229 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:46 am

letsgosuns wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I did not say he reminded ME of Gary Payton. I was quoting what Watson said. All I was pointing out was that Goodwin finally has a coach that believes in him. Hornacek obviously never did. If he did, Goodwin would not have been stuck on the bench for 2+ years and only get to play because three veteran guards are injured. The only reason Goodwin played was because Hornacek was forced to do it. He had no choice. No other players were available. Hornacek was even playing Price over Goodwin.

Guess what? Watson is forced to play Goodwin because of those same injuries. Would he have played him as much with Bledsoe, Knight and Price healthy? Likely not. I mean that is a ridiculous post, because the EXACT same circumstances exist.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#230 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:48 am

Asif16 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

For

Tucker + Morris

And yes, being closer to his brother is just one of the reasons we think Markieff would be really thrive here. I mentioned this on the raps board to go along with:

-He wants out of PHX (Iffy relationship with PHX Front office), so just being traded would make him happy. (Correct me if im wrong)
-He and Lowry are really good friends (Trains together in offseason. Both from philly)

I almost mentioned that I thought him and Lowry are good friends. Does the Toronto forum sign off on such a move? PP, JJ AND a first rounder? That is a no brainer for Phx imo.
letsgosuns
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#231 » by letsgosuns » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:51 am

bwgood77 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Guess what? Watson is forced to play Goodwin because of those same injuries. Would he have played him as much with Bledsoe, Knight and Price healthy? Likely not. I mean that is a ridiculous post, because the EXACT same circumstances exist.

Whatever. I watched the clip and interpreted it the way I did. I do not remember Hornacek ever having such high praise for Goodwin.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#232 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:52 am

Read the Raptors RealGM thread during the game. Favorite quote,

"Devin Booker will be a superstar."
Asif16
RealGM

Post#233 » by Asif16 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:54 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Asif16 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I almost mentioned that I thought him and Lowry are good friends. Does the Toronto forum sign off on such a move? PP, JJ AND a first rounder? That is a no brainer for Phx imo.

Yeah most of our posters are on board with it. But obviously with our fanbase being so large, there are always people who are gonna have different opinions.

Some fans have voiced their displeasure about acquring Kieff based on his recent altercations with the coach and tensions with the PHX front office. Possibly thinking he might ruin our chemistry both on and off the court and be some sort of a trouble maker.

Outside of the towel throwing incident (which he apologized for), has there been really any other problems with him? I think he's a great guy who just needs a change of scenery
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#234 » by LukasBMW » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:54 am

What a great series of events!

- We put on a good show but still lose and protect the tank.

- Watson somehow motivates Keef and Keef scores 30 points.

This sets off the perfect offseason!

- Top 5 pick
- Trade Keef and Knight on draft day in a blockbuster
Asif16
RealGM

Post#235 » by Asif16 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:54 am

jcsunsfan wrote:Read the Raptors RealGM thread during the game. Favorite quote,

"Devin Booker will be a superstar."

The man is SMOOTH AF. No joke. Dudes a keeper
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#236 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:59 am

letsgosuns wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:

Whatever. I watched the clip and interpreted it the way I did. I do not remember Hornacek ever having such high praise for Goodwin.

Fair enough, but guess who coached Archie to get him to the level where he is today. Hornacek. Did it require benching him so he would work harder? He has been mentioned as one of the hardest workers. Was he mad he didn't get playing time sooner? Sure. So did he probably work harder? Sure. Part of the reason is we have so many guards, but Archie has looked awful MOST of the time he has played until probably the last few weeks. You can't (or shouldn't) assume, oh, Watson plays him 40+ minutes and Watson is the best coach out there for Goodwin, because Hornacek has been the guy working with the young guy for 2+ years.
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,379

Post#237 » by Puff » Wed Feb 3, 2016 6:01 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Puff wrote:I can understand why they whacked Hornacek at this time. If you checked out the stands they were empty on the top deck and half empty on the lower deck. I expect they have surveyed the season ticket holders and are not getting many takers for next year. They are just trying to give some hope for next season. I also checked out the Lakers/ Wolves game and the Laker stands appear to be full. They obviously have a much better fan base that stays loyal through thick and thin.

Well, and the fact that the LA Lakers live in a town with the 2nd largest population in the U.S., have sold out tickets every year ahead of time and waiting lists, that really isn't a very valid comparison. It is more of a celebrity fest and people watching Kobe go out.

And the stands have been empty for awhile, and as the poll I posted in the hornacek fired thread says, it wasn't because of Hornacek.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have no idea what poll you are talking about. Who participated in this poll? Were all the season ticket holders polled? Were all the sponsors paying for advertising in the arena and on TV polled? Were all the co owners with money invested in the Suns Polled?

The fact remains coaches are fired when the stands are empty on a consistent basis with no end in sight. Hornacek just happened to be the coach, this time. It happened to Gentry, last time. It will be somebody else, next time.

I agree that the Lakers are unique and have a much larger fan base to draw from and probably not fair comparison. I actually was not trying to compare them to the Suns but was amazed that so many fans continue to follow a 9 win team. Correction a 10 win team.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#238 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 3, 2016 6:12 am

Puff wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have no idea what poll you are talking about. Who participated in this poll? Were all the season ticket holders polled? Were all the sponsors paying for advertising in the arena and on TV polled? Were all the co owners with money invested in the Suns Polled?

The fact remains coaches are fired when the stands are empty on a consistent basis with no end in sight. Hornacek just happened to be the coach, this time. It happened to Gentry, last time. It will be somebody else, next time.

I agree that the Lakers are unique and have a much larger fan base to draw from and probably not fair comparison. I actually was not trying to compare them to the Suns but was amazed that so many fans continue to follow a 9 win team. Correction a 10 win team.

I won't respond to the rest of your rant, but this is the poll I was talking about.[tweet]https://twitter.com/azcsports/status/694169144372170752[/tweet]
Sunsss
Analyst
And1: 1,074

Post#239 » by Sunsss » Wed Feb 3, 2016 6:22 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGP6_DhOPX0[/youtube]
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#240 » by Frank Lee » Wed Feb 3, 2016 6:28 am

letsgosuns wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
letsgosuns wrote:

Watson said he was wiry strong like Payton... and could play the 1, 2, or 3... I don't think he stretched it much further... but clearly, he has approached Goodwin with supportive confidence.... much like his man crush on MoBro. Sometimes a fannypat is more effective than a swift kick.
What ? Me Worry ?

Return to Phoenix Suns