Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

GotEm
Sophomore
And1: 109

Re: The Boogie Watch 

Post#1001 » by GotEm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:43 am

ginobiliflops wrote:
Phystic wrote:
GotEm wrote:I think Ryan McDonough should've cashed in with his assets. Both Miami picks plus the Suns pick this season, Warren, Len and one of either Bender/Chriss should've done the trick.

Are you crazy? Thank the good lord you aren't in our Front Office. :crazy: :noway:

5 lotto picks for a potential 1 year rental. Yikes. I wanted Boogie but nowhere near that much.

I'd only make that offer if Bledsoe can assure me that Cousins will resign and if his agent does too.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#1002 » by AtheJ415 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:47 am

GotEm wrote:
Phystic wrote:
GotEm wrote:I think Ryan McDonough should've cashed in with his assets. Both Miami picks plus the Suns pick this season, Warren, Len and one of either Bender/Chriss should've done the trick.

Are you crazy? Thank the good lord you aren't in our Front Office. :crazy: :noway:

Once Cousins goes off and helps lead the Pelicans to the playoffs like Harden did in Houston, their gonna regret not offering that making the deal. He's not gonna have any more baggage now that he's out of dysfunctional Sacramento. Unless those 3 first rd picks all turn into superstars that are better than Cousins which I think is unlikely. Bledsoe/Booker/Cousins plus some young prospects like Chriss or Bender, Ulis would be a top 4 seed in the West in their first full season together.

No. They aren't. The goal is not to make the playoffs. The goal is not to get a top 4 seed. 5 lotto picks including a top 3 and a top 4 with another potentially landing in the top 3 is the grossest overpay for a superstar with baggage that I've ever seen proposed.

And yes, he will. There is plenty of blame to go around on both parties here. Cousins was a very big part of the problem, even if Sac was at least equally at fault.

How is the 3rd the criteria? All 3 would have to become better than Cousins for the trade not to be worth it? Are you kidding me? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#1003 » by Phystic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:47 am

ginobiliflops wrote:
Phystic wrote:

5 lotto picks for a potential 1 year rental. Yikes. I wanted Boogie but nowhere near that much.

Ya I wouldn't of minded landing Boogie for a good price. But I don't want to mortgage everything we've put together on an unpredictable 18 month rental of an emotional guy like Boogie. I think our rumored offer is right in line with a fair return and good value for us.
GotEm
Sophomore

Post#1004 » by GotEm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:48 am

Any chance that Vivek/Vlade are incompetent enough to see the negative reaction to the Cousins trade and actually fail the physical of Evans or Hield or something just so they can get out of this deal?

I know it won't ever be the same with them and Cousins again so maybe they just deal him to the Lakers or us instead?

lol I know, I'm dreaming.
GotEm
Sophomore

Post#1005 » by GotEm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:50 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
GotEm wrote:
Phystic wrote:

Once Cousins goes off and helps lead the Pelicans to the playoffs like Harden did in Houston, their gonna regret not offering that making the deal. He's not gonna have any more baggage now that he's out of dysfunctional Sacramento. Unless those 3 first rd picks all turn into superstars that are better than Cousins which I think is unlikely. Bledsoe/Booker/Cousins plus some young prospects like Chriss or Bender, Ulis would be a top 4 seed in the West in their first full season together.

No. They aren't. The goal is not to make the playoffs. The goal is not to get a top 4 seed. 5 lotto picks including a top 3 and a top 4 with another potentially landing in the top 3 is the grossest overpay for a superstar with baggage that I've ever seen proposed.

And yes, he will. There is plenty of blame to go around on both parties here. Cousins was a very big part of the problem, even if Sac was at least equally at fault.

How is the 3rd the criteria? All 3 would have to become better than Cousins for the trade not to be worth it? Are you kidding me? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sorry, I meant any 1 of the 3.
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#1006 » by Phystic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:54 am

GotEm wrote:
Phystic wrote:

The results the Pelicans see are irrelevant to us. We aren't them and their situation is not our situation. We have a lot of young assets a good young core with a couple of good veteran players. And a ton of cap space on top of that. Pelicans had to show Davis that they are willing to do what it takes to give him help, and the pieces they gave up made it literally a High Reward/Low Risk trade. You are proposing we give up 3 top 5 picks(2017 1st, Bender and Len) , a late lotto pick(Warren) and then the unknown Miami picks which are all but guaranteed lotto with the chance at being very high.... I don't even know what to say to that. That's an over pay.

Boogie comes with question marks, his teams have never won anything. His emotional maturity has not progressed. His agent came out and literally said he wouldn't resign with any team that trades for him. And he only has a year and a half left on his contract before he's due an enormous pay day(one of the biggest contract NBA has ever seen).

In what world should the Suns give up every piece they have for that kind of risk?
AZWildByNature
Senior
And1: 86

Post#1007 » by AZWildByNature » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:47 am

Just spit balling here.. What if, the Pels heard what the Suns were offering and the Kings declined it. Pels thought maybe we could get the same offer from the Suns if we got Boogie. Ala Rasheed Wallace trade from Blazers to Hawks to Pistons.
Mythrol
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#1008 » by Mythrol » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:49 am

I just wanted to come say Thank You to the Suns for pulling their better offer for Cousins and freaking out the Kings enough that they jumped on the Pelicans offer out of fear that it would be pulled as well.

I think it was clear from the Valde interview that when the other offer was pulled it freaked them out and they scrambled to accept anything with a decent pulse.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,101

Post#1009 » by RaisingArizona » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:50 am

Mythrol wrote:I just wanted to come say Thank You to the Suns for pulling their better offer for Cousins and freaking out the Kings enough that they jumped on the Pelicans offer out of fear that it would be pulled as well.

I think it was clear from the Valde interview that when the other offer was pulled it freaked them out and they scrambled to accept anything with a decent pulse.

No problem.
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#1010 » by Phystic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:50 am

I keep seeing all these comments about the huge treasure chest of assets the Celtics have. Outside of the BKN picks(Which admittedly are huge assets) what exactly do they have to offer? They have Bradley who a solid two way undersized SG, Smart who has been an utter disappointment given the hype he received in College. Then unproven players like Brown, Rozier and Young. I've seen a lot of hype and talk about Brown, and again I admit I haven't watched the Celtics at all, but what's the hype all about? He isn't producing much and doesn't seem to be playing much. I've seen people talking about him being a huge piece of the offer for Butler but don't see why.

Not talking trash, honestly I'm looking for a bit of clarification here.
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#1011 » by Phystic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:52 am

Mythrol wrote:I just wanted to come say Thank You to the Suns for pulling their better offer for Cousins and freaking out the Kings enough that they jumped on the Pelicans offer out of fear that it would be pulled as well.

That is indeed what it sounded like. Though I'm not sure we "pulled" any offer, more likely we refused to up our offer and he got butthurt. Like he did with the Lakers and Ingram.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1012 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:54 am

I would have done Phoenix, Miami, Len, Warren, Knight.

Essentially it's a top 5 pick vs Cousins as the other pieces are most likely replacable via FA or on the cheap.

So now we have to get the best player possible with that pick now that we've chosen it over Cousins.
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#1013 » by Phystic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:55 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:I would have done Phoenix, Miami, Len, Warren, Knight.

Essentially it's a top 5 pick vs Cousins as the other pieces are most likely replacable via FA or on the cheap.

So now we have to get the best player possible with that pick now that we've chosen it over Cousins.

We didn't choose the pick over Cousins. We chose our core over Cousins. Sounds like there was no issue giving up that pick.
GotEm
Sophomore

Post#1014 » by GotEm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 am

Phystic wrote:
GotEm wrote:
Phystic wrote:

The results the Pelicans see are irrelevant to us. We aren't them and their situation is not our situation. We have a lot of young assets a good young core with a couple of good veteran players. And a ton of cap space on top of that. Pelicans had to show Davis that they are willing to do what it takes to give him help, and the pieces they gave up made it literally a High Reward/Low Risk trade. You are proposing we give up 3 top 5 picks(2017 1st, Bender and Len) , a late lotto pick(Warren) and then the unknown Miami picks which are all but guaranteed lotto with the chance at being very high.... I don't even know what to say to that. That's an over pay.

Boogie comes with question marks, his teams have never won anything. His emotional maturity has not progressed. His agent came out and literally said he wouldn't resign with any team that trades for him. And he only has a year and a half left on his contract before he's due an enormous pay day(one of the biggest contract NBA has ever seen).

In what world should the Suns give up every piece they have for that kind of risk?

It's not really every piece. They would still have Bledsoe and Booker, their two best. Plus they would also still have one of Bender/Chriss who both play the same position and also Ulis.

Bill Simmons said on his podcast today that the Suns should've tried to get Cousins by throwing everything besides Bledsoe/Booker at them. Because you can build around a big 3 of Booker/Bledsoe/Cousins. The whole way of making contenders in the NBA now is to form a big 3 first and then find role players who fit around them after.

As for the risk of him leaving in a year and a half, it's the same risk the Clippers took with Chris Paul and the same risk the Cavs took with Kevin Love. You obviously don't do it without getting assurances from Bledsoe that he can convince Cousins to stay and Cousins agent (I swear I think that's my 5th time typing that sentence in the last hour on this board haha).
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1015 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 am

The pick is the best asset we'd have given up, so in 3 years time it's going to be Cousins vs Pick.
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#1016 » by Phystic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:03 am

GotEm wrote:
Phystic wrote:
GotEm wrote:Once Cousins goes off and helps lead the Pelicans to the playoffs like Harden did in Houston, their gonna regret not offering that making the deal. He's not gonna have any more baggage now that he's out of dysfunctional Sacramento. Unless those 3 first rd picks all turn into superstars that are better than Cousins which I think is unlikely. Bledsoe/Booker/Cousins plus some young prospects like Chriss or Bender, Ulis would be a top 4 seed in the West in their first full season together.

It's not really every piece. They would still have Bledsoe and Booker, their two best. Plus they would also still have one of Bender/Chriss who both play the same position and also Ulis.

Bill Simmons said on his podcast today that the Suns should've tried to get Cousins by throwing everything besides Bledsoe/Booker at them. Because you can build around a big 3 of Booker/Bledsoe/Cousins. The whole way of making contenders in the NBA now is to form a big 3 first and then find role players who fit around them after.

As for the risk of him leaving in a year and a half, it's the same risk the Clippers took with Chris Paul and the same risk the Cavs took with Kevin Love. You obviously don't do it without getting assurances from Bledsoe that he can convince Cousins to stay and Cousins agent (I swear I think that's my 5th time typing that sentence in the last hour on this board haha).

This is a team game, and having a TEAM is important. And there are no assurances of a player resigning, especially a guy like Boogie. CP3 and Love are not even CLOSE to the same risk Cousins is. Both of those guys wanted out and lost nothing financially by switching teams. Cousins wanted to stay and lost $40million because of the trade. Trading away every major asset we have to get Cousins simply is a ridiculous overpay. There's a reason no team dropped a big offer for him, it wasn't necessary. Our offer was more than fair, and based on reports but potentially the best offer there was(depending on your views of the Detroit offer). If anything were to be added it would be our own lottery protected pick next year and that's it.

Oh and if you're hanging your hat on the fact that Bill Simmons holds the same stance as you, you should probably rethink that.
Phystic
Assistant Coach

Post#1017 » by Phystic » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:04 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:The pick is the best asset we'd have given up, so in 3 years time it's going to be Cousins vs Pick.

That doesn't make sense. The pick wasn't the sticking point. There's no reason to compare the player we draft to Cousins.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#1018 » by AtheJ415 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:06 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:The pick is the best asset we'd have given up, so in 3 years time it's going to be Cousins vs Pick.

Ignoring Warren, the Miami pick, and Len is absurd. Those aren't trivial pieces whatsoever.
Mythrol
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#1019 » by Mythrol » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:21 am

Phystic wrote:

That is indeed what it sounded like. Though I'm not sure we "pulled" any offer, more likely we refused to up our offer and he got butthurt. Like he did with the Lakers and Ingram.

I don't know. If the offer wasn't pulled then Vlade would be stupid to not accept what he himself termed "a better offer", or leverage the Suns offer to get more out of the Pels. The speed at which this happened leads me to believe there might be some truth to what he said about having a better offer then having it pulled.

It truly feels like the Kings were in a panic to get the trade done.
GotEm
Sophomore

Post#1020 » by GotEm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:29 am

I'd go hard after Paul George (younger and better than Butler) but Larry Bird isn't as stupid Vlade Divac :(

Return to Phoenix Suns