Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion 3: About Last Knight 

Post#1201 » by Kerrsed » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:50 am

cosmofizzo wrote:
Dude. Just because he's rich doesn't mean he isn't a human being.

I know, but its just kinda crazy. The entire time he has been on twitter he has only liked 20 posts, with that last one mentioning him playing for Orlando (Kinda throwing shade at the Suns if you ask me). But the guy that tweeted it then proceeded to illustrate why he doesnt want Knight anywhere near his Orlando Magic team. What are the odds of that?
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#1202 » by sunsbum » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:52 am

Ight boys! ease up, this kid has been cool as a cucumber. If his outlet is emojing some kind of savior tweet..So be it.
Flex is now your father.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Re: RE: Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion 3: About Last Knight 

Post#1203 » by King4Day » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:06 pm

AtheJ415 wrote:I do not for the life of me understand the desperation shown by some here to trade a bunch for a superstar. Essentially, begging for us to become the Houston Rockets--with a token superstar and no prayer of contending unless a few others join, but we'd be in the playoffs every year.

The goal isn't to simply make the playoffs. The best chance of contending is to play to our strengths (drafting), and not rush things. Trading our entire core, or even just a lot of it, for anyone is asinine.

I think it's because many felt we were close to getting cousins that the hopeful feeling is still there

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#1204 » by sunskerr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Favors would be a sick get especially if we can move Chandler.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#1205 » by Fo-Real » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Purely from a watching basketball standpoint...FOR THE LOVE OF ALL SACRED, PLEASE GET RID OF KNIGHT. I understand that if you can gain assets from Ty Chandler, Tucker, Barbs, Duds, you do it for the greater good obviously, but at least I enjoy watching all of those guys play basketball. I no longer want to see Brandon (crossover, jab step dribble the ball nowhere in a circle fake no one) Knight play wearing a Suns uniform ever again.
alphagorilla
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#1206 » by alphagorilla » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Knight, Len, suns18 top5, Mia18 for Drummond
Chandler, PJ, Warren, Ulis for Otto Porter, Mahinmi

Bledsoe, draft17
Booker, Barbosa
Porter, Dudley
Chriss, Bender
Drummond, Mahinmi

I'd be very excited going into next season with this lineup
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#1207 » by King4Day » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 pm

One more day until christmas!
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1208 » by BobbieL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:17 pm

I agree with the above poster - if the best you can do for Knight is an expiring contract and jeff Greene type deal, do it.

Tucker - I don't need a 1st for the guy but get something. I think the Suns will get a first rounder, too many teams involved. And a couple second rounders have value. You can always sign a guy and stash them/ Better than nothing

chandler - do not understand keeping him unless you totally don't see Len as the long term fit. If Ainge gets Butler, why wouldn't he double down and try to get Chandler and Tucker for Amir/Jerebko with the Clippers pick. Unless they need Amir Johnsons contract for Butler.

Portland - again, take on that Ezeli contract for Cavs 1st or even a high 2nd

Keep getting those assets
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#1209 » by Fo-Real » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:18 pm

DarkHawk wrote:One more day until christmas!

WE HOPE?!?!
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion 3: About Last Knight 

Post#1210 » by jredsaz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:23 pm

AtheJ415 wrote:
jredsaz wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:I do not for the life of me understand the desperation shown by some here to trade a bunch for a superstar. Essentially, begging for us to become the Houston Rockets--with a token superstar and no prayer of contending unless a few others join, but we'd be in the playoffs every year.

The goal isn't to simply make the playoffs. The best chance of contending is to play to our strengths (drafting), and not rush things. Trading our entire core, or even just a lot of it, for anyone is asinine.

No offense but odds are drafting and waiting will produce the same results. It will simply take longer to get there. I HOPE the Suns find the next Steph Curry in Lonzo ball, or Josh Jackson, or Markel Fultz but odds run strong against that.

Even with drafting well and building methodically we will be most likely top out somewhere around where the Rockets are right now. Adding stars gets you closer faster and I think it's proven effective.

There are legitimate arguments for sticking to a longterm plan but to act like it will definitely lead us to a better position than a player of Hardens caliber and the 3 seed in the West is actually asinine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app

In this scenario you are saying it will take longer to fail. That is the point. The window is open for longer. And no, it's not. Not if the goal is a title. If your goal is the 3 seed in the West then you would have a point, but since it's not you really don't.

And no, I'm advocating for contending against future teams, not current superteams that are forming due to a huge cap increase and a fluke deal in which the MVP is signed to almost no money. Trading for a player of Harden's caliber does nothing. Only trading for 4 of them would be a legit threat. It is drastically, and I mean drastically, smarter to actually build around guys who will be good when the Warriors are old--not to try to piece together a team that would somehow be better then them with players their ages. That team does not exist.

Again, you are assuming that our young core players will end up being better than the Wolves, Bucks, Nuggets, Celtics, Pelicans, etc. My goal is a championship as well and drafting extremely well doesn't guarantee you anything, ask the Thunder.

Second, the Warriors aren't a guarantee. They will have to spend huge and go into the luxury tax this summer. It's it extremely hard to keep a championship caliber team happy over the long term. Klay has two years after this. Draymond has three and a temper.

In the end building a core of assets through the the draft is important and we have done that. But acting like sitting on those assets is the only way to succeed and that by doing it we will be in line for a ring is silly.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion 3: About Last Knight 

Post#1211 » by jredsaz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:29 pm

blee732 wrote:
jredsaz wrote:

No offense but odds are drafting and waiting will produce the same results. It will simply take longer to get there. I HOPE the Suns find the next Steph Curry in Lonzo ball, or Josh Jackson, or Markel Fultz but odds run strong against that.

Even with drafting well and building methodically we will be most likely top out somewhere around where the Rockets are right now. Adding stars gets you closer faster and I think it's proven effective.

There are legitimate arguments for sticking to a longterm plan but to act like it will definitely lead us to a better position than a player of Hardens caliber and the 3 seed in the West is actually asinine.

I don't think the argument is to ONLY build through the draft. It needs to start there, but then you build through free agency rather than trades so you don't give up talent.

Look at the top teams:
GSW - Curry/Klay/Draymond from the draft, Durant from free agency
Spurs - Kawhi/Parker drafted, LA/Pau free agency
Cavs - Irving/Thompson drafted, Lebron both drafted and free agency. Only Love was traded.
LAC - Griffin/Jordan drafted, Paul traded

In the only cases where there was a trade (Love, Paul), they already had the necessary pieces from the draft/free agency or they just swindled the other team (BOS with the IT trade, HOU with the Harden trade. hindsight is 20/20, but doesn't change how lopsided those deals ended up being).

The only examples I can think of where a team sent a lot of assets to pick up star/superstar players are the Knicks for Melo and the Nets for the KG/Pierce. That obviously didn't work out well.

First, we have been drafting in the lottery for six years? Lots of building through the the draft already.

Second, if you look at any championship team you need a top five player and a couple top 25 players. I don't care how you get them, draft, free agency, trade, you got to get them.

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#1212 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Im fine consolidating some assets for an established player but if you do that you better be damn sure that player is going to be with you multiple years. McD has done this twice already with bledsoe and knight to very mixed results. Its why i understand some people being leery of Cousins and to some extent George because those guys can walk in a year and a half. You don't want to have a situation like orlando just had where you give up good assets then are forced to deal that guy for half of what you traded to get them because youre afraid you would lose them for nothing.

To me the best route is to get good organically then use a trade for a good player to put you over the top.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#1213 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:37 pm

jredsaz wrote:First, we have been drafting in the lottery for six years? Lots of building through the the draft already.

Second, if you look at any championship team you need a top five player and a couple top 25 players. I don't care how you get them, draft, free agency, trade, you got to get them.

Dude. Patience. GSW. OKC Thunder. Teams can be built through the draft. Yes, make the big trade if it is there. But don't stretch for a short term solution.

We do not have players colluding with one another to come to the Suns like Miami did. That happened once.

No Kevin Garnett has been on the market recently like when Boston got him (no Boogie is not even close).

Impatience will keep us on the treadmill forever constantly cycling through failed rebuilds.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#1214 » by sunsbum » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:49 pm

sunsbum wrote:Ight boys! ease up, this kid has been cool as a cucumber. If his outlet is emojing some kind of savior tweet..So be it.

I think I was really drunk last night, cannot figure out what this means. :nonono:
Flex is now your father.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#1215 » by BobbieL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Dave King posted this for possible Favors deals. I like the first one if you don't think Len is the answer. Favors is pretty cheaply signed. He will cost more in a year - but Chandler might be coming off books at that time . History with Watson and Okur. If you could get Favors for Tucker, Len and maybe some draft pick protection down the road - seems like a solid move and you still get your top 3 pick

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2017/2/22/14696546/what-could-favors-cost-the-suns-to-acquire-the-good-folks-at-slcdunk-com-tell-us
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#1216 » by Fo-Real » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Favors has underperformed his entire career from where he was projected to be. It is the reason he wasn't kept on NJ, it's the reason he can be let go from Utah. Add to that that he has had injury problems most of the time AT A YOUNG AGE ALREADY..... not gonna mortgage my future on this guy. He was supposed to be a franchise player, future Allstar, and now he will be on a third team at TWENTY FIVE YEARS OLD. Would rather add assets and go after drummond, sometimes you have to spend more money for quality, cheap isn't always the way to look, spend once and be right. I can spend extra and buy a Honda and be sure it runs and the a/c is cold for years.... or I can buy a Daewoo!!!!! and take my chances!!!
JJ13
Rookie
And1: 488

Post#1217 » by JJ13 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 pm

I'd rather go for Drummond as well. Him and Chriss down low is nasty.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,696

Post#1218 » by Qwigglez » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Yeah I think I'm going to have to pass on Favors now. Unless again, we only give up someone like Tucker and a 2nd round pick.

Drummond just doesn't strike me as a motivated and high IQ basketball player so I'd pass on him unless we can get him for a Cousins like package.

I would trade the Miami picks and/or a future pick + Warren for Butler. Mostly because his contract is for another 3 years, and I can see Warren getting 75-80% of what Butler got.
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#1219 » by Fo-Real » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Yeah I think I'm going to have to pass on Favors now. Unless again, we only give up someone like Tucker and a 2nd round pick.

Drummond just doesn't strike me as a motivated and high IQ basketball player so I'd pass on him unless we can get him for a Cousins like package.

I would trade the Miami picks and/or a future pick + Warren for Butler. Mostly because his contract is for another 3 years, and I can see Warren getting 75-80% of what Butler got.

Agreed
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#1220 » by BobbieL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Yeah I think I'm going to have to pass on Favors now. Unless again, we only give up someone like Tucker and a 2nd round pick.

Butler is still the top choice for a lot of reasons - just not sure Ryan or the guy in Chicago will pull the trigger on a deal

But if Ainge keeps waffling - Ryan needs to be ready to make a deal. Butler, Bledsoe, Booker would be damn good trio. Add in Bender or Chriss.

Return to Phoenix Suns