ImageImageImage

How does your realistic, ideal offseason go from here? Vol. 2

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

How does your realistic, ideal offseason go from here? Vol. 2 

Post#1 » by darealjuice » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:28 pm

I posted this last year around the same time and figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get people's thoughts collected again this year. Seems like the majority of us were in the Bender/Chriss camp at that point (I even predicted trading with Sac, but got the trade and draft picks wrong lol), and we also had a lot of support for going after Okafor (thank God we didn't trade the 4th pick for him like many of us were content with at the time lol).

So who do we chase in FA, if anyone? Who's your pick at #4? What are we doing with Sauce, Len, and Chandler this offseason? Is Bledsoe still around? Is Knight still in Phoenix or do we trade him for a new washing machine? What kind of extension are you offering TJ, if at all? What's the roster looking like next season? Details and justification are always good, but you don't have to write a novel lol. I'll post a couple of my scenarios in a little bit.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Re: How does your realistic, ideal offseason go from here? Vol. 2 

Post#2 » by NTB » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Draft Isaac with #4 assuming JJ is gone.
Draft Bell or Ojeleye with #34.

I don't expect any big move at FA period. I'd like to see Ingles though with a reasonable contract.

Sign Alan Williams for $8-12 M per year.
Sign Len if we can make a $12 M deal. If he costs more than 15M, bye bye Len.
But if we sign with both of them, Chandler must go.

Also no matter what happens, Knight has to be traded. I don't even care if we release him for free. I don't want to see we let him stay for trying to raise his value up.

I can't decide what we should do about Bledsoe. I'm OK with the decision McD will make.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#3 » by Saberestar » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:55 pm

A realistic but a little bit optimistic offseason....

Draft Josh Jackson at #4. Draft Caleb Swanigan at #32.

Trade Bledsoe for #9 and draft Ntilikina. Probably we need to receive another player for salary purposes (Devin Harris $4.4M)
Trade Brandon Knight and #54 to a team with cap space than can absorb his contract (like the Nets) or just receive a big expiring contract that we can waived before the start of the season for a future hard protected second round pick.

Sign Len or Williams to a long term contract. Only one of them. IF Chandler wants out, find him a team and sign Williams and Len if the price is not ridiculous.
Sign a veteran SG that can shoot the ball and defend.Jonathon Simmons would be my first option, but he needs to accept an small role as a fourth wing player. Sefolosha or Jodie Meeks are other possibilities.

Extend Warren (hopefully) offering him a $64M/4 years contract.

Ulis/Ntilikina/Devin Harris
Booker/Simmons /Barbosa
Warren/Jackson/DJJ
Bender/Dudley/Swanigan
Chriss/Chandler/Len or Williams

I would love this roster.This team has young talented players and good veteran bench players.

Add another two players to complete that 17 new roster...probably Frank Mason III goes undrafted, he can be a good option. Ronnie Price for his last season can be another decent option, Elijah Millsap too.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#4 » by darealjuice » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Like last year, I think the draft is going to dictate what we do with the rest of the offseason. I don't see us trading our pick this year after tanking like we did, so I'll assume we'll be drafting at 4. I'll spoiler my 2 scenarios, drafting a SF and drafting a PG, because they're most likely positions at 4 and it's easier to read.

1. Phoenix Suns draft Josh Jackson/Jayson Tatum/Johnathan Isaac with the 4th Pick
Spoiler:
If we go with a SF at the top of the draft, I assume that we're holding onto Bledsoe going into next season and building around him and Booker as our starting backcourt. I think Jackson will be off the board at #4, and while I prefer Tatum I think Isaac would be the more likely pick for the Suns at forward considering his physical profile, defensive versatility, and outside shooting, especially if they think he can play on the wing.

4th Pick: Josh Jackson/Jayson Tatum/Johnathan Isaac
32nd/54th Pick: Semi Ojeleye/Anzejs Pasecniks/Thomas Bryant/Caleb Swanigan/Bam Adebayo/Frank Jackson/Jonah Bolden/Wesley Iwundu/Josh Hart/Cameron Oliver/Kobi Simmons

I don't expect any major free agent signings. We'll probably chase after the star free agents like Hayward and veterans like Igoudala, but I can't see us signing any of our first options when we look to still be in a rebuilding phase. I'd offer Len at $10-12M a year, Williams around $8-10M a year, and trade Chandler if they both accept those offers. I would be surprised to see Big Sauce leave considering he's born/raised in AZ and we gave him his first shot in the league, but I'm all for him making his money if he gets the opportunity. I'd hold off offering TJ an extension in case we're more competitive than expected so we can maintain flexibility in case we're more competitive than expected going into next offseason. Knight needs to go for the best offer, I'm not even sure what to speculate his value is right now but I assume it'll be along the lines of expiring contracts and/or late draft picks.

PG: Bledsoe/Ulis
SG: Booker/Jones Jr/Barbosa/(Hart or Jackson or Iwundu or Simmons)
SF: Warren/(Jackson or Tatum or Isaac)/Bender/Jones Jr/Dudley/(Ojeleye or Iwundu)
PF: Chriss/Bender/Dudley
C: Chandler/(Len or Williams)/Bender or Len/Bender/Williams

It'd be interesting to see how we work rotations. There's a lot of players to get minutes, especially if we're prioritizing playing the young players, of which we had a ton of. Depending on improvements of our young players, we could be a decent team, but I would expect us to remain below .500 until they make the next jump.

2. Phoenix Suns draft Ball/Smith Jr/Fox with the 4th Pick
Spoiler:
If we draft a PG at the top of the draft, I assume Bledsoe is on his way out for future picks and/or young players, or which I wouldn't know where to start speculating. All we've heard is that the Suns love Ball, so I assume he'd be the pick if available. After that I prefer Smith Jr, but McDonough obviously has a love for Kentucky guards, so I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Fox.

4th Pick: Ball/Smith Jr/Fox
32nd/54th Pick: Semi Ojeleye/Anzejs Pasecniks/Thomas Bryant/Caleb Swanigan/Bam Adebayo/Frank Jackson/Jonah Bolden/Wesley Iwundu/Josh Hart/Cameron Oliver/Kobi Simmons

Again I expect us to chase the bigger name free agents and fail, and I'd offer Len at $10-12M a year, Williams around $8-10M a year, and trade Chandler if they both accept those offers. I would think about locking down TJ with an extension if he'll sign a relatively team-friendly one, considering we passed up on potentially elite SFs knowing we have him here. Knight still needs to go for whatever the best offer we can get for him is, but I won't speculate on exactly what that is.

PG: (Ball or Smith Jr or Fox)/Ulis
SG: Booker/Jones Jr/Barbosa/(Hart or Jackson or Iwundu or Simmons)
SF: Warren/Bender/Dudley/Jones Jr/(Ojeleye or Iwundu)
PF: Chriss/Bender/Dudley
C: Chandler/(Len or Williams)/Bender or Len/Bender/Williams

We'd have a back court rotation of the future fairly locked down with our drafted PG, Booker, and Ulis while being able to sign a veteran backup SG when needed, and Warren would look like our SF of the future. We'd probably be in for another top 5 pick next season with all these young players, so guys like Ayton, Bamba, Doncic, and Porter could become options for us depending on the Miami pick and our return from Bledsoe and Knight.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,671

Post#5 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:19 am

I forgot how much 4 for okafor talk there was last yr. Good thing that didn't happen.

My ideal situation is Jackson falling. If that doesnt happen my number 1 ideal scenario would be fox at 4 and them being able to trade Bledsoe for a pick that turns into Isaac. I'd also like isaac at 4 and bledsoe traded for a pick that becomes Smith or french frank. Hart is my favorite guy at 32.

I could also get behind fox at 4 and Bledsoe and chandler for Drummond.

In free agency all I want is no deals to role players longer than 2 years. Keep that cap sheet as clean as possible for 2 summers from now.

Would love for someone to take knight but I'm not optimistic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
batsmasher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#6 » by batsmasher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:00 am

I don't really have an ideal other than trading Bled.

Trading Bled gives us so much flexibility and the ability to pivot. If two years down the line we want to compete, the assets we get for Bled can be used.

Sauce re-signs. Draft a PG with the highest upside at 4 (Fox?). Flip Chandler for a neutral contract if possible. Draft the highest upside 5 with pick from Bled deal (Collins?).

Go hard with 4 year minimum non-guaranteed contracts for 2 or 3 freak athletes and have them play Summer League.

Bring in a tough love assistant coach to cut the airy fairy preacher stuff and drill some tough love into our youngens.

Flip Knight for slightly negative value if possible.

Bender starts on whatever horse meat LeBron uses and puts on 20lbs of pure muscle.

Keep Duds. He's too good a representation of us to trade.

So maybe I do have an ideal...
de'aaron fox will be a hof'er, don't @ me
m1chal
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#7 » by m1chal » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:46 am

Ideally, Ball falls to #4 and we draft him which leads to trading Bled either for another lottery pick in '17 or a future 1st. If Ball isn't there we take Jackson/Tatum/Fox - whoever is BPA according to McD. If it's Fox then Bled is still getting traded, if it's a SF we stay put at PG until the deadline and then trade Bled to the highest bidder.
IMO it's time for Chandler to go as well, I'd rather have a Len at $10-12m and Williams at $6-7 combo than aging, injury prone Tyson. Duds and Price are enough to play the mentors' roles. Barbosa can go as well. I'd love to trade Knight too but I think I'd wait till the deadline trying to rebuild some of his value.
I'm not signing any other vets like Iguodala but I would sign a bunch of undrafted/NBDL guys looking for that diamond in the dirt. I'd focus on two-way, unselfish, high IQ players. I hate watching ISO bball all the time.
I'm embracing youth movement again unless a star becomes available, say Butler. If so my only untouchables are Booker, Chriss and Bender, maybe the 4th pick.
It probably means another frustrating season and yet another high draft pick but so be it, we're not beating the Warriors or the Spurs anyways.
Pass-first PGs and patience, my friends, are the key.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#8 » by Damkac » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:11 pm

- !DRAFT FUTURE STAR!
- Trade Bledsoe and Chandler for good return
- Get rid of Knight somehow
- Extend Warren
- Resign one of Len/Williams
- Don't sign any FA
- Learn Booker how to defend
- Buy Bender, Chriss, Ulis and DJJ a lot of protein shakes
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#9 » by BobbieL » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:59 am

I guess a lot depends on who you get at 4. If say Lonzo Ball is there - I probably trade Bledsoe, hopefully to Dallas for the 9th pick

But if you trade Bledsoe - that is really making this a youth movement. I am torn. I would prefer JJ and Bledsoe over Ball and the 9th pick.

Center: if I am paying anybody 13m -- its probably Len, find a taker for Chandler; sign Sauce for a good deal, under 10m per year

Knight - just dump him

Ingles - not that high on him - don't waste cap space on role players

Knight - whatever - just dump him

Warren - probably extend him
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#10 » by nevetsov » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:31 am

After following the play-offs, I'm convinced the Dubs are going to own the NBA for the next 5 seasons. I think this is the catalyst for us choosing to stay the course with the youth movement.

I'd try for #5 from the Kings for Bledsoe and TJ. They already have SG, PF and C locked up with high upside youth, and this way they lock down SF and PG, while being able draft a guy like Ntilikina or DSJ at #10 as Bledsoe's understudy.

So at #4 and #5, we draft whoever is left out of:

#4 Jackson, Tatum
#5 Ball, Fox

I think Fultz goes #1 and Monk goes #3 to Phi.
LAL can only take one of Ball, Jackson, Fox or Tatum. For this exercise I'll assume Ball.

That would give us:
Ulis, Fox
Booker, Barbosa
Jackson, DJJ
Chriss, Bender
Chandler, Williams (re-signed).

We only re-sign Len if we can use Chandler to dump Knight. If not, Len walks and Chandler is replaced in the starting lineup by Bender at the All-star break. Dudley the gets the backup PF minutes until we can draft a PF next season with the MIA pick and a SG with our pick.

Fox, Ulis
Booker, 2018 PHX 1St
Jackson, DJJ
Bender, 2018 MIA 1St
Chriss, Williams
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#11 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:30 pm

1A. Draft Ball.
1B. Draft Tatum.

2A. Trade Bledsoe, Knight and Chandler in one or more moves that gets us Zach Collins, short-term contracts and a future draft pick or two.
2B. Trade TJ, Knight and Chandler in one or more moves that gets us Zach Collins, short-term contracts and a future draft pick or two.

3. Re-sign Alan Williams. S&T Len for a trade exception.

4. Fill out the roster with high-character vets. If any bad long-term contracts remain, try to trade them for short-term contracts of a greater amount (for those teams interested in chasing FAs).
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,172

Post#12 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:12 am

At this point, my realistic ideal offseason is drafting someone with the #4 pick. I'm starting to get to that point I did last season where I'm tired of talking about prospects and speculating, and I just want to know who the new member of our team is.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#13 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:03 pm

If we did trade Bled but did not draft a point guard, how about Shaun Livingston? He's been a great sixth man the past three or four seasons. Let's give him a shot with our young guys and see what we can do.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,101

Post#14 » by RaisingArizona » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 pm

1. Draft Isaac at 4
2. At 32 take BPA
3. At 54 take draft and stash
4. Resign Len & Sauce for deals under 10m
5. Stay out of FA unless something crazy like Blake or Haywood want to come here all of a sudden
6. Not sure about Knight? Trade if can get decent return? If not, keep and see if he can turn it around.
7. See if market for Chandler is warm. If so, deal him.

Bled/Ulis
Booker/Knight?/Barbosa
TJ/Isaac/Bender/Chriss
Chriss/Bender/Isaac
Chandler/Len/Sauce
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,185

Post#15 » by Biff » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:52 pm

The Warriors are going to win every year as long as they keep their core together so I agree it makes the most sense to stick with youth. I think it makes almost zero sense to trade for Kevin Love. By the time the Warriors are done winning dude is going to be out of his prime and not much help to us. Our young guys will just be entering their prime around then. I'm also on the trade Bledsoe bandwagon. He's a great player but he's too old to fit with our core group of young players. Like Love, he'll be out of his prime by the time Booker, et al., are ready to make some deep runs into the playoffs. I'd rather we get some good value for him now while he's still in his prime and try to get some younger pieces.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#16 » by RunDogGun » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:28 pm

I still like Tatum at the #4 pick, have him spell both Booker and TJ from the bench, with even some play with all three playing at the same time. With both Williams and Len up for a bigger payday, I'd like to get a big at #32. I'd like to figure out a deal which allows Knight to move on to a different situation without giving up good assets. Best bet might be an expiring contract, which may be a few million over what Knight is getting now.

I'd really like to see both Chriss and Bender going to some big's camps, and both getting into the weight room as much as possible. And have Ulis work on his shot.

Not concerned about FA signings until I see how the draft goes, and our needs.

Trade Bledsoe or not... I guess it depends on what we get in return. He has put up good numbers, but I'm just not sure he is the pg which will advance our youth.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#17 » by rsavaj » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 pm

If there's some real weight to these KP rumors, my ideal(and not too far-fetched) offseason consists of trading Bledsoe/Warren/Chriss/#4/MIA pick for KP/Noah and then celebrating
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,101

Post#18 » by RaisingArizona » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:46 pm

rsavaj wrote:If there's some real weight to these KP rumors, my ideal(and not too far-fetched) offseason consists of trading Bledsoe/Warren/Chriss/#4/MIA pick for KP/Noah and then celebrating

That's a hell of a lot to give up. I would hate to part with Chriss now. He showed a lot down the stretch of the season. I don't do that deal. Call me crazy.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#19 » by Damkac » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Trade Booker, Warren, Chriss, Ulis, Bender, Suns 4th pick, both Miami picks and as many future unprotected pick as it's needed for Melo, Love and DeAndre Jordan. They are all proven winners and will make Suns a playoffs team! $$$$$$
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#20 » by mos_def » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:15 am

I'm not a Suns fan, but I think you guys get Porzingis and trade 4th pick, Bledsoe, and essentially Chriss or Bender or a pick.

Return to Phoenix Suns