ImageImageImage

Booker Discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where would you rank last year's Booker on the 2004-05 team?

Best player
11%
2nd best
19%
3rd best
36%
4th best
24%
5th best
10%

Total votes: 103

MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,205

Re: Booker Discussion, news and highlights 

Post#1301 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:38 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
DA was holding Book back

CP3 and Mont definitely were! Book needs to seriously start shooting more 3s though. Vogel mentioned I believe before the season started or maybe after a couple of games that Booker should be taking more pull-up 3s. Well... the last 3 games Book has only taken 3, 3, and 4 three-point attempts. And even the last 3 point attempt against the Grizzlies was a heave at the last second.

Though... it is hard to argue with the results, since the Suns are winning.
You're crazy if you think Booker didn't learn a lot from CP3. I don't think he's the guy he had become with Chris.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1302 » by bigfoot » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:33 am

2015 NBA redraft would have Booker going number 1
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,732

Post#1303 » by Qwigglez » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:11 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
DA was holding Book back

CP3 and Mont definitely were! Book needs to seriously start shooting more 3s though. Vogel mentioned I believe before the season started or maybe after a couple of games that Booker should be taking more pull-up 3s. Well... the last 3 games Book has only taken 3, 3, and 4 three-point attempts. And even the last 3 point attempt against the Grizzlies was a heave at the last second.

Though... it is hard to argue with the results, since the Suns are winning.
You're crazy if you think Booker didn't learn a lot from CP3. I don't think he's the guy he had become with Chris.

Oh without a doubt. It was a joke they were holding him back. Though I think statistically... Booker wouldn't be averaging this many assists with CP3 still here (should be obvious).
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1304 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:09 am

I was too traumatised to see Point Book would work.

His work ethic to be better every season is unbelievable.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,830

Post#1305 » by Saberestar » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:24 am

Can we all agree finally about Book being the third best player in the history of the franchise only after Nash and Barkley?

He can be easily the best ever in a few years...he is that great.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,484

Post#1306 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:45 pm

Saberestar wrote:Can we all agree finally about Book being the third best player in the history of the franchise only after Nash and Barkley?

I don't know how I feel about including Barkley. There are so many ways to consider "best" for all time greats in general and for the Suns.

I'd put Booker ahead of Barkley for a few reasons. He has been a Sun for more years, his whole career, also made the finals, etc. Barkley was a vet we traded for to get us a ring but he hasn't. It's almost like to include Barkley (largely because he had a great entire career) you would have to put CP3 and KD in the mix.

Barkley helped us get to the finals, barely, considering we almost lost in the first round, and then never got past the 2nd round. In his 4th year we didn't even have a winning record I don't think...maybe we were 42-40 but I have 40-42 in my head. We went to two WCF before his arrival.

Nash didn't spend his entire career either. It's hard to compare him too. He made us so good but was he better than Book? I think individual accolades such as MVPs are hard to take into consideration given the competition varies so much. Nash wouldn't have won it in most years.

But I think there is an argument for all 3 of them depending on how you look at it. I'm a huge KJ fan obviously and his career was derailed but if I was looking at something like best first five years for players the Suns had when they were young, KJ was the best for his first 5. Alvan Adams may have had the best rookie year. I don't remember a guy like Walter Davis as much.

But with Book climbing up scoring charts, setting records, and improving his weaknesses like ball handling, turnovers, defense and 3pt shooting really helps him a lot. Had Nash shot as much as Curry did, he might be remembered much better on the all time scale too..maybe too selfish in hindsight, despite the fact I generally like that kind of player.

Easily Book should go down #1 if not already though because he spent his entire career here.....well, assuming he does, but at least he will have spent 10+ years here unless he is traded which is highly doubtful.

The one hurdle he needs to clear is coming up big in a game when facing elimination, of course, unless, we can win titles without ever having to face elimination.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1307 » by Saberestar » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:37 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Can we all agree finally about Book being the third best player in the history of the franchise only after Nash and Barkley?

I don't know how I feel about including Barkley. There are so many ways to consider "best" for all time greats in general and for the Suns.

I'd put Booker ahead of Barkley for a few reasons. He has been a Sun for more years, his whole career, also made the finals, etc. Barkley was a vet we traded for to get us a ring but he hasn't. It's almost like to include Barkley (largely because he had a great entire career) you would have to put CP3 and KD in the mix.

Barkley helped us get to the finals, barely, considering we almost lost in the first round, and then never got past the 2nd round. In his 4th year we didn't even have a winning record I don't think...maybe we were 42-40 but I have 40-42 in my head. We went to two WCF before his arrival.

Nash didn't spend his entire career either. It's hard to compare him too. He made us so good but was he better than Book? I think individual accolades such as MVPs are hard to take into consideration given the competition varies so much. Nash wouldn't have won it in most years.

But I think there is an argument for all 3 of them depending on how you look at it. I'm a huge KJ fan obviously and his career was derailed but if I was looking at something like best first five years for players the Suns had when they were young, KJ was the best for his first 5. Alvan Adams may have had the best rookie year. I don't remember a guy like Walter Davis as much.

But with Book climbing up scoring charts, setting records, and improving his weaknesses like ball handling, turnovers, defense and 3pt shooting really helps him a lot. Had Nash shot as much as Curry did, he might be remembered much better on the all time scale too..maybe too selfish in hindsight, despite the fact I generally like that kind of player.

Easily Book should go down #1 if not already though because he spent his entire career here.....well, assuming he does, but at least he will have spent 10+ years here unless he is traded which is highly doubtful.

The one hurdle he needs to clear is coming up big in a game when facing elimination, of course, unless, we can win titles without ever having to face elimination.

Well, I think that it’s not a must to spend all his career on the same team to consider a player a Top player in the history of a franchise.

Obviously the more years on the same franchise the better to determine an order, but I think around four seasons on a team is enough if the impact was great in those years.

Nash was a Suns player for 10 years, so that's why I put him over Barkley (next to his lovely style of play).

Book has played already 9 seasons on the Suns but you never know when that can end so I enjoy every minute of his career on this team.

KD is a name to have in mind for this conversation.

If he continues to play at the highest level for some more years and we win a championship with him as a 1A option on offense I would consider him a Suns legend and why not the GOAT of the franchise...but that's just a dream for now lol.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#1308 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:32 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Well, I think that it’s not a must to spend all his career on the same team to consider a player a Top player in the history of a franchise.

Obviously the more years on the same franchise the better to determine an order, but I think around four seasons on a team is enough if the impact was great in those years.

Nash was a Suns player for 10 years, so that's why I put him over Barkley (next to his lovely style of play).

Book has played already 9 seasons on the Suns but you never know when that can end so I enjoy every minute of his career on this team.

If he continues to play at the highest level for some more years and we win a championship with him as a 1A option on offense I would consider him a Suns legend and why not the GOAT of the franchise...but that's just a dream for now lol.

I'd definitely put Book over Barkley. Book has the tenure, we drafted him, they've both been to the Finals and while Barkley's peak is an MVP, when we're talking about body of work with the Suns, it's hard for me to put Barkley over Book. With some luck, Book might get close to Majerle's 595 games played for the Suns putting him 9th (or 8th if he passes Dan) in Suns history. By the following season, Book will get close or surpass to Marion's 660 games for 6th. By the end of this season, there's also a good chance he'll be 3rd all time in franchise history for scoring and he will very likely finish at #1 in the next few seasons.

For me, it's not just being with the same franchise your whole career, but I do weigh tenure with a team heavily as well as personal and team achievements during their tenure.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,484

Post#1309 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:28 am

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

It just depends on criteria. I think a guy who spent his entire year with a franchise is more of a legend to fans than someone who didn't, if they were both great players. Think the Lakers for example. Guys like Magic and Kobe are considered much bigger Lakers legends than Kareem and Shaq, despite Kareem possibly being the GOAT in the NBA or at worst 3rd best ever. And Shaq is considered a higher on the pecking order than Kobe all time. But not for Lakers fans.

Barkley will never be near the top of my mind as best Sun ever. I think he gets some sort of extra credit for some fans because they became Suns fans when he joined the already really good team that had made 2 WCF...we got a step further but then never made the WCF again, having some serious choke jobs vs the Rockets, and then a bad season in his 4th year.

I consider a lot of guys ahead of Barkley on lists of top Suns players of all time.

Now if it's a list of best NBA player that ever played for the Suns, you could start with a list of like KD, Shaq, Barkley, Nash, Paul, etc.

Nash was drafted by us then and then re-signed with us, but also we traded him for a few no name players and a draft pick at one point who we selected Shawn Marion with.

I just consider guys like Dirk, Kobe, Duncan, etc, guys that are bigger stars in their town than a superstar who played for a few years. Putting Barkley ahead of Nash, Booker or even KJ would be like Heat fans putting LeBron ahead of Wade. I doubt many do.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#1310 » by spanishninja » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

It just depends on criteria. I think a guy who spent his entire year with a franchise is more of a legend to fans than someone who didn't, if they were both great players. Think the Lakers for example. Guys like Magic and Kobe are considered much bigger Lakers legends than Kareem and Shaq, despite Kareem possibly being the GOAT in the NBA or at worst 3rd best ever. And Shaq is considered a higher on the pecking order than Kobe all time. But not for Lakers fans.

Barkley will never be near the top of my mind as best Sun ever. I think he gets some sort of extra credit for some fans because they became Suns fans when he joined the already really good team that had made 2 WCF...we got a step further but then never made the WCF again, having some serious choke jobs vs the Rockets, and then a bad season in his 4th year.

I consider a lot of guys ahead of Barkley on lists of top Suns players of all time.

Now if it's a list of best NBA player that ever played for the Suns, you could start with a list of like KD, Shaq, Barkley, Nash, Paul, etc.

Nash was drafted by us then and then re-signed with us, but also we traded him for a few no name players and a draft pick at one point who we selected Shawn Marion with.

I just consider guys like Dirk, Kobe, Duncan, etc, guys that are bigger stars in their town than a superstar who played for a few years. Putting Barkley ahead of Nash, Booker or even KJ would be like Heat fans putting LeBron ahead of Wade. I doubt many do.

Barkley's reputation in Phoenix is not just due to his playing career or what he did while as a Sun. Even after retiring, he has stayed with the community and is still our biggest "tough love supporter". lot of the other guys, including Nash, have kind of stayed out of town.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#1311 » by Jdiddy701 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:24 am

Book should be competing with Steve Nash for greatest Sun ever. Charles Barkley played with the Suns for 4 years. That’s not enough imo.

Some of yall don’t wanna hear this but if we are considering Barkley, get ready to put Kevin Durant over Barkley if he helps bring a title to Phoenix during his short time with us.

I also want to add that no one comes close to Devin Booker. He’s already the greatest Sun ever and he will continue to add to it. One of a kind player and a better human being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,726

Post#1312 » by sunsbum » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:04 am

Book is like a human hair away from Nash. hes going to be here for another 3/4 years so really, whether you crown him (dennygreen Rip) this year or later, it's still coming.
Flex is now your father.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1313 » by Saberestar » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:59 am

“It’s a shot that I’ve imagined in my head multiple times, so it felt like I’ve been here before.”

Tied game...
1.7 on the clock...
Over two defenders...

@DevinBook called game at The Garden

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#1314 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:24 pm

Saberestar wrote:
“It’s a shot that I’ve imagined in my head multiple times, so it felt like I’ve been here before.”

Tied game...
1.7 on the clock...
Over two defenders...

@DevinBook called game at The Garden

Read on Twitter

It's hard to really put into context how big that shot is. If it was over the Wizards in Washington or over the Griz in Memphis ie in far less storied arenas and franchises, it would still be amazing but the context just takes the shot into a legendary tier
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#1315 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:46 pm

Booker's firmly in his prime this season, his advanced stats are just off the charts at the moment. He's been able to sustain his otherworldly play from the playoffs last season, the game just looks easy to him ATM.

It's been a small sample size so far but I don't think it'll be a fluke. Having KD divert defensive attention off him and to a lesser extent Nurk setting crunching screens has made life easier for Book, now just wait till Beal comes back.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#1316 » by Saberestar » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:57 pm

In an interview with Malika Andrew’s, Luka Doncic talked about his “Beef” with Devin Booker.

“It's competitive basketball, I really love his game. The way he plays, A lot of time I watch Phoenix because of him, but obviously we have this competition when we face each other”

“Actually I respect him a lot, I love his game and the pace of his game. He has a new role, he's been really good”

Read on Twitter
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#1317 » by darmani » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:45 pm

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160