KD to the Suns

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Re: KD to the Suns 

Post#81 » by Spin Move » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:27 pm

Having the night to think this over, I feel this was a big overpay given Durant's age and just how much we gave up. Bridges is probably worth 1-2 firsts, Jae Crowder got a ton fo secconds. Cam Johnson is worth a high 2nd or late first, along with some far out 1sts with no protection.

Who were we bidding against'? None of the teams with more assets would have wanted to pull the trigger, basketball wise for this year and next this is a great move, but in 5 years if we dont win a title this will be a huge regret. Seems like the owner was a little over eager to make a move and overpayed by too much. Love Durant, he gives us a chance to win a title but the depth is really not there so I would question just how good our odds are. Maybe we will get some buyout cannidates and then we will hae more dept.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,710

Post#82 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:45 pm

Spin Move wrote:Having the night to think this over, I feel this was a big overpay given Durant's age and just how much we gave up. Bridges is probably worth 1-2 firsts, Jae Crowder got a ton fo secconds. Cam Johnson is worth a high 2nd or late first, along with some far out 1sts with no protection.

Who were we bidding against'? None of the teams with more assets would have wanted to pull the trigger, basketball wise for this year and next this is a great move, but in 5 years if we dont win a title this will be a huge regret. Seems like the owner was a little over eager to make a move and overpayed by too much. Love Durant, he gives us a chance to win a title but the depth is really not there so I would question just how good our odds are. Maybe we will get some buyout cannidates and then we will hae more dept.

The overpay is in the extra picks imo. I would be more comfortable with the trade if we included picks up to 2025 and perhaps a 2027 pick swap but for odd picks from 23-29 to go without protection is an overpay especially when we included Mikal in that trade.

As I mentioned before, this is now championship or bust. The margin of error is tiny because this would only have been worth it if we win it all. If we don't, if we can't somehow reload sufficiently around Book/KD/DA after CP3 is done, then we'll be holding onto these massive contracts without a traditional way to add young talent as we would only be left with only 3 FRP's between now and 2029.

Clippers to me showed that having all the money in the world (Ballmer) doesn't necessarily make a team sustainable nor easy to reload.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,907

Post#83 » by Damkac » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:4 unprotected picks and a swap is a lot, but Suns have just paid the price for a legit 3 season championship window. Helps immeasurably that the Western conference is so wide open. If the Suns make 2 finals and win a title during the window nobodies going to be upset about losing a 2029 first rounder.

Success also breeds more success. The franchise under Ishbia will also gain a lot more prestige which will be a factor in future trades and free agency. Suns have just become a legit destination now for ring chasers and buyout guys.
This. We have to stop thinking like this is a middle market franchise because I don't think Ishbia is thinking like that.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

At some point the repeater tax will not be bearable I imagine. He is not insanely rich relatively speaking in comparison to other owners. Hundreds of millions in tax bills is a lot. Now if he is turning a massive profit it may not matter but not sure if he will.

I hope he is willing to spend now untill CP and KD have anything left. That trade don't have any sense if Suns won't be doing anything possible to win it all this year or the next one.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,682

Post#84 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:15 pm

Spin Move wrote:Having the night to think this over, I feel this was a big overpay given Durant's age and just how much we gave up. Bridges is probably worth 1-2 firsts, Jae Crowder got a ton fo secconds. Cam Johnson is worth a high 2nd or late first, along with some far out 1sts with no protection.

According to Vegas they moved from a 4% chance of a championship to 17% this season.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,897

Post#85 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:32 pm

Monty Williams can’t talk about the trade yet because it’s not official but he did reference the experience he’s had with KD both in OKC and with USA Basketball: “Kevin is the hardest worker I’ve been around.”

Read on Twitter
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#86 » by suns12345 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:39 pm

Question for everyone I genuinely can't decide the answer to:

Assuming health, how much value does durant lose over the next year... is this a lower risk move in that if we don't win this year, and next year is going not great, we can deal durant for a similar package in a years time?

I remember Zach Lowe saying all these huge draft packages for stars aren't as big of a deal as they seem because the team can just move them on again and recoup what they have lost... However, one of my main concerns with this trade is not knowing how much Durant's value limits our ability to do this... But people would trade what we just did for 38 year old Lebron I think, and so why not do that for 36 year old durant for example?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#87 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:43 pm

suns12345 wrote:Question for everyone I genuinely can't decide the answer to:

Assuming health, how much value does durant lose over the next year... is this a lower risk move in that if we don't win this year, and next year is going not great, we can deal durant for a similar package in a years time?

I remember Zach Lowe saying all these huge draft packages for stars aren't as big of a deal as they seem because the team can just move them on again and recoup what they have lost... However, one of my main concerns with this trade is not knowing how much Durant's value limits our ability to do this... But people would trade what we just did for 38 year old Lebron I think, and so why not do that for 36 year old durant for example?

KD should always be moveable but you never make a trade on the premise you'll get something similar back in return if it doesn't work out because rarely is that the case and even more rare for guys heading into their mid-30's. If CP3 didn't work out after a few seasons and we decided to move on from him, I highly doubt we would be able to get the equivalent of a Rubio/Oubre and pick back

No matter what, you're going to take a loss somewhere
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#88 » by suns12345 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:48 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:

KD should always be moveable but you never make a trade on the premise you'll get something similar back in return if it doesn't work out because rarely is that the case and even more rare for guys heading into their mid-30's. If CP3 didn't work out after a few seasons and we decided to move on from him, I highly doubt we would be able to get the equivalent of a Rubio/Oubre and pick back

But I suppose the logic is we get a legit shot at a title for two years and that's worth Mikal and the extra pick we never get back in the subsequent trade for example.

I take your point though
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#89 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:54 pm

It is real

WELCOME TO THE VALLEY, KD!

Read on Twitter

KEVIN DURANT IS A PHOENIX SUN.

Read on Twitter
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,804

Post#90 » by Qwigglez » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:56 pm

This has all just been a ploy from Kevin Durant to win this girl...

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#91 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:56 pm

suns12345 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

But I suppose the logic is we get a legit shot at a title for two years and that's worth Mikal and the extra pick we never get back in the subsequent trade for example.

I take your point though

yes I think the decision was basically

1. Elite contender for 2 years then who TF knows

or

2. Playoff contender for the 5-7 years with some potential to be an elite contender at some point.

I think most GM's would go with #1 if they had the opportunity because their job is to build a winning team (we already had that) but the ultimate goal is that Gold. I just think as a team that has never won and doesn't go all in like Lakers do every half decade or so, it just feels totally off and wrong.

But I suppose it's not too dissimilar to the Raptors trading away beloved home grown all-NBA player Derozan after almost a decade for a win now move in Kawhi. But they got the championship in the end so whatever happens after is a bit non-consequential because winning it all it everything.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#92 » by GTR11 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:11 am

Let me clear it up.

Fuc* y'all PHX fans.

I will cheer for KD to win another ring because he is a true pro. You guys just got great talent.

Also, CP3 deserves a rung as well. So I'll be cheering for PHX to win it all big time.

Smoke Saltics for me and rest of EC. Give them hell. Those clowns thought it would be easy this year with GSW being mediocre.
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,662

Post#93 » by Phystic » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:31 am

sashaturiaf wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:4 unprotected picks and a swap is a lot, but Suns have just paid the price for a legit 3 season championship window. Helps immeasurably that the Western conference is so wide open. If the Suns make 2 finals and win a title during the window nobodies going to be upset about losing a 2029 first rounder.

Success also breeds more success. The franchise under Ishbia will also gain a lot more prestige which will be a factor in future trades and free agency. Suns have just become a legit destination now for ring chasers and buyout guys.

Are you a Nets fan or Suns fan or KD fan? I see your Suns logo but also see you posting last night on Nets board as "we".

I'm a nets fan but KD is my favorite player. I still can't fully process that our incompetent FO traded someone like KD with 3+ years left on his contract, even after all the boneheaded moves they've made in the past 2 seasons so I'm rocking the Suns logo till KD gets a chip in Arizona.

So I'd say I'm a suns fan by default now. It's not like the Suns and Nets fandom will clash with each other anytime soon. BKN is in the East and playing for the play-ins for the immediate future

Glad to have your temporary fandom. You will also have a fair amount of Suns fans on your side while you have Bridges/Cam
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,662

Post#94 » by Phystic » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:35 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:This. We have to stop thinking like this is a middle market franchise because I don't think Ishbia is thinking like that.

At some point the repeater tax will not be bearable I imagine. He is not insanely rich relatively speaking in comparison to other owners. Hundreds of millions in tax bills is a lot. Now if he is turning a massive profit it may not matter but not sure if he will.
Money is only one aspect, it's also about finally acting like this is a destination. Which is absolutely is now that Sarvers idiot ass is gone.

Agreed 100%. Sucks losing our homegrown guys. But landing someone with the recognition of KD will open a lot of doors. And we somehow make every click and actually win.....maaaaaaan.

Imagine the media attention Suns winning first ring. CP3 finally wins. KD wind outside of GS. Ishbia wins immediately. Sarver being the driving cause of failure being proven. New culture.

The gamble is worth it for me. As I've said, nice seeing the Suns get back to how we were under JC/PreSarver
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#95 » by darmani » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:01 pm

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,598

Post#96 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:25 pm

darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

I take it he must not be still working for the Suns or it seems this might be another piece on the Suns website.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#97 » by Saberestar » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:49 pm

KD can play all 3 roles in a Spain pick and roll.

Read on Twitter
Maf
Starter
And1: 872

Post#98 » by Maf » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:39 pm

Wow you guys... I am totally shocked by your reactions to this trade. Like every fan of the teams that might be thinking "this could be our year, we could have a shot" are now thinking "how the hell we could beat THAT!"

Yet you are complaining about losing your favourite role players? Sorry, didn´t come here to start any fights but like noone ever thought "oh, we are playing the Suns, I am afraid what Bridges can do to us."

I tried to express my shock that rest of the league is scared **** by your team right now and yet you are unhappy.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,237

Post#99 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:16 pm

Maf wrote:Wow you guys... I am totally shocked by your reactions to this trade. Like every fan of the teams that might be thinking "this could be our year, we could have a shot" are now thinking "how the hell we could beat THAT!"

Yet you are complaining about losing your favourite role players? Sorry, didn´t come here to start any fights but like noone ever thought "oh, we are playing the Suns, I am afraid what Bridges can do to us."

I tried to express my shock that rest of the league is scared **** by your team right now and yet you are unhappy.

The best ability is availability, and Mikal is always available, and was in the middle of a leap offensively. If he could be a consistent scorer like a Khris Middleton-type, we'd be in a very good position, not to mention if we potentially added a piece like Collins or Anunoby or Bogdanovic without giving up a major rotation piece. Plus he's 27 and loved being here. There's no real reason that Booker, Mikal, Cam, and Ayton couldn't have been our foundation for the rest of the decade. If we don't win with minor upgrades, this deal was probably still there for us come Summer.

Now it's win this year, next year, or never, with potential for Booker to leave because he can't carry old and broken KD and CP3.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,237

Post#100 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:22 pm

Like imagine if in 2014, Golden State decided to trade Draymond and Klay for Dirk or Pau Gasol or DWade.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft

Return to Phoenix Suns