ImageImageImage

Bradley Beal thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 108

Re: Bradley Beal thread 

Post#261 » by Fifii » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:56 am

Maybe we should trade package of rolls instead Beal ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,484

Post#262 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:49 am

garrick wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Fifii wrote:Sti x I understand your jokes about Beal and I don’t really understand people who blame you about trolling. Sometime your jokes about Beal make me laugh so I’m with you.

Beal has 46 M in salary and more unplayed than played so he is the huge problem. He is 6th in players salary so this is a joke.

We have 193 M in team pay roll and if Beal will be not available in PO and we got 1rd exit that would be embarrassing

The problem is we had no options. Had we kept Paul and Shamet I think that is a worse situation, and it's not like Paul is healthy this season and is basically done anyway. He's missed 23 games and Shamet 16. We could have maybe had Jordan Poole but we'd be worse when he plays because he takes 16 shots a game and has under a 51% TS%, and shoots 30% from 3 with no defense.

Someone like Ben Simmons may have been a possibility, and would have been a better fit but he's missed 42 games and I'm sure would frustrate people more...and can't shoot.

My issue is with the last two years of his contract where he will be making 53 and 57 mil per year which is a massive hit on our salary cap and if he's going to be injury riddled that would just be terrible value.

On the last year of his contract as an expiring it would be tough to deal him on a 57 mil contract and he has the no trade clause as well making it even harder to potentially ship him out. The only out I can see is the stretch and waive provision if Beal is just an absolute shell of his former self.

Of course. No one likes that. But they were going all in to win now in the next couple of years.

The 25-26 year is not a big deal because even without him, with Book and KD also making $53 million, we would likely be near or over the cap if we retain the salary slots for guys like Nurkic and Allen. We will also need to retain the Little contract space to have options, whether it be trade or re-sign.

But, the final Beal year where he makes $57 million on a player option will be tough, but KD will have expired. If we re-up KD with an extension early, it won't much matter anyway, but if we were to move on from KD, it would be nice to have the option of moving on from Beal as well. But, it will be an expiring deal, and perhaps there is a chance if he is playing well, that we could get him to decline the player option and give him a smaller multi year contract. That is probably doubtful though.

I would not stretch that big of a contract though. That's a $19 million hit for 3 years. Just get it done with.

But Ish and crew made their bed so they have to lie in it, good or bad.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#263 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:34 am

garrick wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Fifii wrote:Sti x I understand your jokes about Beal and I don’t really understand people who blame you about trolling. Sometime your jokes about Beal make me laugh so I’m with you.

Beal has 46 M in salary and more unplayed than played so he is the huge problem. He is 6th in players salary so this is a joke.

We have 193 M in team pay roll and if Beal will be not available in PO and we got 1rd exit that would be embarrassing

The problem is we had no options. Had we kept Paul and Shamet I think that is a worse situation, and it's not like Paul is healthy this season and is basically done anyway. He's missed 23 games and Shamet 16. We could have maybe had Jordan Poole but we'd be worse when he plays because he takes 16 shots a game and has under a 51% TS%, and shoots 30% from 3 with no defense.

Someone like Ben Simmons may have been a possibility, and would have been a better fit but he's missed 42 games and I'm sure would frustrate people more...and can't shoot.

My issue is with the last two years of his contract where he will be making 53 and 57 mil per year which is a massive hit on our salary cap and if he's going to be injury riddled that would just be terrible value.

On the last year of his contract as an expiring it would be tough to deal him on a 57 mil contract and he has the no trade clause as well making it even harder to potentially ship him out. The only out I can see is the stretch and waive provision if Beal is just an absolute shell of his former self.

We're not even in the conversation if we didn't make the trade imo

When you're all in, you're bound to have at least one bad deal. Look at Clippers for example, PG is up for a new deal (which I think he'll get), I'd imagine they'd want to extend Harden to at least a 2yr deal, Kawhi got his extension and even though he's been unusually healthy this year, who knows what his health looks like as he heads into his mid-30's. At least one of them will turn into a bad deal. After the Cavs won in 2016, they max extended Love then Lebron and their title hopes went away a season after. Even without a NTC, Love's tenure with the Cavs didn't end until he was waived like a year ago. It's pretty rare at the end of a contending window that there are no residual bad contracts left on the books.

We knew what we were getting into and accepted the risks of going all in. If Beal isn't effective next season, the season after or the season after that, then we'll cross that bridge if we get there. For now, we're focused on this season.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,830

Post#264 » by Saberestar » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:24 pm

Bradley Beal has 62 drives in his last 3 games.

For context - the 20.7 drives per game avg would place Beal only 2nd to SGA (24.0) in the NBA if it were over the whole season.

A welcome addition to this PHX team & one they can exploit further off pet plays & isolation.

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#265 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 7:12 pm

Saberestar wrote:

For context - the 20.7 drives per game avg would place Beal only 2nd to SGA (24.0) in the NBA if it were over the whole season.

A welcome addition to this PHX team & one they can exploit further off pet plays & isolation.

Read on Twitter

It's really nice to see a player drive and get the hoop or dish....we've missed that, with all the dribbling and mid range shots. Some of those clips there remind me of KJ. He would drive fast and put it in or dish...and we had a great pace.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,916

Post#266 » by Fo-Real » Sat Mar 9, 2024 5:40 pm

Its like we kinda have a Pg again.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#267 » by Saberestar » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:38 pm

His averages over the five games since:

23.2 PPG
3.6 RPG
5.6 APG
1.8 SPG
2.6 TPG
50.6 FG%
42.3 3FG%
85.0 FT%

He can give us this production easily, he just needs to be healthy.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#268 » by bigfoot » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:30 pm

We have good window if the Suns can sign Grayson and Royce this summer. Our 4th quarter woes mostly lay at the feet of the bench players and injuries. Book, Durant, Beal, Nurk, Grayson, and O'Neal are a very good core the next two seasons. Bol Bol could be in the mix too. Just need to be able to get a few decent bench players this offseason.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#269 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:18 pm

Saberestar wrote:

23.2 PPG
3.6 RPG
5.6 APG
1.8 SPG
2.6 TPG
50.6 FG%
42.3 3FG%
85.0 FT%

2.6 turnovers per game but that's largely skewed by that 7 turnover blunder in the OKC game. If it had been 2TO's instead, his averaged over these 5 would be 1.6 TO's to 5.6 assists.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#270 » by Saberestar » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:04 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

23.2 PPG
3.6 RPG
5.6 APG
1.8 SPG
2.6 TPG
50.6 FG%
42.3 3FG%
85.0 FT%

2.6 turnovers per game but that's largely skewed by that 7 turnover blunder in the OKC game. If it had been 2TO's instead, his averaged over these 5 would be 1.6 TO's to 5.6 assists.

Yeah, I think him and Book are good enough to handle "PG duties" but (like every other team) we struggle at that when we are missing one or both of them.

Too many teams don't have a clear cut PG. Is SGA a PG? Him and Giddy share those responsibilities and they are having a nice year.

Is CJ McCollum a PG? And the Pelicans are playing really well too.

Beal is more than capable of playing as a initiator and primary ball handler for us. We are set at the starting PG position.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#271 » by Saberestar » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:28 am

bigfoot wrote:We have good window if the Suns can sign Grayson and Royce this summer. Our 4th quarter woes mostly lay at the feet of the bench players and injuries. Book, Durant, Beal, Nurk, Grayson, and O'Neal are a very good core the next two seasons. Bol Bol could be in the mix too. Just need to be able to get a few decent bench players this offseason.

I would add Eric Gordon to that core because he can exercise a player option ($3.4M) for next year.

I think his offense is needed and he fits nicely next to the other six names. 12 ppg shooting 38% from three on huge volume.

Regarding Bol Bol I hope we can sign him in the summer and that would give us a well rounded 8-core players for 2024/25.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#272 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:51 pm

Saberestar wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:He can give us this production easily, he just needs to be healthy.

Yeah, I think him and Book are good enough to handle "PG duties" but (like every other team) we struggle at that when we are missing one or both of them.

Too many teams don't have a clear cut PG. Is SGA a PG? Him and Giddy share those responsibilities and they are having a nice year.

Beal is more than capable of playing as a initiator and primary ball handler for us. We are set at the starting PG position.

The main difference I've been seeing with Beal, and it's continuing to improve month on month, is that early tentativeness around his role is leaving him and having the confidence to initiate even while Book/KD are on the court with him is great to see. Earlier on it was kind of a Big 2.5 or Big 2 +1 kind of situation where it seemed like Beal was treating himself as a star role player rather than a star himself so he was letting Book/KD take the lead, which isn't surprising since he's coming in as the new guy and the other two were already established here.

It's starting to feel like a true Big 3 and a Big 3 where their roles are solidifying with Book/Beal being the primary play makers while KD is more of a shot creator. Building more chemistry and synergy between the 3 and the role players
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#273 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:59 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bigfoot wrote:We have good window if the Suns can sign Grayson and Royce this summer. Our 4th quarter woes mostly lay at the feet of the bench players and injuries. Book, Durant, Beal, Nurk, Grayson, and O'Neal are a very good core the next two seasons. Bol Bol could be in the mix too. Just need to be able to get a few decent bench players this offseason.

I would add Eric Gordon to that core because he can exercise a player option ($3.4M) for next year.

I think his offense is needed and he fits nicely next to the other six names. 12 ppg shooting 38% from three on huge volume.

Regarding Bol Bol I hope we can sign him in the summer and that would give us a well rounded 8-core players for 2024/25.

I reckon Bol is as good as gone. It only takes one team to take a punt on paying him a smallish multi-year contract to outbid us quite easily.

As for Grayson and O'Neal, I absolutely think Grayson needs to be the priority with RON being second. At least in terms of money, if there's a certain budget we have, it should be like 70/30 to Grayson given his age, fit and skill set. I don't really know what they are worth but Grayson is going to get paid handsomely while RON is probably in the MLE range imo.

I'm on the fence with EG. I think that he's really good when he's good but also really bad when he's bad and the reason why he may only be getting a vet min or more next season and going forward is whether he can still be consistent because he hasn't been so far. Having RON on the roster has made EG's inconsistent less problematic as they do similar things offensively while RON brings a lot more to table defensively, on the boards and playmaking. But I still wouldn't mind having EG on the roster going into the playoffs and even playing minutes because you never know when he'll have one of his random hot shooting nights and if he doesn't have it, you can always just limit his PT.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#274 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:07 am

Saberestar wrote:

Read on Twitter

Beals been great since coming back from the hamstring injury. He puts pressure on the rim and IMO is a more reliable playmaker than Book and KD. Beal led bench units with Bol have provided us with some of the best bench play we've had all season, admittedly there isn't much competition in that regard.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#275 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:09 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:2.6 turnovers per game but that's largely skewed by that 7 turnover blunder in the OKC game. If it had been 2TO's instead, his averaged over these 5 would be 1.6 TO's to 5.6 assists.

The main difference I've been seeing with Beal, and it's continuing to improve month on month, is that early tentativeness around his role is leaving him and having the confidence to initiate even while Book/KD are on the court with him is great to see. Earlier on it was kind of a Big 2.5 or Big 2 +1 kind of situation where it seemed like Beal was treating himself as a star role player rather than a star himself so he was letting Book/KD take the lead, which isn't surprising since he's coming in as the new guy and the other two were already established here.

It's starting to feel like a true Big 3 and a Big 3 where their roles are solidifying with Book/Beal being the primary play makers while KD is more of a shot creator. Building more chemistry and synergy between the 3 and the role players

Agree, the entire first half of the season it feels like Beal was playing like he didn't want to step on KD and Book's toes. However we absolutely need him to be the all-NBA level player that he is, he's too good and also paid too much to be relegating himself to be a glorified Austin Reaves
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#276 » by Saberestar » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,501

Post#277 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:41 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is really great for him as well as the team, and is the role that I originally wanted for him to play out of given his much better ballhandling and downhill iso penetration ability and playmaking upside. It also frees Booker up to go back to focusing predominantly on scoring in his natural role as an ultra elite SG. And having both these dynamics covered will also allow KD to roam more as an elite two way threat playing of both Beals' penetration/ scoring, and Books' elite focused scoring/shooting. And in being able to do so, he can better conserve his energy and pick his spots as well as roam defensively with benefit to his overall durability long term.

Figuring these more specified roles out will yield big benefits going forward and ultimately better chemistry towards offensive and defensive schemes and chemistry throughout the roster. this is a big positive in our teams' progression towards elevating ourselves to the next tier of contention. :D
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#278 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:09 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Exactly what I've been hoping to see. I said before that while Booker is technically the better PG of the two, he's also a far better SG than Beal and when Book has to play PG, he has to sacrifice as a SG. With Beal playing more PG, Book doesn't have to sacrifice nearly as much and we get the Book that's developed into the best SG in the league over the last few years next to CP3
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#279 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:14 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Exactly what I've been hoping to see. I said before that while Booker is technically the better PG of the two, he's also a far better SG than Beal and when Book has to play PG, he has to sacrifice as a SG. With Beal playing more PG, Book doesn't have to sacrifice nearly as much and we get the Book that's developed into the best SG in the league over the last few years next to CP3

Beal's actually a better PG with his ability to penetrate and get to the rim with his great first step. Booker's passing and ballhandling has gotten a lot better over the years though.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#280 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:00 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beal's actually a better PG with his ability to penetrate and get to the rim with his great first step. Booker's passing and ballhandling has gotten a lot better over the years though.

That aspect of Beal's game, I agree is better than Books but I think Book's passing and court vision is a fair bit ahead, as well as his ability to keep his dribble in the lane to become a triple threat in the midrange. Book has learned a lot from CP3 in their time together.

If I could make a parallel, I think Beal's playmaking is more akin to his former team mate's like Westbrook and Wall which is more predicated on creating opportunities by creating pressure at the rim via their athleticism/drives. Book's, unsurprisingly, is more like CP3's where he's more analytical, isn't using all out athleticism and isn't as reliant on getting to the rim.

Return to Phoenix Suns