ImageImageImage

Bol Bol

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#121 » by sashaturiaf » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:18 pm

The big 3 are very good, but I think we go as far as Bol Bol can take us this season. I'm only half joking.

All season we've suffered as teams will send hard doubles at KD/Book and we couldn't make them pay because it always ended up with a Okogie/KBD wide open brick, whereas letting Bol Bol attack a 4v3 is like letting a lion loose in a petting zoo. Also love how much his size helps us on defense and the boards, never knew what a great rebounder he was when his rep was that he's a 7'3 guard, great player.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,656

Post#122 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 pm

He's certainly done a lot to repair his reputation which was that he was an unserious player who's way more flash than substance.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#123 » by sashaturiaf » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:51 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:He's certainly done a lot to repair his reputation which was that he was an unserious player who's way more flash than substance.

Maybe Orlando Magic is the unserious team 8-)

Bol has been excellent so far for us.
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 654

Post#124 » by Hitachi77 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:53 am

When Bol Bol doesn’t play well, he’s still 7’3 and can make an impact due to size alone.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,826

Post#125 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:55 am

For some reason I think every team Bol's been on has been through this phase of optimism and hope...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,502

Post#126 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:40 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:For some reason I think every team Bol's been on has been through this phase of optimism and hope...

Yeah....hopefully he is breaking out for our hopeful run to the playoffs, but at the same time, it would be nice to win in the playoffs and have him not look good enough the rest of the season for a team to give him more than the minimum.

i remember around this time last year Okogie had a GREAT stretch and we were all talking about how there is no way we could keep him.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#127 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:08 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:For some reason I think every team Bol's been on has been through this phase of optimism and hope...

Yeah....hopefully he is breaking out for our hopeful run to the playoffs, but at the same time, it would be nice to win in the playoffs and have him not look good enough the rest of the season for a team to give him more than the minimum.

i remember around this time last year Okogie had a GREAT stretch and we were all talking about how there is no way we could keep him.

Yeah rather he breaks out in the playoffs and we go deep/win it all and part ways with Bol Bol than having an Okogie type of situation
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#128 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:13 pm

He is only 24. Most kids do not enter the NBA mature enough to be a star. That happens over time. Look how many of today's young stars too 3-4 years to gradually develop into the players they are now. He is what Durant says he is. I will stick with that for now. You just do not see 7-3 guys with that kind of speed and agility as well as skills. We will never be able to draft this type of potential in the next few years. we need to keep him here.

It is entirely possible for us to run a frontline of Bol, Durant, and Nurk for at least some situations. That kind of triple 7 foot presence could be greatly intimidating. All three can shoot the 3. All three can play D.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#129 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:59 pm

The main difference I've seen is that he's far less (I don't want to say no longer yet) of a defensive liability he was at the start of the season. From making much faster reads, to quicker rotations to not putting himself in positions where he just becomes a foul magnet has gone a long way towards allowing him to stay on the floor to become an asset. It was mostly on the defensive end where he just looked lost and became a liability which limited him from showing off his offensive skill set which is quite good for someone of his size.

I still don't want to lock him into our playoff rotating just yet because we've had a very similar discussion this time last season with Okogie. If you recall, Okogie had like a 15 game stretch where he not only looked like he belonged in a starting line up but became almost invaluable because of all the intangibles he brought. From the cutting to the decent 3PT shooting to even bringing the ball up in place of Book/CP3. But that all started to wash away over the last 10-15 games of the season when he stopped shooting the 3ball well, he started to lose confidence in shooting the shot and by the time the playoffs came around, he became harder and harder to play and eventually fell off the rotation completely.

Right now, things with Bol has been encouraging, he's making defenses play with his 3's and attacking close outs, he's making smart decisions out there on both ends of the court and he's become a real presence out there impacting the game positively. But no one cam say his defense for example couldn't be taken away with better scheming from the opposing team, or that his solid 3PT shooting doesn't just fall off all of a sudden or that Thad just becomes a more reliable and trustworthy 4 out there. Opposing teams don't have much scouting on him given he's only been productive over the last 12 games so let's just see how it responds when teams does start putting him on a scouting report seriously and do throw some more plays at him. I believe that's what happened with Okogie last season and that completely threw him off.

I just think we need to temper our expectations with regards to him being some sort of playoff rotation lock or that he's definitely turned the corner on his career/impact on the floor after a dozen pretty good games.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,838

Post#130 » by Saberestar » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:49 pm

Boujack
Freshman
And1: 31

Post#131 » by Boujack » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:19 pm

Bol Bol > Victor 'The loser' Wembanyama
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,065

Post#132 » by sunsbg » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:52 pm

Now that Bol Bol gets minutes we can finally see him matched against Wemby in those two meetings this month. Also two meetings against Nuggets before season end. I want to see Nurk/KD/Bol vs Jokic/Gordon/MPJ big lineups.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,537

Post#133 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:02 pm

Boujack wrote:Bol Bol > Victor 'The loser' Wembanyama

Bol Bol should destroy Wembanyama next time they meet.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Post#134 » by AtheJ415 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:55 am

sashaturiaf wrote:The big 3 are very good, but I think we go as far as Bol Bol can take us this season. I'm only half joking.

All season we've suffered as teams will send hard doubles at KD/Book and we couldn't make them pay because it always ended up with a Okogie/KBD wide open brick, whereas letting Bol Bol attack a 4v3 is like letting a lion loose in a petting zoo. Also love how much his size helps us on defense and the boards, never knew what a great rebounder he was when his rep was that he's a 7'3 guard, great player.

Bol should be getting 25 minutes a game. He is impactful even when missing shots.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#135 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:29 pm

I'd like to see what guys shoot when Bol Bol is the closest defender.

Eye test tells me it's very difficult to make a jumpshot when Bol Bol is flying at you and contesting with his elastic arms. Guys almost always miss

Bol Bols continues to be very solid, offensively he's not settling for 3s nor is he trying to dribble the air out of the ball, just attacking closeouts and using his length to finish. Very good
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,838

Post#136 » by Saberestar » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:25 am

2 steals and 2 blocks too. NOICE.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#137 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:44 pm

Saberestar wrote:

2 steals and 2 blocks too. NOICE.

The steal at 6:50 in the 4th.....there's probably only 5 dudes in the NBA with the length to get that (short of diving for it)
Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#138 » by Fifii » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:55 am

I think that Vogel should have cut minutes Gordon and give these Bol Bol. Maybe Bol isn’t shooter like Gordon , but he can made shoots if he has opportunities and he is better in D and has size.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#139 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:01 am

Fifii wrote:I think that Vogel should have cut minutes Gordon and give these Bol Bol. Maybe Bol isn’t shooter like Gordon , but he can made shoots if he has opportunities and he is better in D and has size.

They don't share positional minutes so even if Gordon didn't play, it would just mean 1-2 of the other guards/wings play more and doesn't impact Bol Bol's minutes

Return to Phoenix Suns