ImageImageImage

Bol Bol

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,857

Bol Bol 

Post#1 » by Saberestar » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:41 pm

ESPN Sources: Free agent F/C Bol Bol has agreed on a one-year deal with the Phoenix Suns. At 23, Bol had his best NBA season with Orlando: 9.1 points, 5.8 rebounds, 1.1 blocks in 21.5 minutes. Another developing talent to join a deepened bench rotation.

Guaranteed deal, per sources.

Defensively he plays better as a C.

Read on Twitter
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,920

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#2 » by Fo-Real » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:09 pm

Don't know why I thought he was older than 23. Still technically a young project. I know it cant happen for multiple reasons but It would be crazy to have a starting front court lineup with the length of Ayton/ Bol/ kd.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,088

Post#3 » by oddity » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:33 pm

I hope we experiment with Bol Bol as a backup 5 or even a backup 4 against big teams like Milwaukee where KBD might be starting
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#4 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:46 am

Love the C depth with Ayton, Eubanks, Bol, Metu and Durant can play C.

But how many times have we needed an extra PG, we always try to avoid makeshift situations that cost us.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,671

Post#5 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:58 am

The Bol Bol Suns era has begun
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 968

Post#6 » by tleikheen » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:01 am

Bol Bol will shine this yr like he did when he started 32 games in a row with Orlando despite playing on a team that didnt pass the ball much.Playing with KD ,Beal and Booker he'll be playing on a team that passes the ball and wants to win a championship.Orlando plays for individual achiements being a young team and Phoenix plays for deep playoff runs and shares the ball.
best of luck
Sophomore
And1: 158

Post#7 » by best of luck » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:25 am

As a Magic fan, wish him luck and hope he finds a home.

He needs his game to settle down as he still believes he’s a guard despite the growth spurt.

Certainly don’t think you will get much of him playing center and at best a 4.

When Orlando has injuries and no guards he cracked the rotation and was fun for a period.

Later this just became a few highlights followed by more turnovers and then bench.

Will certainly follow how he does for you and hope he stays in the rotation all year for you.
Please visit @Domsamui on YouTube my 11 year old son needs all the love he can get from the basketball community in his fight to walk again.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,241

Post#8 » by Mr Puddles » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:30 am

Bol reminds me a bit of Javale in the sense that McGee started his career as an athletic but clumsy 7 footer who made it onto many a blooper real.

If Bol can model his game after veteran Mcgee, a player who plays within himself and doesnt try to be a 7 foot point guard, he can carve out a nice niche for himself in the league - similar to the way Mcgee did.
Spoiler:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,965

Post#9 » by drsd » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:12 pm

Magic fan here. Bol played mostly at the 3 for Orlando last year, and was slotted at the 2 as much as the 4.

During the 5-20 run Orlando had to start the season, i.e. when the team did not have a healthy PG, Bol-sanity was all we had. Watching him shoot jumpers like the below, or his 3 dribble lone fast-breaks, it was fun for us.

But after the Magic got healthy, Bol's shooting went in the toilet. He went from a 40% three-ball to below 10%. Is was stark.

In conclusion, have fun developing him, but don't expect him to contribute more than spot minutes as a third stringer.

Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,856

Post#10 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:18 pm

drsd wrote:Magic fan here. Bol played mostly at the 3 for Orlando last year, and was slotted at the 2 as much as the 4.

During the 5-20 run Orlando had to start the season, i.e. when the team did not have a healthy PG, Bol-sanity was all we had. Watching him shoot jumpers like the below, or his 3 dribble lone fast-breaks, it was fun for us.

But after the Magic got healthy, Bol's shooting went in the toilet. He went from a 40% three-ball to below 10%. Is was stark.

In conclusion, have fun developing him, but don't expect him to contribute more than spot minutes as a third stringer.

I was killing it in fantasy with bol bol. Then it was all downhill :lol:
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#11 » by Fo-Real » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:12 pm

best of luck wrote:As a Magic fan, wish him luck and hope he finds a home.

He needs his game to settle down as he still believes he’s a guard despite the growth spurt.

Certainly don’t think you will get much of him playing center and at best a 4.

When Orlando has injuries and no guards he cracked the rotation and was fun for a period.

Later this just became a few highlights followed by more turnovers and then bench.

Will certainly follow how he does for you and hope he stays in the rotation all year for you.

Suns definitely need to compartmentalize his game, no need for him to do guard stuff. We should run him at hybrid pf, only handling the ball when he has an opening to dive to the hoop instead of settling for a long shot. He does possess a good enough first step and ball handling to get around defenders and get to the rim it seems.
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#12 » by Fo-Real » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:18 pm

drsd wrote:Magic fan here. Bol played mostly at the 3 for Orlando last year, and was slotted at the 2 as much as the 4.

His mechanics are good on his shot and here he will be told to do less out of the box stuff. He has a huge chance to develop within a role with the stars we have already. I really hope we don't convolute his role by asking him to play too many positions. Should be a hybrid Pf, only front court stuff, only dribble up and create in up-tempo moments. He needs stability and to graduate from being a sideshow.
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#13 » by tleikheen » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:54 pm

I watched all the Magic games too and some of these same Magic fans KNOW that the Magic finished bottom 3 in team assists in their my turn your turn offense of Banchero and Wagner.
Still when it's about 2 versions of Bol ....the 32 games started vs the Bol coming off the bench. Night and day . Every NBA player wants to get a chance to start and perform at a high level .Bol got a chance and did perform at a high level .Only Bol haters pretend he NEVER played good when he had his opportunity.
Bol and everyone knows he was never going to be a starter long term as the Magic are locked in on Carter,Banchero & Wagner as their front court.
They'll be a big difference playing with players trying to forge a reputation like the whole Magic team vs a team with mega stars who only play to win a Championship.It won't take long before the Phoenix players have a 7'2" player with a unique talent and blend him in.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,676

Post#14 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:10 pm

I'm not really a believer in Bol being much more than a novelty but he's definitely worth a look.

If he gives up on being a star and just focused on being a role player maybe they will have something.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#15 » by tleikheen » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:18 pm

If he gives up on being a star and just focused on being a role player maybe they will have something.

That's ridiculous ,he's 23 yrs old already doing things other players can't and playing with stars should help him better than the Magic players who are trying to earn reputations in the NBA.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,676

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:15 pm

tleikheen wrote:

That's ridiculous ,he's 23 yrs old already doing things other players can't and playing with stars should help him better than the Magic players who are trying to earn reputations in the NBA.
I stand by my comment. I don't think Bol finds success until he stops thinking it's the Bol Bol show and focuses on the team.

This will be a good test of that, I'd love to see him succeed because he's a fun player.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#17 » by bigfoot » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:38 pm

I would argue the Suns have one starter spot and five bench spots open for any player to step into including Bol. A lot us expect it to be Okogie, KBD, Gordon, or Goodwin as the fifth starter. There should be a huge competition at camp and honestly, right now it could be any of the eleven players that best complement Beal, Booker, Durant, and Ayton. If the Wolves can trot out Gobert and Towns, I would not be surprised to see Ayton and another big. It will be interesting to see what Vogel does.
Dr Manute
Pro Prospect
And1: 723

Post#18 » by Dr Manute » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:38 pm

Suns roster looking good!

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,857

Post#19 » by Saberestar » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:09 pm

Dr Manute wrote:Suns roster looking good!

You have to be super happy, I love the signing too.

BTW I was reading about Manute Bol the other night and his story is amazing.
Dr Manute
Pro Prospect
And1: 723

Post#20 » by Dr Manute » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:25 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Dr Manute wrote:Suns roster looking good!

You have to be super happy, I love the signing too.

BTW I was reading about Manute Bol the other night and his story is amazing.

Yes, I'm excited to see him play with the Suns.

good video on Manute and Bol Bol:

Return to Phoenix Suns