ImageImageImage

Bol Bol

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,088

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#81 » by oddity » Thu Oct 5, 2023 10:57 pm

Best case scnario Bol Bol can be like a Bobby Portis for us. Not saying that's a one to one comparison, obviously not, but more the broader concept of having a tweener off the bench that, in certain matchups, can put stress on the other team just by being out there. The biggest obstacle in the way of that seems to be his mentality. He's super ball dominant and wants more than anything to be a star (while dribbling a LOT). I think the best way we utilize that is with bench lineups with either 1 or no star on the floor, where he can just go wild without loads of ball-dominant players around him. The other thing is, I'm calling it right now, his turnaround jumpshot and just general lack of a singular strong post move will really limit him. If he had just one move he could go to in the post consistently, he will break smaller lineups at the 4. Outside of those things happening I can't say I'm too optimistic about Bol's potential in the Valley, but it's super nice to have a young guy like this we can place our absurd hopes in as fans. Love the kid and wish him the best not just for us, but in general. The league would be a lot more fun with All-NBA Bol Bol running around lol
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,660

Post#82 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 11:31 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:I don't think he's a strong enough perimeter defender, but I'd be interest in seeing him play some 4 with Nurkic or Eubanks. KD/Bol/Eubanks seems like it would be annoying to get a successful drive against.

He's probably best as a floor roamer but I'm not totally across his defensive awareness in playing that role. Guys like Giannis and KD are some of the best roaming defenders in the league because of their length but also because of their defensive awareness and knowing when to be where.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,916

Post#83 » by Fo-Real » Mon Oct 9, 2023 3:27 pm

Was only a few minutes in a preseason game but he didnt fit.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#84 » by Bogyo » Mon Oct 9, 2023 4:21 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Was only a few minutes in a preseason game but he didnt fit.

Has the natural talent for sure - but the above the neck problems might be too much to overcome for him. Its his 5th season, and everything seems to be the same as when he entered the league. A couple of highlight plays with more than a couple of Shaqtinafool moments.
Waylay13
Rookie
And1: 904

Post#85 » by Waylay13 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 4:23 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Was only a few minutes in a preseason game but he didnt fit.

for a player that is said to have so many impressive skills he doesnt seem like he can put it together. I think there is a very good chance that he is going to be end of bench player.

Just say no to idiots!!
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#86 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 10:41 pm

Super raw still and yes, very talented, very skilled and very very tall but his on court awareness just isn't there. Certainly isn't uncommon to see super talented and skilled players come and go in the league because they just couldn't put together other critical areas of the game. IMO if he's to stay in the league, he needs to be consistent on defense because that's where he's going to earn consistent playing time and with consistent playing time comes opportunity to do more offensively.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#87 » by Bogyo » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:53 am

Seeing the highlights from SA/OKC I have the idea that we kinda punted on him to see if Vogel can tap into the defensive potential to counter Wemby and Chet a bit - not a terrible bet considering the odds, but a longshot nevertheless. At this point I might be happier with an actual bench PG (if Goodwin doesnt pan out), or a proven vet C who can fill in for Nurk when he is out or not playable due to his lack of mobility...
I hope Vogel can work some magic on his defense and the rest of the staff on his mind - if they could turn him into a poor mans Brook Lopez I'd be happy as a pig in sht. Protect the rim, challange shots, rebound, shoot 3s from the corner, drive from the corner once a game to keep them guessing - thats it, we are good to go, and you can have a nice long nba career. Doesn't seem that hard IF he can grasp the concept - big if in his case, by all reports.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,984

Post#88 » by kennydorglas » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:28 am

yeah he didnt look fluid at all in this game.
seems like hes never in control of anything.

i guess thats why he was a free agent after all lol
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,843

Post#89 » by Saberestar » Mon Dec 4, 2023 10:58 am

A few days ago Vogel was asked about Bol:

"Bol is going to get his chance for us. There are guys ahead of him in the rotation right now, and depth chart. I thought Chimezie (Metu) and Keita (Bates-Diop) came in and gave us really good minutes. Those guys are playing well, but we're not forgetting about Bol Bol. He'll get his opportunity."
Boujack
Freshman
And1: 31

Post#90 » by Boujack » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:16 pm

Our Kareem Abdul-Jabbar still waiting for his moment to astonish us.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,543

Post#91 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:15 pm

Boujack wrote:Our Kareem Abdul-Jabbar still waiting for his moment to astonish us.

He’s definitely our secret weapon like Darko Milicic was for the Detroit Pistons. Right now coach Vogel is playing the numbers game and keeping Bol Bol out until playoffs begin. Once playoffs start Bol will be unleashed blocking shots left and right, but for now he isn’t needed on the court.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,025

Post#92 » by garrick » Tue Dec 5, 2023 8:39 am

We should just cut him and find a 2 way player because no way is Bol Bol contributing this season or even next season.

Our next priority should be a 3rd string center for the times when Nurkic is in foul trouble which is quite frequent and we don't have anyone behind Eubanks. Should have resigned Bismack but for unknown reasons we seem to shun our own free agents in the offseason.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#93 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 5, 2023 9:39 am

garrick wrote:We should just cut him and find a 2 way player because no way is Bol Bol contributing this season or even next season.

Our next priority should be a 3rd string center for the times when Nurkic is in foul trouble which is quite frequent and we don't have anyone behind Eubanks. Should have resigned Bismack but for unknown reasons we seem to shun our own free agents in the offseason.

Metu is our third string C who could play some PF minutes too. Do you prefer Biyombo over Metu?

Bol Bol is here because he has some upside and is versatile enough to play on different lineups.

Some people wanted our other young player (Little) being waived or traded at the start of the season and now he looks a perennial rotation player for us.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,025

Post#94 » by garrick » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:31 pm

Saberestar wrote:
garrick wrote:We should just cut him and find a 2 way player because no way is Bol Bol contributing this season or even next season.

Metu is our third string C who could play some PF minutes too. Do you prefer Biyombo over Metu?

Bol Bol is here because he has some upside and is versatile enough to play on different lineups.

Some people wanted our other young player (Little) being waived or traded at the start of the season and now he looks a perennial rotation player for us.

Why couldn't we have both Metu and Biyombo to begin the season?

Metu is too undersized to play the center position so I don't consider him a center. What position can Bol Bol play though? He's too lanky to play either center or pf and his handles and shooting are too shaky for him to be a real SF.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#95 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:08 pm

garrick wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Why couldn't we have both Metu and Biyombo to begin the season?

Metu is too undersized to play the center position so I don't consider him a center. What position can Bol Bol play though? He's too lanky to play either center or pf and his handles and shooting are too shaky for him to be a real SF.

Metu is an upgrade over Biyombo IMO.

Biyombo is a 0 in so many aspects of the game. He can't shoot AT ALL, no touch, he can't dribble...teams at least has to respect Metu on offense. That's a big plus.

Both are about the same size, Biyombo a bit stronger but that's not a big factor.

Bol Bol is a wild card for a minimum deal. His primary position is PF.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#96 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 11:29 pm

We likely would've tried to keep Biz because I think he's a great locker room guy and team mate who's all about doing all the dirty work. But he deserved to cash in and he's on $5m this season. I also think there's considerable overlap between him and Eubanks with Eubanks having more upside and of course, came on the cheap.

Bol Bol.....I always read comments from casuals (not on realGM but on FB etc) saying we're holding back his development because we're not playing him and it just makes me laugh. Bol is 24 and has been in the league for 6 years now, he doesn't play because he doesn't do enough to warrant real playing time. I don't know why we brought him onboard other than to take a flyer on someone but given what I have seen of him this season and even in the games where he was good in Orlando, he's just not ready to do any of that on a high stakes team.

No coach's decision is perfect but if they don't believe a guy is quite ready then chances are, they aren't.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#97 » by Saberestar » Tue Jan 2, 2024 10:16 am

11 points and 9 rebounds in 20 minutes.
4/6 shooting
+10
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#98 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 10:31 am

Dude had a sweet game.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#99 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 7:56 pm

I like Bol Bol. he brings joy
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,290

Post#100 » by enigmatics » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:06 pm

He's starting to show why he was worth a look.

I hope his trajectory continues because he's turning out to be a key piece in the bench rotation even after so many considered him an end of bench after-thought.

Return to Phoenix Suns