ImageImageImage

Bol Bol

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 966

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#61 » by tleikheen » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:42 pm

Bol Bol should be whatever he can be ,just like Holmgren,Poku,Wemby who can dribble the ball upcourt when there's an advantage.From what I've seen of BolBol he can bring the ball up as well as any 7' in the NBA
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,224

Post#62 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:42 am

tleikheen wrote:Bol Bol should be whatever he can be ,just like Holmgren,Poku,Wemby who can dribble the ball upcourt when there's an advantage.From what I've seen of BolBol he can bring the ball up as well as any 7' in the NBA
It really isn't something you want to happen a lot.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,090

Post#63 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:45 am

Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,921

Post#64 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:08 am

Thing is he can't shoot and is a turnover machine.

Play him at Center where he can get opportunistic mismatches and he should be a good rim protected rebounder as 3rd depth center.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#65 » by bigfoot » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:52 pm

ā€œHeā€™s going to get a chance to compete. He fits the profile of the team weā€™re trying to build. Long, athletic, skilled. Has played some high-level basketball. Has dealt with high expectations and has bounced back from some tough setbacks,ā€ Jones said about Bol.

ā€œThe mental grit, the resilience and adaptability that heā€™s displayed is something that I think will help improve our team and if he can play the way he envisions himself playing, it just gives us another high-level player that we can count on and rely on as we try to march toward a championship.ā€

https://www.talkbasket.net/169011-suns-gm-james-jones-optimistic-on-bol-bol-addition
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:40 pm

Sounds like we're going full Bol, 'play the way he envisions himself playing', doesn't sound like we're going to hide him at 3rd backup center.

Gambo also thinks he's going to be in the rotation and speaks to Jones for info.

If Jones is going long:

Beal, Booker, Durant, Bates-Diop, Ayton
Goodwin, Gordon, Watanabe, Bol, Eubanks
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#67 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:07 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Sounds like we're going full Bol, 'play the way he envisions himself playing', doesn't sound like we're going to hide him at 3rd backup center.

Gambo also thinks he's going to be in the rotation and speaks to Jones for info.

If Jones is going long:

Beal, Booker, Durant, Bates-Diop, Ayton
Goodwin, Gordon, Watanabe, Bol, Eubanks
That could just mean Bol envisions himself as a good player and if he actually is one he'll play.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what GMs say.

Frankly I don't think Jones or Vogel know who's going to be in the rotation. 5-15 is very up in the air and we'll just have to see who comes out on top during camp and the early season.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bigfoot

Post#68 » by bigfoot » Tue Sep 5, 2023 3:10 am

bigfoot

Post#69 » by bigfoot » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:45 pm

;ab_channel=PhoenixSuns
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,916

Post#70 » by Fo-Real » Wed Oct 4, 2023 3:10 pm

STOP FIDGETING!!!!!!! :x :o :D :lol:
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#71 » by spanishninja » Wed Oct 4, 2023 3:42 pm

bigfoot wrote:

those plays are just absurd. I know he is basically just a walking meme at this point but we can actually get him to do that sort of stuff even 30% of the time, that's added value
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#72 » by Bogyo » Wed Oct 4, 2023 4:03 pm

From earlier reports his problems are also above the neck. He could (easily?) be a strech 5 with good rim protection off the bench (think really poor mans Brook Lopez), but seeminly wants a lot bigger role, etc... thats where the problems come. If Vogel (and KD?) can get to him we might have something, but after all this time in the league its unlikely.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,065

Post#73 » by sunsbg » Wed Oct 4, 2023 5:32 pm

Nurkic when asked in his interview about Bol Bol - "He's not a C, he's a guard".
bigfoot

Post#74 » by bigfoot » Wed Oct 4, 2023 5:33 pm

Bogyo wrote:From earlier reports his problems are also above the neck. He could (easily?) be a strech 5 with good rim protection off the bench (think really poor mans Brook Lopez), but seeminly wants a lot bigger role, etc... thats where the problems come. If Vogel (and KD?) can get to him we might have something, but after all this time in the league its unlikely.

I tend to agree with the "above the neck" problem. Watch his media day video ... it was pretty uncomfortable at the end. The Suns should get him a one-on-one sports psychologist just to help him out on that side of the equation.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#75 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Oct 4, 2023 7:38 pm

lol I changed my mind on him after the way he looked at Kellan.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#76 » by TASTIC » Wed Oct 4, 2023 10:17 pm

Such an awkward interview. Really felt for him when he couldn't name a single thing he's improved on...

My buddy is a Magic fan so watched a lot of their games with him last year and the ONE thing that people say is a strength of his (bringing the ball up court) to me, was a real weakness. He threw horrendous, forced passes. His dribble was super high and loose.

Just cos you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should.

I get that it's a talent and he's a really intriguing piece with a diverse skillset...but stick to hitting 3s, grabbing boards and blocking shots.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,023

Post#77 » by garrick » Thu Oct 5, 2023 2:31 am

TASTIC wrote:Such an awkward interview. Really felt for him when he couldn't name a single thing he's improved on...

My buddy is a Magic fan so watched a lot of their games with him last year and the ONE thing that people say is a strength of his (bringing the ball up court) to me, was a real weakness. He threw horrendous, forced passes. His dribble was super high and loose.

I get that it's a talent and he's a really intriguing piece with a diverse skillset...but stick to hitting 3s, grabbing boards and blocking shots.

I really have to question why we took on Bol Bol who is clearly still a project when JJ has always hated those kind of players.

I guess Ishbia really likes him but I don't know why we couldn't have just signed him with a 2 way contract instead of a fully guaranteed contract since he hasn't proven he can play at a high level yet. Sure he might put it all together but all the trades we've made so far have been about getting "proven" players not raw prospects who just might figure it out one day.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,656

Post#78 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:15 am

garrick wrote:
TASTIC wrote:Such an awkward interview. Really felt for him when he couldn't name a single thing he's improved on...

I really have to question why we took on Bol Bol who is clearly still a project when JJ has always hated those kind of players.

I guess Ishbia really likes him but I don't know why we couldn't have just signed him with a 2 way contract instead of a fully guaranteed contract since he hasn't proven he can play at a high level yet. Sure he might put it all together but all the trades we've made so far have been about getting "proven" players not raw prospects who just might figure it out one day.

It's almost certainly an Ishbia signing. Jones doesn't go for these types of players.

As to your question on why he wasn't on a two-way contract, only players with less than four years of experience in the NBA can sign a two-way contract. Bol Bol....kind of surprisingly has been in the league for 4 years and is starting his 5th season. In his first 3 seasons he only played 53 games combined coming off Denver's bench so a lot of people didn't even know he was in the NBA until last season when he played 70 games and started almost half of them
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 357

Post#79 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Thu Oct 5, 2023 2:00 pm

TASTIC wrote:His dribble was super high and loose.

Reminds me of any time Javale would put the ball on the floor. You expect a crazy high dribble, a turnover or similar Shaq fodder. I will say that some of the highlights of Bol show he has more skill at it than McGee but still creates similar anxiety.

I hope we see a ton of him and give him a good evaluation by being in a ton of blowout victories where we get to see our scrappy bench go to town.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,224

Post#80 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Oct 5, 2023 10:40 pm

I don't think he's a strong enough perimeter defender, but I'd be interest in seeing him play some 4 with Nurkic or Eubanks. KD/Bol/Eubanks seems like it would be annoying to get a successful drive against.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft

Return to Phoenix Suns