Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,701

Re: Welcome Jusuf Nurkić 

Post#241 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:41 am

garrick wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
I heard the league is about to make an example out of Draymond and ban him for two years without pay.

If they do this, the Warriors are CHEERING

I had a look at his salary and he's only in his first year of a 4yr $100m deal. He still has $78m left on his contract after this season and if he's banned for 2 years without pay, that would significantly help out the Warriors financially.

I highly doubt it though. I think it'll be more like a 25 game suspension or something.

Nah I highly doubt they would ban him for 2 years when someone like Miles Bridges wasn't even banned for that long for his domestic abuse charges. He got 2 games for his last infraction so something under 10 games is pretty fair if you ask me.

I think 25 games is the likely upper end. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 10 which is very soft for a repeat offender but 20 would be the minimum in my book.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,569

Post#242 » by bwgood77 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:58 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
garrick wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:If they do this, the Warriors are CHEERING

I had a look at his salary and he's only in his first year of a 4yr $100m deal. He still has $78m left on his contract after this season and if he's banned for 2 years without pay, that would significantly help out the Warriors financially.

I highly doubt it though. I think it'll be more like a 25 game suspension or something.

Nah I highly doubt they would ban him for 2 years when someone like Miles Bridges wasn't even banned for that long for his domestic abuse charges. He got 2 games for his last infraction so something under 10 games is pretty fair if you ask me.

I think 25 games is the likely upper end. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 10 which is very soft for a repeat offender but 20 would be the minimum in my book.

It's probably something like Kyrie, when they made him apologize to the Jewish community and go to counseling or whatever.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,920

Post#243 » by Fo-Real » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:18 pm

Anyone know what the "Personal reasons' are for him being out?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,569

Post#244 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:36 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Anyone know what the "Personal reasons' are for him being out?

Death in family I believe, so probably wanted to stay with his family through Christmas.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,878

Post#245 » by Saberestar » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:30 am

“We’re not going to be perfect. I’m not going to be perfect. As long as the intention is to win, I’m cool with it. I’m trying to be Phoenix Suns for the rest of my life. I’m not tripping about one game.”

Jusuf Nurkic on not playing 4th quarter of Suns loss to Clippers.

Read on Twitter
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Post#246 » by AtheJ415 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:51 am

Saberestar wrote:
“We’re not going to be perfect. I’m not going to be perfect. As long as the intention is to win, I’m cool with it. I’m trying to be Phoenix Suns for the rest of my life. I’m not tripping about one game.”

Read on Twitter

Bull **** statement. What Nurkic did in that Clippers game is exactly why this team sucks. His effort level was beyond inexcusable. He came out lazy as **** and should've never gotten in again after that first 4 minutes of gameplay. He individually gave up 6-8 points and at least 4 offensive rebounds in those 4 minutes. Until this team grows up, none of this will improve. I'll say it again, we need an adult and we desperately need accountability.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#247 » by Saberestar » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:53 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Read on Twitter

Bull **** statement. What Nurkic did in that Clippers game is exactly why this team sucks. His effort level was beyond inexcusable. He came out lazy as **** and should've never gotten in again after that first 4 minutes of gameplay. He individually gave up 6-8 points and at least 4 offensive rebounds in those 4 minutes. Until this team grows up, none of this will improve. I'll say it again, we need an adult and we desperately need accountability.

Nurkic always plays with effort and plays winning basketball doing the little things. A few plays in one game aren't changing that.

He just had a bad stretch of plays in this game and that's why he said that he isn't perfect and he was OK with staying on the bench all 4th quarter. He was somewhat punished by Vogel for his bad play and now that's over. To the next game.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,056

Post#248 » by garrick » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:40 pm

Saberestar wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nurkic always plays with effort and plays winning basketball doing the little things. A few plays in one game aren't changing that.

He just had a bad stretch of plays in this game and that's why he said that he isn't perfect and he was OK with staying on the bench all 4th quarter. He was somewhat punished by Vogel for his bad play and now that's over. To the next game.

His body of work though suggests he isn't ever going to be consistent on defense no matter what he says.

He is a big part of the problem because when he isn't grabbing rebounds or scoring efficiently he is such a liability on defense he can't be trusted to play in crunch time. We don't need a center that can pass or shoot a poor percentage on 3 pointers just someone that can rebound, play defense and finish inside when necessary.

I don't think Nurkic is that player.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,309

Post#249 » by enigmatics » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:36 pm

garrick wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:

His body of work though suggests he isn't ever going to be consistent on defense no matter what he says.

He is a big part of the problem because when he isn't grabbing rebounds or scoring efficiently he is such a liability on defense he can't be trusted to play in crunch time. We don't need a center that can pass or shoot a poor percentage on 3 pointers just someone that can rebound, play defense and finish inside when necessary.

I don't think Nurkic is that player.

He most certainly has his liabilities on defense and in that Clippers game he was dog sh-, but the issues in the paint go waaaaaaaaay beyond that.

The perimeter defense is absolutely dreadful and no matter. Even if they had an upper echelon C on defense offenses would simply pull him out of that paint on switches. That's on top of the fact they're getting ZERO production/effort in terms weakside help from KD or any of his pathetic backups.

The defense is a team problem. Quit fixating on Nurk dude.
Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 110

Post#250 » by Fifii » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:32 pm

Maybe we should look at trade him for cheap rim protector and added some guy to our bench like Malcom Brogdon.

He isn’t difference maker and he have problem with good centers like AD and even Zu which is solid and about Siakam even don’t say.
garrick
Head Coach

Post#251 » by garrick » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:38 am

Fifii wrote:Maybe we should look at trade him for cheap rim protector and added some guy to our bench like Malcom Brogdon.

He isn’t difference maker and he have problem with good centers like AD and even Zu which is solid and about Siakam even don’t say.

That would be what I would do.

Brogdon though doesn't seem like a great floor general he's more a scoring combo guard but yeah he would be a huge upgrade over not having anyone remotely resembling a point guard.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Post#252 » by AtheJ415 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:44 am

Saberestar wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is a basketball malpractice level statement. His effort is wildly inconsistent. And it wasn't just a few plays. If he always played hard it wouldn't have been an issue in the Clippers game.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#253 » by Saberestar » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:57 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:

This is a basketball malpractice level statement. His effort is wildly inconsistent. And it wasn't just a few plays. If he always played hard it wouldn't have been an issue in the Clippers game.

IMO you are confusing one thing with the other.

He plays with effort and passion always but we are talking about a 7 feet player who weights around 290 lbs and doesn't have the agility and stamina to stay active all the time on all plays in every game.

Like I said I agree with you about this game in particular but that was the exception to the rule with Nurkic.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#254 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:27 pm

Why are we **** on Nurk? The defensive personnel when we play our starting 5 is simply not very good, KD is great when he tries but the rest are average at best and Grayson is way undersized at the 3. Nurk is the least of our problems, teams don't even attack Nurk since they've got better mismatches elsewhere.

Defensively I think we'd be better off starting Little instead, if he can hit 35% from 3 and also attack closeouts well I'd favour him over Grayson.

Other options would be to trade Grayson + Little for an upgrade at the 3, or otherwise start Bol Bol. Nurk/Bol/KD/Book/Beal takes us from kinda small to very long instantaneously
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#255 » by Saberestar » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:33 pm

The top 10 centers in LEBRON

1. Nikola Jokic
2. Joel Embiid
3. Anthony Davis
4. Domantas Sabonis
5. Kristaps Porzingis
6. Nic Claxton
7. Jusuf Nurkic
8. Bam Adebayo
9. Rudy Gobert
10. Jonas Valanciunas

LEBRON explainer here

Read on Twitter
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,601

Post#256 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:05 pm

Saberestar wrote:
The top 10 centers in LEBRON

1. Nikola Jokic
2. Joel Embiid
3. Anthony Davis
4. Domantas Sabonis
5. Kristaps Porzingis
6. Nic Claxton
7. Jusuf Nurkic
8. Bam Adebayo
9. Rudy Gobert
10. Jonas Valanciunas

LEBRON explainer here

Read on Twitter

Not a huge fan of LEBRON metrics system to reevaluate players I’d prefer a JORDAN metric system which is normally a winning scale with accurate results. JORDAN scale always comes through in the clutch while LEBRON starts out perfectly fine, but fades toward the end. Just my two cents Saber.
garrick
Head Coach

Post#257 » by garrick » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:36 am

sashaturiaf wrote:Why are we **** on Nurk? The defensive personnel when we play our starting 5 is simply not very good, KD is great when he tries but the rest are average at best and Grayson is way undersized at the 3. Nurk is the least of our problems, teams don't even attack Nurk since they've got better mismatches elsewhere.

Defensively I think we'd be better off starting Little instead, if he can hit 35% from 3 and also attack closeouts well I'd favour him over Grayson.

Other options would be to trade Grayson + Little for an upgrade at the 3, or otherwise start Bol Bol. Nurk/Bol/KD/Book/Beal takes us from kinda small to very long instantaneously

Nurk just adds to it with his inability to switch and tendency to pick up a lot of stupid fouls.

We don't play him in the 4th much for this reason but if we did teams would definitely go after him.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#258 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:38 am

Got to show some love for big Nurk. Not only has he been a great teammate and solid on the court, he's the best enforcer in the NBA.

He will never get hot headed enough to get ejected himself, but he also won't back down and loves a bit of rough and tumble under the basket.

He's already gotten Draymond suspended indefinitely and now it's Grant Williams turn to get tossed.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,988

Post#259 » by kennydorglas » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:40 am

Those europeans bigs are built different.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#260 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:55 am

kennydorglas wrote:Those europeans bigs are built different.

Nice to have a big who actually wants to be a big.

Return to Phoenix Suns