Welcome Jusuf Nurkić

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,256

Re: Welcome Jusuf Nurkić 

Post#281 » by enigmatics » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:47 am

bwgood77 wrote:[
Yeah, I remember Zach Lowe saying when he got traded that he was curious if he'd be happy with his usage, which is definitely the lowest in his career. His shots are tied for the lowest with the year he came back from the bad injury...at least since 2016 when he played half the year in Denver behind Jokic.

But someone will be unhappy. I think Beal is the one guy who seems to accept more or fewer shots (which is nice given he has always been the #1 in WAS), but KD, Book, Gordon and Nurkic definitely want theirs.

But yeah, he's definitely being passive agressive with the second comment, particularly the last part.

Read his words again:

"I just try to do my role, whether I like it or not. We can talk about that, but I accept it. The owner (Mat Ishbia) and GM, James Jones, they explained it to me. It's appreciated what they're asking of me. It's been weird to be used the way I've been used."

What is passive aggressive about saying his role has been weird compared to his role on the Blazers? That's just a man speaking an obvious fact that it's a big difference in utilization but he's accepting of it and adjusting. Oh btw he also went on to say he's willing to do anything for this Suns team competing for a championship. This is the very same man promoting his teammates on social media almost every night and in the media as well.

Only thing passive aggressive has been the continuation of your veiled lack of support of Big Nurk or acknowledgment of his contributions and 10000% clear you didn't watch the interview.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#282 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:34 am

Maybe Blazer fans have a better read of Nurk since he's been there longer but I've literally not seen or heard anything from him since he's been in Phoenix that reads remotely as being unhappy with his role or unhappy in general. Quite the opposite in fact. In spite of what some Blaze fans have mentioned when we traded for him about him being unhappy with touches etc, I think he's been an absolute ideal team mate and consummate professional even during the times when we were struggling.

The post game pressers, social media and interviews have all been very positive.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,159

Post#283 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:55 am

lol im not trying to stir up anything, these are literally his words

he said theyre playing too much iso bball and he said the same multiple times during his tenure in pdx

it doesnt have to mean he wants to avg 15 shots per game, but more likely he wants the team to move the ball, get everyone involved, cause he believes thats when they play the best

of course, kd, book & beal are three best scorers on the team, so naturally they will take the most shots, but you have to involve the "others" in order to get the best out of them, you cant win without them

why would nurk mention "iso bball" if he has no problem with it... im not saying he will make problems, just that that its worth to watch the situation develop and follow his effort/play (he plays the best when hes involved, it makes him happy)
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#284 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:50 am

All Nurk said was that we occasionally get into an iso-ball rut which is 100% true. I don't hear any passive aggressiveness in his tone. Actually think he should've called it out more despite the issue being fairly public and no one is going to be mad with him vocalising it.

Don't see any reason to make it sound like dude is mad and unhappy with his role or touches.

He's actually just as involved in the offense as he was with the Blazers, right now averaging around 54.5 touches a game which is 4th on the team. Not too far off his time in Portland.

But I'm no Nurk whisperer so I can't read any more into it
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#285 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:17 am

Best +/- for the team and played the most games.

That says it all.

I'd even argue he's 3rd most important player ahead of Beal.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#286 » by kennydorglas » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:50 am

I have ZERO problems with Nurk complaining about iso bball
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#287 » by enigmatics » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:16 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:lol im not trying to stir up anything, these are literally his words

he said theyre playing too much iso bball and he said the same multiple times during his tenure in pdx

it doesnt have to mean he wants to avg 15 shots per game, but more likely he wants the team to move the ball, get everyone involved, cause he believes thats when they play the best

of course, kd, book & beal are three best scorers on the team, so naturally they will take the most shots, but you have to involve the "others" in order to get the best out of them, you cant win without them

why would nurk mention "iso bball" if he has no problem with it... im not saying he will make problems, just that that its worth to watch the situation develop and follow his effort/play (he plays the best when hes involved, it makes him happy)

I think you should "watch" cough errrrr go worry about your own ball club.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Post#288 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:37 pm

enigmatics wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:[
Yeah, I remember Zach Lowe saying when he got traded that he was curious if he'd be happy with his usage, which is definitely the lowest in his career. His shots are tied for the lowest with the year he came back from the bad injury...at least since 2016 when he played half the year in Denver behind Jokic.

But someone will be unhappy. I think Beal is the one guy who seems to accept more or fewer shots (which is nice given he has always been the #1 in WAS), but KD, Book, Gordon and Nurkic definitely want theirs.

But yeah, he's definitely being passive agressive with the second comment, particularly the last part.

Read his words again:

"I just try to do my role, whether I like it or not. We can talk about that, but I accept it. The owner (Mat Ishbia) and GM, James Jones, they explained it to me. It's appreciated what they're asking of me. It's been weird to be used the way I've been used."

What is passive aggressive about saying his role has been weird compared to his role on the Blazers? That's just a man speaking an obvious fact that it's a big difference in utilization but he's accepting of it and adjusting. Oh btw he also went on to say he's willing to do anything for this Suns team competing for a championship. This is the very same man promoting his teammates on social media almost every night and in the media as well.

Only thing passive aggressive has been the continuation of your veiled lack of support of Big Nurk or acknowledgment of his contributions and 10000% clear you didn't watch the interview.

I really like how Nurkic is playing. But I don't think he's extremely happy about his role. "Ido my role, whether I like it or not" "It's just weird they are using me this way"

He clearly fits better than Ayton but if Ayton said something like that you and others would definitely be saying negative stuff about it.

But it's fine we have different opinions. The Blazers fan here obviously knows him better than we do, as does Zach Lowe.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#289 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:40 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Best +/- for the team and played the most games.

That says it all.

I'd even argue he's 3rd most important player ahead of Beal.

I think that mainly comes down to his backups not being as good, and he typically starts and plays with Book, Beal and KD, who, when playing together, have an insane net rating. Obviously when the backup Cs are in there with our crap second unit and maybe one of the big 3, the +/- #s will look bad. He may be the 3rd most important due to not having capable backups. or people to cover for him with a nice big man rotation.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#290 » by enigmatics » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:20 am

bwgood77 wrote:I really like how Nurkic is playing. But I don't think he's extremely happy about his role. "Ido my role, whether I like it or not" "It's just weird they are using me this way"

He clearly fits better than Ayton but if Ayton said something like that you and others would definitely be saying negative stuff about it.

But it's fine we have different opinions. The Blazers fan here obviously knows him better than we do, as does Zach Lowe.

This isn't about "having different opinions" as I'd never suggest you couldn't have your own.

Blazer teams WEREN'T playing for championships so I couldn't give two craps what happened there. Btw you say "Blazer fans" like they all held a hearing to confirm your accusations when it's simply NOT the case bro. Sorry, if anything it's a mixed bag.

That's irrespective to the fact that Nurk has done exactly what he said he would do and that's BUY IN and he's doing all the little stuff miscaculAyton refused.

If Nurk took games off, as well as stayed up all night smoking weed and playing video games I'd call him out. If the dude sat himself in playoff games I'd call him out on that as well.

bwgood77 wrote:I think that mainly comes down to his backups not being as good, and he typically starts and plays with Book, Beal and KD, who, when playing together, have an insane net rating. Obviously when the backup Cs are in there with our crap second unit and maybe one of the big 3, the +/- #s will look bad. He may be the 3rd most important due to not having capable backups. or people to cover for him with a nice big man rotation.

This is what I'm talking about.

You're begrudgingly acknowledging his performance all because his backups ain't good and then followed it up with a bunch of hypothetical mumbo jumbo. Sorry man it's just so obvious.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#291 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:45 am

enigmatics wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I really like how Nurkic is playing. But I don't think he's extremely happy about his role. "Ido my role, whether I like it or not" "It's just weird they are using me this way"

This isn't about "having different opinions" as I'd never suggest you couldn't have your own.

Blazer teams WEREN'T playing for championships so I couldn't give two craps what happened there. Btw you say "Blazer fans" like they all held a hearing to confirm your accusations when it's simply NOT the case bro. Sorry, if anything it's a mixed bag.

That's irrespective to the fact that Nurk has done exactly what he said he would do and that's BUY IN and he's doing all the little stuff miscaculAyton refused.

If Nurk took games off, as well as stayed up all night smoking weed and playing video games I'd call him out. If the dude sat himself in playoff games I'd call him out on that as well.

bwgood77 wrote:I think that mainly comes down to his backups not being as good, and he typically starts and plays with Book, Beal and KD, who, when playing together, have an insane net rating. Obviously when the backup Cs are in there with our crap second unit and maybe one of the big 3, the +/- #s will look bad. He may be the 3rd most important due to not having capable backups. or people to cover for him with a nice big man rotation.

This is what I'm talking about.

You're begrudgingly acknowledging his performance all because his backups ain't good and then followed it up with a bunch of hypothetical mumbo jumbo. Sorry man it's just so obvious.

I have no agenda here. To me, his comments are obviously passive aggressive. I like what he's done, I like the trade, I like him. I can understand why he would rather they play a little different style and get everyone equally involved, moving the ball. I agree with him.

+/- ALWAYS depends on who you play with and who your backup is. Nurkic plays most all his minutes with all the big 3 and our starters which are great. The others stagger more. I think he is very important though...in part because of his backup being a step down, but it's just an important position given the overlap of scorers...so I think missing him is a bigger impact than maybe missing Beal or Allen, but I don't think a better +/- means he's more important than Book or KD.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#292 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:49 pm

+/- is literally the meaningless, trash ass stat

countless times ive seen players who had better games than others have worse +/- and vice versa
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#293 » by enigmatics » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:21 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:+/- is literally the meaningless, trash ass stat

countless times ive seen players who had better games than others have worse +/- and vice versa

So is your take.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#294 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:30 pm

enigmatics wrote:

So is your take.

well, that is your opinion, mine is not, its a fact
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#295 » by Golanator » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:32 pm

I've watched 95% of the games this season and never once seen Nurk complaining about touches or doing anything but playing hard and playing his role. He seems to love it in Phoenix, loves his teammates, and has even said he hopes to spend the rest of his career here.

Why are people making up some narrative that he's unhappy??
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#296 » by sunsbg » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:42 pm

Golanator wrote:I've watched 95% of the games this season and never once seen Nurk complaining about touches or doing anything but playing hard and playing his role. He seems to love it in Phoenix, loves his teammates, and has even said he hopes to spend the rest of his career here.

Nurk's been a big part of the offense, so I don't get it either. Neither same talk about Beal a few days ago. The team is winning. Everybody looks happy.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#297 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:07 am

Golanator wrote:I've watched 95% of the games this season and never once seen Nurk complaining about touches or doing anything but playing hard and playing his role. He seems to love it in Phoenix, loves his teammates, and has even said he hopes to spend the rest of his career here.

It's weird

Being unhappy and bringing up a legit issue are two totally different things.

We heard Beal earlier this season call out our effort....which was severely lacking. Does that mean he's unhappy?

We heard KD let Book know to get his first and look to playmake second. Unhappy??
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#298 » by enigmatics » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:54 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:

It's weird

Being unhappy and bringing up a legit issue are two totally different things.

We heard Beal earlier this season call out our effort....which was severely lacking. Does that mean he's unhappy?

We heard KD let Book know to get his first and look to playmake second. Unhappy??

Exactly.

It boils down to the fact that there's a handful of people here (some more miserable than others) who are foaming at the mouth waiting for something to jump on Nurk about so they can somehow justify Deandre UnaccomodAyton's tenure.

I couldn't name one Suns player exhibiting more aspects of a great teammate than Nurk right now. You can tell that regardless of the potential utilization differences between PDX vs. PHX - dude loves being here and loves his teammates. He goes out of his way to show it on a damn near nightly basis.

Dude recognizes and relishes playing next to future HOF'ers where as Ain'tHim was glaringly jealous of them, tuned them out, and refused to play 3rd or 4th fiddle.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#299 » by enigmatics » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:56 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
enigmatics wrote:

So is your take.

well, that is your opinion, mine is not, its a fact

Tell me you have nothing better to do because your team is 100% ass without actually telling me.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#300 » by kennydorglas » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:10 pm

Portland's forum is literally dead
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola

Return to Phoenix Suns