Around the NBA - 23-24 Other playoff series

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,739

Re: Around the NBA - 23-24 

Post#41 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:06 am

Mark Williams with 24 rebounds....15 on the offensive end!
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,125

Post#42 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:58 am

Mavs with 30-2 run against Clippers. Lol. I guess these super teams need some time to gel.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,258

Post#43 » by Bogyo » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:18 am

Kinda around NBA kinda Suns, as I was looking at stuff now... The Grizz are missing 2 important players, but they still have Bane/JJ/Smart and all of their players pretty much from last year - yet they are 1-8. Compared to that our record is gleaming shiny. Just shows you how much it matters to have the full team playing, and everybody in their roles to have the optimal result. This fLakers game for example - if Book starts and Allen comes off the bench I think we win easy. Everyone slides into their "natural" role, I think our starter is pretty much set with KBD by now, Nurk found his optimal role as well. So basically we really only need health.
# waiting for the next chapter
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#44 » by Bogyo » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:18 am

sunsbg wrote:Mavs with 30-2 run against Clippers. Lol. I guess these super teams need some time to gel.

Yeah, thats not gonna end well right there. Cant say I'm unhappy about that :D
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#45 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:15 am

Bogyo wrote:Kinda around NBA kinda Suns, as I was looking at stuff now... The Grizz are missing 2 important players, but they still have Bane/JJ/Smart and all of their players pretty much from last year - yet they are 1-8. Compared to that our record is gleaming shiny. Just shows you how much it matters to have the full team playing, and everybody in their roles to have the optimal result. This fLakers game for example - if Book starts and Allen comes off the bench I think we win easy. Everyone slides into their "natural" role, I think our starter is pretty much set with KBD by now, Nurk found his optimal role as well. So basically we really only need health.

I've been totally off in some of my expectations of teams

I expected Dallas to be so-so but they are 7-2.
I expected Memphis to be at least decent because of continuity but they have been absolutely abysmal.
I expected Philly to have real issues losing such a big part of their team from last season but they and Maxey look better than ever.
I expected Minny to be meh as per usual but they've looked really good. Ant's has reached a new level and looks great defensively.

And of course, I expected us to be better, I expected us to not have our big 3 in and out of the line up but I'm far from pressing the panic button
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#46 » by Bogyo » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:40 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:Kinda around NBA kinda Suns, as I was looking at stuff now... The Grizz are missing 2 important players, but they still have Bane/JJ/Smart and all of their players pretty much from last year - yet they are 1-8. Compared to that our record is gleaming shiny. Just shows you how much it matters to have the full team playing, and everybody in their roles to have the optimal result. This fLakers game for example - if Book starts and Allen comes off the bench I think we win easy. Everyone slides into their "natural" role, I think our starter is pretty much set with KBD by now, Nurk found his optimal role as well. So basically we really only need health.

I expected Memphis to be at least decent because of continuity but they have been absolutely abysmal.
I expected Philly to have real issues losing such a big part of their team from last season but they and Maxey look better than ever.
I expected Minny to be meh as per usual but they've looked really good. Ant's has reached a new level and looks great defensively.

And of course, I expected us to be better, I expected us to not have our big 3 in and out of the line up but I'm far from pressing the panic button

Almost the same.
Dallas spot on.
Memphis I had bit more doubts, and when Adams went down I kinda "knew" that they will be bad. Maybe not 1-8, but something like that.
Philly same.
Minny I had more faith, as Ant has been the one who seems to have profited from the national team experience.

Of course I also had us better,but I feel like I am (we are) not in the position to be a lot smarter than before tipoff.Overreactions...
Injuries and defense a concern, 5th starter issue, we traded the DA problems for the Nurk problems (overall basketball effect similar). New coach, better bench (when everyone healthy), better ownership situation, etc... Thats was all true before the season, and all true now. We dont have much more info than 3 weeks ago in all reality! I (we all should!) take it from here when the big3 played together 15 games. I'm not saying we will be the best team ever or even win the chip, but we'll be a vastly different team than what we see now.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#47 » by Qwigglez » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:39 am

I did not realize Oubre was on a vet's minimum contract. He's absolutely crushing it so far with the Sixers. Suns could have brought him in over Okogie, and would have been slightly cheaper (Okogie at $2.8 million, Oubre at $2 million).
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#48 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:01 am

Qwigglez wrote:I did not realize Oubre was on a vet's minimum contract. He's absolutely crushing it so far with the Sixers. Suns could have brought him in over Okogie, and would have been slightly cheaper (Okogie at $2.8 million, Oubre at $2 million).

Oubre was holding out for more than a vet min and only signed with the Sixers when it was clear he wasn't getting that. He was a guy I wanted but I can also see why we may not have gone for him. We can be annoyed at Gordon for his lack of vision and having his blinders on when he wants to score but Oubre only has 5 assist in 232 min of play. He just doesn't pass
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#49 » by Bogyo » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:13 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I did not realize Oubre was on a vet's minimum contract. He's absolutely crushing it so far with the Sixers. Suns could have brought him in over Okogie, and would have been slightly cheaper (Okogie at $2.8 million, Oubre at $2 million).

Oubre was holding out for more than a vet min and only signed with the Sixers when it was clear he wasn't getting that. He was a guy I wanted but I can also see why we may not have gone for him. We can be annoyed at Gordon for his lack of vision and having his blinders on when he wants to score but Oubre only has 5 assist in 232 min of play. He just doesn't pass

He was the one that "fell through the cracks" this year in FA. There is always one dude like that. Every.single.year.like.clockwork.
I said quite a few times in the begining of the FA that we should keep a spot open for that guy - no matter if he is a guard/wing/big and maybe in a position that we don't need, as he will always be better overall for the team than the other minimum guys.
Then I stopped beating the drum as I was very happy with our signings at that time (to give full disclousure).
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:50 am

Yup, we don't have an offense with much ball movement. Oubre would have fit perfectly. Whether he was a realistic option after his exit from the valley I don't know.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,620

Post#51 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:12 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:

I thought Dallas could be tough if healthy. Luka is a top 3 or 5 player and Kyrie still has it as a very clutch guy, and they are playing well together. Add in the right role players along with getting a nice C in the draft was good. I think Grant Williams was a nice piece to get too.

Minnesota does look better too, with Gobert and Towns playing together and Ant doing his thing. Then they have a lot of nice role players (McDaniels, Naz Reid, Slo Mo) along with an experienced PG in Conley...much better fit for the group than DLo was.

They basically have the best defensive C, the best shooting C, and maybe the best young guy in recent years who is improving rapidly along with that vet PG.

Philly very impressive too. It's amazing what the Harden effect has been. He must be hard to play with. Philly seems better without him and the Clippers seem FAR FAR worse with him. George has had two off nights...bad ones, since Harden joined, and Kawhi one. This wasn't really happening before.

They should consider using Harden as a 6th man as he was used in OKC. If they don't come together, they could Kawhi and George, who have player options next year in the last year of their deals. Though teams would have to have MASSIVE cap space to sign them. Each of their options are over $48 million, so that would be a lot to leave on the table.

Memphis is pretty surprising too, but Adams was a huge loss. And of course Ja, especially when they also lost Tyus Jones who was probably the best backup in the league. I thought Smart would help a lot, but they lost their tone setter/enforcer on D and their best offense player and PG and the best backup PG.

Ja will help when he returns, but without Adams and Tyus Jones, I think they could continue to struggle and will have to fight just to get in the play in.

They will have their own or Washington's pick though, and they are the best drafting team, so they may be able to add another nice weapon for next year.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#52 » by Qwigglez » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:13 am

Damn, hope Oubre is okay.

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#53 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:20 am

When I saw Woj's post on IG, I had a bad feeling and then read it and thought the worst. But he did say the injuries are bad but not season ending so not too bad....

hoping for the best
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 335

Post#54 » by bullsaficianado » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:34 am

It was a damn hit and run. I bet the driver was on their stupid phone. Pay close attention out there to motorists guys don't trust them if you are out walking to many distractions these days. Get well Kelly!
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#55 » by Qwigglez » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:59 am

lilfishi22 wrote:When I saw Woj's post on IG, I had a bad feeling and then read it and thought the worst. But he did say the injuries are bad but not season ending so not too bad....

hoping for the best

Woj is kind of a douche for using that specific photo...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#56 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:21 am

bullsaficianado wrote:It was a damn hit and run. I bet the driver was on their stupid phone. Pay close attention out there to motorists guys don't trust them if you are out walking to many distractions these days. Get well Kelly!

I still remember when I was in my early 20's, coming home after a night out with mates and we were stopped at a red light at an intersection and we were just having a laugh and not paying attention to the lights. Lights turned green maybe 2-3 seconds before my mate who was driving realised it was green and he casually drove out and a car ran the red light right past us, maybe 3m in front, without any indications of slowing down. If my mate had paid attention and went when the moment the light turned green, that car would've wiped us out.

From then on, I'm careful and take my time looking both ways again when pulling out at intersections because you never know what idiot isn't paying attention, reckless or perhaps running from the cops or any number of reasons. IDGAF if I'm slow at pulling out and the impatient driver behind me honks the horn because I'm taking my time.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by sunsbg » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:18 am

I was sceptical players will take the in season tournament seriously, but could be wrong about it. The games have been close and players are told even last possession of a game is important because of points differential rule in the group stage. More competitive games early in the season is really good for the league.
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 335

Post#58 » by bullsaficianado » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:20 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bullsaficianado wrote:It was a damn hit and run. I bet the driver was on their stupid phone. Pay close attention out there to motorists guys don't trust them if you are out walking to many distractions these days. Get well Kelly!

I still remember when I was in my early 20's, coming home after a night out with mates and we were stopped at a red light at an intersection and we were just having a laugh and not paying attention to the lights. Lights turned green maybe 2-3 seconds before my mate who was driving realised it was green and he casually drove out and a car ran the red light right past us, maybe 3m in front, without any indications of slowing down. If my mate had paid attention and went when the moment the light turned green, that car would've wiped us out.

From then on, I'm careful and take my time looking both ways again when pulling out at intersections because you never know what idiot isn't paying attention, reckless or perhaps running from the cops or any number of reasons. IDGAF if I'm slow at pulling out and the impatient driver behind me honks the horn because I'm taking my time.

True. It's good you learned from it and drive well. I actually could have gotten smashed at a 4 way intersection I had the right of way but I read what the driver was going to do in just a split second. They sped right through a red light it was definitely reckless driving. You just don't know what idiot on the road is not paying attention. Players do it with basketball and it's good to do it on the road try and guess what move a driver is going to make next.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#59 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:35 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:

My pet peeve is sitting at a light and the person in front of me doesn't go when it's green because they ARE looking on their phone, especially at short lights where only a limited # of cars get through.

But driving, I am always very careful with everything because I assume half of the younger drivers are messing around with their phones half the time.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#60 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:51 pm

Return to Phoenix Suns