My personal bet until the end of the season: DA > Bol Bol > Eubanks > Nurkic
KdoubleDees23
Rookie
And1: 817

Re: Ayton: Post Suns Haters 

Post#62 » by KdoubleDees23 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:26 pm

Ayton #4 in the league in rebounds
Not scoring this year but he needs more shots as he’s efficient
His team is young with a bunch of chuckers.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,617

Post#63 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:36 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:I’ve always wondered why DA has these dedicated stans. Serious question. It cannot be his game. Or his personality. Is it some kind of following related to college? Or are there a lot of Bahamian people? That would be the one I would understand. I’ve seen tons of people defending Campazzo to this day just because he is from here :lol:

I really don’t get the dedication these people have to this very ordinary player who was a huge mistake in Suns history.

I don't think anyone was a big fan of Ayton...it just became so negative and toxic surrounding him that people thought it was significant overkill and countered with some of the positives he brought.

I always thought it was a mistake drafting him and criticized him his whole rookie year and pissed people off, and realized being so negative about him wasn't adding to the forum, and aside from that he improved significantly on defense his next year and year after that..from being the worst C in the NBA to above average. Then he added the hook shot in year 3 and improved on it in year 4 to be elite from the floor shooting inside the arc, was one of the select few in history to shoot 65% on over 10 or 11 FGA per game.

Anyway, I thought the Ayton talk/hate would die down after the trade, but it remains, which is why this thread was created it seems so our main thread isn't still filled mostly with Ayton stuff. So there are some counters now too. But the people countering the hate are not starting anything...it's the ones that can't stand him and want to still follow him for whatever reason and fill our forum with it. I don't understand why they do. We had high picks before that were busts like Josh Jackson (just as hyped as Ayton in college) and he moved on and people forgot about him.

I maybe brought up the Luka stuff for a year but it felt like beating a dead horse after that...water under the bridge, and of course we made the finals.

Anyway, I don't expect much in Portland. I thought he might get close to 20 and maybe 10 boards, but I don't think he averages 20 with such bad distributing guards. He never even averaged 20 with Paul or Rubio...being the 2nd option with Rubio and the 3rd with Paul. It seems like he is the 4th option at best now (he should be the first guy they try to get it to if open but their guards and Grant want to shoot as much as possible), and that's with Simons out.

They can't spread the floor either since they have no 3 pt shooting so the paint will always be clogged with defenders.

Anyway, I'd be happy if our forum moved on from the Ayton bashing...but they say they won't. It just got old. Despite his faults, and his freezing up at times which people too as disengaged, he still averaged 17 and 10 in his first 5 years here, and only a handful of Cs average both of those #s, and it was on 60% shooting. But of course I know his faults and where he declined having watched every game, and how he doesn't create his own shot much, get to the line, and sometimes has poor rebounding games even though he still averaged double digit rebounding every year. He wasn't nearly as disappointing as our other top 5 picks like Jackson, Bender, Len, etc, or even Chriss who we traded a boatload for to draft at 8.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,066

Post#64 » by Calvin Klein » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:43 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:I’ve always wondered why DA has these dedicated stans. Serious question. It cannot be his game. Or his personality. Is it some kind of following related to college? Or are there a lot of Bahamian people? That would be the one I would understand. I’ve seen tons of people defending Campazzo to this day just because he is from here :lol:

I really don’t get the dedication these people have to this very ordinary player who was a huge mistake in Suns history.

I don't think anyone was a big fan of Ayton...it just became so negative and toxic surrounding him that people thought it was significant overkill and countered with some of the positives he brought.

I always thought it was a mistake drafting him and criticized him his whole rookie year and pissed people off, and realized being so negative about him wasn't adding to the forum, and aside from that he improved significantly on defense his next year and year after that..from being the worst C in the NBA to above average. Then he added the hook shot in year 3 and improved on it in year 4 to be elite from the floor shooting inside the arc, was one of the select few in history to shoot 65% on over 10 or 11 FGA per game.

Anyway, I thought the Ayton talk/hate would die down after the trade, but it remains, which is why this thread was created it seems so our main thread isn't still filled mostly with Ayton stuff. So there are some counters now too. But the people countering the hate are not starting anything...it's the ones that can't stand him and want to still follow him for whatever reason and fill our forum with it. I don't understand why they do. We had high picks before that were busts like Josh Jackson (just as hyped as Ayton in college) and he moved on and people forgot about him.

I maybe brought up the Luka stuff for a year but it felt like beating a dead horse after that...water under the bridge, and of course we made the finals.

Anyway, I don't expect much in Portland. I thought he might get close to 20 and maybe 10 boards, but I don't think he averages 20 with such bad distributing guards. He never even averaged 20 with Paul or Rubio...being the 2nd option with Rubio and the 3rd with Paul. It seems like he is the 4th option at best now (he should be the first guy they try to get it to if open but their guards and Grant want to shoot as much as possible), and that's with Simons out.

They can't spread the floor either since they have no 3 pt shooting so the paint will always be clogged with defenders.

Anyway, I'd be happy if our forum moved on from the Ayton bashing...but they say they won't. It just got old. Despite his faults, and his freezing up at times which people too as disengaged, he still averaged 17 and 10 in his first 5 years here, and only a handful of Cs average both of those #s, and it was on 60% shooting. But of course I know his faults and where he declined having watched every game, and how he doesn't create his own shot much, get to the line, and sometimes has poor rebounding games even though he still averaged double digit rebounding every year. He wasn't nearly as disappointing as our other top 5 picks like Jackson, Bender, Len, etc, or even Chriss who we traded a boatload for to draft at 8.

Ayton talk will eventually go away. It’s too fresh now and people will try to validate their opinions for a while.

We still have the suns blazers game to look forward to :D
KdoubleDees23
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#65 » by KdoubleDees23 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:13 pm

I just wish we got to see half a season with Ayton and this team
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,141

Post#66 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:20 pm

KdoubleDees23 wrote:I just wish we got to see half a season with Ayton and this team

Ayton didnt want to see half a season with this team.... :lol:
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,555

Post#67 » by Jdiddy701 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:14 pm

https://x.com/thehoopcentral/status/1718438756473348152?s=46&t=e2jUjMUourhO2823KONxMg

Monty finally has a center that plays with heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#68 » by NapoleonII » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:49 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:https://x.com/thehoopcentral/status/1718438756473348152?s=46&t=e2jUjMUourhO2823KONxMg

Monty's "system" has centers put up efficient numbers (IE clean-up duty).

Starting to think Ayton's otherwordly efficiency here was sightly inflated.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,617

Post#69 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:12 pm

NapoleonII wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=e2jUjMUourhO2823KONxMg

Monty's "system" has centers put up efficient numbers (IE clean-up duty).

Starting to think Ayton's otherwordly efficiency here was sightly inflated.

Now HE'S a C who dunks it. Not great at layups, but dunks it twice as often...2/3 of his shots at the rim...the other 1/3 inside 5 ft. It says 3-10 but ths shot chart shows all are within 5 ft. So his rebounding #s and shot selection range, he is similar to Capela/Gobert in that regard but not sure how he compares with them on D overall. But great #s for another young C.

RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,209

Post#70 » by RaisingArizona » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:33 pm

I'm not losing sleep over losing Greg Monroe 2.0
handsome salary
Rookie
And1: 1,134

Post#71 » by handsome salary » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:50 pm

KdoubleDees23 wrote:I just wish we got to see half a season with Ayton and this team

I don't see what Ayton's skill set would bring to this team. He wasn't double team worthy, post position fighter, board crasher, dribble up the floor, rebound box outer, skilled passer, three point shooter or quick decision maker. Finger rolls, fade aways, decent arc defense and patty cake put backs are not pushing this team over the hump.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,782

Post#72 » by sunsbum » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:39 am

Flex is now your father.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#73 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:41 am

A really handy 7 points today just a few off his opponent good effort though keep it up and get some rest.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,812

Post#74 » by Qwigglez » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:05 am

sunsbum wrote:https://streamable.com/0x1okm

He dominating! Look at that And1! Shooting 100% from the FT line so far this season. A 24% improvement from his previous 5 seasons. Nurkic is shooting 82% from the FT so far this season, an improvement of about 15% over his career average.
Anyway, Ayton got 2 steals... a block. He is a defensive warrior.

On a more serious note... do the Blazers have an offense yet? I don't think Billups is a good coach.
lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Post#75 » by lonea » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:03 am

Another WOOOOF gm by ayton

Guy is gonna avg single digit scoring this year

LOL
lonea
Rookie

Post#76 » by lonea » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:04 am

Qwigglez wrote:He dominating!

You mean dominayton?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,631

Post#77 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:18 am

lonea wrote:Another WOOOOF gm by ayton

LOL

Draymond averaged a triple single and he’s considered a great PF. Ayton is right there neck and neck with him.
lonea
Rookie

Post#78 » by lonea » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:25 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:

LOL

Draymond averaged a triple single and he’s considered a great PF. Ayton is right there neck and neck with him.

Quizas quizas quizas

dominayton will reveal his never before seen basketball iq and fire
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,631

Post#79 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:48 am

lonea wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:

LOL

Quizas quizas quizas

dominayton will reveal his never before seen basketball iq and fire

Siempre que te pregunto
Qué, cuándo, cómo y dónde
Tú siempre me respondes
Quizás, quizás, quizás
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,720

Post#80 » by Revived » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:47 am

NapoleonII wrote:Starting to think Ayton's otherwordly efficiency here was sightly inflated.

Starting to? Really? I mean wasn’t this obvious? An absurd amount of his FGs were assisted. He can’t create for himself consistently. He’s shown that numerous times when players would get doubled up and we needed someone else to create and score.

Read on Twitter

Portland’s paying $35M for this and has 3 years remaining. I think by end of the season, Ben Simmons contract will be more valuable than Ayton. Meaning Ayton may have the worst contract in the NBA.

Return to Phoenix Suns