ImageImageImage

Neither Devin Booker nor Kevin Durant are TOP 10 at the moment

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Re: Neither Devin Booker nor Kevin Durant are TOP 10 at the moment 

Post#41 » by sashaturiaf » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:38 pm

sunskerr wrote:I think comparing the 64 win team to this team is pretty pointless. That team was not gonna win any championship. A nice, "cute" team but they were maxed out cap wise and ceiling wise.

Now, this team also looks like it's not a winner either lol. The only difference is that one had its future draft picks and the other doesn't.

Our chance to win a championship quite frankly doesn't come down to any of this crap about trading for KD/Beal etc or losing the twins (the twins were not gonna move the needle come on people).

The problem was we didn't draft well from 2016-2020. Three busts in Bender/Chriss/Jackson, then wasting picks on Ayton and Smith. Having three chances to get a generational player next to Booker in Luka/SGA/Hali and missing on all three.

That's how you lock yourselves in to trading all your future picks for a 35 year old star when it becomes apparent you only have one dude who can score reliably in the playoffs and every other team has two.

Those years where book was still developing and ok with losing were the foundational years for today's team and our GMs consistently **** the bed when it came to the one area where the league lets you improve your roster for free.

The lack of draft picks will be our doom for the next decade if this team doesn't figure out how to play. I'll go as far as to say it's a 1 year window with KD getting older, Beal injury prone, and if you hate the minimum salary guys we got this past off-season, I got news for you minimum guys are usually even worse (see last years bench) so once those deals expire may help us.

Bender / Chriss / Jackson / Ayton / Smith

**** brutal ! Other than Ayton the rest got us worse returns than a 2nd round pick.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,088

Post#42 » by garrick » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:43 am

sashaturiaf wrote:
sunskerr wrote:I think comparing the 64 win team to this team is pretty pointless. That team was not gonna win any championship. A nice, "cute" team but they were maxed out cap wise and ceiling wise.

Now, this team also looks like it's not a winner either lol. The only difference is that one had its future draft picks and the other doesn't.

Our chance to win a championship quite frankly doesn't come down to any of this crap about trading for KD/Beal etc or losing the twins (the twins were not gonna move the needle come on people).

The problem was we didn't draft well from 2016-2020. Three busts in Bender/Chriss/Jackson, then wasting picks on Ayton and Smith. Having three chances to get a generational player next to Booker in Luka/SGA/Hali and missing on all three.

That's how you lock yourselves in to trading all your future picks for a 35 year old star when it becomes apparent you only have one dude who can score reliably in the playoffs and every other team has two.

Those years where book was still developing and ok with losing were the foundational years for today's team and our GMs consistently **** the bed when it came to the one area where the league lets you improve your roster for free.

The lack of draft picks will be our doom for the next decade if this team doesn't figure out how to play. I'll go as far as to say it's a 1 year window with KD getting older, Beal injury prone, and if you hate the minimum salary guys we got this past off-season, I got news for you minimum guys are usually even worse (see last years bench) so once those deals expire may help us.

**** brutal ! Other than Ayton the rest got us worse returns than a 2nd round pick.

You forgot to add Mikail and Cam & Camara who is looking like a real steal & is starting for the Blazers as their power forward.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,619

Post#43 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:04 am

garrick wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:

You forgot to add Mikail and Cam & Camara who is looking like a real steal & is starting for the Blazers as their power forward.

And Elie Okobo, Ty Jerome, Tyler Ulis, Alec Peters and Davon Reed.
garrick
Head Coach

Post#44 » by garrick » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:12 am

bwgood77 wrote:
garrick wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:

Most of these busts were under McD and JJ he just preferred to trade away 2nd round picks.

Besides passing on Hali his draft record is not terrible.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,933

Post#45 » by Saberestar » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:30 am

garrick wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
garrick wrote:

Most of these busts were under McD and JJ he just preferred to trade away 2nd round picks.

Besides passing on Hali his draft record is not terrible.

Our draft record is terrible indeed.

We have just drafted ONE All-Star player (Book) in the last 15 years and we have had so many high picks.

Most of them are out of the league and only a few of them are NBA starters. Ridiculous.
Son of Ra
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,040

Post#46 » by Son of Ra » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:07 am

Man I remember being high on Jackson, arguing he was gonna be better than Tatum, and convinced Bender would figure it out. :lol:
But you know what? At least back then there was hope, now we're just pants down fu**ed for the foreseeable future.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,632

Post#47 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:40 am

Son of Ra wrote:Man I remember being high on Jackson, arguing he was gonna be better than Tatum, and convinced Bender would figure it out. :lol:
But you know what? At least back then there was hope, now we're just pants down fu**ed for he foreseeable future.

Once we get Isaiah Thomas as head coach our team will look 5 times better. He has crazy coaching experience with the Knicks.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,257

Post#48 » by King4Day » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:43 pm

garrick wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:

If it's true we put him in the deal because we didn't want to give up Goodwin....man that's painful. I was ok with it at the time because I believed in Goodwin but that ship is sailing right now. Camara's energy is something we could use right now.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,257

Post#49 » by King4Day » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:48 pm

Son of Ra wrote:Man I remember being high on Jackson, arguing he was gonna be better than Tatum, and convinced Bender would figure it out. :lol:
But you know what? At least back then there was hope, now we're just pants down fu**ed for the foreseeable future.

We have 1.5 seasons to figure it out. If we can't, they'll blow it up, bring in young talent and picks for Booker and KD. Watch them grow, but be unable to put anything around them via the draft (for the most part) and lose those guys too.

There was always the fallback option of blowing it up and tanking. I didn't like the dark days but it was fun to see if we'd land a big name in the draft. That option is out the window for the next 7 years.

Things could be a lot uglier very soon if it's not figured out.
Seems we made big moves a season too late.

The franchise is at risk of losing a LOT of the fanbase because of this. If only we held on in '21. Having a ring under our belt would have made all of this so much easier to digest.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,425

Post#50 » by sunskerr » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:56 pm

King4Day wrote:

We have 1.5 seasons to figure it out. If we can't, they'll blow it up, bring in young talent and picks for Booker and KD. Watch them grow, but be unable to put anything around them via the draft (for the most part) and lose those guys too.

There was always the fallback option of blowing it up and tanking. I didn't like the dark days but it was fun to see if we'd land a big name in the draft. That option is out the window for the next 7 years.

The franchise is at risk of losing a LOT of the fanbase because of this. If only we held on in '21. Having a ring under our belt would have made all of this so much easier to digest.

To be fair if you look at Benders recent years in europe he kinda did figure it out. Tore his acl twice, but can't deny he's hooping at at least the european level, much better than he was here in the nba. For us, a bust nonetheless.

Agree with things potentially being even uglier than the dark ages...at least we had picks back then. If this team fails, we are **** for 10+ years.

This sub will die off.
garrick
Head Coach

Post#51 » by garrick » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:03 am

sunskerr wrote:
King4Day wrote:

To be fair if you look at Benders recent years in europe he kinda did figure it out. Tore his acl twice, but can't deny he's hooping at at least the european level, much better than he was here in the nba. For us, a bust nonetheless.

Agree with things potentially being even uglier than the dark ages...at least we had picks back then. If this team fails, we are **** for 10+ years.

This sub will die off.

The bandwagoner fans will drop off leaving only the few die hards like it was during the post Nash years.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,075

Post#52 » by Calvin Klein » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:17 pm

sunskerr wrote:

This sub will die off.

During the tanking years we had more traffic in game threads than this season. I think it's mostlyl due to forums being kind of old now. Most people use social media. But I'm sure there'd be more people here if this team was any fun to watch.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,619

Post#53 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:52 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

This sub will die off.

During the tanking years we had more traffic in game threads than this season. I think it's mostlyl due to forums being kind of old now. Most people use social media. But I'm sure there'd be more people here if this team was any fun to watch.

I was going to mention that from 2015-2019 we had way more traffic than from 2019-2023. We had like enough people to fill up 3 redraft fantasy leagues. Now we struggle to find enough for 1.

Return to Phoenix Suns