ImageImageImage

NBA Draft 2024

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,491

Re: GOKs' draft discussion thread..........Coming soon to a board near you!! 

Post#41 » by bwgood77 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:17 pm

I already had a thread for the draft...even with GoK's name on it...but I guess you can make another one unless you want it merged.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#42 » by bwgood77 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:22 pm

Stix wrote:Kylan Boswell! :pray:

Pelle Larsson is actually the highest ranked Wildcat, followed closely by Boswell and then Love, all in second round. One may slip out of the draft and perhaps we could sign as an undrafted free agent.

Larrson has a lot more size and averages almost as many assists.

Unfortunately we don't have a 2nd round pick.

https://www.tankathon.com/big_board

https://www.tankathon.com/full_draft
Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#43 » by Fifii » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:20 pm

This draft will be weak so if we have pick between 20-25 if I was Jones I will make trade. Draft player and immediately send draft rights to other team for pick from next draft. He will be better than this.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#44 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:22 pm

A lot of bigs in this draft but none that have the profile I think would fit for us. I think there's a better chance we move the pick for more picks than actually draft a player
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,508

Post#45 » by Stix » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:15 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Pelle Larsson is actually the highest ranked Wildcat, followed closely by Boswell and then Love, all in second round. One may slip out of the draft and perhaps we could sign as an undrafted free agent.

Right and Boswell is not even 19. I love his game. Larsson is a little old imo (22), great player though.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,501

Post#46 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I already had a thread for the draft...even with GoK's name on it...but I guess you can make another one unless you want it merged.

Yeah! It should probaly get merged so there isn't too many redundent threads (if any aside from the draft) :lol:
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,145

Post#47 » by RaisingArizona » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:38 pm

I wasn't ready for this
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#48 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:08 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Boswell is an intriguing target and is on one of my smaller point guard potential steal undrafted list I'll post soon! He possesses a lot of similar attributes both in skillset/ personality/ pklaystyle (at least I think) to a young Fred van Vleet! Ironically, one of the (undrafted range) names I don't see mentioned that I'd be intriuged in as a 3 & D wing (3/4) is Keshad Johnson. I think he'd parallel quite similarly in to Crowder in that type of role. But all things considered, this draft, athough very shallow on high end star/ superstar level talent is flush with quality guards, power forwards and centers that WOULD fit our needs quit well. Even into the undrafted ranges.

I know that I pretty much say this each year, but especially this year and reflecting upon our situation and general lack of cap fklexibility and really almost no viable trade assets (of percieved value) to flip, We need to try and load up on a few intruiging cost controlled options that we can distinguish as long term supplemental pieces to our core (post Durant), OR even as developmental contractually controlled assets we can develop in our new G league affiliate to be inclusionary value sweeteners in trade deals. Regardless of intent though, now is the time to acquire potential assets to replenish our empty cupboards and to offset our coming further restrictive penalties. :nod:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#49 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:30 am

RaisingArizona wrote:I wasn't ready for this

No worries man! We're going to take this discussion slow and steady moving at an easy pace over the coming three months just to fill some gaps and also so as to not have me overload the offsason thread with too much draft discussion around what we might do and what our best remaining limited options left are heading into the 2nd apron penalties. :D

** Also there are a number of really intruiging STILL VIABLE possibilities we might consider that could contribute impact/value either as a long term supplemental core piece or as potential developmental trade assets with scalable value if properly identified and acquired this summer. Overall, I'll keep my prospect lists short and not overtly detailed (unless specifically asked about a particular prospect of interest I can add detail on) and just let people look into these considerations at their leisure and to the extent of their interest. I know that I still kind of suck at keeping things concise! But I will diligently work on it until it becomes my standard. :wink:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#50 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:52 am

lilfishi22 wrote:A lot of bigs in this draft but none that have the profile I think would fit for us. I think there's a better chance we move the pick for more picks than actually draft a player

While I'm not completely averse to moving our pick in the right situation, I'd really prefer we find a way to trade back in this draft, maybe pick up an additional draft pick and try to fill some holes for depth and talent (with percieved upside value) to somewhat replenish our empty cupboards AND possibly add COST CONTROLLED rookie scale talent/ assets that can now be developed on our new G League affiliate this summer. Or maybe we could even trade further back into the late 40s to 50s and pick up a 2025 late 1st or a couple 2nds in a deeper draft? Overall, I'm not overtly worried because our front office has shown the willingness to get creative and we now have an owner committed to actually spending. So we're headed in the right direction at least somewhat I think.

Now as for there not really being any bigs that have a profile that'd fit for us, I think it really depends upon what you consider our profile/needs to be. AND in fairness, even our profile should be considered adaptive to try and fit our evolving roster. For my part, I actually believe their are quite a few big man options that do currently or could become a great projectable fit for our profile and or needs. I'm not too sure how familiar you are with these particular big man prospects in this draft, So I'll ask you what you see our profile specifically being?? And determine which if any (and I do believe there are various ranges here) would fit the criteria to be considered for us? :D
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#51 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:25 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:A lot of bigs in this draft but none that have the profile I think would fit for us. I think there's a better chance we move the pick for more picks than actually draft a player

While I'm not completely averse to moving our pick in the right situation, I'd really prefer we find a way to trade back in this draft, maybe pick up an additional draft pick and try to fill some holes for depth and talent (with percieved upside value) to somewhat replenish our empty cupboards AND possibly add COST CONTROLLED rookie scale talent/ assets that can now be developed on our new G League affiliate this summer. Or maybe we could even trade further back into the late 40s to 50s and pick up a 2025 late 1st or a couple 2nds in a deeper draft? Overall, I'm not overtly worried because our front office has shown the willingness to get creative and we now have an owner committed to actually spending. So we're headed in the right direction at least somewhat I think.

Now as for there not really being any bigs that have a profile that'd fit for us, I think it really depends upon what you consider our profile/needs to be. AND in fairness, even our profile should be considered adaptive to try and fit our evolving roster. For my part, I actually believe their are quite a few big man options that do currently or could become a great projectable fit for our profile and or needs. I'm not too sure how familiar you are with these particular big man prospects in this draft, So I'll ask you what you see our profile specifically being?? And determine which if any (and I do believe there are various ranges here) would fit the criteria to be considered for us? :D

Wouldn't be opposed to trading down for an extra asset.

I think I'm kinda out on PG's in that first round because they take a while to develop and on a team where the Big 3 will account for a huge chunk of usage, I don't really think it would be a good use of a pick. Unless of course a high potential guy like Dillingham or Collier drops. If we traded down to the 2nd, then Kolek could be a good option. He's a senior so he's more ready to go than the two guys I mentioned earlier, he's got a solid A:T ratio, he shoots the 3 ball well and he's not a short king. Not the most athletic guy but not the end of the world.

I went through a bunch of the bigs and I don't like the stiffs like Clingan and that 7-4 guy. Missi looks quite raw and I think we want someone to have an almost immediate impact, even if it's a small impact. Ware seems to have some effort/focus/intensity issues which is a big red flag for me considering the experience with DA but he does have a decent combination of skills and athleticism. Two guys I would consider is Ighodaro and Daron Holmes although Holmes I'd rather try and get him with a 2nd.

Ideally, I'm looking for a guy who can hit the ground running, doesn't need to be babied, doesn't need to get mature mentally and has NBA ready skills. I don't care much about age or outright potential, it's more important that they can learn, want to learn and plays the right way.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,006

Post#52 » by garrick » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:46 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
garrick wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
That's a distinct possibility too! There are a few different paths we might look at even with only having very limited assets left, and also having almost no cap flexibility whatsoever over the coming 4-5 years.

IF we could do something like that and package those future assets together with Little's contract and a filler, then maybe we could land another vet depth piece on a multiyear deal to help sustain our core better?

Do note the rule about our draft pick going to the very back end of the 1st round draft if we are in the 2nd apron for two consecutive seasons, won't apply to us this year but perhaps the 2026 pick?

We also can't trade any of our picks until like 2030 but if not mistaken we can do a draft day trade of draft rights and get around the Stepien rule.

Thanks man! :thumbsup: Excellent points you mentioned for sure. I believe that the team tax totals are tallied at the end of the season, BUT the final accountings/ attached penalty tiers are assessed in July right after free agency ( I believe)?? So if at all correct, this will be our last draft in a number of seasons in which we can actually land a pick higher than the very last pick ( in terms of value) that we could use to legitimately trade back for additional assets.

And normally I'd say just make the pick and take the pick ( best talent available) for that range we land at. And of course that is an option that we might consider too. But because this draft is rather shallow on superstar or even high end star level talent even extending into the ranges of the lottery, We might consider a quantity over quality options strategically to fill more gaps with contributors or tradable future assets?

So with that beingsaid, I'd be more inclined to trade back ( in this draft) even in our situation to try and pick up an additional pick or asset if possible that we'd have multi year control over. And to also try and get more swings on cost controlled talent/ depth that are on rookie scale deals and can grow with our core over the coming years whether as long term pieces or as future developmental trade assets with ascending values for us.

If we trade for a future pick would that pick fall under the 2nd apron rules where we select dead last in the 1st round?

As for finding a superstar in the draft I think we can pretty much rule that our barring a miracle but with our signing restrictions regarding free agency just getting a serviceable player in the draft should probably be our goal.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#53 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:25 am

A couple of names I just want to briefly mention to you guys so you can look into them at your leisure from my earlier lists. I fully expect these relatively unknown/ under the radar prospets to become surprising impact options CURRENTLY IN THE UNDRAFTED or very late 2nd range of this draft but are being severely underrated or overlooked. Some of these names should be potential steal targets for us at the lowest possible cost, seeing as that's all that we can currently afford anyways...lol! Again, no big deal, but at your leisure................................................

1- Yaxel Lendeborg (UAB)
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/yaxel-lendeborg-1.html (check out his per 40 numbers)!!
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/tag/yaxel-lendeborg

2- Jonathan Mogbo (San Francisco) **Mogbo has a 4.2 steal% and a 5.0 block%, 3.6 offensive rebounds, finishing around 71% at the rim to counter his lack of shooting, and has a 22% assist percentage to boot. also puts up nearly 4 stocks defensively. That being said, his shooting is non existent and he'll need development but is an absolutely ELITE defender and impressive playmakr and rebounder too.
https://www.on3.com/news/college-basketball-eight-mid-major-prospects-entering-the-nba-draft-conversation/
F Jonathan Mogbo, San Francisco

The Buzz: Jonathan Mogbo is a production monster, every time he steps on the floor. Listed at 6-foot-8, and 225 pounds, Mogbo is averaging 15.0 points, 10.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 1.7 steals, and 1.0 blocks through 21 games this season. While Mogbo does not take any threes, his quick processing ability at multiple levels on the floor could make him playable in the half-court. There is a switchability factor on defense that is interesting as well. The advanced numbers on Mogbo also pop, 33.9 PER, 32.3 win shares per 40, 12.6 box plus-minus, etc. Even at 22 years old, there is a Brandon Clarke, Kenneth Faried factor with some playmaking that will be intriguing to see how it plays out.

https://wccsports.com/news/2023/12/17/mens-basketball-mogbo-doing-more-than-expected.aspx
Gerlufsen has found a lot he likes about Mogbo. “He’s one of the more athletic players that you’ll see in the WCC. He plays above the rim,” said Gerlufsen, most pleased by the newcomer’s unexpected ability to create for others. “He can really facilitate for a big guy.” Mogbo had 10 points, 12 rebounds, six assists and three steals a win over New Orleans on Monday. A week earlier, he paired 14 rebounds with a career-high 10 assists as the Dons beat Vanderbilt on the road.

3- Quinton Post (Boston) Think of a slightly bigger highly skilled better floor spacing version of Landale. He's not going to dazzle you, or tear down any rims with elite athleticism, But he's just very solid fundamentally with great shooting mechanics and fundamentals.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/quinten-post-1.html
https://bceagles.com/news/2023/11/20/mens-basketball-quinten-post-named-acc-player-of-the-week.aspx

4- Ta'lon Cooper ( South Carolina) At 6'4, he's actually got quite a few similarities (offensively to CJ McCollum. He's a gritty big shot maker/clutch player that excels in pressure situations and has become a much better almost underrated playmaker with crisp passing and crafty ballhandling, tenacious defense.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/talon-cooper-1.html
https://www.si.com/college/southcarolina/basketball/talon-cooper-becoming-top-playmaker-in-sec-play-for-south-carolinas-mens-basketball-team

5- Michael Ayayi ( Pepperdine) At 6'7 for a guard, it's not at all surprising that he's a very good rebounder. Overcame of bunch of adversity heading into his freshman year at 5'7. But got a massive growth spurt heading into his senior season reaching 6'5. Is more of a scoring wing/forward with scondary playmaking skills. He's a versatile stat stuffing connective scoring wing.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/michael-ajayi-1.html
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/michael-ajayi-basketball-is-a-marathon
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-pepperdines-michael-ajayi#:~:text=He%20isn't%20a%20primary,frame%20and%20has%20faced%20adversity.

I've got a bunch more names to share over the coming months. Feel free to let me know if you guys are at all curious about any specific type of talent/archetype. I'll begin submitting my shorter..............
prospect lists at some point later this week! :D
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:27 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Boswell is an intriguing target and is on one of my smaller point guard potential steal undrafted list I'll post soon! He possesses a lot of similar attributes both in skillset/ personality/ pklaystyle (at least I think) to a young Fred van Vleet! Ironically, one of the (undrafted range) names I don't see mentioned that I'd be intriuged in as a 3 & D wing (3/4) is Keshad Johnson. I think he'd parallel quite similarly in to Crowder in that type of role. But all things considered, this draft, athough very shallow on high end star/ superstar level talent is flush with quality guards, power forwards and centers that WOULD fit our needs quit well. Even into the undrafted ranges.

I know that I pretty much say this each year, but especially this year and reflecting upon our situation and general lack of cap fklexibility and really almost no viable trade assets (of percieved value) to flip, We need to try and load up on a few intruiging cost controlled options that we can distinguish as long term supplemental pieces to our core (post Durant), OR even as developmental contractually controlled assets we can develop in our new G league affiliate to be inclusionary value sweeteners in trade deals. Regardless of intent though, now is the time to acquire potential assets to replenish our empty cupboards and to offset our coming further restrictive penalties. :nod:

Keshad Johnson will probably go undrafted. It will be interesting to see which AZ players go in the 2nd and which go undrafted. And then how good they are next year.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#55 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:26 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Wouldn't be opposed to trading down for an extra asset.

I think I'm kinda out on PG's in that first round because they take a while to develop and on a team where the Big 3 will account for a huge chunk of usage, I don't really think it would be a good use of a pick. Unless of course a high potential guy like Dillingham or Collier drops. If we traded down to the 2nd, then Kolek could be a good option. He's a senior so he's more ready to go than the two guys I mentioned earlier, he's got a solid A:T ratio, he shoots the 3 ball well and he's not a short king. Not the most athletic guy but not the end of the world.

I went through a bunch of the bigs and I don't like the stiffs like Clingan and that 7-4 guy. Missi looks quite raw and I think we want someone to have an almost immediate impact, even if it's a small impact. Ware seems to have some effort/focus/intensity issues which is a big red flag for me considering the experience with DA but he does have a decent combination of skills and athleticism. Two guys I would consider is Ighodaro and Daron Holmes although Holmes I'd rather try and get him with a 2nd.

Ideally, I'm looking for a guy who can hit the ground running, doesn't need to be babied, doesn't need to get mature mentally and has NBA ready skills. I don't care much about age or outright potential, it's more important that they can learn, want to learn and plays the right way.

Yeah! I Like Dillingham big time, He'd be my top choice if he somehow fell to us, I'd stay and take him in an instant. Kolek as mentioned by sunsbg is another solid functional playmaking option almost identical to McConnell in every way, only taller obviously. Another very solid not exciting option for me would be Ajay Mitchell, He has many similarities to Tyus Jones as a very reliable functionally sound guard/playmaker.
https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=ajay-mitchell--tyus-jones

As for the bigs, I can understand that perspective on not necessarily wanting a big, stiff, non mobile option with poor lateral movement/recovery. I also understand trying to target a big that's versatile and could offer immediate contribution/ impact and maybe already possess a versatile skillset. for those criteria, My top 5 two way options would be:
( There's numerous ELITE ATHLETIC, MOBILE,LONG defensive centers I'd take easily too!)

1- Ulriche Comche (IF he hopefully doesn't shoot up the boards in the next three months)!
https://www.tankathon.com/players/ulrich-chomche
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-cameroons-ulrich-chomche
To me, he compares quite favorably to a young Serge Ibaka, which would be a steal for us considering he could play either the 4 or the 5.

2- Quinton Post Boston- Undrafted value pick)!!
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/quinten-post-1.html

3- Zonimir Ivisic (Should still be available in the late 30s to mid 40s possibly)!
https://www.tankathon.com/players/zvonimir-ivisic
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-croatias-zvonimir-ivisic
https://nbadraftroom.com/zvonimir-ivisic/#:~:text=Draft%20Notes,isn't%20very%20explosive%20vertically.

Playing for Fiba, He should be experienced and adaptive enough to provide impact early on. Although he will absolutely need to add about 20-25 more pounds and reach a target weight of 240-245 lbs to be more high impact.

4- Johni Broome (undrafted value pick)!!
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/johni-broome-1.html
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/the-rescoutables-jalen-bridges-johni
https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/johni-broome-scouting-report/

5- Hunter Dickinson (Mid to Late 2nd value pick)!!
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-kansas-hunter-dickinson
https://nbadraftroom.com/p/hunter-dickenson/

Basically he's a slightly bigger, quicker version of Nurkic, but with the same shooting struggles. Another accurate comp[arison would be Ivaca Zubac.

All of these options are ready and could contribute from the jump. BUT the first 4 listed are very versatile and could play either position at the 4 or the 5 as needed!! And honestl;y, Comanche is better than all of our mentions in most all categories we're looking for! And should be our top trade back target. And beyond that, I haven't even mentioned the very underrated 4s from my lists that have high end trajectories and could offer significant impact even as late 2nd to undrafted options. Lastly, As long as offense (two way skillset) isn't of paramount importance right away, There are numerous absolutely elit defensive long, mobile, super athletic, physical rim protectors/ rebounders that could lockdown the paint for us easily!! Names such as Aziz Bandaogo, Cliff Omoruyi, Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso, Aaron Bradshaw, Felix Okpala, and Baye Fall. Also the heavier and more physically dominant version of Ayton in Nfaly Dante that has all of the same athleticism, dominant potential and switchable fluidity and length, defensive potential. And has a better overall motor and embraces physicality, BUT isn't as offensively skilled or smooth as Ayton. He's more of a hyper athletic, physically dominant throwback paint/rim protecting 5 option.

As for passing bigs like Ighodaro, You could just as easily get a Coleman Hawkins or a Robbie Avila ( Indiana State) who's basically a younger, more energetic version of Saric and who pretty much almost no one knows about from the undrafted pool without expending a pick that can then be used on another potential prospect of need/ interest. And I too love Dayron Holmes as a 4/5 option for us, But even IF he's not there when we pick, we could just as easily get a pretty much identical prospect in Broome again from the undrafted pool and still have our pick to use on another option of interest. :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#56 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:38 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Keshad Johnson will probably go undrafted. It will be interesting to see which AZ players go in the 2nd and which go undrafted. And then how good they are next year.

I'm counting on it :wink: IF we don't first prioritize Tefale Leonard (Texas legends) also likely an undrafted value option. I'd also be very open to taking a swing on Baba Miller for his similarities to pre-injury jonathan Isaac??? :dontknow: But yes! Arizona has some very intruiging prospects to consider.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#57 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:48 am

garrick wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
garrick wrote:
Do note the rule about our draft pick going to the very back end of the 1st round draft if we are in the 2nd apron for two consecutive seasons, won't apply to us this year but perhaps the 2026 pick?

We also can't trade any of our picks until like 2030 but if not mistaken we can do a draft day trade of draft rights and get around the Stepien rule.

Thanks man! :thumbsup: Excellent points you mentioned for sure. I believe that the team tax totals are tallied at the end of the season, BUT the final accountings/ attached penalty tiers are assessed in July right after free agency ( I believe)?? So if at all correct, this will be our last draft in a number of seasons in which we can actually land a pick higher than the very last pick ( in terms of value) that we could use to legitimately trade back for additional assets.

And normally I'd say just make the pick and take the pick ( best talent available) for that range we land at. And of course that is an option that we might consider too. But because this draft is rather shallow on superstar or even high end star level talent even extending into the ranges of the lottery, We might consider a quantity over quality options strategically to fill more gaps with contributors or tradable future assets?

So with that beingsaid, I'd be more inclined to trade back ( in this draft) even in our situation to try and pick up an additional pick or asset if possible that we'd have multi year control over. And to also try and get more swings on cost controlled talent/ depth that are on rookie scale deals and can grow with our core over the coming years whether as long term pieces or as future developmental trade assets with ascending values for us.

If we trade for a future pick would that pick fall under the 2nd apron rules where we select dead last in the 1st round?

As for finding a superstar in the draft I think we can pretty much rule that our barring a miracle but with our signing restrictions regarding free agency just getting a serviceable player in the draft should probably be our goal.

Agree on BOTH points! That's why I'm more interested in using our pick to trade back into the later ranges (just not too much later of course) of the same draft to try and acquire an additional pick for extra swings on prospects that could help fill our needs, etc. I also don't see a legitimately attainable prospect with superstar potential in our range, much less even in the lottery ( or even a legit star aside frrom Sarr, Collier and Dillingham). However, there are numerous impact starter and rotation level contributory options throughout all ranges of the draft that will be attainable for us if we're assertive and moderately creative too. :wink:
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,820

Post#58 » by RedIndian » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:49 am

Crives wrote:I bet we trade the 2024 1st for a future 1st and multiple 2nds…. Giving us a two tradeable 1sts in the future + multiple 2nds.

Possible, but at some point we have to actually start drafting players and hope they can become part of the core. We can't aggregate salaries, so not sure what Little's 6.75 million salary + picks is going to get us.

Can't extend a championship window unless you develop young talent on the side. KD and Beal will get older - they won't keep contending if you surround them with older vets like Nurk, Royce or Thad. They'll need youth and athleticism next to them if they have any chance of extending their contention window.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,820

Re: College Basketball, the 2024 NBA Draft and the return of the Ghost of Kleine 

Post#59 » by RedIndian » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:27 am

Fwiw, this draft doesn't have high end talent, but in terms of mid and lower tiers of the draft, I don't think this is worse than any other draft. Should be able to find rotation players at the range we'll be picking in (likely between #18 to #22).

The prospects I like:

Bigs:

1. Zach Edey - being slept on because of concerns about his mobility, but people tend to ignore his durability and absurd production across 4 years in college. He's going to be an NBA rotation player. Worst case, I see him like a 7'4 Nurkic, which is a very very useful player.

2. Yves Missi - Clint Capela type with excellent athleticism and mobility. Offensively limited, but the success of the likes of Walker Kessler, Mark Williams, Jalen Duren shows that this archetype does tend to make an immediate impact in the NBA. Would be a very solid backup C by year 2 I would think.

3. PJ Hall - James Jones would love him. Daniel Theis archetype. 6'10, 240. Very tough and sets great screen. Very good three point shooter on the pick and pop, reasonable playmaker in the short roll and decent vertical pop as a drop defender. Not big enough or athletic enough to project as a full-time starter, but should be a solid backup big in the NBA.

You also have Clingan and Filipowski who've both been productive, but both have injury histories which I'd be wary of. Ulrich Chomche is very intriguing, but difficult to scout him given where he's playing. Classic boom-bust type.

Big Wings:

1. Tyler Smith - really like him as a fit for us. A bit like a lefty Jabari Smith. Jabari Smith is a much better defensive prospect, but I really like Tyler Smith's shooting mechanics. At 6'10, his jumper is really pure with a high release point, and he's shown good activity on the glass and as a weakside shot blocker. Think he'll be a very productive player in the NBA. Defense might take a while, but should be able to guard 4s and 5s eventually.

2. Ryan Dunn - absolute monster on the defensive end. Elite athlete at 6'8 with a 7'0 wingpsan. Terrific open court athleticism, great second jump, and has monstrous block and steal numbers. Easily the best defensive prospect in the class and I can't see a world where we won't be an NBA calibre defender. Unfortunately, he's very limited offensively, with terrible numbers from both the 3 and the FT line. But the defensive allure is really high - if he hits, he's going to be an all-defense type player.

3. Johnny Furphy - Trey Murphy III archetype. Long and rangy, excellent movement shooter and very active defender. Would love to get him, but I think he might go before our draft position.

Other prospects in our range would be Salaun (who I'm skeptical of), Klintman (not a good defender), Dillon Jones (productive but very unathletic), Ighodaro (not a shooter), Almansa (more a big - very skilled fundamentally, but a poor shooter)
The better prospects like Risacher, Buzelis and Holland should all go in the lottery.

Small Wings:

1. Dalton Knecht - classic James Jones pick. Maybe the best shooter in the class, and underrated vertical athlete. Not a great defender by any means though.

2. KyShawn George - Very interesting prospect who's basically a 6'8 guard. Good connective playmaker and good shooting numbers of 3. Quite lightweight though, so I think he'd struggle defensively. But the appeal of a wing who can shoot and pass is high. Might take some time to be impactful in the NBA though.

3. Kevin McCullar - 4 year college guy who'll be 23 by draft night. 6'6, 215 - so he has an NBA ready body. Intelligent player who defends well and is a solid passer and secondary ball hander. I don't buy his shooting though - I think he might struggle with NBA range. Jones would like his readiness to contribute physically, but I'd worry he's a Troy Brown Jr type who doesn't excel at anything in the NBA.

4. Melvin Ajinca - French prospect - cousin of Alexis Ajinca. 6'8 with a 6'11 wingspan. NBA ready body who's super strong and athletic. The tape I've seen of him - he's a very good on-ball defender, and I like his shooting form as well (lefty shooter). Ideal 3nD archetype, but his raw numbers on blocks, steals and even 3P% aren't too impressive.

5. Pacome Dadiet - another French prospect, who's similar in style to Kyshawn George. Intriguing shooting and passing upside, but very young and very raw. Will be a project.

Guards:

1. DJ Wagner - Wagner has been overshadowed by Dillingham and Reed Sheppard at Kentucky, and rightfully so; but he was considered a better prospect coming out of high school. I think there's a chance he might shine in the NBA, with better spacing. Guy has a very good first step, very good size at 6'3, is very shifty and is competitive defensively. The jumper is the main concern, although the form isn't too bad looking.

2. Carlton Carrington - Intriguing size, ball handling, passing talent and open floor speed, but completely questionable shot. Can't see Jones going for him - too raw a prospect

3. Devin Carter - Absolute dog defensively with solid size at 6'3. Exceptional rebounder for his size, and has been shooting 40% from the 3 this year on very good volume. Was initially projected as 2nd rounder, but if he sustains this production, I think someone is taking a shot on him in the 1st round. Can see him contributing immediately as a De'Anthony Melton type of player.

4. Isaiah Collier - Collier was one of the more highly touted prospects in this class, but his stock has dropped with injuries and poor shooting. Still an absolute unit though at 6'4, 200 and an extremely difficult guy to keep out of the paint. He should be a Talen Horton Tucker type definitely, but his playability will entirely depend on whether he can improve his shot

I expect the likes of Topic, Dillingham, Sheppard and Castle to go in the lottery, so haven't discussed them. I would not draft Kolek or Boswell
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Re: College Basketball, the 2024 NBA Draft and the return of the Ghost of Kleine 

Post#60 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:33 am

Is Edey more or less mobile than Zubac?

Return to Phoenix Suns