ImageImageImage

41 games down - your midseason grades for the team

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

41 games down - your midseason grades for the team 

Post#1 » by sashaturiaf » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:33 pm

Half a season has flown by and we're finally starting to show glimpses of being what we hoped we'd be. Here's my grades for the players taking into consideration expectations going into the season.

KD B+
Book B
Beal C-
Nurk B+
Allen A
Gordon C+
Okogie D+
Goodwin D
Metu D
Little D+
Bol Bol, Azu, Lee incomplete, not enough minutes played.

Everyone else is a F

Coach Vogel C+
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,775

Re: 41 games down - your midseason grades for the team 

Post#2 » by Qwigglez » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:17 am

Good thread. I’ll post mine in a bit…
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#3 » by NapoleonII » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:52 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:Half a season has flown by and we're finally starting to show glimpses of being what we hoped we'd be. Here's my grades for the players taking into consideration expectations going into the season.

KD B+
Book B
Beal C-
Nurk B+
Allen A
Gordon C+
Okogie D+
Goodwin D
Metu D
Little D+

Everyone else is a F

Coach Vogel C+

Vogel C
KD A-
Book B-
Allen A+
Beal - C
Nurk B+
Gordon B
Okogie D
Little C-

Everyone else not enough of a grade or an F, with the exception of Bol Bol who I give a solid B plus on a per minute basis.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,538

Post#4 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:09 pm

NapoleonII wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:Half a season has flown by and we're finally starting to show glimpses of being what we hoped we'd be. Here's my grades for the players taking into consideration expectations going into the season.

KD B+
Book B
Beal C-
Nurk B+
Allen A
Gordon C+
Okogie D+
Goodwin D
Metu D
Little D+

Everyone else is a F

Coach Vogel C+

Vogel C
KD A-
Book B-
Allen A+
Beal - C
Nurk B+
Gordon B
Okogie D
Little C-

Everyone else not enough of a grade or an F, with the exception of Bol Bol who I give a solid B plus on a per minute basis.

What grade was Booker on your scale before the other night 52 points in 3 quarters?
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#5 » by NapoleonII » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:

KD B+
Book B
Beal C-
Nurk B+
Allen A
Gordon C+
Okogie D+
Goodwin D
Metu D
Little D+

Everyone else is a F

Coach Vogel C+

Vogel C
KD A-
Book B-
Allen A+
Beal - C
Nurk B+
Gordon B
Okogie D
Little C-

What grade was Booker on your scale before the other night 52 points in 3 quarters?

Probably a C plus.

I really grade Booker on wins primarily…turnovers and assists and defense. We all know the scoring is there, the game closing.

He needed to take a playmaking leap, and he has this year, but his steals are down not insignificantly. And he’s only recently began pushing the pace - in lots of our losses, it’s him ball pounding and waiting to see what Big Brother KD wants to do

In my scoring system, well, it’s a lot harder for Booker to get an A than for a guy like Little or Nurk.

If he stays healthy, pushes the pace more, keeps his turnovers steady with 7-8 assists a game, he’ll finish with an A-

A plus for Book? Clear cut best SG in the league and top 5 player. Maybe next year…
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#6 » by sunskerr » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:47 pm

Haven't been able to watch as much because we honestly have kinda been **** to watch but also just life things.

Hopefully today I'll feel well enough to share mine (seriously wtf is going around...super strep throat? I've been in bed for almost a week and I'm COVID negative...stay safe) although they won't really be as relevant as everyone else's because like I said I haven't watched as much.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,538

Post#7 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:12 pm

sunskerr wrote:Haven't been able to watch as much because we honestly have kinda been **** to watch but also just life things.

Hopefully today I'll feel well enough to share mine (seriously wtf is going around...super strep throat? I've been in bed for almost a week and I'm COVID negative...stay safe) although they won't really be as relevant as everyone else's because like I said I haven't watched as much.

My mom and I have been sick for over a week too. Some kinda bug been going around since mid Dec it seems & many are getting sick. Stay safe and hope you feel better soon SKerr.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#8 » by kennydorglas » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:05 pm

KD B+
Book B
Beal C+
Ted Cruz Jr A
Nurk B+
Frank Vogel F
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#9 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:34 pm

Overall a C-. I expected a slow start since nobody had really played together before and then injuries didn't help that at all. So all things considered I can't say it was a failure because they are right in the hunt. But I haven't been impressed with Vogel and it's troubling they haven't really figured out their top 8 yet.

Now I am optimistic about them and it wouldn't surprise me if they play much better the second half.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,656

Post#10 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:21 am

KD: A-
Book: B
Nurk: B+
Beal: B-
Allen: A+
Gordon: C
Okogie: C-
Goodwin: C
Metu: D
Little: D
Eubanks: D
Yuta: D
KBD: D
Coach Vogel: C

Team Average: C

First half hasn't been what I had envisioned. I knew there would be some growing pains, some injuries and continuity/familiarity is what will be the biggest challenge for the team but I think overall, it has been underwhelming to say the least. More injuries than I expected, more growing pains than I thought and that continuity/familiarity challenge was far tougher than I envisioned.

That said, there's real positives imo. While some could point to the soft schedule, our record and the very tough SOS in the second half of the season as a cause of real concern, I look at it differently. We certainly played through a fairly soft schedule but that allowed us to keep a decent record in spite of all the issues we've had and I do feel like we're starting to click. So while the last half is going to be brutal (no easy way to say it), we are going to be better equipped, better prepared and going in with better chemistry than what we had going into the start of the season.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,851

Post#11 » by SkyBill40 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:53 am

As a team and not positionally, I'd go C+ (and that's being generous). As far as coaching, a strong D. Vogel and Young just aren't what this team needs; further, Vogel's not shown any of what got him the job in the first place.

Sent from my [Samsung Z4 Fold] using RealGM mobile app
Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#12 » by Fifii » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:00 pm

KD A
He plays basketball on MVP level. He make shoots even if he is double team. Amazing
Book B+
He could play better, but if he is available he is good supporting KD.
Beal C+
Last matches he had good , but he had slow start. Definitely we need him and he must start playing like All - Star.
Nurk B-
He is very unpredictable. Good matches mixed with very bad. He can’t defend against true centers.
Allen B +
I’ can’t imagine better rolers in this league. He very good fitting with our BIG Three. I will give him A , but his role is smaller than KD.
Gordon D
He is awful. Bad D , Bad O. We should trade him possible as this is can.
Okogie D+
He played very good first two matches and disappear. He has good D but in O he is terrible and this is why I give him better grade than Gordon.
Goodwin
He is player in deep rotations so he need plays more if I may judge him.
Metu C+
He had good games if he gives more minutes. He can shoot threes , in rebounds he didn’t look terrible.
Little
On the paper we are contenders so we can’t develop player like him. I would rather trade him because he has value and in our team he is beyond rotations if all our players are available.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#13 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:32 pm

Fifii wrote:KD A
He plays basketball on MVP level. He make shoots even if he is double team. Amazing
Book B+
Beal C+
Last matches he had good , but he had slow start. Definitely we need him and he must start playing like All - Star.
Nurk B-
He is very unpredictable. Good matches mixed with very bad. He can’t defend against true centers.
Allen B +
I’ can’t imagine better rolers in this league. He very good fitting with our BIG Three. I will give him A , but his role is smaller than KD.
Gordon D
Okogie D+
He played very good first two matches and disappear. He has good D but in O he is terrible and this is why I give him better grade than Gordon.
Goodwin
Metu C+
He had good games if he gives more minutes. He can shoot threes , in rebounds he didn’t look terrible.
Little
On the paper we are contenders so we can’t develop player like him. I would rather trade him because he has value and in our team he is beyond rotations if all our players are available.

Great analysis and straight to the point but dude, did you just start watching KD this year? That's just what he does
Fifii
Sophomore

Post#14 » by Fifii » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:00 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:
Fifii wrote:KD A
Book B+
Beal C+
Nurk B-
Allen B +
Gordon D
Okogie D+
Goodwin
Metu C+
Little

dude, did you just start watching KD this year? That's just what he does

Yeah I know he is one of the best player in this league but some people after PO write that he is post prime , he isn’t MVP level player etc
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,787

Post#15 » by darealjuice » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:38 pm

C- for the team overall. Below expectations even considering the time to gel, but I'm hopeful that we're putting the pieces together. I don't see us a contender right now though.

KD (B+) has been great, but the live ball turnovers have been frustrating. Booker (B-) has been good in a vacuum, but below his expectations. Beal (C/Incomplete) has been injured and is still feeling things out.

Nurkic (B-) tends to be inconsistent and struggles with athletic bigs, but he's been solid considering the expectations. Massive improvement on screen setting at least. Allen (A) has definitely exceeded expectations, he's been a great pick-up for us. EG (D) has a few high points, but more often than not he's a chucker than can't stay in front of his shadow.

Metu (C+) has been a nice surprise off the bench, I had no expectations for him. Bol Bol (C-) has looked awful at some points and rotation-worthy at others. Eubanks (D) has been much worse than expected.

Unfortunately none of Okogie (C), KBD (D+), Yuta (D+), and Little (C) have stepped up to be reliable role players this year. Career lows for KBD and Yuta, while Okogie and Little continue to be No-3 and D players. I appreciate the defense, athleticism, and effort from Okogie and Little though.

Vogel also gets a C for me. I appreciate that he's experimented a bit with lineups and rotations to find the right blend, and I don't think the roster is built to maximize his strengths as a coach. He needs to figure out whatever is going on with this team in the 4th quarter though.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:54 pm

Specific to Vogel, I think this is a really hard coaching job all things considered. So for me it's not that he's failing but more that I don't think he's risen to the challenge.

But ultimately he is here to win in the postseason so we'll see.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,502

Post#17 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:40 pm

Based on expectations of players:

KD-A - shooting his crazy good...the only thing keeping him from A+ was the early turnovers, but still a great season so far

Book - B+ - He has had some great games and some bad ones. His shooting was way down prior to the 52 pt game, but now it's up again, despite the shooting performance last night. I think he could be a little better leader. His ballhandling can be bad at times with turnovers, but he's generally improved there. His defense has taken a big step back.

Beal - B - His shooting started out poor while he was getting his stamina back, but it's really picked up since then and he's been great. A solid offensive guy with shooting, ball handling, etc. What has impressed me maybe the most is his defense, especially guarding bigger guys. I didn't expect good D at all.

Nurkic - B - He has been a nice surprise, but moreso early in the season. I didn't expect great D or very good finishing, so there is that. This rating may be a tad high, but he has been nice with assists, screens and a solid teammate.

Allen - A+ - no complaints here

Gordon - C- - pretty disappointing, not good defensively, but has had some nice shooting games, though also some poor ones. I expect a little better from him

Pretty much the rest of them have been disappointments...so really not better than a D, though Bol Bol has looked pretty good in some of his minutes.

The team as a whole is a C. Not as good as I expected, but the Big 3 are all playing great. As well as Allen and to a lesser extent, Nurkic, but as I feared, our bench and depth is awful, so it knocks down our overall grade significantly.

Hard to evaluate Vogel for me so far.
handsome salary
Rookie
And1: 1,124

Post#18 » by handsome salary » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:53 pm

KD - B
Booker - C+
Beal - B+
Nurk - B
Grayson - B+
KD and Booker fall in love a lot with ISO ball and hard midrange jumpers. KD is more successful. Neither appears on court to be a great team leader. For as little I've seen Beal with these guys he appears to be the one noticing more and more to try something different if things ain't working. Nurk is a total breath of fresh air at the center spot. Tough inside, smart passer, play maker, dribbler, screener. Grayson has been solid.

Vogel - F
Gordon - F
Bench - ?
Vogel and staff shuffles around the bench so much none of them know what role to play. Except Gordon who stinks it up 3/4 of the time but still gets the minutes. Most of the bench seem instructed to wait and watch for Booker or KD to decide what the play is and then be ready.

For all the injuries a B-. Now that the talent is all playing they can beat 3/4 of the teams they face just on that alone. Against the rest it still doesn't look good in their favor. They need some stellar coaching or getting a stud 6th man in a trade without losing a starter.
Fifii
Sophomore

Post#19 » by Fifii » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:59 pm

handsome salary wrote:getting a stud 6th man in a trade without losing a starter.

We don’t have many picks on this move. Yes we could use our TPE but this is so I wrote early
Fifii
Sophomore

Post#20 » by Fifii » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:57 am

We are post RS. In mid season we judge all of our players. I decide to do it again , but judge from first match to 82. Near grade I writing short my opinion about this player.

Bradley Beal - very thought start from him. In one moment he has (and correct) nickname Mr Street Clothes. In last matches he was awesome and took us to 6th seed. Finally grade B

Devin Booker - slow start and all hopes with winning MVP award by him ruining fast. He has some flashes moments and bad , but overall he is still in TOP guards in this league. Grade B +

Grayson Allen - I suppose he was awesome because he was in CY and the result is that he gets 70/4. He played unexceptional very well and he was the best shooter in this season. Grade A+

Kevin Durant - he was our the best player in this season. MVP level, I have no words to describe him greatness. Grade A +

Jusuf Nurkic - Mr Ramadan. He was very good in first half of season , but second he was terrible. Good rebounding and passing from him was very helpful for us. Grade B+

Eric Gordon - bad D , bad offense. I know he played for minimum , but I prefer somebody other to him. Grade D +

Josh Okogie - Vogel cut him of rotations and he was a right. He can’t shoot wide open three and he isn’t rookie who we should investing. Maybe he would be okey in mid core team , but he is to weak to contender team. Grade C-

Bol Bol - I like him. He has size and he can make open shoots. I don’t except a lot of him , but he could give good energy from the bench. Grade C+

Drew Eubanks - bet him over 1.5 moving screen in the match is easy. He is even worst than a Gordon and we lost one 2rd pick. Grade D

Thaddeus Young - when I saw him hustle against Denver I must say he earned some minutes in our rotations instead of Drew. He is good to jump, rebound and pass to nearly guard and that enough. Grade C+

Return to Phoenix Suns