Lakers/Warriors
31%
Lakers/Kings
19%

Total votes: 16

Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,211

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - The final stretch & battle for the 6 seed 

Post#1861 » by Frank Lee » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:16 pm

Can't wait. 2-3 years from now we will have a bunch of overbloated non-tradeable contracts

Come on Stix… there is Spilled Milk and there is Cow Tipping

Signing GAllen, an almost imperative keepsake, is a very positive maneuver from a front office seasoned with doubts. Toss in they avoided an auction to retain a contributing asset and this is a double bonus.

Furthermore, Allen will be our most trade-able asset, whenever he becomes eligible
What ? Me Worry ?
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,787

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - The final stretch & battle for the 6 seed 

Post#1862 » by darealjuice » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:20 pm

Very important to keep Grayson regardless of the cost considering our cap situation, but glad we got him at a fairly reasonable number.

We’ll need to get Royce locked down next. As we saw this year, it’s tough to build a contender with a bunch of minimum contracts.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,840

Post#1863 » by Saberestar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm

Read on Twitter
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,067

Post#1864 » by sunsbg » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 pm

Ishbia is not cheap and the team needs continuity. Gain chemistry in playoff battles this season, add a young player via draft and hope for health next season. Good things can still happen for this team despite the underwhelming season.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,198

Post#1865 » by Slim Charless » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:50 pm

Frank Lee wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:I don't think a coaching change would achieve much really. Unless the players have tuned the current coach out...

Otherwise, we're ****.

Draft Kolek, fire FrankyV…..

Wait for it…..

Hire Mike D’Ant

Ew.

I'm apparently the eternal optimist over here. I remain the only Beal fan and I'm still a Vogel backer.

Playoffs will decide all. I'll say this: if we go down early then we should all be rooting for a KD trade to reset this thing.....

That happens easier if the Thunder also go down early to the much larger and meaner Laker squad. I'm gonna put a bet on the Lake Show to beat OKC depending on the odds.

Giddey
Dort
Dieng
2 FRPs
6 SRPs

Sounds fantastic to me if we lose in the next 2 weeks.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,916

Post#1866 » by Fo-Real » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:55 pm

Frank Lee wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:I don't think a coaching change would achieve much really. Unless the players have tuned the current coach out...

Otherwise, we're ****.

Draft Kolek, fire FrankyV…..

Wait for it…..

Hire Mike D’Ant

Naa...... Fun facts, my brother ran into Mike and his wife in NY last week at his hotel. And I think his brother still is part of our score board table/stat crew during games.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,786

Post#1867 » by BobbieL » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:03 pm

Stix wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
Iceman36 wrote:Pretty much have no choice. They are super capped or level 2 or whatever its called. They can only bring back their own players - so a guy like Royce O'Neal might get a bit more from the Suns than the open market as they have to pay him.

Can't wait. 2-3 years from now we will have a bunch of overbloated non-tradeable contracts.

This is the reality of the roster. But if you have Booker, Beal and Durant locked in through 2026 at their $150m combined... and not having the ability to even use the MLE -- I wonder if the Suns even will have the TPMLE with the new CBA - I just do not know - so Allen and O"Neal were moves to make
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#1868 » by dremill24 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:13 pm

BobbieL wrote:
Stix wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Can't wait. 2-3 years from now we will have a bunch of overbloated non-tradeable contracts.

This is the reality of the roster. But if you have Booker, Beal and Durant locked in through 2026 at their $150m combined... and not having the ability to even use the MLE -- I wonder if the Suns even will have the TPMLE with the new CBA - I just do not know - so Allen and O"Neal were moves to make

Nope
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,502

Post#1869 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:15 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:The C's have a PRETTY damn cruisey path to the ECF. All the teams which could pose potential issues for them like the Bucks, Sixers and Heat are all on the other side of the bracket. Only x-factor (not really but worth a mention lol) on that side is the Hawks, who still need to make the 8th spot but were 2-2 against the C's this regular season.

I think our side of the bracket isn't too bad either. The teams I'm really worried about like the Thunder, Clippers and Mavs are all on the other side. We do have the defending champs and potentially Lakers on our side though.

One of the Sixers and Heat will be the 8th seed (or at least not on the other side of the bracket). Of course it will probably be Miami, who I really don't think would give them problems anyway, That's probably their most likely 1st round matchup actually unless Miami is able to beat Philly.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1870 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:21 pm

Nice for Allen to cash in too. He would have been lucky to get the MLE before this season. He had never shot over 41% before from 3. He also never shot nearly what he did from 2 this season. Playing with our big 3 is like a shooters dream.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1871 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:28 pm

dremill24 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Nope

But if you're over the cap, you might as well be way over the cap. It would suck to have a ton of money tied up in bad players, but we really don't. Some overpaid, sure. They all probably are. Nothing worse than an owner who will get barely over the cap and not spend any more, not that you really can unless you do things right. It's not our tax or money.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - the calm before the storm 

Post#1872 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:37 pm

I was reading a GB thread on the extension and someone mentioned this....I am unsure how the draft pick penalties work hope you don't lose 1st round picks. Of course for us, unless they were WAY out into the future it would counter the Stepien rule

Good deal for Allen but how are the Suns affording this team? Durant, Booker and Beal on max deals. Nurkic and Allen on fairly large deals. Rest are basically minimums but it's still very expensive.

And they want to re-sign O'Neale as well. Basically Matt Ishbia has said "screw it, we're going above the second apron". The question is if they'll hit the 3 in 5 years above the apron threshold and then they start getting nailed with draft pick penalties. Although they've basically traded away all of their picks, so I'm not sure how that'll work.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#1873 » by dremill24 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:43 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I was reading a GB thread on the extension and someone mentioned this....I am unsure how the draft pick penalties work hope you don't lose 1st round picks. Of course for us, unless they were WAY out into the future it would counter the Stepien rule

Good deal for Allen but how are the Suns affording this team? Durant, Booker and Beal on max deals. Nurkic and Allen on fairly large deals. Rest are basically minimums but it's still very expensive.

And they want to re-sign O'Neale as well. Basically Matt Ishbia has said "screw it, we're going above the second apron". The question is if they'll hit the 3 in 5 years above the apron threshold and then they start getting nailed with draft pick penalties. Although they've basically traded away all of their picks, so I'm not sure how that'll work.

I havent dug into all the logistics in how its all applied but you're not losing picks in any scenario. Just the inability to trade them/them moving automatically to the end of the 1st round.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1874 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:49 pm

dremill24 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I was reading a GB thread on the extension and someone mentioned this....I am unsure how the draft pick penalties work hope you don't lose 1st round picks. Of course for us, unless they were WAY out into the future it would counter the Stepien rule

I havent dug into all the logistics in how its all applied but you're not losing picks in any scenario. Just the inability to trade them/them moving automatically to the end of the 1st round.

I am curious if they'd just move our swap results to the end (preferable) or future picks, like post 2030.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1875 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:33 pm

dremill24 wrote:

Sounds like someone on the GB has some more knowledge about this....this is probably mostly good news...

It's the pick that is seven years out that gets locked.

The first time you are over the 2nd apron, you lose the ability to trade your pick 7 years out. That pick is now frozen.

If you then go over the 2nd apron multiple years, the "frozen" pick is stuck with you and now drops to the end of the round.

Starting 2024-25, a team’s pick is frozen the first year it exceeds the second apron and then is moved to the end of the first round if it exceeds in 2 of the next 4 years (a total of 3 out of 5 seasons).

Examples they gave:

If the Suns are a second apron team during the 2024-25 season, they are not allowed to trade their 2032 first-round pick. The pick is deemed frozen.

If the Suns are a second apron team in 2024-25, 2025-26, and 2026-27, then their 2032 first will be moved to the end of the first round.

The Suns, as it stands, would not be a second apron team (I believe) in 26-27 because KD expires summer of 26. So that pick wouldn't move unless we extend him or trade him and bring back a similar $ amount.

It's actually nice our pick is frozen...it's protecting Ish from himself, but it would be nice if it didn't move to the end of the first round. Knowing us, we'd have had a good chance at the #1 pick when some super generational player is coming out.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,840

Post#1876 » by Saberestar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,516

Post#1877 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
dremill24 wrote:

Sounds like someone on the GB has some more knowledge about this....this is probably mostly good news...

It's the pick that is seven years out that gets locked.

The first time you are over the 2nd apron, you lose the ability to trade your pick 7 years out. That pick is now frozen.

If you then go over the 2nd apron multiple years, the "frozen" pick is stuck with you and now drops to the end of the round.

Starting 2024-25, a team’s pick is frozen the first year it exceeds the second apron and then is moved to the end of the first round if it exceeds in 2 of the next 4 years (a total of 3 out of 5 seasons).

Examples they gave:

If the Suns are a second apron team during the 2024-25 season, they are not allowed to trade their 2032 first-round pick. The pick is deemed frozen.

If the Suns are a second apron team in 2024-25, 2025-26, and 2026-27, then their 2032 first will be moved to the end of the first round.

The Suns, as it stands, would not be a second apron team (I believe) in 26-27 because KD expires on 27. So that pick wouldn't move unless we extend him or trade him and bring back a similar $ amount.

It's actually nice our pick is frozen...it's protecting Ish from himself, but it would be nice if it didn't move to the end of the first round. Knowing us, we'd have had a good chance at the #1 pick when some super generational player is coming out.

All great points!
Sometimes a franchise must be protected from itself in the context of very poor and/or impulsive front office decisuions, so having to keep our pick in this context might obviously be a blessing in disguise? BU?T ALSO, IF our pick is automatically moved to the very last pick of the draft, the one distinct advantage in this might be that at least we'd know well beforehand where we'd be picking, and the established value range of said pick too. I guess it looks like it also might not be so bad in this situation to have discussions on 2nd round talents or those possibly further back seeing as that's how it looks like things will play out for us going forward anyways.

Nothing wrong with being ahead of the curve on things! :D
Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#1878 » by Fifii » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:04 pm

I think we have squad to WCF. We avoid very dangerous opponents like Play-Off P or very athletic team leading by Chet. We are 2-0 with Denver in RS and we have reinforcement if you compare to last PO. Bruce Brown quit and Peyton Watson is weak. I know that Nurkic is under form , but I think a couple days of rest should help him. In PO usually teams plays 7-8 man rotations so this is moment to overload KD, Beal and Booker and cut minutes Gordon and Drew. My best rotations is :
Beal 40 / Booker 8
Booker 32 / Allen 16
Allen 20 / 28 R
KD 40 / 8 R
Nurkic 38 / Thad 10

Maybe Bol Bol can entire for couple minutes when Nurkic goes down or foul trouble. Yeah I know this is so I wrote it is a little crazy , but I can’t watch when Gordon is **** in D and shoots many bricks and Drew set another moving screen.

At least but very important I would support our team whatever happnes
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,516

Post#1879 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:39 pm

Read on Twitter
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,556

Post#1880 » by Revived » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:56 pm