Lakers/Kings
19%

Total votes: 16

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,651

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - the calm before the storm 

Post#1881 » by Revived » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:56 pm

What a steal the Knicks got in signing Hartenstein. He’s someone I really wanted last summer and would’ve been way better than Eubanks.

Utah got a crazy steal from the Gobert trade in Kessler.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,609

Post#1882 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,048

Post#1883 » by garrick » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:59 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
dremill24 wrote:
I havent dug into all the logistics in how its all applied but you're not losing picks in any scenario. Just the inability to trade them/them moving automatically to the end of the 1st round.

Sounds like someone on the GB has some more knowledge about this....this is probably mostly good news...

It's the pick that is seven years out that gets locked.

The first time you are over the 2nd apron, you lose the ability to trade your pick 7 years out. That pick is now frozen.

If you then go over the 2nd apron multiple years, the "frozen" pick is stuck with you and now drops to the end of the round.

Starting 2024-25, a team’s pick is frozen the first year it exceeds the second apron and then is moved to the end of the first round if it exceeds in 2 of the next 4 years (a total of 3 out of 5 seasons).

Examples they gave:

If the Suns are a second apron team during the 2024-25 season, they are not allowed to trade their 2032 first-round pick. The pick is deemed frozen.

If the Suns are a second apron team in 2024-25, 2025-26, and 2026-27, then their 2032 first will be moved to the end of the first round.

The Suns, as it stands, would not be a second apron team (I believe) in 26-27 because KD expires on 27. So that pick wouldn't move unless we extend him or trade him and bring back a similar $ amount.

It's actually nice our pick is frozen...it's protecting Ish from himself, but it would be nice if it didn't move to the end of the first round. Knowing us, we'd have had a good chance at the #1 pick when some super generational player is coming out.

All great points!
Sometimes a franchise must be protected from itself in the context of very poor and/or impulsive front office decisuions, so having to keep our pick in this context might obviously be a blessing in disguise? BU?T ALSO, IF our pick is automatically moved to the very last pick of the draft, the one distinct advantage in this might be that at least we'd know well beforehand where we'd be picking, and the established value range of said pick too. I guess it looks like it also might not be so bad in this situation to have discussions on 2nd round talents or those possibly further back seeing as that's how it looks like things will play out for us going forward anyways.

Nothing wrong with being ahead of the curve on things! :D

I wonder what happens when multiple teams are in consecutive years in the 2nd apron? Maybe they get ranked in order of which team is the most over the 2nd apron? I guess either way we will be dead last because Ishbia is probably going to outspend the GSW at this rate and we still haven't signed Royce yet to an extension.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#1884 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 am

Looks like we're keeping the players and firing the coach bar a miracle
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,193

Post#1885 » by RaisingArizona » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:15 am

It's nice having an owner go all out on spending after all the cheap asses this state has produced for owners.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,836

Post#1886 » by sashaturiaf » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 am

Now Royce will be next, and he certainty will be back. Ishbia didn't give up all our picks until the end of the decade to cheap out when it comes to keeping the team together.

Predicting something in the 3 years $40m range.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#1887 » by NapoleonII » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 am

Breathe the free air again, my friends.

Many things to not be sour on:

-Beal's emergence as a max player (lol)

-Health

-Defense

-4th quarter woes turning into pretty, pretty, pretty good's

--Match-up vs Minny (although I think it's kinda rotten we had them scheduled last. We now have to beat them 5/8 times?!)

-- Locking up the best role player shooter in the NBA

--Largely having this roster again next year.

Locked and loaded, let's make history as the 6th seed making the finals and let KD do the rest.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#1888 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:23 am

NapoleonII wrote:Breathe the free air again, my friends.

Many things to not be sour on:

-Beal's emergence as a max player (lol)

-Health

-Defense

-4th quarter woes turning into pretty, pretty, pretty good's

--Match-up vs Minny (although I think it's kinda rotten we had them scheduled last. We now have to beat them 5/8 times?!)

-- Locking up the best role player shooter in the NBA

--Largely having this roster again next year.

Locked and loaded, let's make history as the 6th seed making the finals and let KD do the rest.

Minnesota is not Denver, Clippers or OKC let’s be greatful to at least win one playoff series.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,609

Post#1889 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:52 am

garrick wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Sounds like someone on the GB has some more knowledge about this....this is probably mostly good news...

The Suns, as it stands, would not be a second apron team (I believe) in 26-27 because KD expires on 27. So that pick wouldn't move unless we extend him or trade him and bring back a similar $ amount.

It's actually nice our pick is frozen...it's protecting Ish from himself, but it would be nice if it didn't move to the end of the first round. Knowing us, we'd have had a good chance at the #1 pick when some super generational player is coming out.

All great points!
Sometimes a franchise must be protected from itself in the context of very poor and/or impulsive front office decisuions, so having to keep our pick in this context might obviously be a blessing in disguise? BU?T ALSO, IF our pick is automatically moved to the very last pick of the draft, the one distinct advantage in this might be that at least we'd know well beforehand where we'd be picking, and the established value range of said pick too. I guess it looks like it also might not be so bad in this situation to have discussions on 2nd round talents or those possibly further back seeing as that's how it looks like things will play out for us going forward anyways.

Nothing wrong with being ahead of the curve on things! :D

I wonder what happens when multiple teams are in consecutive years in the 2nd apron? Maybe they get ranked in order of which team is the most over the 2nd apron? I guess either way we will be dead last because Ishbia is probably going to outspend the GSW at this rate and we still haven't signed Royce yet to an extension.

I'd imagine it will be pretty much like you suggested with cumulative penalties assessed depending upon the most severe tax totals possibly evolving into some type of tiered outcome till there's no real options/ breathing room left. As for Ishbia spending more than Golden State, it shouldn't be too difficult considering the hole we've dug for ourselves absent of any legit assets that other teams' currently field. Also GS is already $20 million below us in total salaries for this season at (174 million) and has Klay off the books, and Paul will come off their books this summer too leaving them at around $121 million or so in total salaries compared to our $193+ million next season.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1890 » by Revived » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:03 am

Damn Nets, I was really hoping they’d hire Kevin Young away from the Suns.
NE1Care
Junior
And1: 278

Post#1891 » by NE1Care » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 pm

Kevin Young to BYU. It will shake up the coaching bench.
Replacement? Who do you think should run our offense?
"“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,” —Theodore Roosevelt
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#1892 » by LV-Suns » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:45 pm

Is he going to available throughout the playoffs? It sounded like he had one foot out of the door all season interviewing for all of the jobs. I never got the feeling that he gelled with Vogel, not sure how much of an input he even had on this team.
I Dont wanna be here
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,870

Post#1893 » by Saberestar » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 pm

LV-Suns wrote:Is he going to available throughout the playoffs? It sounded like he had one foot out of the door all season interviewing for all of the jobs. I never got the feeling that he gelled with Vogel, not sure how much of an input he even had on this team.

Young, who was born in Salt Lake City, will continue working with the Suns in the playoffs, but will begin assembling a coaching staff that'll immediately start recruiting for BYU, sources said.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1894 » by Revived » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 pm

Thank god. Ishbia has to be pumped right now knowing he got rid of the “highest paid assistant in NBA history” salary off the books.
dmastro32
Rookie
And1: 503

Post#1895 » by dmastro32 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 pm

Saberestar wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:Is he going to available throughout the playoffs? It sounded like he had one foot out of the door all season interviewing for all of the jobs. I never got the feeling that he gelled with Vogel, not sure how much of an input he even had on this team.

Young, who was born in Salt Lake City, will continue working with the Suns in the playoffs, but will begin assembling a coaching staff that'll immediately start recruiting for BYU, sources said.

As a BYU fan I am excited to see how he adapts to College. There were times this year I felt the offense went very stagnant, feel like players and Young both responsible for that.
sunsfan1o1
Pro Prospect
And1: 760

Post#1896 » by sunsfan1o1 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:27 pm

Kevin Young is awful. This is great news.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#1897 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:33 pm

sunsfan1o1 wrote:Kevin Young is awful. This is great news.

Awful? He got our team to the finals just 3 seasons ago.. and don’t say Chris Paul did one player does not make a difference in making it that far. Young was beneficial in getting us to the finals.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1898 » by Revived » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 pm

Saberestar wrote:

That’s lame. They need to let him leave for BYU right away. Having one leg out the door trying to assemble staff for BYU while also trying to gameplan for NBA playoffs doesn’t help anyone.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,755

Post#1899 » by sunsbum » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:45 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
sunsfan1o1 wrote:Kevin Young is awful. This is great news.

Awful? He got our team to the finals just 3 seasons ago.. and don’t say Chris Paul did one player does not make a difference in making it that far. Young was beneficial in getting us to the finals.

Mont, Vogel, Kevin Young… you see a pattern here? I’m sure Fizzdale will be in the crosshairs next with one of the whipping boys gone.
Flex is now your father.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,566

Post#1900 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 pm

I have no idea how much input or how good of coach Kevin Young is. We will see how he does in the Big 12. It should be relatively weak outside of AZ and Kansas.

Return to Phoenix Suns