Total votes: 16

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,519

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - the calm before the storm 

Post#1961 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 pm

Saberestar wrote:Image

I was watching some foreign series a couple months back, and it had nothing to do with basketball...it was like some gangs in europe or asia or something. I can't even remember given I watch a lot of them, but a character in the gang was wearing a Booker jersey. No other jerseys or basketball or anything mentioned in the show. I thought it was pretty funny to see out of all players.

Wish I could remember it. It showed him a few times...he was talking to the main gang/mob leader.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,796

Post#1962 » by Qwigglez » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 pm

Probably Philippines. Filipinos love DBook. I think he reminds them of Kobe.

I'm surprised to see Maxey up there, and even Ball. I think the NBA should allow players to have nicknames on their jerseys every once in a while, at games. I'm not much of a jersey wearing guy, but it would be cool to see a Spurs jersey with the back saying "Alien" or just Suns jersey with "KD" or "DBook". I think Zion's jersey would sell more if it just said "Zion" as opposed to Williamson.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1963 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Probably Philippines. Filipinos love DBook. I think he reminds them of Kobe.

I'm surprised to see Maxey up there, and even Ball. I think the NBA should allow players to have nicknames on their jerseys every once in a while, at games. I'm not much of a jersey wearing guy, but it would be cool to see a Spurs jersey with the back saying "Alien" or just Suns jersey with "KD" or "DBook". I think Zion's jersey would sell more if it just said "Zion" as opposed to Williamson.

I'm not surprised to see younger players. I'm always a little surprised to see the same people at the top every year especially if they don't change teams because more people have already bought their jerseys. But younger studs that people haven't bought seem like they would sell a little more.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,565

Post#1965 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:51 pm

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1966 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:51 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:That's also a real possibility. I'm not particularly high on the Knicks. I am excited to watch Brunson work though

Philly was 29-13 before Embiid got hurt. Oubre was hurt too before that. The Knicks then were 25-17. Philly was crushing people early with Embiid. Though the Knicks did destroy them early...and played well against them all season, though the other games were without Embiid.

I just can't see Embiid going out in the first round....and the Sixers were the better team when he was healthy. The Knicks tried so hard to get the 2 seed...I kept thinking I'd rather have the 3.
Qwigglez wrote:Randle has consistently underperformed in the playoffs. I feel like he is easy to gameplan against.

I don't see the Knicks beating the Sixers, and got the Sixers winning in 6.

Just because I wanted to make sure my memory served me correctly as to how Biid does in the playoffs, checked his career. The results:

Regular season- 28ppg on 51/34/83 percentages
Playoffs- 24ppg on 46/23/81 percentages

To whit:

Joel Embiid is somewhat lucky he's played with infamous chokers like Harden and Ben Simmons otherwise he's be justifiably known as a massive playoff underperformer.

Philly should win but they are FAR from a shoe-in vs the Knicks. Imo at least.

Looks like you picking the Knicks is more with the general "expert" consensus:

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1967 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:55 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Do you have espn insider? If so can you post these articles...?

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/39944541/zach-lowe-final-selections-nba-mvp-roy-other-awards

Damn I was also looking for a write up of his picks for the series, but it looks like he did it on a Lowe Post podcast, so I will be forced to listen to a podcast. But I would lilke to see his defensive teams....I assume he went Wemby and Jokic for rookie and MVP, but if he has a top 5 would like to see them too.

And if he has all nba teams of course.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1968 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:57 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10117107-1-trade-target-for-every-nba-team-this-offseason

1 Trade Target for Every NBA Team This Offseason
DAN FAVALE X
APRIL 19, 2024

Phoenix Suns: Jevon Carter

Friend-of-the-Phoenix-Suns Torrey Craig would appear here if I didn't expect him to decline his $2.9 million player option. So, we'll pivot to other-friend-of-the-Suns-who-plays-for-the-Chicago-Bulls Jevon Carter.

Full disclosure: Phoenix has a greater need for wings and versatile bigs. But the former tends to command more value in trades, which the Suns do not have. Their asset stores are dry, and "Supertax" doesn't begin to describe their financial constraints. (Something I'm not sure has dawned on enough of us: Phoenix is slated to have three of the league's seven highest-paid players next season.)

Rotation bigs, meanwhile, are easier to grab with minimum deals in free agency. That brings us back to Carter.

Nassir Little's $6.8 million salary registers as the team's most useful salary-matching tool. The recently extended Grayson Allen has become too important, and Jusuf Nurkić (two years, $37.5 million) is too expensive (and also maybe too important).

Carter's $6.5 million salary next year fits the second-apron trade parameters. At 6'1", he isn't a conventional point man, but he doesn't monopolize touches and is comfortable dotting primary ball-handlers.

A crowded guard rotation along with a down shooting season (32.9 percent from deep) derailed Carter's first season in Chicago. The Suns shouldn't be worried. His feisty-as-hell defense persists, and a career 38.3 percent marksman from distance doesn't just fall off without bouncing back.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1969 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:09 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/suns/phoenix-suns-candidates-replace-kevin-young

Candidates to Replace Suns Coach Kevin Young
The Suns have a key decision to make this offseason.

KEVIN HICKS
4 HOURS AGO

PHOENIX -- Now that Phoenix Suns associate Kevin Young is officially departing his post with the Phoenix Suns to become the head coach of the Brigham Young Cougars, head coach Frank Vogel has a key decision to make this offseason (assuming Vogel is back for year two).

There's many candidates who could very well see the Suns as a step up from being on another staff, as well as several candidates on the staff currently that could be worthy, plus potentially even coaches in the college ranks. The candidates that we feel make the most sense:

Kimani Young - UCONN associate head coach

Young has been widely considered a rising figure in the college ranks, having been the main recruiter and player development coach for 2 national titles alongside head coach Dan Hurley.

Young has also been commended for developing NBA talents such as Jordan Hawkins, James Bouknight, and soon-to-be Stephon Castle.

It is typically a risky proposition to bring a coach directly from the college ranks into the NBA, but Young's track record speaks for itself - he could be a potential home-run hire after the season concludes.

Kenny Atkinson - Golden State Warriors associate head coach

Atkinson has been comfortable as Steve Kerr's number two since the Warriors' title season in 2021-22.

However, it is quite conceivable that Atkinson could see the writing on the wall in the Bay Area, and could look to find a way out.

Atkinson isn't the most likely addition, but he is a candidate worth monitoring going into the off-season (whenever that is to begin).

ike D'Antoni - New Orleans Pelicans coaching advisor

This would be the most bold hire without contest.

D'Antoni is a legendary head coach who hasn't actually been on an NBA bench since the 2020-21 season with the Brooklyn Nets.

The former Suns' head coach would be a seamless fit as the new "offensive coordinator," it truly could just come down to reciprocated interest if Phoenix opts to show interest.

David Fizdale - Suns assistant head coach

Fizdale would be the most "natural" promotion within the staff - staff that has ample talent in Miles Simon and Quinton Crawford.

Fizdale has also had a fair amount of head-coaching experience and appears to be well-respected by the squad.

The ultimate drawback would be that Fizdale's background is more as a defensive-minded tactician, but he would be a great choice based off of past experience and leadership.

*Hopefully coach Vogel won't have to worry about making an official move until mid-June, but it's never too early to scout out potential hires.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1970 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/39944541/zach-lowe-final-selections-nba-mvp-roy-other-awards

Damn I was also looking for a write up of his picks for the series, but it looks like he did it on a Lowe Post podcast, so I will be forced to listen to a podcast. But I would lilke to see his defensive teams....I assume he went Wemby and Jokic for rookie and MVP, but if he has a top 5 would like to see them too.

Nope! sorry man, I did have it up until recently, but haven't decided yet if I want to renew just yet. His defensive lists would truly be intruiging to hear! :nod:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1971 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:15 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/suns/phoenix-suns-candidates-replace-kevin-young

KEVIN HICKS
4 HOURS AGO

PHOENIX -- Now that Phoenix Suns associate Kevin Young is officially departing his post with the Phoenix Suns to become the head coach of the Brigham Young Cougars, head coach Frank Vogel has a key decision to make this offseason (assuming Vogel is back for year two).

There's many candidates who could very well see the Suns as a step up from being on another staff, as well as several candidates on the staff currently that could be worthy, plus potentially even coaches in the college ranks. The candidates that we feel make the most sense:

Young has been widely considered a rising figure in the college ranks, having been the main recruiter and player development coach for 2 national titles alongside head coach Dan Hurley.

Young has also been commended for developing NBA talents such as Jordan Hawkins, James Bouknight, and soon-to-be Stephon Castle.

It is typically a risky proposition to bring a coach directly from the college ranks into the NBA, but Young's track record speaks for itself - he could be a potential home-run hire after the season concludes.

Atkinson has been comfortable as Steve Kerr's number two since the Warriors' title season in 2021-22.

However, it is quite conceivable that Atkinson could see the writing on the wall in the Bay Area, and could look to find a way out.

Atkinson isn't the most likely addition, but he is a candidate worth monitoring going into the off-season (whenever that is to begin).

D'Antoni is a legendary head coach who hasn't actually been on an NBA bench since the 2020-21 season with the Brooklyn Nets.

The former Suns' head coach would be a seamless fit as the new "offensive coordinator," it truly could just come down to reciprocated interest if Phoenix opts to show interest.

Fizdale would be the most "natural" promotion within the staff - staff that has ample talent in Miles Simon and Quinton Crawford.

Fizdale has also had a fair amount of head-coaching experience and appears to be well-respected by the squad.

The ultimate drawback would be that Fizdale's background is more as a defensive-minded tactician, but he would be a great choice based off of past experience and leadership.

*Hopefully coach Vogel won't have to worry about making an official move until mid-June, but it's never too early to scout out potential hires.

I really like D'Antoni and would love if our offense played that SSOL style...it doesn't suit Nurkic though. Interestingly enough, regardless of one's thoughts on Ayton, if we ran SSOL with Ayton and fast paced and had him as a finisher surrounded by shooters, that would have been the perfect way to use him.

I love Atkinson though. Nets probably would have been a lot better to keep him.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1972 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nope! sorry man, I did have it up until recently, but haven't decided yet if I want to renew just yet. His defensive lists would truly be intruiging to hear! :nod:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/regular-season-conclusion-play-in-preview-and-awards-picks/id986595124?i=1000652518906
Around 1:17:20 for his award picks (if that helps at all). :dontknow:

Best defensive player Top 3
1- Gobert.
2- Wembanyama.
3- Davis.
*4- Bam Adebayo (unofficial).
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,569

Post#1973 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:33 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/regular-season-conclusion-play-in-preview-and-awards-picks/id986595124?i=1000652518906

1- Gobert.
2- Wembanyama.
3- Davis.

Best defensive player Top 4

1- Wembanyama
2- Gobert
3- Bam
4- Davis

Gobert is definitely not #1 he constantly gets exposed by guards and can’t be trusted in the playoffs as we have seen before.

Wemby is only a rookie and can cover ground. I’ve seen many stats drive in the paint afraid to take a floater or shoot on Wemby forcing a bad TO or a pass . Bam is currently ahead of AD he’s tough and versatile and much younger. That’s my top 4 in particular order. If you don’t like it I don’t know what to tell you Ghost. A list is just a list comprised of my top picks no offense.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,220

Post#1974 » by Slim Charless » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Philly was 29-13 before Embiid got hurt. Oubre was hurt too before that. The Knicks then were 25-17. Philly was crushing people early with Embiid. Though the Knicks did destroy them early...and played well against them all season, though the other games were without Embiid.

I just can't see Embiid going out in the first round....and the Sixers were the better team when he was healthy. The Knicks tried so hard to get the 2 seed...I kept thinking I'd rather have the 3.
Qwigglez wrote:Randle has consistently underperformed in the playoffs. I feel like he is easy to gameplan against.

I don't see the Knicks beating the Sixers, and got the Sixers winning in 6.

Just because I wanted to make sure my memory served me correctly as to how Biid does in the playoffs, checked his career. The results:

Regular season- 28ppg on 51/34/83 percentages
Playoffs- 24ppg on 46/23/81 percentages

To whit:

Joel Embiid is somewhat lucky he's played with infamous chokers like Harden and Ben Simmons otherwise he's be justifiably known as a massive playoff underperformer.

Philly should win but they are FAR from a shoe-in vs the Knicks. Imo at least.

Looks like you picking the Knicks is more with the general "expert" consensus:

Some of that is NYC bias, no doubt. That being said the Knicks have been 1 of the league's best teams this past month or so. Makes sense to me. Especially with a possibly gimpy Embiid. Of course you can say that NYK don't have Randle, but he doesn't mean anything close to what Biid means to the Sixers.

I like their chances-if OG is put on and can handle Maxey.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1975 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:29 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

1- Gobert.
2- Wembanyama.
3- Davis.

Best defensive player Top 4

1- Wembanyama
2- Gobert
3- Bam
4- Davis

Gobert is definitely not #1 he constantly gets exposed by guards and can’t be trusted in the playoffs as we have seen before.

Wemby is only a rookie and can cover ground. I’ve seen many stats drive in the paint afraid to take a floater or shoot on Wemby forcing a bad TO or a pass . Bam is currently ahead of AD he’s tough and versatile and much younger. That’s my top 4 in particular order. If you don’t like it I don’t know what to tell you Ghost. A list is just a list comprised of my top picks no offense.

Oh I agree! this isn't at all my top 3 or 4 selections, it's Zach Lowes' from his podcast link above referencing BWs' interest in his picks...lol. :wink:
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,860

Post#1976 » by Saberestar » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:15 pm

Read on Twitter

No surprises here. If Kawhi is finally out the Mavs are clearly favorites to win that series.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,671

Post#1977 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/suns/phoenix-suns-candidates-replace-kevin-young

KEVIN HICKS
4 HOURS AGO

I really like D'Antoni and would love if our offense played that SSOL style...it doesn't suit Nurkic though. Interestingly enough, regardless of one's thoughts on Ayton, if we ran SSOL with Ayton and fast paced and had him as a finisher surrounded by shooters, that would have been the perfect way to use him.

I love Atkinson though. Nets probably would have been a lot better to keep him.

Love Kenny too but I dunno how high end he is as a coach. I think he'll for sure get the team to play hard and play the right way but at the highest level, I think he's untested. Maybe he's grown a fair bit since taking the assistant coaching gigs in LA and GS but while he impressed me in Brooklyn without the most talented of teams, I don't know about playoff basketball.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns