Game 64: Boston Celtics (48-14) @ Phoenix Suns (37-26) | Saturday | 6:30PM

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,507

Re: Game 64: Boston Celtics (48-14) @ Phoenix Suns (37-26) | Saturday | 6:30PM 

Post#121 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:33 am

Hitachi77 wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:I mean if we can’t beat the Celtics, who can we beat ???

Hopefully Nuggets in the first round. Beat their ass in 6, then everyone can stop slobbering over them.

That would be great will remind me of 2021 playoffs
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#122 » by sashaturiaf » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:44 am

Mr Puddles wrote:I've said this before as well, but the 5th and 6th team in the west will likely be determined by the head to head match ups.

The suns still play the kings once and pelicans twice, winner will hold the tie breaker.

The kings and Mavericks are facing off against each other twice still.

Pelicans and Kings still face each other once.

If the Suns can take care of those games, then we'll be in good shape.

True 5vs6 doesn't matter as much to me as avoiding the playin altogether.

After that I'd say I would definitely rather play OKC or Minnesota in the first round rather than Nuggets or Clippers, but we really got zero say in that.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,501

Post#123 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:46 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:I mean if we can’t beat the Celtics, who can we beat ???

The Pistons????????????????????????????? :dontknow:
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#124 » by sashaturiaf » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:48 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:Suns have an amazing record when they record 30+ assists a game everyone is getting involved ob offense. 21 assists like tonight is just not gonna cut it especially against a juggernaut team against the Celtics.

Celtics mostly played us straight up today. Hence KD went off while Royce and Grayson were held in check. Can't assist if we're going 1v1

I think we played well today but the bench minutes absolutely killed us, Booker being back taking the Eubanks and Lee minutes would have helped a ton.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,982

Post#125 » by grumpysaddle » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:00 am

Celtics just stayed absolutely glued to Grayson all game. We desperately need plays to free him up for looks because teams will follow suit with that.

Also, I feel like every team full court defends us when we bring the ball up more than any other team in the league. It's constant. We need more plays to get the ball up the floor without draining so much time off the shot clock.

The overturned call near the end was a headscratcher and really sucked the air out of any hope to come back. Also that BS Brown 3 pointer foul and the missed calls where KD should have been shooting a FT for the and-1s really **** sucked. We need Book back for the next one in Boston.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,050

Post#126 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:10 am

Watched Celtics Mavs a week or so ago and they did the same by defending Luka 1on1 and limiting everybody else. Obviously this strategy may not look so good when Booker is playing, but I'm not sure KD will be consistently putting 30+ in a series either. As long as two of Big 3 have good game Suns will at least make it close against any other team.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,507

Post#127 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:23 am

sashaturiaf wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:Suns have an amazing record when they record 30+ assists a game everyone is getting involved ob offense. 21 assists like tonight is just not gonna cut it especially against a juggernaut team against the Celtics.

Celtics mostly played us straight up today. Hence KD went off while Royce and Grayson were held in check. Can't assist if we're going 1v1

I think we played well today but the bench minutes absolutely killed us, Booker being back taking the Eubanks and Lee minutes would have helped a ton.

I missed the whole game so I was basically what I saw on the box score. I wish it only got easier but we need play the Celtics again in a few days. I just hope the Suns can avoid the play in.
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 652

Post#128 » by Hitachi77 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:43 am

sunsbg wrote:Watched Celtics Mavs a week or so ago and they did the same by defending Luka 1on1 and limiting everybody else. Obviously this strategy may not look so good when Booker is playing, but I'm not sure KD will be consistently putting 30+ in a series either. As long as two of Big 3 have good game Suns will at least make it close against any other team.

KD is that good though. That’s why he’s KD. No one can guard him one on one. Same with Booker and Beal really. The only teams that might try to play them all straight up are the Celtics and Clippers. The others will double, which will almost certainly will work with the Okogies and Lees of the world out there. The only ones who I trust to make open shots a good enough % of the time are Allen, Royce, and Gordon. Sure they will have cold streaks, the latter two in particular, but I think all 3 can make defenses pay enough.
Hitachi77
Senior

Post#129 » by Hitachi77 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:50 am

Eubanks stat line is amazing. 11 minutes, 0 points, 1 rebound, -20 +/-. In the playoffs I think we go small instead of putting him in. Against the Nuggets him him a chance since he did play well against them.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,050

Post#130 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:19 am

Both Drew and EG are rather inconsistent and can contribute for a win on a good day, but are liability quite often. I guess a normal thing for min contract guys.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,186

Post#131 » by Mr Puddles » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:23 am

Hitachi77 wrote:Eubanks stat line is amazing. 11 minutes, 0 points, 1 rebound, -20 +/-. In the playoffs I think we go small instead of putting him in. Against the Nuggets him him a chance since he did play well against them.

I actually have mixed feelings about Eubanks having the odd good game. On the one hand, I'm always happy when a Suns player performs well. On the other hand, I've seen enough of Drew that I don't want him anywhere near our playoff rotation.

Whenever Drew has a good game, it seems to buy him another 10 games of good will with Vogel. For the life of me, I can't think of any reason why Eubanks is out there instead of Young. Young has done the little things well when he's out there, like boxing guys out, while Bol is still out there for the athletic rebounds and blocks. The Eubanks / Bol combo is just a couple of poko sticks bouncing around getting out muscled for rebounds by chizzled players known for their bear-like strength, like Luke Kornet.
Spoiler:
Iceman36
Sophomore
And1: 301

Post#132 » by Iceman36 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 am

Just finished:
Encouraging game. We just couldn't hit our wide open threes.
Hitachi77
Senior

Post#133 » by Hitachi77 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:51 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:Eubanks stat line is amazing. 11 minutes, 0 points, 1 rebound, -20 +/-. In the playoffs I think we go small instead of putting him in. Against the Nuggets him him a chance since he did play well against them.

I actually have mixed feelings about Eubanks having the odd good game. On the one hand, I'm always happy when a Suns player performs well. On the other hand, I've seen enough of Drew that I don't want him anywhere near our playoff rotation.

Whenever Drew has a good game, it seems to buy him another 10 games of good will with Vogel. For the life of me, I can't think of any reason why Eubanks is out there instead of Young. Young has done the little things well when he's out there, like boxing guys out, while Bol is still out there for the athletic rebounds and blocks. The Eubanks / Bol combo is just a couple of poko sticks bouncing around getting out muscled for rebounds by chizzled players known for their bear-like strength, like Luke Kornet.

Yup agreed. In the remaining matchup vs Denver, I say put him in, to see if last game wasn’t a fluke. If he plays well, play him vs Denver in a potential series. If not, don’t. Don’t play him against anyone else, except in the rare situation where Nurk and Bol are getting killed and we need to find a miracle spark somewhere. Some for Okogie.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,830

Post#134 » by Saberestar » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:49 am

sunsbg wrote:7th now and still with most difficult schedule in the league. Suns need to beat teams like Celtics to not be a play in team. Good losses won't do it. Simple as that. Let's start with Cavs.

We have a great opportunity to win @ Cleveland.

They play tonight against the Nets, so it's a back-to-back for them. And they presumably will not have Donovan Mitchell, Mobley and Struss.

And we will see...but I expect Book back for us.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,996

Post#135 » by garrick » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:54 pm

Hitachi77 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:

Yup agreed. In the remaining matchup vs Denver, I say put him in, to see if last game wasn’t a fluke. If he plays well, play him vs Denver in a potential series. If not, don’t. Don’t play him against anyone else, except in the rare situation where Nurk and Bol are getting killed and we need to find a miracle spark somewhere. Some for Okogie.

I think both Nurkic and Jokic do decent against Jokic because Jokic doesn't have the foot speed to blow past them and especially Nurkic can use his size to body Nurkic up.

In similar fashion Jock looked like a decent player when matched up against Jokic in the post season and got that huge 8m contract from the Rockets but has been pretty disappointing so far this season. Denver might be the one team where our centers do relatively well?
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,413

Post#136 » by dremill24 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:46 pm

Maze wrote:Don't see how they reversed that out of bounds call on KD.That was the death nail.

I thought we were done making that stupid call on replays like that...guess not.
Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#137 » by Fifii » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:03 pm

We lost because :

- Joe is better HC than Vogel
- I know that KP doesn’t played in this match , but Devin > KP so we had biggest problem
- Jaylen Brown whole RS sucks and vs our team he played very good
- White is a **** good defender who cut off ball from KD
- Grayson wasn’t be Grayson from last matches
- Nurkic played bad and Gordon very bad ( like always , I’m to tried watching him on our team , please Vogel cut him minutes to minimum )

Two positives are good game from Beal and Bol

KD like KD
Hitachi77
Senior

Post#138 » by Hitachi77 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:13 pm

garrick wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:

I think both Nurkic and Jokic do decent against Jokic because Jokic doesn't have the foot speed to blow past them and especially Nurkic can use his size to body Nurkic up.

In similar fashion Jock looked like a decent player when matched up against Jokic in the post season and got that huge 8m contract from the Rockets but has been pretty disappointing so far this season. Denver might be the one team where our centers do relatively well?

Yeah and just to add to that. Eubanks in particular seems to really struggle adding value in space. That’s why he had almost nothing in a full quarter of play yesterday. Without KP playing, Boston’s offense is purely around the perimeter guys. So Eubanks job in that matchup is to float around a bit, help defense, rebounds, close out on 3 point shooters etc. I don’t think he’s effective at all in that role. But against Jokic, his job is clear. Follow around Jokic, put a body on Jokic, etc. that’s it.

Ironically, with KP playing, Eubanks role would be the same as it would be vs Jokic, but like you said, KP is quicker. Others like Giannis are much quicker. So Eubanks would very likely struggle there too.

So yeah, that matchup vs Denver is looking outstanding. We have guys who play Jokic well and they basically have no one to deal with our big 3. That doesn’t mean it’s an auto win for us at all, there are many ways we could still lose. But the matchup looks very good.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,996

Post#139 » by garrick » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:26 am

Hitachi77 wrote:
garrick wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:

Yeah and just to add to that. Eubanks in particular seems to really struggle adding value in space. That’s why he had almost nothing in a full quarter of play yesterday. Without KP playing, Boston’s offense is purely around the perimeter guys. So Eubanks job in that matchup is to float around a bit, help defense, rebounds, close out on 3 point shooters etc. I don’t think he’s effective at all in that role. But against Jokic, his job is clear. Follow around Jokic, put a body on Jokic, etc. that’s it.

Ironically, with KP playing, Eubanks role would be the same as it would be vs Jokic, but like you said, KP is quicker. Others like Giannis are much quicker. So Eubanks would very likely struggle there too.

So yeah, that matchup vs Denver is looking outstanding. We have guys who play Jokic well and they basically have no one to deal with our big 3. That doesn’t mean it’s an auto win for us at all, there are many ways we could still lose. But the matchup looks very good.

Yeah last season with our skeleton crew we took Denver to 6 games which was more than the Lakers or Wolves could do albeit with Book and KD going MJ mode for those wins with little help from the bench so this team will matchup better than last season though I still give Denver the edge.

I think we have no hope for Boston or Milwaukee in the East if we ever make it to the championships but we have to worry about getting out of the West or even making it to the playoffs and avoiding the play in.
Hitachi77
Senior

Post#140 » by Hitachi77 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:33 am

garrick wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:
garrick wrote:

Yeah last season with our skeleton crew we took Denver to 6 games which was more than the Lakers or Wolves could do albeit with Book and KD going MJ mode for those wins with little help from the bench so this team will matchup better than last season though I still give Denver the edge.

I think we have no hope for Boston or Milwaukee in the East if we ever make it to the championships but we have to worry about getting out of the West or even making it to the playoffs and avoiding the play in.

Milwaukee is good, not great. Nothing about them says we can’t play with them to me. We can’t guard Giannis but they can’t guard our big 3 either.

Boston I get it. But look what happened last year. They were dominant when they wanted to be in the reg season, then got annihilated by Miami.

But ya, gotta worry about the west first.

Return to Phoenix Suns