ImageImageImage

2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title 

Post#341 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:20 pm

We have 2 years of winning playoffs after 10 years of rebuilding and we want to go back to 10 years of rebuilding?

I reckon Mike Dantoni would win us 60 games with this roster with the appropriate leadership.
Kyler Murray
Suns Forum Fantasy GOD
And1: 702

Post#342 » by Kyler Murray » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:55 pm

All is good, we are used to disappointment anyway. Although I didn't believe there would be a player getting more hate than Ayton but Beal takes the cake.

Bottom line, calm your nerves, expect nothing good, and be pleasantly surprised if something good happens.
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 677

Post#343 » by Hitachi77 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:00 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:He is 73 years old.

Well he doesn’t look it. I was shocked to see he is only 3 years younger than Pop.

He’s a great fit. The team needs to runnnnnn. Also him returning to Phoenix is almost poetic. And again, he did well in Houston before CP3 got there.

Coach Bud or Chris Quinn (Spo's lead assistant)

Both intriguing options. Of the two I’d rather have Bud even if Quinn has a higher ceiling. Higher chance to get respect from the players, and we know assistants don’t always work out as head coaches.
Hitachi77
Senior

Post#344 » by Hitachi77 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:02 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:We have 2 years of winning playoffs after 10 years of rebuilding and we want to go back to 10 years of rebuilding?

I reckon Mike Dantoni would win us 60 games with this roster with the appropriate leadership.

That’s the part I don’t get. People say they’d rather win 15 games and “like” the team. **** that.

I would love to see the team under the right coach.
Hitachi77
Senior

Post#345 » by Hitachi77 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:10 am

What about Beal to GS for Wiggins / CP3 / other? Wiggins has sucked for them but he is a very capable two way player with close to a 40% 3 point ceiling. But the Warriors might consider him expendable, and they definitely consider CP3 expendable, and CP3 might do it while taking a lower salary on a sign and trade. Otherwise he’s maybe getting 6M a year max next year.

Also it would be fun to trade CP3 for CP3 and more.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,299

Post#346 » by Slim Charless » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:32 am

Hitachi77 wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:
Well he doesn’t look it. I was shocked to see he is only 3 years younger than Pop.

He’s a great fit. The team needs to runnnnnn. Also him returning to Phoenix is almost poetic. And again, he did well in Houston before CP3 got there.

Coach Bud or Chris Quinn (Spo's lead assistant)

Both intriguing options. Of the two I’d rather have Bud even if Quinn has a higher ceiling. Higher chance to get respect from the players, and we know assistants don’t always work out as head coaches.

It depends on what route we go for me.

If we move Booker, or keep thing the same then I'd rather Bud-he seems like a coach vets would love. Booker trade seems like it would get us another vet star (Melo, Trae, Zion, etc) If we move KD, then I want Quinn as I think that his youth will mesh well with the kids (OKC stuff) we get from a KD trade and with Booker himself.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,299

Post#347 » by Slim Charless » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:36 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:We have 2 years of winning playoffs after 10 years of rebuilding and we want to go back to 10 years of rebuilding?

This talk of rebuilding is stupid and the posters who keep talking about have no short term memory. We don't have our picks and BRK is only giving them back for Booker-which is a stupid trade.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,217

Post#348 » by RaisingArizona » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:45 am

BurningHeart wrote:My only question is why would the Sonics want to bring in that cancer after all the **** that roster put them through and all the time they spent trying to build again?

They have a gillion picks to sell. It would all depend on if they are able to get over the hump this year or not. I don't see anyone beating Boston
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,741

Post#349 » by Revived » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:07 am

You realize we have crappy rebuilding because we had terrible people making decisions right?

Look at OKC. They were contenders for years then they sucked and rebuild for 4-5 years and they’re good again and will be contenders for years to come. Because they actually have a good GM making decisions.

Look at Minnesota….they sucked forever, hired a smart assistant GM from Denver and they rebuild and are contenders now for years to come.

Rebuilding isn’t a bad or super slow strategy in general. It only becomes that if you have a shtty GM. If Ishbia can hire someone like Bob Myers then a rebuild would take about as long as OKC did.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 14,017

Post#350 » by grumpysaddle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:23 am

How is Vogel not fired yet?
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,816

Post#351 » by Qwigglez » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:30 am

Not sure we can recover from this devasting blow.
Read on Twitter
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,004

Post#352 » by TeamTragic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 am

Qwigglez wrote:Not sure we can recover from this devasting blow.
Read on Twitter

:rockon:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,772

Post#353 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:41 am

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/magic_acquire_bradley_beal_from_suns_in_bold_trade_proposal/s1_17038_40300906
Magic acquire Bradley Beal in bold trade propsal
Originally posted on Hoops Wire | By Ashish Mathur | Last updated 4/29/24

One NBA writer proposed that the Orlando Magic acquire Bradley Beal from the Phoenix Suns.

Andy Bailey of Bleacher Report proposed the following trade idea between the Magic and Suns:

The Deal: Bradley Beal for Joe Ingles and Cole Anthony

The Suns got swept by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round of the 2024 playoffs. In his first season in Phoenix, Beal averaged 18.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 5.0 assists while shooting 51.3% from the field, 43.0% from beyond the arc and 81.3% from the free-throw line.

A three-time All-Star, Beal has a no-trade clause in his contract. The Florida product will make $50.2 million next season and $53.7 million in 2025-26.

“But the 30-year-old is surely the player Phoenix would most like to unload,” Bailey wrote. “His lack of availability was a problem all season, and the length and size of his contract is a huge part of the team’s financial issues. To find a deal even remotely believable, a couple other dominoes would have to fall.

“First, the Orlando Magic would need to flame out of a first-round series in which they’ve been competitive with the Cleveland Cavaliers. And second, they’d need to strike out in free agency (where they’ll have $30-60 million in cap space). “Continuing their organic rebuild around Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner is probably the more prudent approach, but the Magic could use an offensive boost (they were 22nd on that end this season). And if they can’t get it elsewhere, absorbing Beal’s deal with that cap space could be short-term fix (with potential long-term ramifications).”

Beal averaged 16.5 points, 2.8 rebounds and 4.5 assists in the Suns-Timberwolves series while shooting 44.1% from the field, 43.5% from 3 and 80.0% from the free-throw line. He struggled on defense trying to defend Minnesota star Anthony Edwards.

It will be fascinating to see what the Suns do this summer. They could fire head coach Frank Vogel.

To move Beal, Phoenix would need Beal to waive his no-trade clause.

Beal has career NBA averages of 21.9 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.3 assists with the Washington Wizards and Suns.

Thought I'd post this trade article for Slim, since he did have a Beal to Florida (Orlando) suggestion!! :wink:
KdoubleDees23
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#354 » by KdoubleDees23 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:07 am

Let’s pry coach thibs away from NY

Tbh I would have loved to see

Brunson
Booker
Bridges
CamJo
Ayton

That would have been fun
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#355 » by Qwigglez » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:08 am

Not a huge fan of Cole Anthony but I wouldn't be opposed to moving Beal for Cole Anthony AND Isaac. I would even take Ingles if the Magic wanted to include him in the deal, though I expect if the Magic didn't decline Ingles team option for 24/25 that they would prefer to keep him. Cole Anthony is only making $13 million next season, and Isaac's contract expires after next season as well. Suns would immediately shed a ton of salary while probably remaining somewhat competitive.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#356 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:19 am

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/a-kevin-durant-trade-the-phoenix-suns-should-consider-atlanta-hawks-nba

A Blockbuster Kevin Durant Trade The Phoenix Suns Must Consider
I believe the Phoenix Suns should consider making a trade.
BEN STINAR 3 HOURS AGO

On Sunday evening, the Phoenix Suns had their season come to an end when they lost to the Minnesota Timberwolves by a score of 122-116.

Since the Suns were swept, they had one of the most disappointing seasons of all time. All-Star forward Kevin Durant will be 36 by the time next season begins, and I believe the Suns should move him to get significant assets for the franchise going forward.

Who Should They Trade Kevin Durant For?
I believe the perfect trade partner would be the Atlanta Hawks.

They have a talented roster, but are coming off a season where they were the tenth seed in the Eastern Conference with a 36-46 record (they lost to the Chicago Bulls in the play-in tournament). The framework for a hypothetical deal could center around 2022 NBA All-Star Dejounte Murray, Jalen Johnson and De'Andre Hunter. Murray would give the Suns a legitimate point guard, while Hunter or Johnson would be able to replace the size of Durant in their starting lineup.

In addition, the Hawks could give them young players such as Kobe Bufkin, Onyeka Okongwu and/or draft-picks. The Suns would get a lot younger, replenish their assets and also be able to reconstruct a roster that is still centered around All-Star guard Devin Booker. They would also have the option to go into a full rebuilding mode and see what they could get for Booker or Bradley Beal while still having Murray (27 years old) and Johnson (22 years old).

I posted this because I kind of actually low key really like this trade because I believe that Dejounte Murray would be a perfect compliment next to Booker! And I'd love to take back Jalen Johnson too as a tall fluid ball handling two way 3/4 with multipositional versatility. Add in some draft picks and or Kobe Bufkin, and that's a pretty solid outcome consideration. Although I did slightly change the framework in my earlier proposals being:

Atlanta-
Durant and Nurkic.

Phoenix-
Dejounte Murray/ Capela/ D Hunter/ Johnson or Griffin? PLUS picks: SAC 25' 1st ( 1-12 protected)/ ATL 26' 1st (SAS right to swap)/ ATL 28' 1st.

Post trade
Murray/Booker/ O'neale/ Hunter/ Capela.
Kolek/ Allen/ J Johnson/ Bol/ Huktpori (UDFA prospect).
Cooper (UDFA prospect) / Gordon/ Okogie/ J Johnson/ Q Post (UDFA prospect).

UDFA POOL
- Ta'lon Cooper (combo Guard).
- Quinton Post ( versatile two way 7 ft 4/5).
- Ariel Huktpori ( 7 ft 250 lb Capela 2.0).
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#357 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:23 am

Qwigglez wrote:Not a huge fan of Cole Anthony but I wouldn't be opposed to moving Beal for Cole Anthony AND Isaac. I would even take Ingles if the Magic wanted to include him in the deal, though I expect if the Magic didn't decline Ingles team option for 24/25 that they would prefer to keep him. Cole Anthony is only making $13 million next season, and Isaac's contract expires after next season as well. Suns would immediately shed a ton of salary while probably remaining somewhat competitive.

For sure the suns would likely take that deal just to get off of Beals' money and no trade clause. BUT would Beal accept going there? :dontknow:
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#358 » by Qwigglez » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:28 am

:lol: we trade KD for Murray and still have Beal?
I could see Beal for DeJounte Murray from the Suns side, but I don't think the Hawks would really consider it unless they just want a more traditional SG next to Trae Young. I suppose Beal plays at his best when he has a true PG on his team as well. Could we add Nurkic for Capela while we are at it though, :lol:
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#359 » by Qwigglez » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:31 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Not a huge fan of Cole Anthony but I wouldn't be opposed to moving Beal for Cole Anthony AND Isaac. I would even take Ingles if the Magic wanted to include him in the deal, though I expect if the Magic didn't decline Ingles team option for 24/25 that they would prefer to keep him. Cole Anthony is only making $13 million next season, and Isaac's contract expires after next season as well. Suns would immediately shed a ton of salary while probably remaining somewhat competitive.

For sure the suns would likely take that deal just to gfet off of Bals' money and no trade clause. BUT would Beal accept going there? :dontknow:

Well he played college ball at Florida State so maybe..? I suppose both Atlanta and Orlando are about a 4-5 hour drive from Florida State, so maybe Beal would be fine returning to that side of the country.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#360 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:39 am

https://www.si.com/nba/2024/04/29/frank-vogel-suns-implosion-nba-insider

NBA Insider Suggests Frank Vogel May Not Be the Person Fired for Suns Implosion
Vogel may not have been the problem with the Suns.

RYAN PHILLIPS 2 HOURS AGO
The Phoenix Suns were unceremoniously swept by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the opening round of the NBA playoffs Sunday night. Questions surround the franchise's future, and they may not be easy to answer.

The Suns were arguably the NBA's biggest disappointment of the 2023-24 season, and someone will have to pay the price. NBA insider Chris Haynes isn't so sure coach Frank Vogel will be the scapegoat for the team's brutal postseason showing. Haynes joined the "Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz" on Monday and said Vogel likely wasn't the problem with the Suns and that the front office may instead shoulder the blame. Haynes said, "Frank Vogel wanted a point guard on that roster. And the front office believed bringing a point guard over would take the ball out of the hands of Bradley Beal, Devin Booker and Kevin Durant."

The relevant clip from the segment is below.
Read on Twitter

The Suns desperately needed a point guard to set the table for their three stars, but they also assembled a roster around three ball-dominant players. Durant will make $51.2 million next season, Beal will receive $50.2 million and Booker will make $49.4 million. On top of that, they owe Jusuf Nurkic $18.1 million and Grayson Allen $15.6 million. That's an incredibly top-heavy roster without having anyone to run the point. Phoenix was swept in the first round after finishing the regular season 49-33 in sixth place in the Western Conference. The Suns added Beal in the offseason, giving up a ton of draft capital to create their version of the Big Three, but he proceeded to struggle fitting in with his new teammates.

In 53 games during the 2023-24 campaign, Beal averaged 18.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game. That's a five-point drop to his per-game average from last year, and more than 13 points fewer than he averaged for Washington during the 2020-21 season. The 30-year-old set a career-high shooting 43.0% from three-point range, but there is only one ball to split between three volume scorers.

In Vogel's first season with the Suns, it doesn't seem as though he was the glaring problem. The roster was. No one could have won with this group given the issues that exist, and that's the fault of the front office. It's possible Vogel will take the fall for this season, but owner Mat Ishbia may have to clean house to get things right in Phoenix.

Return to Phoenix Suns