ImageImageImage

2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,584

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoff Quest for a Title 

Post#81 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#82 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:52 pm

Read on Twitter
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#83 » by spanishninja » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:58 pm

back when we signed IT, it was said that if we needed him to play major minutes, something is very wrong.

Yes, something is very wrong indeed.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#84 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:15 pm

spanishninja wrote:back when we signed IT, it was said that if we needed him to play major minutes, something is very wrong.

Yes, something is very wrong indeed.

IT has looked unplayable when he was on the court. It is desperate times indeed.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#85 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:15 pm

Read on Twitter

The New York knicks vultures are beginning to circle! And I gotta say that I'm not really that upset at the idea of a Durant to the knicks trade IF it returned us some of the assets and depth that we impulsively gave up so quickly. ALSO interesting and to Slims' point (suggestion) about a KD to OKC type trade, and along the lines of what I discussed too
, It's interesting that other people (even nba pundits are sharing a similarly premised perspective:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/kevin_durant_predicted_to_leave_phoenix_suns_after_season/s1_17149_40276626
Speaking on The Carton Show, he suggested that the Suns’ current roster makeup might not be optimal for Durant. Carton pointed out the New York Knicks and the Oklahoma City Thunder as potential landing spots for Durant, citing their abundant draft assets for potential trades. However, such a move could further complicate Kevin Durant’s legacy.

While joining the Knicks could bolster their bid for an NBA Finals appearance, returning to the Thunder could offer a sentimental conclusion to his career and perhaps provide a chance to enhance his legacy.

:nod:
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,642

Post#86 » by Revived » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:04 pm

Read on Twitter

When the Suns fire Vogel, would Redick make a good candidate here?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#87 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:10 pm

https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-bradley-beals-no-trade-clause-major-roadblock-future

Bradley Beal’s no-trade clause a major roadblock in Suns' future plans

Bradley Beal holds all of the cards.

By Preston Byers
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:10 AM MST

As was the case when he was traded by Washington, Beal has a no-trade clause, which means that he has considerable control over where he gets traded and for what or whom. Beal is the only player in the NBA to currently have a no-trade clause, and his was included in a highly criticized five-year, $251 million 2022 contract extension with the Wizards. A year after striking the deal, which was seen as a massive overpay at the time, Washington traded Beal.
Read on Twitter

Last offseason, Beal flirted with the Miami Heat, but the Heat reportedly insisted on Beal getting rid of his no-trade clause if he was traded to Miami. Beal apparently balked at that and ultimately found himself in Phoenix as part of a trade that included Chris Paul, No. 7 overall pick Bilal Coulibaly, and numerous future first-round pick swaps and second-round picks. On the latest episode of the Hoop Collective, NBA insiders Brian Windhorst and Tim Bontemps discussed the no-trade clause and how it could cause issues for the Suns moving forward.

“OK, you do the deal, but Beal keeping the no-trade [clause], because he had to waive the no-trade clause to do the deal, and what you'd want there is the no-trade clause to go away,” Windhorst said before Bontemps interjected.

“Which, by the way, he could say, ‘I will just eliminate it.' It was something that could have been done, it’s not like it wasn't possible. It was his right, he had it in his contract, but he kept it,” Bontemps said.

“Yeah, and look, I mean, I get it, he kept it for this exact reason,” Windhorst said. “If it didn’t work out, he didn’t want to lose it, I mean, no fault to him and good job by his agent. But that hamstrings them. I guess you could trade Jusuf Nurkic; he makes $18 million, but there's no value there.”
Spoiler:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/_9NQVpUGGlU?list=PLu1neCd4swuakibtwr6887z4D8YH3YUnK[/youtube]

(Brian Windhorst breaks down the suns reality going forward around 26:30 minutes in)!!

Basically Windhorst and others are saying that it was a very risky proposition going "all in" and trading our entire future away for a 35 yr old declining KD, and a underperforming Beal with a no trade clause too. This left us literally no depth at all, no assets to even make changes outside of maybe trading Durant to try and replenish depth, etc and run things back around Booker and Beal. He also mentions the possibility of trading Nurkic, BUT says Nurkic at $18 million likely has very little perceived value. :-?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#88 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,225

Post#89 » by Slim Charless » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:34 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

The New York knicks vultures are beginning to circle! And I gotta say that I'm not really that upset at the idea of a Durant to the knicks trade IF it returned us some of the assets and depth that we impulsively gave up so quickly. ALSO interesting and to Slims' point (suggestion) about a KD to OKC type trade, and along the lines of what I discussed too
, It's interesting that other people (even nba pundits are sharing a similarly premised perspective:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/kevin_durant_predicted_to_leave_phoenix_suns_after_season/s1_17149_40276626
Speaking on The Carton Show, he suggested that the Suns’ current roster makeup might not be optimal for Durant. Carton pointed out the New York Knicks and the Oklahoma City Thunder as potential landing spots for Durant, citing their abundant draft assets for potential trades. However, such a move could further complicate Kevin Durant’s legacy.

While joining the Knicks could bolster their bid for an NBA Finals appearance, returning to the Thunder could offer a sentimental conclusion to his career and perhaps provide a chance to enhance his legacy.

Thank you.

BW, this is what I've been trying to tell you for the past 6 months and you don't listen lol. A national syndicated guy saying it will hopefully make you realize it's a legit possibility.

OKC has always made the most sense. Going to NYC is okay, but that team belongs to Brunson. Durant going home and bringing them a chip would be huge for his legacy-which he cares about.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,225

Post#90 » by Slim Charless » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:42 pm

Giddey, btw is a great get for us as he essentially be our point and due to his size-and lack of shooting we can play him at the 3. Allows us to continue to start Beal and Booker, though I'd love to bring Beal off the bench and start Dort for his defense next to Book.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,798

Post#91 » by Qwigglez » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:21 pm

We'd have to steal Jalen Williams. Durant is old, but he's still putting up 28 points a game. Plus, the Thunder keeping Dort, gives them that on-ball defender that they would need in the playoffs against players like ANT.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,540

Post#92 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:42 pm

King4Day wrote:Since I don't expect us to trade Booker, the only chance to fix this is to use KD's value and find pieces that actually fit the team.
But I'm not sure who offers that.
Dejonte Murray? Doubt they do it.
Knicks probably offer a boat load of picks and Randle for KD but that won't turn us into title contenders.

I didn't think of Atlanta. They are desperate, but I don't think they have many picks given they traded 3 firsts for Murray.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#93 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:47 pm

King4Day wrote:
Stix wrote:
King4Day wrote:For those thinking Beal won't waive his NTC, I think he understands the hell this team is in. Unless he doesn't care about a good basketball situation anymore and just wants to be happy in life, I think if the right team came along, a team could bite.

Lol, who would want him? That contract is going to prevent any sort of deal. We are stuck. I’m applying to be converted to a Knicks fan for the next 3 years.

I still think Miami would deal for him for Robinson and Rozier or pieces like that for example. Detroit may.
Will we get much value or will it be easy? No. It's to get smaller contracts. But it's possible.

Yeah, I think Miami is a team that could do it if it's something like that. They always operate over the cap anyway. Robinson is a really bad contract.

Rozier has been horrible this season though, with a 53% TS%.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#94 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:48 pm

King4Day wrote:
garrick wrote:
King4Day wrote:
I have a friend who's a Nets fan. I remember when they traded everything to get KD and Peirce.
It was a terrible move then and set that franchise back. It is the reason Boston has Tatum and Brown as they are direct results from the Nets picks and while the Nets had a shot when they got KD and Kyrie, the C's look like they will get the last laugh from all of this.

That said, we have now done the same thing. We make a short-sighted trade that eliminates our future. I wasn't opposed to getting KD, but not at the expense it cost us.
If it doesn't work, we're a treadmill team for the next 7 years with nothing to show for it.
This is why trading KD now, while his value is still high (people can say it's not, but I assure you it is), is necessary....because it didn't work and we flamed out in the most spectacular way.

The thing is without a deep playoff run most teams are going to steer clear of KD and won't give up many assets for him. Is there another owner stupid enough to give up a boatload of picks and young talent for an aging and increasingly detached KD?

I really think NY will make a play for him. Brunson is their ball handler. KD can play the Randle role.
KD had a really good season but a lot went into why it appeared to just be numbers instead of impact on winning.
Defensively he was excellent and he can still have clutch games from time to time.

Yeah, NY makes sense because they have 8 tradable picks so even if they gave us 4, they'd still have 4. Some are fairly heavily protected from other teams though and one or two of their's convert to 2 seconds if not conveyed. I think it depends on how far NY gets.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#95 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:53 pm

King4Day wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
King4Day wrote:For those thinking Beal won't waive his NTC, I think he understands the hell this team is in. Unless he doesn't care about a good basketball situation anymore and just wants to be happy in life, I think if the right team came along, a team could bite.

He went to UnIversity of Florida. The Magic need a perimeter player with range badly. That would be the dream since they have tons of picks and young players. I'm guessing that's a pipe dream.

Durant will be the only one moving on, if we move on from any of them.

It'll be a conversation for the offseason but I believe Book and Beal can work together if it's a 'big 2'.
Using a KD trade to fill in the blanks.

Years later, we can move Booker to replenish picks if it comes to that. There's no urgency there.

And I don't want this to sound like it's all KD's fault because it's not.
But if Booker can be the guy to go to, to take the big shots, then we're screwed anyway.

KD for Randle and picks. That'd give us a PF who can handle the ball and shoot the 3 well. Picks to replenish the farm a bit (or use to make future trades).

I do wonder if there is any way to get Murray from the Hawks (in a KD type trade). But then we become a smaller team. Lots what what ifs.

I've had the same thought. I think if it was just any 2 of the big 3, it doesn't really matter which 2, they would both play better and be more motivated, getting more shots and less of them used to being high usage guys, main guys, watching the others.

And KD, even being the best player, makes the most sense for that reason given his age, likely trade value, etc.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#96 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:54 pm

matt131 wrote:I don't think I've ever had less fun watching basketball than I did this year. My wife straight up asked me if I even find the sport enjoyable anymore; I'm not sure I do at the moment.

I understand the risk/reward aspect of trades, but what I did not expect is to have the joy sucked out of my favorite sport.

At least you have the Chargers who are always fun to watch and NEVER disappoint you!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#97 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:59 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thank you.

BW, this is what I've been trying to tell you for the past 6 months and you don't listen lol. A national syndicated guy saying it will hopefully make you realize it's a legit possibility.

OKC has always made the most sense. Going to NYC is okay, but that team belongs to Brunson. Durant going home and bringing them a chip would be huge for his legacy-which he cares about.

I know your reasons. And of course people will speculate. I think Presti is a good GM and not so short sighted like Ishbia though and won't make a dumb mistake trading a picks, a young player and filler for a 36 year old KD. After all, KD screwed them by not telling them he was leaving and they basically got nothing for him. Thunder fans hate him. They booed him the entire time we played them.

I still don't see it because some blogger or radio talk guy said something.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#98 » by sunskerr » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:06 pm

Qwigglez wrote:We'd have to steal Jalen Williams. Durant is old, but he's still putting up 28 points a game. Plus, the Thunder keeping Dort, gives them that on-ball defender that they would need in the playoffs against players like ANT.

Too valuable. He's 22 averaging a shave under 19 ppg on 54% FG and 42% 3P, getting his own shots, running the offense, and defending very well. That's a star prospect the second he gets his own team. Love to have him but it's not happening.

Probably just get Giddey and see if he can grow into a future PG for us and then a 2nd prospect + whatever picks they agree to.

bwgood77 wrote:I know your reasons. And of course people will speculate. I think Presti is a good GM and not so short sighted like Ishbia though and won't make a dumb mistake trading a picks, a young player and filler for a 36 year old KD. After all, KD screwed them by not telling them he was leaving and they basically got nothing for him. Thunder fans hate him. They booed him the entire time we played them.

I still don't see it because some blogger or radio talk guy said something.

I think whatever we get for KD this offseason, if we trade him, is a decent approximation (key word approximation) of what his value actually was when we traded for him.

Just something to watch out for.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#99 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:15 pm

You all know the Suns this year though...just when we all think they suck and are doomed, they suddenly play great and we suddenly start feeling good...that's when we get another gut punch and they suck again.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,406

Post#100 » by sunskerr » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:18 pm

bwgood77 wrote:You all know the Suns this year though...just when we all think they suck and are doomed, they suddenly play great and we suddenly start feeling good...that's when we get another gut punch and they suck again.

That's what you feel in the moment. But you take a step back and you realize that's the hall mark of a team that is just 'ok' and not a contender.

Return to Phoenix Suns