ImageImageImage

NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 3: Minnesota T-Wolves @ Phoenix Suns l Friday l 7:30pm l ESPN

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,215

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 3: Minnesota T-Wolves @ Phoenix Suns l Friday l 7:30pm l ESPN 

Post#421 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:06 pm

Revived wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Puff wrote:I do not know if I can watch another game coached by Vogel.

That might actually be the right big move for them to make.

Has Vogel always been such a big "midrange" coach? Just thinking about the teams he's had success with, AD and LeBron live there a lot, and those Pacers teams had guys like Dvid West and Paul George.

I think that's one of the big things that did them in. In part without Grayson Allen for the series, Minnesota attempted 20 more 3-pointers in the series. For decades, Minnesota was way behind in the 3-point math, but Chris Finch turned that around. Phoenix has good (even great) three-point shooters in Durant, Booker and Beal but they just didn't take enough of them.

Our players are stubborn and always take the most inefficient shot in basketball (midrange).

Booker will pass up wide open 3s to take a heavy contested midrange at least 3-4x a game. KD same thing. I don’t know what the hell Beal be doing out there.

Just looking at career numbers....Beal should've been putting up 3s at Grayson's rate. 43% shooter but only put up 4 per game. Durant a career 39% shooter but has never averaged seven 3s a game. Booker probably was at or close to his peak volume/efficiency combo, though he could easily be doing more if he wanted to.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,989

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 3: Minnesota T-Wolves @ Phoenix Suns l Friday l 7:30pm l ESPN 

Post#422 » by TeamTragic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
Revived wrote:
Klomp wrote:That might actually be the right big move for them to make.

Has Vogel always been such a big "midrange" coach? Just thinking about the teams he's had success with, AD and LeBron live there a lot, and those Pacers teams had guys like Dvid West and Paul George.

I think that's one of the big things that did them in. In part without Grayson Allen for the series, Minnesota attempted 20 more 3-pointers in the series. For decades, Minnesota was way behind in the 3-point math, but Chris Finch turned that around. Phoenix has good (even great) three-point shooters in Durant, Booker and Beal but they just didn't take enough of them.

Our players are stubborn and always take the most inefficient shot in basketball (midrange).

Booker will pass up wide open 3s to take a heavy contested midrange at least 3-4x a game. KD same thing. I don’t know what the hell Beal be doing out there.

Just looking at career numbers....Beal should've been putting up 3s at Grayson's rate. 43% shooter but only put up 4 per game. Durant a career 39% shooter but has never averaged seven 3s a game. Booker probably was at or close to his peak volume/efficiency combo, though he could easily be doing more if he wanted to.

Young did say he wanted this team to take threes and play defense (not that I believe him).

Simple math would explain why this league takes more threes than twos but I guess we didn't get the memo.

Every playoff team in this league has a facilitator (point guard) but I guess we didn't get the memo.

Whoever is coming up with these dumb ideas needs to get a reality check. Looks like that did happen though :nod:
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#423 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:32 pm

Klomp wrote:
Revived wrote:
Klomp wrote:That might actually be the right big move for them to make.

26 meager 3pts attempts in an elimination game.

It was the same crap all season. A team literally put together to chuck - who wouldn't chuck. You can't NOT play defense especially PERIMETER defense and then trade midrange jumpers for 3's. Vogel let it happen because he couldn't stand up to the egos on the team who fancied themselves as the mid-range ISO maestros.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,215

Post#424 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:39 pm

enigmatics wrote:26 meager 3pts attempts in an elimination game.

It was the same crap all season. A team literally put together to chuck - who wouldn't chuck. You can't NOT play defense especially PERIMETER defense and then trade midrange jumpers for 3's. Vogel let it happen because he couldn't stand up to the egos on the team who fancied themselves as the mid-range ISO maestros.

Grayson Allen's injury changed the trajectory of the entire series.

There's a reason he averaged 19 ppg against Minnesota in the regular season when his season average was only 13 ppg.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#425 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:43 pm

Klomp wrote:
enigmatics wrote:26 meager 3pts attempts in an elimination game.

Grayson Allen's injury changed the trajectory of the entire series.

There's a reason he averaged 19 ppg against Minnesota in the regular season when his season average was only 13 ppg.

I'm not denying that. But that's also why they had Gordon on the roster. Their execution - especially in lieu of not having a point guard and NOT running more of the offense out of Nurkic on the high post - was simply put inexcusable.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#426 » by enigmatics » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:35 pm

Jesus - didn't realize it was the first sweep the Suns have suffered in over 30+ years.

Heads need to roll.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,731

Post#427 » by Revived » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:00 pm

Why is the game 3 thread the sticky’d one and not the game 4 one? Lol
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,861

Post#428 » by SkyBill40 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:01 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
TeamTragic wrote:
SkyBill40 wrote:How long after the series is over before Vogel is fired?

Well apparently Jones is safe and Vogel has "full support" which appears to signal that we are going to run it back :lol:

This season is the least games I’ve watched since 01 season and if they are indeed running back with same personnel I don’t think my heart can take 10 games next season. They play such a boring, bland type of ball that even middle school kids would refuse to watch. Feels like we have a bunch of Carmelo’s, JR Smith’s, Crawford’s & McGee’s on our team.

If they choose to ignorantly "run it back", we're beyond screwed. The team has NO depth and that was glaringly apparent. We absolutely NEED a starting point guard as the Booker and Beal experiment didn't cut it. We cannot afford to have another season of Vogel's ineptitude; he's lost the team and it's pretty obvious they're not wanting to play for him.

Return to Phoenix Suns