ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What WC and EC team are you pulling for in the 2nd round?

Mavs
2%
Nuggets
7%
Thunder
20%
Twolves
22%
Cavs
2%
Celtics
3%
Knicks
18%
Pacers
27%

Total votes: 60

BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,817

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#101 » by BobbieL » Thu May 2, 2024 1:17 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's exactly what I am thinking it will happen next week.

Pretty much what I think will happen
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,129

Post#102 » by sunsbg » Thu May 2, 2024 1:39 pm

What is the difference in trading KD now or at trade deadline if team underperforms again ? A pick less ? A desperate team may overpay at mid season like we did.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,295

Post#103 » by Frank Lee » Thu May 2, 2024 2:48 pm

The difference? We dont have to watch another episode of this ****show of a team. Heck, Book is the one that need to ask for a trade. Especially after that blowharding bunch of rahrah crap Wishbea spewed. That F-er is on a level of ego delusion saved for but a few. Has the phnx media been neutered ?

Any other starting player have more coaching, Gm, and owner changes in their first 10 yrs than Book? Get on with the inevitable DB… beat KD to the punch as you know he’ll rat scape this ship before long.

Im afraid we are stuck with this stink tank front office. And to hear them yesterday, im entering free agency. What a huckster the mad matter is
What ? Me Worry ?
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 329

Post#104 » by JKiddy » Thu May 2, 2024 3:05 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
JKiddy wrote:Flex from Jersey says Booker to BK for Cam Thomas, DFS, one pick return, and Simmons expiring someone said.

Is this what people in Phoenix are really hearing?

Reported for trolling.

Mods flush these POS trolls if they wanna post nonsense please. This wouldn't fly on other boards.

WTF? I am not trolling at all. I actually feel bad for you. The Suns are my Western Conference team. I have likely followed them longer than you have. Do not try to pull this crap on me.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,129

Post#105 » by sunsbg » Thu May 2, 2024 3:13 pm

KD trade put this team in tough situation, but he was not the one who did it. Booker had his best performance in the playoffs with KD on the team. Durant had good regular season and playoffs. Doubt Suns will be more watchable by getting rid of him. Bringing an offensive-minded, no 'ISO is best offense' coach will help a lot more. Booker has a lot to prove next season. Hopefully he realizes we need the aggressive Nuggets/last MIN game version of him. If not, I'm fine putting everybody on the trade market at the deadline.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,114

Post#106 » by garrick » Thu May 2, 2024 3:29 pm

I'm not a Stephen A Smith fan but he's absolutely correct.

The duo of JJ and Ishbia are delusional and refusing to acknowledge reality.

This is what happens when you refuse constructive criticism and think you can never do any wrong.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,817

Post#107 » by BobbieL » Thu May 2, 2024 3:37 pm

garrick wrote:

This is what happens when you refuse constructive criticism and think you can never do any wrong.

Ishbia and Jones made a lot of interesting comments yesterday but besides the one about coaching never maximizing Durant - I thought Ishbia saying "the starting 5 will be back" was among the dumbest

Even if you win an an NBA title - you don't say that. You always have to try to improve the team.

As for Booker to the Knicks - if it helps the Suns - I am all for it. Personally, I think its Durant to Miami that could be discussed.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,541

Post#108 » by Stix » Thu May 2, 2024 3:45 pm

I really don't think we should retread on coaches. (ty lue, doc rivs, and the like...) Need one of those unknown names that is motivated to win. No one knew who Nick Nurse was before he started winning.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,956

Post#109 » by Saberestar » Thu May 2, 2024 3:54 pm

garrick wrote:

Yeah, I agree with everything that Stephen A Smith said on this video.

Ishbia and James Jones DIDN'T NEED to make a press conference at all. They didn't need to say nothing, just some letter on X would have been enough for the fans.

But they wanted to make that press conference and they said some unprofessional comments.

NO WAY you can guarantee at this early that your starting five will be back next year after a swept in the first round ...that comment is false or dumb.

Or that statement about Book being a Suns player for the next 10 years. And the list goes on and on...

Hopefully it's all free talk and changes will be made because this team underperformed badly, no doubt about it.

First and foremost I want a coaching change.
I gave Frank Vogel a full year and my conclusion is that I don't want him back next year. He can go with Drew "best backup C in the world" Eubanks to another franchise.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,776

Post#110 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 2, 2024 3:55 pm

sunsbg wrote:Firing Vogel and getting Lue would be a good start of the offseason.

Sounds like the plan is to trade the pick, so on draft day we'll know if they bring back same SL or actually try to fix it.

Oh I have no doubts he'll be dumb enough to trade the pick! I'm just not sure ( in reality) what valuable impact contributor he's thinking we'll get for a semi late first in a widely percieved shallow draft devoid of star talent. And what makes this even worse is our situation with no cap flexibility and not having any draft pick, youth development, or young talented prospects for 5 years now, and none too going forward for the coming 8 years, 9 if he trades the 2031 pick too.

I've honestly never seen such extreme ego driven negligence where someone thinks that just because they are rich, they're always right and just ignore the glaring reality as things play out right in front of them. Jones set our franchise back 7 years with this arrogant mentality! And now this bigger idiot is going to set our franchise back even further, in the coming decade with no picks, no developing talent secured on our roster, and once our big three is done and reality finally sets in, Book will be fed up and ask out if not much sooner.

And we'll really be starting at absolute zero at the very bottom, but with other teams owning our future ( picks) and profiting off of our misery while we have no way to bring talent here and convince players to sign with our laughingstock of a team. :-?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,643

Post#111 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu May 2, 2024 4:14 pm

BobbieL wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's exactly what I am thinking it will happen next week.

Pretty much what I think will happen

I feel like saber will be devastated when that doesn’t happen next week and Suns decide to hire Isiah Thomas as their next head coach ruining our team for another decade. :lol:
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,114

Post#112 » by garrick » Thu May 2, 2024 4:25 pm

Saberestar wrote:
garrick wrote:

Yeah, I agree with everything that Stephen A Smith said on this video.

Ishbia and James Jones DIDN'T NEED to make a press conference at all. They didn't need to say nothing, just some letter on X would have been enough for the fans.

But they wanted to make that press conference and they said some unprofessional comments.

NO WAY you can guarantee at this early that your starting five will be back next year after a swept in the first round ...that comment is false or dumb.

Or that statement about Book being a Suns player for the next 10 years. And the list goes on and on...

Hopefully it's all free talk and changes will be made because this team underperformed badly, no doubt about it.

First and foremost I want a coaching change.
I gave Frank Vogel a full year and my conclusion is that I don't want him back next year. He can go with Drew "best backup C in the world" Eubanks to another franchise.

I'm sure they're hearing all the negative talk about the Suns sweep and they felt like they had to justify themselves to the public like they aren't totally clueless or over their heads and that they actually have a solid plan in place.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 329

Post#113 » by JKiddy » Thu May 2, 2024 4:50 pm

I would work on trading Beal first. See if you can pay him to leave. Send him to Miami and try to just get Herro back and give up a 2nd and Beal to see if they would bite.

If he won't move I think KD has to be moved and just get as much as humanly possible for him and build around Book with a youth movement and one solid vet other than Nurkic. Get a PG who sets people up and I think this can be salvageable. But, I would move Beal now.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,004

Post#114 » by TeamTragic » Thu May 2, 2024 4:52 pm

JKiddy wrote:I would work on trading Beal first. See if you can pay him to leave. Send him to Miami and try to just get Herro back and give up a 2nd and Beal to see if they would bite.

If he won't move I think KD has to be moved and just get as much as humanly possible for him and build around Book with a youth movement and one solid vet other than Nurkic. Get a PG who sets people up and I think this can be salvageable. But, I would move Beal now.

Dude Booker is NOT that guy :lol:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,776

Post#115 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 2, 2024 4:56 pm

https://sportsnaut.com/mat-ishbia-nba-gms-are-jealous-of-the-phoenix-suns/

Owner Mat Ishbia thinks other NBA GMs are jealous of the Phoenix Suns
Andrew Buller-Russ
Updated: May 2, 2024

The Phoenix Suns are just days removed from getting swept in their first-round Western Conference NBA Playoffs matchup with the Minnesota Timberwolves. It’s the first time the Suns have been swept since 1999. Needless to say, this was not an expected outcome for a team that went all-in before the season began, pairing together three All-Star talents who some say are all projected to reach the Hall of Fame when their basketball careers are over.

After winning 49 games, the Suns showed they were plenty capable, but after mortgaging their future to the point where Phoenix doesn’t have a single tradeable first-round pick until 2030, this feels like a team that’s largely stuck with what they have.

But again, they did earn the sixth seed in a loaded Western Conference, are the Suns really as bad as they looked against the Timberwolves? According to Suns team owner Mat Ishbia, other teams should be envious of Phoenix’s current franchise outlook.

“Ask the other 29 GMs— 26 of them would trade their whole team for our whole team and our draft picks and everything as is. The house is not on fire. We’re in a great position. It’s not hard to fix. It’s not like we’re like, ‘Hey, we don’t have enough talent to win a championship.’ We have enough talent to win a championship.”
Phoenix Suns owner Matt Ishbia

Ishbia has also indicated that he doesn’t think Phoenix is facing a “blow-it-up” scenario, indicating that the front office hasn’t even had conversations about moving on from head coach Frank Vogel or their star trio.

GMs may not be jealous of the Suns’ position right now, but you can bet some would love to add Kevin Durant or Devin Booker to their roster, but based on Ishbia’s comments, neither player is expected to be available.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,100

Post#116 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu May 2, 2024 5:02 pm

I don't fault James Jones. He's loyal. He echoed Sarver when he needed to; now he's echoing Ishbia. I think he's a great professional, a good communicator, a glue guy who also doesn't shy away from responsibility and leadership. It's always hard to tell from the outside how talented FO people are at talent evaluation, because nothing is really just his call alone.

The FO screwed up with Eubanks in several respects. With the PT he was given this season, and given how badly he stunk, I wondered if he was guaranteed his minutes. I've never heard anyone assign responsibility for the tampering there, which resulted in losing a SRP. Huge L. No accountability that I'm aware of.

This press conference caused me to abandon what hope I had remaining for Matt Ishbia. An awful lot of bluster. The way Suns reddit reacted - all praise for Ishbia! - made me wonder if they'd hired a bunch of bots to bolster public perception. OR, I guess, they could just be a bunch of idiots. Many were telling those of us who want to trade Booker to surrender their fandom. I want to win and enjoy watching the games. Watching Booker become Sisyphus won't be good for him or the franchise.

The only thing that needed to be done at the press conference, and what still needs to be done, and what clearly won't happen, is Ishbia saying he screwed this up. Instead he doubled down like a clown. OK, I guess. It's his money. And his L's.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#117 » by King4Day » Thu May 2, 2024 5:03 pm

sunsbg wrote:What is the difference in trading KD now or at trade deadline if team underperforms again ? A pick less ? A desperate team may overpay at mid season like we did.

Part will depend on how he's playing.
Mid-Season, the team you are trading him to needs to believe they are a KD away from winning that season.
I don't believe any Suns fan truly felt we were winning it all last year after the trade. Especially with the depth we got rid of.

I would say it's a significant loss in value. Teams want to start at the beginning of the season to build chemistry. I wouldn't be surprised if Ishbia makes the mistake of extending him, making it even harder to trade him (nobody is taking on 60mil for KD at age 38).

His current value is good. Extending him makes him a bad contract.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,321

Post#118 » by enigmatics » Thu May 2, 2024 5:44 pm

1. They need a new coach
2. They need a PG - ESPECIALLY if they want Booker to get back to doing what he does best
3. They need a legitimate 4 and move KD to the 3 spot
4. They need a legitimate rim running backup big man
5. They need to dig under every crack and crevice to round out the bench

I don't even know how to accomplish a lot of that without moving Grayson Allen and one of the Big 3.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,004

Post#119 » by TeamTragic » Thu May 2, 2024 6:19 pm

enigmatics wrote:1. They need a new coach
2. They need a PG - ESPECIALLY if they want Booker to get back to doing what he does best
3. They need a legitimate 4 and move KD to the 3 spot
4. They need a legitimate rim running backup big man
5. They to dig under every crack and crevice to round out the bench

I don't even know how to accomplish a lot of that without moving Grayson Allen and one of the Big 3.

Ishbia/Jones are just posturing because they have nothing better to do after being swept. No reason for them to come out and reveal their plans when they are cutting backroom deals.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#120 » by Slim Charless » Thu May 2, 2024 6:24 pm

King4Day wrote:
sunsbg wrote:What is the difference in trading KD now or at trade deadline if team underperforms again ? A pick less ? A desperate team may overpay at mid season like we did.

Part will depend on how he's playing.
Mid-Season, the team you are trading him to needs to believe they are a KD away from winning that season.
I don't believe any Suns fan truly felt we were winning it all last year after the trade. Especially with the depth we got rid of.

I would say it's a significant loss in value. Teams want to start at the beginning of the season to build chemistry. I wouldn't be surprised if Ishbia makes the mistake of extending him, making it even harder to trade him (nobody is taking on 60mil for KD at age 38).

His current value is good. Extending him makes him a bad contract.

If we're moving KD we have to do it now IMO. We got increasingly lucky with his health, he hasn't missed these few amount of games since he played on the Dubs. I don't think he'll be this healthy again next season.

We need to strike while we on him....or we move Booker and get another star player to take over when KD (and Beal) miss games. I'm hoping Beal is healthier next season, he had an amazing string of bad luck this yr.

Return to Phoenix Suns