Another way to look at trades ...

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Another way to look at trades ... 

Post#1 » by JohnVancouver » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:23 pm

Instead of posting a proposed trade, let's go this way -

Milwaukee is said to be thinking about a wholesale remake of the team, Bobcats have demoted Reddick, Damon Stoudamire is now on the bench and wants a trade ...

I see our needs as a defensive, rebounding big and a true point guard to spell Nash.

On the teams that are foundering, and of the guys who now seem moveable, who would you go after and what could we live with giving up?

I'm not thinking blockbusters or blowing up the Suns roster, just extra pieces we're missing.

Ideas?
ma_falaa_50
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#2 » by ma_falaa_50 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:52 pm

the thing is trading for this phx suns team is going to be hard because the best players that have a high trading value are in our core. outside fo that Phx has large contracts and small contracts in both extremes which makes it hard to find a quality player in exchange. For example, We have DIaw at 9 but phx can only get 4.5 million in player slary back. Marcus is on the bench getting 4 million but no one will trade for him unless Phx includes atlanta's pick.

I think Standing pat is fine as long as the suns continue to play with effort and energy.

gut check time suckas!
-SDU-
RealGM
And1: 30
Location: -SDU-'s hitlist - David Stern, Robert Horry, Stu Jackson, Tim Donaghy, Argentina, Doomsdayers

Post#3 » by -SDU- » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:24 pm

the bobcats demoted reddick? i didnt know they had that sort of power over the magics rotation?? ;-)

whilst we need a true PG to spell nash, i think we have a good bench PG in banks

for some reason i think the suns would favour a big PG to run the point in the spells, like salmons, jaric etc. (WTH we dont give it to hill and leave barbs at SG i dont know)

dantoni has said before that he cant go too deep because "the top 7 need their minutes" etc, so i would be skeptical that a new guy would crack the rotation especially given the talent (banks tucker strawbs) that doesnt get off our bench

our 3 point shooting is WAY off and nowhere near the threat is was, so the best chance of a player playing is if they are tall, can shoot the 3, play SG and PG and are a vet

mike miller seems the perfect fit, but he isnt going anywhere :-(
eastsidecrossover
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#4 » by eastsidecrossover » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:05 am

DA and the FO put this team in this position. I think this team needs to do something before the trading deadline. The problem is the people I just stated. This team is soooo close, they will not bite the bullet for one year for lux tax and go and get what this team needs. DA on the other hand has to run his 7 guys into the ground before the playoffs even start. Its not even half way through the season and he has not tried to go deeper into the bench. Down the stretch, and into the playoffs is when you tighten up your rotation, not in December. This is the suns problem. And I honestly do not think they are going to win it by standing pat. I also see this will be our last year for this core to stick together.

I do not mind giving up a core guy to get multiple solid contributors. I thought Banks did a good job against the sonics in spell of nash and an out of control barbosa as the point.
-SDU-
RealGM
Location: -SDU-'s hitlist - David Stern, Robert Horry, Stu Jackson, Tim Donaghy, Argentina, Doomsdayers

Post#5 » by -SDU- » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:14 am

banks needs more minutes!
-SDU-
RealGM

Post#6 » by -SDU- » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:17 am

i REALLY want to hear dantoni say why we wont play banks? honestly, the guy is a MAJOR talent, not some scrub, he plays great 1 on 1 defense, he can shoot more, drive and score well, and at LEAST is worth 10 regular minutes per game

i guarantee, you send him to sacto, miami, cleveland, clippers etc, he averages at least 12-15ppg, th guy MUST get more time

dantoni says he wont change his rotation till march if things are still wrong there, but this is the time to test your rotation

play banks god dammit!
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#7 » by JohnVancouver » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:35 am

[quote="-SDU-"]the bobcats demoted reddick? i didnt know they had that sort of power over the magics rotation?? ;-)

Errr - that's an excellent point ....

I can only say that I am full of cold pills and neo-citron battleing a hellacious flu thing.

But - yes, Miller would be great.
Actually, so would either Strawbs or Tucker, and banks looked decent tonight against the Hornets.
Hope you all enjoyed his play - we probably won't see him for another three months
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,411

Post#8 » by mkot » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:43 am

We don't need a trade. We just need to work in Banks, and give Skinner more minutes. Make it happen, Coach.
Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,411

Post#9 » by mkot » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:59 am

-SDU- wrote:
play banks god dammit!

I'm on the play Banks bandwagon as well. Last year, Coach had every right to bench him. This year I think he is playing much better (even if the stats don't show it) and if he got consistent minutes, even if they weren't alot to start with, I believe he would show alot of improvement and become a much better asset to the team.
Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#10 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:23 am

I'm close to being on the Diaw bandwagon too. I think we are finally close to fine tuning his role in this team and I've been encouraged by his last few performances.

I think we saw last game a perfect example of how we need to play Banks and that's basically as Bell replacement. He does need a short leash in terms of not letting him run the offense but the guy can defend and shoot and is one of (if not the) strongest guard we've got. If you can't find a way to use players with those characteristics then I dunno what to say.

Return to Phoenix Suns