UFC 257: McNugget Vs Poirier + Hooker vs Chandler

Moderator: lilfishi22

canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,031

Re: UFC 257: McNugget Vs Poirier + Hooker vs Chandler 

Post#61 » by canz55 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:36 am

Conor's mystique is now officially gone.

It's a shame because he was able to maintain this irresistible tour-de-force image for so so long that captured the imagination of millions of people like myself and brought us into the sport.

Now; Conor is just another showpiece character in the ever evolving UFC drama. It's a massive fall from grace that he lost tonight.

Bookies are counting their winnings around the world right now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
ImageWe the Champs...
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,313

Post#62 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:52 am

I don’t think this is it for Mcgregor. He very well could come right back and win the third fight in a trilogy with Poirier and fans/media will eat it up if/when he does (not saying he will, but just that it’s possible). Someone said he’s finally lost his mystique but I don’t think so. People said that after he lost to Diaz, and then after he lost to Khabib (and maybe after he lost to Mayweather as well). Whatever he does next and whoever he faces next will be the next chapter in the compelling story of Conor Mcgregor.

Great showing by Dustin though. Wow.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,318

Post#63 » by jakecronus8 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:58 am

I don’t see the point in Conor returning to UFC. The payouts are pennies in comparison to what he makes in his other ventures. Leave with your health.
Do it for Chuck
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#64 » by Headliner » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:06 pm

Would have liked to see Connor win just for the entertainment value, but oh well.

Conor just looked too Heavy and too much of a boxer.
He’s added so much weight so he could be competitive at 170 that he’s become too slow for 155, too big for 145 and too small for 170.
If he wants to be relevant again it’s back to 145 but if I were him I’d chill on my wealth.

Also this is what? His second fight in 2-3 years, and it’s against an active killer like Dustin. Super tough fight.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#65 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:54 pm

Reeko wrote:That's it for Conor as an elite fighter. Once I saw him try to fight in the pocket like a boxer, I knew it was a bad sign. What made him special was that in and out karate style where he was able to exploit guys as they were coming in.

Yeah, I think this is it. His best attribute boxing-wise is his ability to move into the pocket with speed and angles. Lead lefts, lead rigth upper cuts, followed by the opposite hand. He did that effectively against Dustin. But Dustin was able to roll all of the power off; Dustin knew all the angles at which those punches were arriving, and even if they connected, he turned his head away to take off the sting. Meanwhile, Conor would land but not move back out of the pocket. He would remain right there, planted to the floor in Dustin's range. I think he was expecting Dustin to have to cower and move backwards, Conor able to close the distance again. But, when Dustin didn't do that, Conor would lose the distance he needed.

Without that distance, he looked like ****. Dustin landed good counters after olling and once Mac was moved with his back against the fence, that was it. He had no pocket boxing. Especially with the arm punches that Dustin throws.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#66 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:00 pm

A major factor with regard Conor continuing is that there is no one but strikers at 145-155. Meaning, the brain punishment is guaranteed. Another fight with Nate would be brutal, it would basically have to go 25 minutes. Cos slim chance Conor is KOing him. Does he need that? To throw an extra 8 million on the Proper 12 pile? He still has avenues to make another 100 million without ever taking another slap.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,909

Post#67 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:19 pm

Conor needs to do like DC did last night when he was hyping the upcoming Stipe fight. DC was completely comfortable acknowledging that he lost to the better fighter. If Conor says "you know what, for a time i was the best p4p fighter in the world, i did things nobody else has ever done (like 2 belts) but the reality is that i've lost my edge and there are other fighters out there who are better than me, so I'm going to walk away and pursue being a badass in business" then I think everybody stands up and cheers for him and he rides off into whatever with everyone's respect. But if he keeps saying he's the baddest dude and that he will beat Dustin and Khabib and other contenders if he just gets another chance then he'll just end up looking like a fool.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#69 » by Dupp » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:42 am

So Conor doesn’t really deal with adversity at a top tier level. His calf was done in the second round and that’s basically all it took.

He’s had one war with Diaz and Khabib just wanted to beat him up. He would have lost in round 2 of that too if Khabib wanted it.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#70 » by Dupp » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:43 am

Dustins the best fighter in the division too.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#71 » by Dupp » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 am

UFC also wastes a year of Conor last year. Putting him against cowboy was beyond dumb. Did nothin for him or the division.

And Conor shouldn’t be ranked high as a lightweight Either. So stupid.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#72 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:04 am

Dupp wrote:UFC also wastes a year of Conor last year. Putting him against cowboy was beyond dumb. Did nothin for him or the division.

And Conor shouldn’t be ranked high as a lightweight Either. So stupid.

It is funny to think how the UFC's reticence to pay-up so that Conor could have fights in 2020 led to an obvious decrease in his ability to compete...and, in the end, might mean a loss of Conor as an asset.

They should have kept him busy.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Headliner » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 pm

I really hope this squashes the Manny Vs Connor idea.

I also hope Conor drops to 145 again, but I doubt it’s in the cards and possible now, he’s been bulking so hard to make a run at 170 he’s screwed himself.

It’s a shame he didn’t stay at 145 longer. He was impressive there and KO’d the 145 goat in Aldo, and beat the other 145 Goat candidate in Max early in his career.
If I were him I’d try for one more run there just to cement a legacy in one division.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,935

Post#74 » by Jasen777 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:37 am

Headliner wrote:I really hope this squashes the Manny Vs Connor idea.

I also hope Conor drops to 145 again, but I doubt it’s in the cards and possible now, he’s been bulking so hard to make a run at 170 he’s screwed himself.

It’s a shame he didn’t stay at 145 longer. He was impressive there and KO’d the 145 goat in Aldo, and beat the other 145 Goat candidate in Max early in his career.
If I were him I’d try for one more run there just to cement a legacy in one division.

I think he was pushing things getting to 145 in the first place. He might couldn't do at this age even without any extra bulk he's put on.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Headliner » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:17 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
Headliner wrote:I really hope this squashes the Manny Vs Connor idea.

I think he was pushing things getting to 145 in the first place. He might couldn't do at this age even without any extra bulk he's put on.

For sure. He looked like Christian Bale in the Machinist when he was weighing at 145, completely unrecognizable. Shame he couldn't have made a bit more of a run there, because he really was impressive in that division. Aldo (Goat candidate at the time), Dustin, Max Halloway, Mendes, Brandao, Brimage and Siver. That's really a strong run of names, even if Max wasn't really Max at that time, his name still goes there, and Aldo's name was bigger then than it is now. He run that group with very little, to any adversity. Mendes probably gave him the toughest time.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,977

Post#76 » by jc23 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Conor was awesome during his peak, i think he has had a foot out of the game since that Mayweather payday.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Headliner » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:34 pm

jc23 wrote:Conor was awesome during his peak, i think he has had a foot out of the game since that Mayweather payday.

For sure.
This is a hungry mans sport, I can't imagine how you stay motivated with 100 Million dollars in the bank.

He also tasted the payday of boxing and believed that he could transition and his training changed to fight like a boxer.

Conor was springy and awkward and quick. Now his arms look like tree trunks, and he's plodding down and trying to strictly box. He's going to get his leg destroyed in every fight from now on.
He really should just retire, but I think he'll want to ride out this contract so he has the freedom to compete in the future.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,802

Post#78 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:25 am

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts