Back Alley brawl: Zion vs McGregor who wins?

Moderator: lilfishi22

Who wins the fight? Zion or McGregor

Zion in KO
25%
McGregor in KO
75%

Total votes: 658

Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,681

Re: Back Alley brawl: Zion vs McGregor who wins? 

Post#1021 » by Jkam31 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:45 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
M4P wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
I seriously doubt that you have even remotely an inkling of a clue how much experience and skill matters in any environment. :roll:

Lol? Let's hear it then. Do you even train? There's a reason why guys like Ngannou, early Jones, and Nick Rodriguez dominate without much time on the mats. Athleticism matters. Size matters. A blue belt Zion is ragdolling most black belt hobbyist bjj players and would wreck most amateur mma competitors at his weight. Conor at 5'9, 180 is getting taken out by a blue belt Zion.

That's great but Zion Williams doesn't have a blue belt. You're saying that if Zion Williams knew how to fight he could beat a fighter...but he doesn't know how to fight. Blue belt these days takes like two years to get at a good school, not exactly something you can learn overnight. A year at best if his sensei isn't a stiffler about promotions and he trains a ton a week.

As for your example - Ngannou doesn't dominate people on the floor and has never been a good jiu jitsu guy. Unless if you meant by mat you did not mean grappling, in which case Ngannou had a boxing background before he transferred over into MMA, and actually he lost very early in his career simply because he lacked experience.

Jon Jones and Nick Rodriguez had wrestling backgrounds before crossing over into MMA and Sub Wrestling. Several years of wrestling is essentially a high level belt in a martial art.

Zion Williams has a few basketball games in the NCAA and NBA. Not exactly comparable. Yes, if Zion had two years of training he'd be pretty good, but you're still underestimating how long it takes for guys to get good at fighting. There are pro NFL players who have decent careers in MMA but only really become decent after they had a few years and their reputation protected by good booking. Even then none of them have ever been that close to dominant or a serious contender.

You’re taking these fools too seriously my man and I’m pretty sure Jon Jones had a scholarship for wrestling
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#1022 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:02 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
raylewis wrote:if your name is zion(israel) im sure you have lots of fights done in grade school,high school

Haha ya Im sure at the rough halls of Spartanburg Day Private School the kids were picking fights with Zion left and right...

Don’t you think that Zion would have a shot though if he just bum rushed and tackled Connor and got him on the mat? He could use all of his body on Connor and nail him...

With no training? No.

Bum rushing just wouldnt work. These guys work angles all day long. But lets say he does get Conor to the ground. Conor would get to full guard immediately. That would be beyond easy for him to do against someone who has never trained grappling. Then Zion would also have no clue where to put his head or arms at. Zion most likely wont keep his arms tucked and inside, which would give Conor a super easy target to grab an arm and snap it.

I know Conor isnt known for his BJJ, but he has been training it for 12+ years and has a brown belt. If you don't have proper arm placement when on top against a brown belt, you're done immediately. And it doesnt matter how big or strong you are, if you dont have any kind of defensive training to get out of armbars, youre going to panic and tap instantly.

I dont care if Zion has 100-110 pounds on Connor, he would not want to go to the mat vs a brown belt BJJ guy. Nothing good will come from that. He has a much better chance landing a prayer haymaker standing up.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,238

Post#1023 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:18 pm

Zion would maul him inside of 30 seconds.

I understand the respect you have to pay towards a professional fighter, but come on......

McGregor is an extremely tiny and weak man, in a relative sense.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#1024 » by Danny1616 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:20 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Haha ya Im sure at the rough halls of Spartanburg Day Private School the kids were picking fights with Zion left and right...

Don’t you think that Zion would have a shot though if he just bum rushed and tackled Connor and got him on the mat? He could use all of his body on Connor and nail him...

With no training? No.

Bum rushing just wouldnt work. These guys work angles all day long. But lets say he does get Conor to the ground. Conor would get to full guard immediately. That would be beyond easy for him to do against someone who has never trained grappling. Then Zion would also have no clue where to put his head or arms at. Zion most likely wont keep his arms tucked and inside, which would give Conor a super easy target to grab an arm and snap it.

I know Conor isnt known for his BJJ, but he has been training it for 12+ years and has a brown belt. If you don't have proper arm placement when on top against a brown belt, you're done immediately. And it doesnt matter how big or strong you are, if you dont have any kind of defensive training to get out of armbars, youre going to panic and tap instantly.

I dont care if Zion has 100-110 pounds on Connor, he would not want to go to the mat vs a brown belt BJJ guy. Nothing good will come from that. He has a much better chance landing a prayer haymaker standing up.

Yes exactly, lol.

People act like Conor isn't good on the ground. He may not be as good as some of the elite grapplers on the ground, but his main coach has a 3rd degree BJJ black belt and as you said, Conor has been training under him and others for 12+ years. Conor would **** up the average person who has no training in grappling, it wouldn't even be fair.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#1025 » by Pg81 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:33 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Zion would maul him inside of 30 seconds.

I understand the respect you have to pay towards a professional fighter, but come on......

:crazy:
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,266

Post#1026 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:41 pm

Again, **** zion
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,401

Post#1027 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:00 pm

Relative to who? He's average size relatively speaking. Like 5-9 175lb except he's pretty much solid muscle and has actually gotten quite a bit stronger in recent years as he started fighting at higher weight classes and needed to add more musclel. Obviously relative to Zion he's small and not nearly as strong but tiny and weak is just blatant nonsense.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#1028 » by Dupp » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:05 pm

50 page thread. Really speaks to the intelligence level of this board.
Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,208

Post#1029 » by Wagonband » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:12 pm

The fight only ends for Zion inside 30s if Conor doesn't know Zion wants to attack him and he gets smacked on the back of the head
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,515

Post#1030 » by og15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:18 pm

BlackNoir wrote:
KungFuJoe wrote:There is zero chance Zion wins. First of all...you're not even considering the mental game. I don't care how big you are...NO ONE WANTS TO GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.

Someone with no fighting experience is going to be **** bricks and either just covering up and praying they don't get hurt, or flailing away like Nate against that youtuber and getting KTFO.

Size matters, but only if you have some skill to back it up. If size mattered THAT much, then Bob Sapp wouldn't be something like 10 and 20 or whatever and would have dominated MMA. He's 6'6" THREE FIFTY and had training...and still got beat by lesser guys.

Zion is my favorite player and I hate Connor...but he absolutely destroys Zion.

By your logic Conor could kick a Gorilla/Bull/Elephants ass as well, tHey DonT HavE FiGhT tRaiNing

I had to quote this because it seems like you are on a roll with pretty bad analogies.

A bull weights almost 3000 pounds and is a wild animal with horns. A gorilla weighs around 300-400 lbs, has a different body composition to humans, would also bite you and is a wild animal. At the SMALL end, a male elephant is like 5000 lbs and over 10,000 at the upper end, why do you think this comparison makes ANY sense?

Dude, is this serious? You would massively fail any sort of debate or logic/reasoning class with this type of argumentation.
primecougar
Starter
And1: 928

Post#1031 » by primecougar » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:24 pm

Can jon jones 6-4 84 inch reach beat chris paul in a basketball game, how about isiah thomas?

Jones has elite athelscim, his brothers are in the nfl. He's taller and weighs more
#1 pick wrote:MJ wasn't more skilled than Lebron. Quite the opposite to be honest.
primecougar
Starter
And1: 928

Post#1032 » by primecougar » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 pm

M4P wrote:Conor would win against a completely untrained Zion (right now). If Zion spent a couple of months learning basic wrestling takedowns and defense however, he would easily smash Conor.

Greg Hardy is basically a smaller Zion and he's doing great for someone that just picked up the sport (MMA).

Lol dudes in the ufc train for years and can be barely stuff takedowns in a fight but zion will pick it up in a couple of months

Greg is a pretty athletic guy himself and has been training for 2+ years and is been taking fighting seriously. Even still, Greg hardy fights tomato cans and lost when he faced a fringe top 15 guy as soon as it hit the ground.
This is in the heavyweight division where competition is lacking and everyone has a chance because of punchers chance.

Zion won't land anything on a pro fighter.
I swear realgm thinks nba players are some super atheltes. When the 2012 olympics were happening, there was a debate that a group of nba players can win gold in volleyball
#1 pick wrote:MJ wasn't more skilled than Lebron. Quite the opposite to be honest.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,515

Post#1033 » by og15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:43 pm

primecougar wrote:
M4P wrote:Conor would win against a completely untrained Zion (right now). If Zion spent a couple of months learning basic wrestling takedowns and defense however, he would easily smash Conor.

Greg Hardy is basically a smaller Zion and he's doing great for someone that just picked up the sport (MMA).

Lol dudes in the ufc train for years and can be barely stuff takedowns in a fight but zion will pick it up in a couple of months

Greg is a pretty athletic guy himself and has been training for 2+ years and is been taking fighting seriously. Even still, Greg hardy fights tomato cans and lost when he faced a fringe top 15 guy as soon as it hit the ground.
This is in the heavyweight division where competition is lacking and everyone has a chance because of punchers chance.

I swear realgm thinks nba players are some super atheltes. When the 2012 olympics were happening, there was a debate that a group of nba players can win gold in volleyball

:lol: :lol: :lol: some people are such single sport athletes that they seem to think one can just be elite at a sport without serious work. Some are probably also just too young to reason well.

There's a difference between being able to pick up a sport and beat the average person and being able to perform at any high or elite level.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#1034 » by Pg81 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:48 pm

M4P wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
M4P wrote:Lol? Let's hear it then. Do you even train? There's a reason why guys like Ngannou, early Jones, and Nick Rodriguez dominate without much time on the mats. Athleticism matters. Size matters. A blue belt Zion is ragdolling most black belt hobbyist bjj players and would wreck most amateur mma competitors at his weight. Conor at 5'9, 180 is getting taken out by a blue belt Zion.

Do you even read your own posts? You proclaimed that Zion with only a couple of months, or in other words 2 months training, would destroy McGregor. Now you say he would destroy hobbyists and amateurs with something like 1-2 years training. You are so inconsistent in your arguments that it is not even funny. McGregor has HUGE amount of experience and skill compared to Zion. Even if Zion trains for a couple of years he won`t win easily. Hell he might not even have that much talent for combat sports. Your original post was about silly as me proclaiming that any 7 footer aged 20/21 with two months training could compete in the NBA against any of the top 15 players in the league. The notion is so absurd it is not even funny. What is more this hypothetical does not even have rules. You know why combat sports have rules? So they do not kill each other.
Does weight class matter? Of course AMONG PROFESSIONALS!
So you don't even train, read any of my previous posts, or have any actual experience in combat sports. Got it, next.

So you have no arguments apart from personal attacks. Good to know. :lol:
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,455

Post#1035 » by zimpy27 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:52 pm

Dupp wrote:50 page thread. Really speaks to the intelligence level of this board.

I want to know who wins between zion with a steel sword and a velociraptor
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
dribble1614
Pro Prospect
And1: 766

Post#1036 » by dribble1614 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:07 pm

size and strength definitely matters to some extent. as an example -

quite obvious that if actually trying the mountain from game of thrones gets one hold of mcgregor and could literally kill him.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,629

Post#1037 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:14 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
Nice video. Shaq clearly has grappling training.

Humans pick up grappling a lot easier than striking and grappling also doesn't involve getting hit in the face so I don't think this video answers this thread's question.

Just saying that Zion wouldn't need that much training to be competitive.
Shaq was big enough to submit those guys while in their guard, same would be with Zion.

Yeah but that's grappling where these guys start off on the mat and none of those guys are professional fighters. This thread is talking about a street fight. I'm sorry, I'm not taking a guy no matter how big he is with no fight experience against a professional fighter.
no matter how good you are as a striker, you don't win a fight against a grappler that much bigger, even if he's like blue belt level.
the moment the distance is closed they are on the ground, no takedown defense is going to save him.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,237

Post#1038 » by EArl » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:18 pm

dribble1614 wrote:size and strength definitely matters to some extent. as an example -

quite obvious that if actually trying the mountain from game of thrones gets one hold of mcgregor and could literally kill him.

Isn't this guy like the twice the weight of Zion?
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#1039 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:25 pm

og15 wrote:
primecougar wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: some people are such single sport athletes that they seem to think one can just be elite at a sport without serious work. Some are probably also just too young to reason well.

There's a difference between being able to pick up a sport and beat the average person and being able to perform at any high or elite level.

Yup pretty much this.

People also seem to think MMA hasnt had their fair share of freak athletes as well. Just look up guys like Kevin Randleman and Yoel Romero for dudes that are jacked and freak explosive athletes.

Just take Kevin Randleman for example:
5'10 220 pounds of pretty much all muscle. Football star in high school, all state in track in high school as well. State champion in wrestling. Then went on to win 2 NCAA wrestling championships (runner up his freshman year). His first 5 fights in the UFC were before Dana White was even involved, just to show how far back this was. You would think a freak athlete with a huge wrestling career would just dominate the sport. I mean most of the guys at his division at the time were chunky dudes. He did win the championship in the UFC, but went 4-3 in the UFC overall and 4-7 in PRIDE (the better promotion at the time).

The average MMA fighter's overall skill level is so much better today than it was back when Randleman fought. Randleman was a freak athlete, freakishly strong, and he had an amazing wrestling career prior to fighitng. Even with all that, he was a below .500 fighter in the major promotions in his career.

You cant just out athlete these guys, especially with no background in any of these martial arts.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,475

Post#1040 » by D.Brasco » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:28 pm

primecougar wrote:Can jon jones 6-4 84 inch reach beat chris paul in a basketball game, how about isiah thomas?

Jones has elite athelscim, his brothers are in the nfl. He's taller and weighs more

I bet most NBA players can throw a punch about as well as Jon Jones throws down a dunk

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts