Bellator General Discussion and Info

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: Bellator General Discussion and Info 

Post#1201 » by Jasen777 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:26 am

Bellator signs top wrestling heavyweight

Bellator getting all the wrestlers. Don't even think this guy is the favorite to make the U.S. Olympic team, but he's already been training with the Blackzilians.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1202 » by REDDzone » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:30 am

Jasen777 wrote:Bellator getting all the wrestlers.

Well, I wouldn't say ALL the wrestlers...

Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1203 » by Jasen777 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Bellator announces light heavyweight tournament pairings for Dynamite card

Former UFC contender Phil Davis squares off with former Bellator champ Emanuel Newton, while former Strikeforce champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal faces Linton Vassell. UFC veteran Francis Carmont will fight Philipe Lins in an alternate bout for the tournament.

Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1 takes place Saturday, Sept. 19 from the SAP Center in San Jose, Calif.

The event is headlined by the Bellator light-heavyweight title bout between former UFC champion Tito Ortiz and the undefeated Liam McGeary.

Additionally, Strikeforce and UFC vet Josh Thomson makes his promotional debut against Mike Bronzoulis.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,474

Post#1204 » by Bernman » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:13 pm

I like that Newton-Davis match-up for Bellator. Newton's tdd is nasty. And few don't have better striking than Phil.

But it's silly Bellator does stuff like match Josh Thomson with Mike Bronzoulis. As if a person who watches Bellator has never heard of Josh Thomson, so they have to give him a showcase fight. It's a waste of a potential good match. Could have had Thomson-Chandler or something to that effect.

Still a good card though. IIRC the 4-man tourney is a one-nighter. And it's good to see Philipe Lins return finally after blowing out his knee during the last LHW tourney. He was looking like a dynamo. Gets a serious test his first night back in Carmont.

Terrible card last night. Only thing worth remarking on was the final two fights, and mostly not for the right reasons. The judging was ridiculous. The Awad-Patricky fight had 30-27's for Patricky across the board, yet the media had it virtually split. I actually thought Awad edged it 29-28. And in the Girtz-Guillard fight somehow one judge scored it for Guillard. It was impossible. He got handled the first two rounds. All I can conclude is at least that judge is corrupt, not on behalf of Bellator, but himself. One of the most inexplicable scores I've ever seen. At least the right guy won. Good upset by Girtz. Explosive td's, good control, and improved timing striking-wise. The only thing that made it somewhat close in the end was he turned around after a break to pull up his pants and Mel took advantage. Outside of that Girtz dominated.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#1205 » by Cammo101 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Bernman wrote:I like that Newton-Davis match-up for Bellator. Newton's tdd is nasty. And few don't have better striking than Phil.

But it's silly Bellator does stuff like match Josh Thomson with Mike Bronzoulis. As if a person who watches Bellator has never heard of Josh Thomson, so they have to give him a showcase fight. It's a waste of a potential good match. Could have had Thomson-Chandler or something to that effect.

Still a good card though. IIRC the 4-man tourney is a one-nighter. And it's good to see Philipe Lins return finally after blowing out his knee during the last LHW tourney. He was looking like a dynamo. Gets a serious test his first night back in Carmont.

Terrible card last night. Only thing worth remarking on was the final two fights, and mostly not for the right reasons. The judging was ridiculous. The Awad-Patricky fight had 30-27's for Patricky across the board, yet the media had it virtually split. I actually thought Awad edged it 29-28. And in the Girtz-Guillard fight somehow one judge scored it for Guillard. It was impossible. He got handled the first two rounds. All I can conclude is at least that judge is corrupt, not on behalf of Bellator, but himself. One of the most inexplicable scores I've ever seen. At least the right guy won. Good upset by Girtz. Explosive td's, good control, and improved timing striking-wise. The only thing that made it somewhat close in the end was he turned around after a break to pull up his pants and Mel took advantage. Outside of that Girtz dominated.

There was supposedly some funky scorecards on the undercards as well.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1206 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Lol @ Guillard. They said on the broadcast that he handpicked Girtz, then he got dominated, split decision be damned. The fight would have been complete domination if not for big fat John interjecting himself and standing the fight up when Melvin couldn't get up himself, Melvin went on to land strikes when Girtz was turned around or something. Only a matter of time before Guillard burns his bridges with bellator like he has every single promotion and fight camp that he has ever been to.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1207 » by REDDzone » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:25 am

I know everyone loves Justin Wren because he posts on forums and does great charity work but the gifs I saw from last night had me wondering if it was a sumo match or an mma fight. Just two super fat dudes so out of breath that they were literally doubled over, hands on their knees at points. HW UFC is bad enough, hw mma outside of the ufc is just terrible.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1208 » by Jasen777 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:34 am

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1209 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:14 am

REDDzone wrote:I know everyone loves Justin Wren because he posts on forums and does great charity work but the gifs I saw from last night had me wondering if it was a sumo match or an mma fight. Just two super fat dudes so out of breath that they were literally doubled over, hands on their knees at points. HW UFC is bad enough, hw mma outside of the ufc is just terrible.

their fitness was fine. it was pretty grueling.

Wren is not skilled at boxing. just adapted the same motion as a wrestler level-change into overhands. dip to this side, throw to the other. they showed him in the preview hitting mitts with 3-4 punch combos...eee.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1210 » by Bernman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:47 am

Not a bad card tomorrow if you watch the whole thing (including prelims). Warren/Davis, Sanchez/Corrales, Caldwell, Macapa/Gleristone, Spartan/Teixeira, Garcia, Costa, etc. This is what I'm talking about. Outside featuring a lot of washed up former names, Bellator still has a decent amount of talent, more so than WSOF for sure. They just bury a lot of it.

At the risk of causing RZ to have a brain aneurysm, I feel compelled to report that Randy's son's opponent missed weight by 17 pounds. :lol: Might be a record.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1211 » by Jasen777 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:57 am

A WSOF guy missed weight by 32 pounds, though he was supposed to be a LHW.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1212 » by Bernman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Jasen777 wrote:A WSOF guy missed weight by 32 pounds, though he was supposed to be a LHW.

Would you expound on him being a LHW? You mean he was cutting for a LHW fight, then got offered a MW fight? It'd still be incredibly odd on account that he took a fight 20 lbs lower when he couldn't make weight by 12 lbs in his higher class.

Incidentally, would you by chance be referring to Kelvin Tiller? Because he is a LHW/MW who ended up in WSOF and was notorious for missing weight frequently and by substantial amounts. Just had never gone to that that extreme.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1213 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Nick Gonzalez (18-12 MMA, 0-2 BMMA) came in at 172.75 pounds for his lightweight fight – that’s lightweight, not welterweight – against Ryan Couture (10-3 MMA, 2-0 BMMA), who was 155.5.

Fight off.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1214 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Joe Warren (135.75) vs. L.C. Davis (135.75)
Joey Beltran (186) vs. Kendall Grove (185.5)
Emmanuel Sanchez (146) vs. Henry Corrales (145.5)
Vinicius Queiroz (230) vs. Ewerton Teixeira (236)

Saul Elizondo (135) vs. Amador Ramirez (134.75)
Eduardo Bustillos (136) vs. Steve Garcia (135.5)
Shawn Bunch (135.5) vs. Darrion Caldwell (135.5)
Dan Charles (232.5) vs. Chase Gormley (263)
Gleristone Santos (146) vs. John Teixeira (146)
Ryan Couture (155.5) vs. Nick Gonzalez (172.75)*
Jared Chaffe (155) vs. Guilherme Farias da Costa (156)
Luke Flores (155.5) vs. Gilbert Jimenez (155)
Abdul Razak Alhassan (170.5) vs. Bryce Mejia (171)
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1215 » by Jasen777 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Bernman wrote:Would you expound on him being a LHW? You mean he was cutting for a LHW fight, then got offered a MW fight? It'd still be incredibly odd on account that he took a fight 20 lbs lower when he couldn't make weight by 12 lbs in his higher class.

Incidentally, would you by chance be referring to Kelvin Tiller? Because he is a LHW/MW who ended up in WSOF and was notorious for missing weight frequently and by substantial amounts. Just had never gone to that that extreme.

I meant is was supposed to be fought at 205. It was Lew Polley back at WSOF 4. Don't know anything about him but he may have been fighting at HW and just didn't bother to even try to make weight. He last fight he lost to Darrill Schoonover, who you may remember from Rampage harassing him on TUF Heavyweights.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1216 » by Bernman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Jasen777 wrote:I meant is was supposed to be fought at 205. It was Lew Polley back at WSOF 4. Don't know anything about him but he may have been fighting at HW and just didn't bother to even try to make weight. He last fight he lost to Darrill Schoonover, who you may remember from Rampage harassing him on TUF Heavyweights.

Why even take the fight, then? He couldn't have thought it would still take place and he wouldn't just have ended up inconveniencing WSOF and his opponent more. He never fought in WSOF. Along came Lew Polley....came and went.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1217 » by Bernman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:41 pm

Gleristone-Macapa decision underscores one of the biggest problem with MMA judging. Aggression is scored much more highly than effectiveness, even though the scoring criteria and basic logic says it should be the opposite. Gleristone landed well-timed, set up, precise shots, and stuffed td's, or scrambled out of them quickly. Macapa just winged non-technical, non-setup, loopy, sorry excuse for power punches that seldom landed throughout the fight, and failed on td's. But Macapa won the fight by split. I would have scored it 30-27 Gleristone. He's the much better prospect, but receives the black mark on his record nonetheless.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1218 » by Bernman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Caldwell was slick. Super quick shot to the ankles of the olympic trialist wrestler Shawn Bunch, snaps him down, whips that leg over to mount, Bunch desperately turns over, Caldwell starts to get a hold of that neck before Bunch can protect himself, and he locks it in fully without paying attention to hooks much as Bunch is trying to escape. Caldwell has great awareness and reflexes to chain moves. Shouldn't be on the prelims. One of the very best prospects in MMA, and should be in a #1 contender next.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1219 » by Jasen777 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:41 am

Bernman wrote:Caldwell was slick.

And he's made news - for back flipping into a camerawoman.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1220 » by Bernman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:45 am

Jasen777 wrote:
Bernman wrote:Caldwell was slick.

And he's made news - for back flipping into a camerawoman.

Expect Stephen A. Smith to cry racism for that receiving more attention than the brother's performance on a Bellator untelevised prelim.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts