Bellator General Discussion and Info

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Bellator General Discussion and Info 

Post#961 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Bellator apparently broke their previous viewership records with this card.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#962 » by Cammo101 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:24 pm

REDDzone wrote:Bellator apparently broke their previous viewership records with this card.

Great, this pretty much assures us Tito/Bonnar 2. Complete with staged theatrics and white rappers with mohawks.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#963 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:36 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Bellator apparently broke their previous viewership records with this card.

Great, this pretty much assures us Tito/Bonnar 2. Complete with staged theatrics and white rappers with mohawks.

You like to play it up like its just a bellator thing, but mma as a whole is trending more and more towards wwe.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#964 » by Cammo101 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:46 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

You like to play it up like its just a bellator thing, but mma as a whole is trending more and more towards wwe.

There is a large distinction between adding some extra drama to sell a fight and fat guys with masks and fake melees in the cage. Other smaller orgs are guilty of it too, but Bellator is the worst offender and the one who should know better.

I think there is a place in MMA for the guys like Connor and Chael who sell a fight with words, but I don't want MMA to turn into wrestling where people are fake fighting and cutting promos. A lot of people thought the Tito/Bonnar fight was going to be a work. That is a big problem for MMA if that is the direction we are moving.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#965 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Cammo101 wrote:There is a large distinction between adding some extra drama to sell a fight and fat guys with masks and fake melees in the cage. Other smaller orgs are guilty of it too, but Bellator is the worst offender and the one who should know better.

I think there is a place in MMA for the guys like Connor and Chael who sell a fight with words, but I don't want MMA to turn into wrestling where people are fake fighting and cutting promos. A lot of people thought the Tito/Bonnar fight was going to be a work. That is a big problem for MMA if that is the direction we are moving.

Wait, what legitimate people were claiming Tito/Bonnar was a work? If there are "a lot of people", I'm curious of a few examples.

There was no fake fighting in bellator. If you are referring to the Tito shoving Bonnar thing, you really think that was fake where Tito and Bonnar planned it out that Bonnar was going to smacktalk the mother of Tito's children on tv? No.

Obviously Bonnar cut promos, I don't see how its different than what Chael has done for years (he literally has professional writers giving him material) and what Conor is doing now.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#966 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:23 pm

BTW, were you this annoyed with Aldo/Mendes fake fighting (Aldo later admitted he pushed Chad just to sell the fight) and Chael/Wandy fake fighting for the tuf promos?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#967 » by Cammo101 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:12 pm

REDDzone wrote:BTW, were you this annoyed with Aldo/Mendes fake fighting (Aldo later admitted he pushed Chad just to sell the fight) and Chael/Wandy fake fighting for the tuf promos?

A push to excite fans at a presser is fine by me. Bonnar and Tito was clearly a work, they may not have written a full script for it, but they knew what was going to happen in there no different than the WWE. Just like Rampage and Tito was a few months back.

Chael and Wandy was real as far as I've heard. Both those guys are legit crazy.

I'm not a fan of some of the more dramatic stuff in the UFC either, but they are a long way from the wrestling crossover crap Bellator seems to be doing with increasing regularity.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#968 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:23 pm

TIto and Bonnar was entirely a real fight. They were throwing finishing shots.

Bonnar doesn't give a **** about money or continuing in MMA. He wanted to try 'pro wrestling' style promo, quite possibly looking for a gig in an actual pro wrestling org. Listen to the Stone Cold podcast. He loves the theatrics of wrestling. He brought them to what was still a legit fight.

Tito is too dumb and narcissistic to navigate an entirely contrived feud...his fragile ego is going to feel things deeply.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#969 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Then again, listening to Barnett on Stone Cold and to the Chael podcasts, it seems like there's a long history of pro wrestlers not quite getting the fiction but still pulling it off. LOLz!
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#970 » by Cammo101 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:26 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:TIto and Bonnar was entirely a real fight. They were throwing finishing shots.

Are you talking about the pre-fight melee or the actual fight Saturday night?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#971 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:BTW, were you this annoyed with Aldo/Mendes fake fighting (Aldo later admitted he pushed Chad just to sell the fight) and Chael/Wandy fake fighting for the tuf promos?

A push to excite fans at a presser is fine by me. Bonnar and Tito was clearly a work, they may not have written a full script for it, but they knew what was going to happen in there no different than the WWE. Just like Rampage and Tito was a few months back.

I'm not a fan of some of the more dramatic stuff in the UFC either, but they are a long way from the wrestling crossover crap Bellator seems to be doing with increasing regularity.

I'll take your lack of response to mean that you can't name the "lots of people" who thought Tito/Bonnar was a work? Unless you just meant internet idiots who claim literally all of it is fake.

As for the rest, fine. I feel dirty somewhat defending bellator for their wwe shenanigans. I've made it clear on this board several times how I hate the direction the sport is going. Its moving away from fighting and towards wwe. The recent bellator stuff has been more overt for sure, but the trend has been there for a long time now.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#972 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:30 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:TIto and Bonnar was entirely a real fight. They were throwing finishing shots.

Bonnar doesn't give a **** about money or continuing in MMA. He wanted to try 'pro wrestling' style promo, quite possibly looking for a gig in an actual pro wrestling org. Listen to the Stone Cold podcast. He loves the theatrics of wrestling. He brought them to what was still a legit fight.

Tito is too dumb and narcissistic to navigate an entirely contrived feud...his fragile ego is going to feel things deeply.

I agree with everything except for the Bonnar didn't care about money parts. Doesn't he have like a t-shirt business or something? Safe to say a dude selling t-shirts could use a nice six figure payday fighting an opponent less dangerous than the majority of ufc light heavyweights.

And yea, Tito is way too dumb to have went along with any of that. He hates Bonnar, even now, for sure.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#973 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Bonnar is day-trading himself millions, apparently. He claimed on Stone Cold to have made more day-trading than in his entire UFC career (or something).
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#974 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:31 pm

BTW, is anyone else's notification system on this crappy site as bad as mine? If I get more than one notification at a time, it freezes up and won't work now for the next few hours.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#975 » by Cammo101 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:32 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

I'll take your lack of response to mean that you can't name the "lots of people" who thought Tito/Bonnar was a work? Unless you just meant internet idiots who claim literally all of it is fake.

As for the rest, fine. I feel dirty somewhat defending bellator for their wwe shenanigans. I've made it clear on this board several times how I hate the direction the sport is going. Its moving away from fighting and towards wwe. The recent bellator stuff has been more overt for sure, but the trend has been there for a long time now.

I was at a bar watching Bellator and the FSU game (because I was moving last weekend and Time Warner Cable is awful) and there was a group of MMA fans there watching Bellator and discussing whether the fight was going to be a work.

I never thought the fight wouldn't be legit, even with all the terrible theatrics leading up to it, but just having that be a possibility in people's minds is a huge problem for a legitimate sport IMO.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#976 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:32 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Bonnar is day-trading himself millions, apparently. He claimed on Stone Cold to have made more day-trading than in his entire UFC career (or something).

lol
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#977 » by Cammo101 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:33 pm

REDDzone wrote:BTW, is anyone else's notification system on this crappy site as bad as mine? If I get more than one notification at a time, it freezes up and won't work now for the next few hours.

There is a notification system?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#978 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:BTW, is anyone else's notification system on this crappy site as bad as mine? If I get more than one notification at a time, it freezes up and won't work now for the next few hours.

There is a notification system?

One that works?

No.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#979 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:35 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I never thought the fight wouldn't be legit, even with all the terrible theatrics leading up to it, but just having that be a possibility in people's minds is a huge problem for a legitimate sport IMO.

I agree. But then no way is Chael vs Rashad not more sketchy, esp considering its conclusion. Or Rashad vs Rampage.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#980 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I was at a bar watching Bellator and the FSU game (because I was moving last weekend and Time Warner Cable is awful) and there was a group of MMA fans there watching Bellator and discussing whether the fight was going to be a work.

I never thought the fight wouldn't be legit, even with all the terrible theatrics leading up to it, but just having that be a possibility in people's minds is a huge problem for a legitimate sport IMO.

I remember hearing the same stuff about some of Brock's fights but whatevs. :guitar:

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts