Bellator General Discussion and Info

Moderator: lilfishi22

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Bellator General Discussion and Info 

Post#801 » by Bernman » Tue Apr 1, 2014 9:22 pm

REDDzone wrote:That's almost as bad as Patrick Cummins!

He is worse, much worse.

And unlike the UFC, this isn't just another PPV and they can't sell them partially on their promotion's name at this juncture. They need fighters with names that people know, at least the hardcore, regular Bellator follower.

I seriously wondered if this was an April Fool's joke when I saw it.

Putting together this fight is bad enough, placing it on ppv makes it so much worse.

I hope they come to their senses and bump this fight down to the televised prelims, or really pull a rabbit out of the hat for the rest of the main card, or the ppv will not only likely flop revenue-wise but also make them look like a joke because it's like that's the best they can do?.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#802 » by Cammo101 » Wed Apr 2, 2014 3:17 am

Bernman wrote:

He is worse, much worse.

And unlike the UFC, this isn't just another PPV and they can't sell them partially on their promotion's name at this juncture. They need fighters with names that people know, at least the hardcore, regular Bellator follower.

Putting together this fight is bad enough, placing it on ppv makes it so much worse.

I hope they come to their senses and bump this fight down to the televised prelims, or really pull a rabbit out of the hat for the rest of the main card, or the ppv will not only likely flop revenue-wise but also make them look like a joke because it's like that's the best they can do?.

It makes no sense. Brooks has a title shot lined up, so why have him fight when you have plenty of guys at Brooks' name value without fights currently.
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#803 » by skflives » Wed Apr 2, 2014 9:59 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
Bernman wrote:

He is worse, much worse.

It makes no sense. Brooks has a title shot lined up, so why have him fight when you have plenty of guys at Brooks' name value without fights currently.

I don't mind that Brooks is getting a fight. He's not a UFC fighter so he probably can't afford to take so much time off. I don't even mind that they are feeding him some no-hoper. He's earned his shot and shouldn't put it at risk in a stay busy fight just because Bellator wants to arbitrarily put together rematches. I just don't know why this is going on PPV.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#804 » by Cammo101 » Wed Apr 2, 2014 11:23 pm

skflives wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:
Bernman wrote:
He is worse, much worse.

I don't mind that Brooks is getting a fight. He's not a UFC fighter so he probably can't afford to take so much time off. I don't even mind that they are feeding him some no-hoper. He's earned his shot and shouldn't put it at risk in a stay busy fight just because Bellator wants to arbitrarily put together rematches. I just don't know why this is going on PPV.

It leads me to believe they are banking on the 2 big fights to sell the PPV. Most of their other big fighters are in a tourney or fighting soon. It is going to be tough to make PPV caliber fight out of what is left.
skflives
Banned User

Post#805 » by skflives » Wed Apr 2, 2014 11:54 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
It leads me to believe they are banking on the 2 big fights to sell the PPV. Most of their other big fighters are in a tourney or fighting soon. It is going to be tough to make PPV caliber fight out of what is left.

God I hope not. I don't expect them to spend millions to stage Fedor/Couture but man they are going to need some compelling matchups on this card.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#806 » by Cammo101 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 5:59 am

skflives wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

God I hope not. I don't expect them to spend millions to stage Fedor/Couture but man they are going to need some compelling matchups on this card.

I'm just not sure what those fights could be. Every champion has either just fought or is fighting in the next couple weeks. I can't think of a big name they have that is not scheduled. Maybe they can get a tournament final or two from this season, but there is not much name value to be had there.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#807 » by Jasen777 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 6:16 am

Cammo101 wrote: I can't think of a big name they have that is not scheduled.

Ben Askren. :P :(
skflives
Banned User

Post#808 » by skflives » Thu Apr 3, 2014 1:04 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
I'm just not sure what those fights could be. Every champion has either just fought or is fighting in the next couple weeks. I can't think of a big name they have that is not scheduled. Maybe they can get a tournament final or two from this season, but there is not much name value to be had there.

Well Schlemenko likes fighting often and he just put away his most recent opponent relatively quickly. I don't know of a PPV quality fighter they can get for him that would accept the fight on such short notice though. What would be the point of another squash match?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#809 » by Cammo101 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 6:06 pm

Hershel Walker vs. Dave Batista. Make it happen Bjorn.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#810 » by SDM » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:07 pm

Walker def. Batista, KO (Oxygen) 1:36 of the first round.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#811 » by Cammo101 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 7:00 am

More Bellator craziness. I guess I can just fast forward to the main event tomorrow.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/3/558 ... d-mma-news
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#812 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Tito asks on the card, Shlemenko calls him out! Would be so good. Rather that than Tito vs Rampage for sure.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#813 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:32 pm

I thought Tito had a broken skull or spine or something again.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
skflives
Banned User

Post#814 » by skflives » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:57 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Tito asks on the card, Shlemenko calls him out! Would be so good. Rather that than Tito vs Rampage for sure.

I still think Bellator could pull off a successful PPV if they do things the right way. Unfortunately this card isn't doing PPVs the right way. Outside of the main event it looks like an Affliction card without the relevant fighters.

Alvarez vs. Chandler 3
Shelemenko vs. Tito Ortiz
Rampage Jackson vs. King Mo
Will Brooks vs. Nate Jolly
Bernman
RealGM

Post#815 » by Bernman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:04 pm

I actually really like this choice. What makes it intriguing is the weight difference. And it's not like Tito proved to be a bad LHW for a major organization. Just no better than decent at this point.

Also, it could be entertaining to see Shlemenko beat up Tito's body repeatedly like Lil' Nog did. Repeated head blows I oppose because of the long-term damage, but body blows is just primarily a pain thing usually. So I don't feel guilty in enjoying them in high volume.

Now, I just don't know what direction they go for the final ppv slot, unless Curran all of a sudden decides he's ready, or they get even more creative and ballsy with one of their other champions. Speaking of which, props to them for breaking their tendency of hyper-protecting one of their champions/no. 1 contenders. I just wish they would have done it with Brooks. That Jolly fight is an eye sore for the ppv unless they remove it.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#816 » by Cammo101 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:11 am

Tito vs. Shlemenko is pretty as good as they could do with the available fighters. Maybe the 5th fight can be one of these tourney finales.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#817 » by CPT » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Interesting as a freakshow fight, I just hope they treat it as such.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#818 » by Bernman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Tito vs. Shlemenko is pretty as good as they could do with the available fighters. Maybe the 5th fight can be one of these tourney finales.

They actually wound up w/ a couple interesting tourney finals at hw and ww. I think Volkov-Ivanov is Bellator ppv marketable enough, with both being heavyweights, one the former champ, and the other with one of the most interesting stories ever in MMA.

Unfortunately it sounds like Bellator will drop the ball and relegate it to the prelims of the ppv card, and instead leave up there a keep busy fight for a guy who is more boring than most and has a good but less endearing story. He is from middle America, and a black kid, who was adopted by a white family. So he has that relatability going for him. Although if Bellator listens to people on the internet or in attendance, there is more of a response for the Eastern European guy. They should give people a little credit for not being wholly superficial.
skflives
Banned User

Post#819 » by skflives » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:24 pm

I suppose if they add Ivanov/Volkov and Held/Fierre and the bump the Brooks/Jolly fight to the undercard it might not be so bad.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#820 » by Cammo101 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:44 pm

skflives wrote:I suppose if they add Ivanov/Volkov and Held/Fierre and the bump the Brooks/Jolly fight to the undercard it might not be so bad.

This is exactly what they should do.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts