Bellator General Discussion and Info

Moderator: lilfishi22

skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Re: Bellator General Discussion and Info 

Post#821 » by skflives » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 am

Cammo101 wrote:
skflives wrote:I suppose if they add Ivanov/Volkov and Held/Fierre and the bump the Brooks/Jolly fight to the undercard it might not be so bad.

This is exactly what they should do.

I agree. Its just a shame that Tito Ortiz is on the card. I would rather Schlemenko get matched up with someone more compelling.

Heck, I think a fight with Melvin Manhoef would be fun while it lasted.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#822 » by Cammo101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:24 am

skflives wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:
skflives wrote:I suppose if they add Ivanov/Volkov and Held/Fierre and the bump the Brooks/Jolly fight to the undercard it might not be so bad.

This is exactly what they should do.

I agree. Its just a shame that Tito Ortiz is on the card. I would rather Schlemenko get matched up with someone more compelling.

Heck, I think a fight with Melvin Manhoef would be fun while it lasted.

I actually like the Tito fight. It presents some interesting challenges for Shlemenko and will certainly be a more competitive fight than Manhoef would be. The only MW that is available that I'd rather see is Khalidov, but he brings zero name value and seems to only be willing to fight overseas.

Tito brings some name value from the common fan. And that is needed IMO.
skflives
Banned User

Post#823 » by skflives » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:15 am

Cammo101 wrote:
I actually like the Tito fight. It presents some interesting challenges for Shlemenko and will certainly be a more competitive fight than Manhoef would be. The only MW that is available that I'd rather see is Khalidov, but he brings zero name value and seems to only be willing to fight overseas.

Tito brings some name value from the common fan. And that is needed IMO.

Khalidov would be a great fight but he represents too much of a risk. IF he signs with Bellator and wins a tournament then fine but otherwise he's too much of a threat to actually win. And nah I don't like the Tito fight. Its a blatent grab for viewers and represents a lose-lose proposition for Schlemenko. If he beats Ortiz he's beaten a guy with one win since 2007. If he loses he loses to a guy with one win since 2007. And you know what, Tito has enough wrestling and a size advantage to possibly wrestle f**k Schlemenko. I don't see it happening. I think the age and injuries will have sapped enough of Tito explosiveness to prevent it but it remains a slight possibility. And then what.....your middleweight champ looks like a joke. So that's why I suggested Manhoef. Manhoef has a name that is well known to the hardcore fans and has some slight recognition amongst casual fans (mostly for brutalizing Lawler's leg until Lawler put him to sleep). That fight would be fun but he's a much smaller threat.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#824 » by Cammo101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:59 am

I just think that if you are going to put on a fight like this, at least use the guy with the name value who stands to gain you some viewers. No casual fans know or care about Manhoef, and I doubt at this point all that many hardcore fans are going to go out of their way to see Manhoef.

Also, he has a kickboxing match coming up if I'm not mistaken.

Bellator has to work with what they have. A fight like this in the UFC would be awful and makes little sense. But, for Bellator, I get it. For as critical as I was of a Rampage/Tito main event last time around, I still have interest in watching Tito fight, as long as he isn't the selling point of the card.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#825 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:35 pm

Have the odds for this fight come out yet? Because I think Schlemenko is a bad dude and he will beat the sh*t out of Tito lol. Surprised to see Tito called a challenge or that he may win via wrestling actually. Is this 3 or 5 rounds? I hope the rest of the public feels like this isn't a one-sided fight. Maybe I'm missing something because most of Tito's fights go fast (Bader/Nog/Shad) or else I fall asleep during (all 27 times he fought Forrest in the ufc).

I do think this was a great fight for bellator to make.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#826 » by CPT » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I just think that if you are going to put on a fight like this, at least use the guy with the name value who stands to gain you some viewers. No casual fans know or care about Manhoef, and I doubt at this point all that many hardcore fans are going to go out of their way to see Manhoef.

Bellator has to work with what they have. A fight like this in the UFC would be awful and makes little sense. But, for Bellator, I get it. For as critical as I was of a Rampage/Tito main event last time around, I still have interest in watching Tito fight, as long as he isn't the selling point of the card.

Why?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#827 » by Cammo101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:22 pm

CPT wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:I just think that if you are going to put on a fight like this, at least use the guy with the name value who stands to gain you some viewers. No casual fans know or care about Manhoef, and I doubt at this point all that many hardcore fans are going to go out of their way to see Manhoef.

Why?

I don't know. Novelty. For the same reason I'd want to watch Chuck or Hughes or BJ fight even though they are past their primes. Tito is still a big MMA star, and there is always going to be some part of a lot of people that are intrigued when he fights.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#828 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:48 pm

I think you should look up the definition of novelty, bruh.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
skflives
Banned User

Post#829 » by skflives » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
I don't know. Novelty. For the same reason I'd want to watch Chuck or Hughes or BJ fight even though they are past their primes. Tito is still a big MMA star, and there is always going to be some part of a lot of people that are intrigued when he fights.

I can sorta get that but for me the novelty thing disappears when guys like Tito fight someone relevant. It becomes the opposite of novelty when they fight someone relevant but from a lower weight class. I wouldn't have minded a fight with Quentin Jackson before Rampage beat Beltran and M'Pumbu. That's exactly the kind of fight guys like Tito should be fighting. Those are the novelty type matches. This isn't a novelty match this is a Pride FC or New Years Eve Japanese MMA event level freak show fight.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#830 » by CPT » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 pm

skflives wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

I can sorta get that but for me the novelty thing disappears when guys like Tito fight someone relevant. It becomes the opposite of novelty when they fight someone relevant but from a lower weight class. I wouldn't have minded a fight with Quentin Jackson before Rampage beat Beltran and M'Pumbu. That's exactly the kind of fight guys like Tito should be fighting. Those are the novelty type matches. This isn't a novelty match this is a Pride FC or New Years Eve Japanese MMA event level freak show fight.

That's actually what makes it somewhat interesting for me, lol.

I didn't give half a **** when he was supposed to fight Rampage, but this, I might watch.
skflives
Banned User

Post#831 » by skflives » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:54 pm

CPT wrote:
skflives wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

That's actually what makes it somewhat interesting for me, lol.

I didn't give half a **** when he was supposed to fight Rampage, but this, I might watch.

Really? Wow lol
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#832 » by REDDzone » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:43 am

skflives wrote:Really? Wow lol

I think you are probably in the minority on this one actually. Rampage vs Tito would have been cool...in 2006.

At least Schlemenko is sort of out of left field and there are a lot of ways to envision the fight happening. I would have bet my entire bankroll on Rampage vs Tito. Even fat Rampage would have obliterated Tito with ease.
skflives
Banned User

Post#833 » by skflives » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 am

REDDzone wrote:
skflives wrote:Really? Wow lol

I think you are probably in the minority on this one actually. Rampage vs Tito would have been cool...in 2006.

At least Schlemenko is sort of out of left field and there are a lot of ways to envision the fight happening. I would have bet my entire bankroll on Rampage vs Tito. Even fat Rampage would have obliterated Tito with ease.

I guess I am. Schlemenko vs. Tito doesn't interest me at all. I think its a lame attempt to grab fans attention. Put Tito in with another has been. Promoting that fight will be less painful than having to listen to Ortiz talk about how "this fight is like Rocky 4...but for real. Let Schlemenko beat up a UFC castoff. That way we can get a better idea of how he'd measure up to the UFC guys. Give me something compelling. Schlemenko vs. Ortiz is not compelling.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#834 » by REDDzone » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:37 am

skflives wrote:I guess I am. Schlemenko vs. Tito doesn't interest me at all. I think its a lame attempt to grab fans attention. Put Tito in with another has been. Promoting that fight will be less painful than having to listen to Ortiz talk about how "this fight is like Rocky 4...but for real. Let Schlemenko beat up a UFC castoff. That way we can get a better idea of how he'd measure up to the UFC guys. Give me something compelling. Schlemenko vs. Ortiz is not compelling.

We agree on the principal which is why I'm not sure why we are disagreeing on the matchups lol. We have seen Tito fight past their prime light heavyweights for years in Lil Nog, Forrestx7, Hamill, etc. Not interested in seeing it again vs Rampage, could have seen that in ufc.

Its like how I hated how they just kept matching up sf guys vs sf guys in the ufc when they first bought strikeforce. The "novelty" factor in a guy like Ortiz, imo, is seeing him in matchups that we have never even thought about or envisioned. That's why Schlemenko is perfect, or hell any random bellator fighter. Bellator heavyweight? I'm down for it. Bellator light heavy? Sure. Bellator MW? Even better.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#835 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Yeah, couldn't have cared less about the Rampage fight either. But totally down with this one.

I have no insight as to why, but I still want to see Tito fight if it's the right match-up. This is the best one he's had in a long time (>Bader). Maybe I'm just happy BEllator can flesh out their maincard a little bit. Or that Shlemenko has someone interesting - an interesting challenge - in front of him.

This, of course, is at 205 too. And Shlemenko looked chubby, his upperbody pretty slight. He's doesn't follow the US wrestling course of beefing-up/cutting-down between fights evidently. Tito might have 20 pounds on him in the ring, wouldn't be surprised.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#836 » by REDDzone » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:42 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Yeah, couldn't have cared less about the Rampage fight either. But totally down with this one.

I have no insight as to why, but I still want to see Tito fight if it's the right match-up. This is the best one he's had in a long time (>Bader). Maybe I'm just happy BEllator can flesh out their maincard a little bit. Or that Shlemenko has someone interesting - an interesting challenge - in front of him.

This, of course, is at 205 too. And Shlemenko looked chubby, his upperbody pretty slight. He's doesn't follow the US wrestling course of beefing-up/cutting-down between fights evidently. Tito might have 20 pounds on him in the ring, wouldn't be surprised.

I read on the UG yesterday that Schlemenko could probably do WW if he wanted to cut a la most fighters. If that really is true, man Tito would dwarf that dude. Tito is a pretty big dude lol, his head alone has to weight as much as one of Schlemenko's legs.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#837 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Maybe the cut of his suit, but Tito didn't look that swole on the broadcast. But yeah, walk around at 235 wouldn't surprise me.

I think Shlemenko might be showing up with a big ol belly cos that appears to be the only real wight he wears. It'll be tough to finish Tito if there's that massive a weight difference.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
skflives
Banned User

Post#838 » by skflives » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:52 pm

REDDzone wrote:
skflives wrote:I guess I am. Schlemenko vs. Tito doesn't interest me at all. I think its a lame attempt to grab fans attention. Put Tito in with another has been. Promoting that fight will be less painful than having to listen to Ortiz talk about how "this fight is like Rocky 4...but for real. Let Schlemenko beat up a UFC castoff. That way we can get a better idea of how he'd measure up to the UFC guys. Give me something compelling. Schlemenko vs. Ortiz is not compelling.

We agree on the principal which is why I'm not sure why we are disagreeing on the matchups lol. We have seen Tito fight past their prime light heavyweights for years in Lil Nog, Forrestx7, Hamill, etc. Not interested in seeing it again vs Rampage, could have seen that in ufc.

Its like how I hated how they just kept matching up sf guys vs sf guys in the ufc when they first bought strikeforce. The "novelty" factor in a guy like Ortiz, imo, is seeing him in matchups that we have never even thought about or envisioned. That's why Schlemenko is perfect, or hell any random bellator fighter. Bellator heavyweight? I'm down for it. Bellator light heavy? Sure. Bellator MW? Even better.

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Unless its another aging vet of a similar stature in MMA and at the same weight class then I have no interest in seeing guys like Tito fight.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#839 » by REDDzone » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 am

skflives wrote:I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Unless its another aging vet of a similar stature in MMA and at the same weight class then I have no interest in seeing guys like Tito fight.

If Tito went back to the ufc tomorrow, he'd be decisioned by Kyle Kingsbury in a crappy fight later this summer in the second fight on a ppv. That to me is worst case scenario.

Tell me the ufc wouldn't pull the trigger on that match in a heartbeat. :) Just so predictable and boring to me though.
skflives
Banned User

Post#840 » by skflives » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:15 am

REDDzone wrote:
skflives wrote:I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Unless its another aging vet of a similar stature in MMA and at the same weight class then I have no interest in seeing guys like Tito fight.

If Tito went back to the ufc tomorrow, he'd be decisioned by Kyle Kingsbury in a crappy fight later this summer in the second fight on a ppv. That to me is worst case scenario.

Tell me the ufc wouldn't pull the trigger on that match in a heartbeat. :) Just so predictable and boring to me though.

The best way to explain it is probably by using my favorite fighter of all time as an example. I am happy Fedor retired. While he lost 3 fights in a row none of the losses were as depressing to watch as the decline of guys like Shogun Rua or Mirko Cro Cop. With that being said, I would be happy to see him return under certain conditions. I wouldn't want to see him fight guys like JDS, Cain Velesquez or Travis Browne. They are just on another level from the current Fedor and the results would be depressing. I wouldn't want to see him feast on bums like James Thompson, Ricco Rodriguez or Valentin Overeem. Those were never in Fedor's league and those fights would be a total waste of time. But...if he were to come back to fight the likes of Sergei Kharitonov, Josh Barnett or Frank Mir I would be ok with it. You see what I'm getting at.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts