World Series of Fighting Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: World Series of Fighting Thread 

Post#101 » by REDDzone » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Melvin missed weight again, has two hours to drop 4 pounds.

A level fighter in a B level organization with C level professionalism?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#102 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:16 am

Just tuned into this until bellator comes on.

There were three title fights until Melvin missed weight. God, him winning would be such a disaster, having one of their best prospects derailed by a meh fighters.

I'm interested in Jessics Aguilar. Now that I actually have some interest in wmma and the 115 pound division. The mmarising guy who is known as the foremost wmma expert in mma media...his claim is that Jessica Aguilar is the best and top ranked wmma 115er on the planet. IDK enough to know either way.

Okami also fighting David Branch.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#103 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:18 am

I have no idea who these guys fighting are right now, but this fight in bananas.

I forgot how bad Bas is. If the Voice was there with him, I wouldn't be able to watch this at all. Both he and his partner keep calling it "the octagon".
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#104 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:45 am

Gaetche is stalking Guillard and peppering him with leg kicks too.

Now Guillard is finding his chin with uppercuts and straight lefts.

Gaethe lands a short right after the bell that Aldo would have been upset about.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#105 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:35 am

Its just a given that the referee has to physically pry Palhares hands apart in order for him to release submissions. Taps or words from the ref are not enough. Reading on twitter that Fitch's knee popped bad, I wonder if he's done.

edit: With that said, Palhares demonstrates, imo, how underutilized leg locks are in mma. Most mma guys train bjj, and bjj is sorely lacking in leg lock skills relative to other grappling arts. That's my theory as to why its so rare anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see that change though.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#106 » by REDDzone » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:58 pm

Welp, the fighter who bangs less bros than anyone else in the entire sport fights tonight. Shields. I looked at the card and I'm pretty sure that I have literally never heard of a single other fighter on the card.

Also, IDK if this was posted here, but it came out what Shields got popped with a few years back this week. It was a diuretic. I had assumed steroids, so I found that interesting.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#107 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:58 am

Looked at the odds, Shields is actually (slightly) favored to win the fight within the distance.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#108 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:08 am

Pretty slick finish in the co main.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#109 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:28 am

Palhares vs. Shields is an interesting match-up. Unless they try to bang.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#110 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:43 pm

REDDzone wrote:Welp, the fighter who bangs less bros than anyone else in the entire sport fights tonight. Shields. I looked at the card and I'm pretty sure that I have literally never heard of a single other fighter on the card.

Also, IDK if this was posted here, but it came out what Shields got popped with a few years back this week. It was a diuretic. I had assumed steroids, so I found that interesting.

The talent level on that card was vastly lower than the usual WSOF card. It seems like their desire to do more shows has really hurt their ability to stack their cards (see also UFC).

Shields did look great and is an interesting challenge for Palhares. And he certainly didn't sound scared to go to the ground with him in that post fight interview.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#111 » by CPT » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:22 pm

That will be worth watching. I wonder if Shields can do to Palhares what he did to Maia. And by "do" I mean not really do anything, but be in control for about 56% of at least 3 rounds of the fight, and make Palhares look bad.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#112 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:15 pm

There have been a handful of people who have figured out Palhares leg lock game in the past. Andre Galvao. Alan Belcher (who brought in Dean Lister to teach him how to defend). I think Shields probably has as good a chance as anyone else in the division, he really is an amazing grappler.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#113 » by REDDzone » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:12 am

Apparently Cody McKenzie just lost via DQ- Headbutt. I'm not watching but he said he headbutted because the guy pulled his hair? lol.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#114 » by REDDzone » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:07 am

Moraes/Hill was decently competitive.

Marlon just dropped an F bomb on nbc sports lolz.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#115 » by Cammo101 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:33 pm

REDDzone wrote:Apparently Cody McKenzie just lost via DQ- Headbutt. I'm not watching but he said he headbutted because the guy pulled his hair? lol.

The whole fight was a mess. The guy Cody was fighting pulled his hair and also head butted him. Cody then got on top and clearly head butted him on purpose. I'm not sure they needed to stop the fight for it, a point deduction would have been fine, but I'm all for whatever keeps me from having to watch Cody McKenzie fight.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#116 » by Cammo101 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:34 pm

REDDzone wrote:Moraes/Hill was decently competitive.

Moraes hasn't looked nearly as dominate the last couple times out. I'd still love to see him in the UFC, but I no longer sure he'd be an elite guy there.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#117 » by REDDzone » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Cammo101 wrote:

Moraes hasn't looked nearly as dominate the last couple times out. I'd still love to see him in the UFC, but I no longer sure he'd be an elite guy there.

IDK how he would do in the ufc but fwiw I think Josh Hill is a decent fighter and Moraes won that fight 4-1 easy.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#118 » by Cammo101 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:42 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

IDK how he would do in the ufc but fwiw I think Josh Hill is a decent fighter and Moraes won that fight 4-1 easy.

I don't disagree. I certainly think Moraes would be a good BW who would stick around the UFC for a good while. Just not sure he's a future title contender like I once thought. I'd still be very happy to see he, Bibiano, and Dantas bring some fresh blood into a very stale division in the UFC.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#119 » by Cammo101 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Also, can we talk about the incredibly poor talent level on the last 2 WSOF main cards. They used to be really good at having quality fights up and down the cards, but lately the main event is the only fight I even watch.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#120 » by REDDzone » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Also, can we talk about the incredibly poor talent level on the last 2 WSOF main cards. They used to be really good at having quality fights up and down the cards, but lately the main event is the only fight I even watch.

WSOF sucks imo.

Also saw they signed Thiago Silva.

lol.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts