World Series of Fighting Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: World Series of Fighting Thread 

Post#261 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:48 am

IDK if anyone cares enough to remember stuff like this, but WSOF's matchmaker Ali Abdelaziz is on mmahour, etc. a lot, and everytime he is I pretty much comment somewhere on this board how much a scumbag he is. Well now apparently he/WSOF are being sued for a conflict of interest and possible violation of commission regulations due to him both managing fighters and playing matchmaker for WSOF (this would be illegal in boxing under the Muhammad Ali Act, from my understanding). Also, he pretty frequently claims to be an olympian and that is also now being called into questions, seems like that is untrue as well.

This may even belong in another thread, because I think the whole manager/promoter thing is so common in mma and its hard to argue that its not a major issue. I know Wallid does it with jungle fight. Both of the titan guys are managers as well IIRC. I can't remember the exact situation, but I believe one of those titan guys manages Ricci. And then for one of his recent fights, Ricci missed weight and when his opponent refused to go through with the fight despite that, the promoters (Ricci's managers) cut the opponent. Just shady sh*t like that illuminates the already obvious issues here.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/23/9624066/wsof-lawsuit-raises-questions-of-a-conflict-of-interest-for-ali-abdel
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 951

Post#262 » by SDM » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:45 pm

REDDzone wrote:IDK if anyone cares enough to remember stuff like this, but WSOF's matchmaker Ali Abdelaziz is on mmahour, etc. a lot, and everytime he is I pretty much comment somewhere on this board how much a scumbag he is. Well now apparently he/WSOF are being sued for a conflict of interest and possible violation of commission regulations due to him both managing fighters and playing matchmaker for WSOF (this would be illegal in boxing under the Muhammad Ali Act, from my understanding). Also, he pretty frequently claims to be an olympian and that is also now being called into questions, seems like that is untrue as well.

This may even belong in another thread, because I think the whole manager/promoter thing is so common in mma and its hard to argue that its not a major issue. I know Wallid does it with jungle fight. Both of the titan guys are managers as well IIRC. I can't remember the exact situation, but I believe one of those titan guys manages Ricci. And then for one of his recent fights, Ricci missed weight and when his opponent refused to go through with the fight despite that, the promoters (Ricci's managers) cut the opponent. Just shady sh*t like that illuminates the already obvious issues here.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/23/9624066/wsof-lawsuit-raises-questions-of-a-conflict-of-interest-for-ali-abdel

No longer with WSOF.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#263 » by REDDzone » Tue May 3, 2016 11:48 pm

Just read that wsof set up a fight between two brothers.

IDK why, but that really creeps me out. Cringing just thinking about it.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,882

Post#264 » by GSP » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:58 am

Hopefully Moraes goes to Ufc now. Guy is amazing and matches up very will with Cruz.

Bw has gotten ridiculously stacked in recent years. Cody, Almeida, Jimmie, Aljo, Lineker and Scoggins is prolly moving up now.

Now to mention the great talent outside the Ufc like Ramos, Yam, Valiev, Caldwell etc.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#265 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:47 pm

I feel like Moraes has officially fought and beaten every fighter from that Ronda/Meisha season of TUF. At least the ones that didn't make it to the ufc.

edit: NVM I was thinking he fought 3 of them but just looked up his record and saw that he actually just fought Josh Hill twice (as well as Bollinger). :lol:
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,882

Post#266 » by GSP » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:23 pm

REDDzone wrote:I feel like Moraes has officially fought and beaten every fighter from that Ronda/Meisha season of TUF. At least the ones that didn't make it to the ufc.

edit: NVM I was thinking he fought 3 of them but just looked up his record and saw that he actually just fought Josh Hill twice (as well as Bollinger). :lol:

Hill and Sheymon are both very solid fighters. Hopefully Marlon leaves Wsof now. Ali was very shady with his past contract.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#267 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:28 pm

Agreed on all counts.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#268 » by REDDzone » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:01 am

So WSOF canceled two events in order to merge cards for a bigger better NYE card in NY (Moraes/Gaethje/Fitch/Shields, etc.). That said, and I apologize for not being able to find the article, but apparently that event is in danger due to the shadiness of having Ali Abdel-Aziz as their matchmaker/manager at the same time.

Really thing about how scummy that is for a second. This guy was managing fighters at the same time as being a matchmaker and running the org. Just imagine how people would feel if Joe Silva was a manager to certain fighters. The fallout would be unbelievable.

With that said, there IS a little bit of that conflict of interest going on in the ufc right now. WME represents certain fighters. For example, Ronda Rousey. This came up a lot in the last few weeks as Ronda has resurfaced. MMA media has also posed the question about whether or not GSP/UFC would be having the issues they are currently having if WME represented him as well as Ronda. According to Georges, the deal was almost done, then the sell to WME went through and they put the kabosh on it.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,279

Post#269 » by Shaazzam » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Yeah, because GSP's management is in competition with WME.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#270 » by REDDzone » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:56 am

Just heard Marlon Moraes is fighting "Josenaldo Silva" next. I legit thought that was a guy reebok made up the first time I heard it.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#271 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 1, 2017 5:47 am

Sounds like something weird came up on a scan for Fitch, says he's probably retired.

Fat Mirgs stood up the Gaethe fight when his opponent was in bottom half with a deep underhook looking for a sweep or backtake. Just no awareness of wtf is going on as one of the most utilized refs in the game. Sad!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#272 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 1, 2017 5:52 am

Six minutes into this main event I've already counted at least 3 Gaethe fence grabs.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#273 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 1, 2017 7:05 pm

REDDzone wrote:Six minutes into this main event I've already counted at least 3 Gaethe fence grabs.

Which is 3 more times than he moved his head in any punching exchange. He's a fun fighter to watch, but he's gonna get his head taken off if he ever finds his way to the UFC and starts fighting better strikers.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,506

Post#274 » by Bernman » Sun Jan 1, 2017 8:53 pm

Between the body type and association with Blackzilians, I'd be shocked if Firmino wasn't juicing. He wouldn't have that luxury in the UFC. The combo of scrambling ability, durability, heart, power, and offensive tools he displayed to overcome a guy likely juiced to the gills, that was arguably Gaethje's best performance. The problem would be he already has a lot of mileage on that brain before he'd enter the UFC. He's a skilled version of Mike Perry. 24 fights between pros and ammys without a loss, that's impressive. But if he's on the downside when he enters the UFC, that's all he'll be viewed as, unfortunately.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#275 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 1, 2017 9:24 pm

Bernman wrote:Between the body type and association with Blackzilians, I'd be shocked if Firmino wasn't juicing. He wouldn't have that luxury in the UFC. The combo of scrambling ability, durability, heart, power, and offensive tools he displayed to overcome a guy likely juiced to the gills, that was arguably Gaethje's best performance. The problem would be he already has a lot of mileage on that brain before he'd enter the UFC. He's a skilled version of Mike Perry. 24 fights between pros and ammys without a loss, that's impressive. But if he's on the downside when he enters the UFC, that's all he'll be viewed as, unfortunately.

Gaethje is a crazy talented kid, he just forgets his wrestling and striking defense and welcomes a fire fight every time out. That isn't a smart career move. He has all the skills to be a top tier UFC LW, but his obsession with taking two to give one is a dangerous move against elite guys like Ferguson and dos Anjos.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts