TUF Brazil: Chael vs. Wanderlei (UFN 42: 5/31)

Moderator: lilfishi22

singh_shady
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,149

Re: Dana White talks Chael vs Wanderlei fist fight on TUF se 

Post#21 » by singh_shady » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:47 pm

blkout wrote:
Everyone in Brazil works out to some extent. Everyone from the fighters to the family members are muscular.

I spent two months in Brazil a few years ago and can confirm that every dude there is jacked. Most are on the juice and everyone skips out on leg day. Very machismo culture

That video of the 'fight' was hilarious
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Re: TUF Brazil: Chael vs. Wanderlei 

Post#22 » by blkout » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm up to date now. In the preview for the rest of the season Chael says he can smell alcohol on Wanderlei, which really explains quite a lot. He threw a tantrum and threatened to quit the show if Chael didn't apologize for the things he's said about Brazil. He didn't apologize and Silva had to come back like hours later and carry on with the show. I'm guessing he got a "what the **** are you doing" call from Dana.

The fighters all cry a lot. They talk about their lives and how they'd die in the cage if they had to, then they tap as soon as someone gets close to a submission on them, one guy quit because his finger was dislocated etc.

One thing that made me laugh was this flabby HW who was basically a punching bag for the entire fight before having his head kicked into the third row and being knocked out cold. Cut to Wanderlei saying if any of the other HW's get injured that guy will be called in as a replacement.

There are a few solid fighters. Maybe 4-5 who I think could make it.

This basically sums up the women's contribution to TUF this season...

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#23 » by CPT » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:51 pm

Sounds like this may be worth watching for the unintentional comedy.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by blkout » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:45 am

After hours of waiting, Wanderlei decides to come back and coach the show despite Chael refusing to apologize...

Wanderlei (to the fighters):
We had a bit of a quarrel, my opponent didn't want to redeem himself over what he said about us. But I honour my agreements, and I made an agreement with you guys. I won't take your dream away from you. He'll apologize in the worst possible manner, it'll be the day we fight. I'll knock him out hard, I'll hurt him.

Chael (to camera):
He runs out of ideas. The guy's not a thinker.

I laughed my ass off. The delivery is perfect.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,802

Post#25 » by NZB2323 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:06 pm

Do you guys remember when we got excited about TUF and UFC events? Good times.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#26 » by kdawg32086 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:05 pm

NZB2323 wrote:Do you guys remember when we got excited about TUF and UFC events? Good times.

Sadly I do. If this TUF is as bad as it sounds, it might drive more and more fans away.

I think the golden years of MMA are kinda behind us (07-12). I feel less and less enthusiastic about every event.

Sent from my LG-C800 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by blkout » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:35 pm

TUF's problem is that instead of filling the show with the best prospects not already signed to a major organization, they're going for "personality" and filling it with guys who are **** and a handful of legit fighters. I lost count of the amount of guys on this TUF who had like 7-4 records.

Then there's also decisions that make no sense whatsoever, like for the first TUF Australia vs UK they rejected Gustavo Falciroli because he didn't fit the "personality" profile they were after despite being by far the best Australian fighter in the lighter weights. They rejected John Wayne-Parr for this current TUF Nations season because he didn't have the minimum number of MMA fights. Just bizarre.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#28 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:29 am

They rejected JWP cos he was 38 at the time of the try-outs... ^^^ What kind of future does he have in MMA? He admitted that the contract even said like 20-30 year olds only (or thereabouts).
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#29 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:57 am

I talked to some dudes at some regional mma events when I lived in MN. Lots of talented local/regional fighters there. I know a few who tried out for TUF, the word was that they were rejected based on not really having a "character" or interesting background, as most were just normal guys with strong wrestling backgrounds.

Who knows how accurate that was though, as it was mostly coming from them or dudes who trained with them.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by CPT » Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:23 am

Is Fight Night 42 in Sao Paolo also serving as the show's finale? It would make sense, but I don't see anything about the finale fights anywhere.

Either way, the card to date:

Wanderlei Silva vs. Chael Sonnen
Paulo Thiago vs. Gasan Umalatov
Demian Maia vs. Mike Pierce
Mark Eddiva vs. Kevin Souza
Ernest Chavez vs. Elias Silverio
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by blkout » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:09 am

cowboyronnie wrote:They rejected JWP cos he was 38 at the time of the try-outs... ^^^ What kind of future does he have in MMA? He admitted that the contract even said like 20-30 year olds only (or thereabouts).

If they're doing TUF to try and expand the sport in those countries then it's borderline (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to reject one of the most famous fighters in said country. Even if he only fought once, or lost on the show it'd be enough to give it some sort of profile.

I mean they picked one guy who fights 2 weight classes under for the first TUF largely because he's in a well known gang and he was in the documentary about them.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#32 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 1, 2014 12:32 pm

blkout wrote:If they're doing TUF to try and expand the sport in those countries then it's borderline (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to reject one of the most famous fighters in said country. Even if he only fought once, or lost on the show it'd be enough to give it some sort of profile.

I mean they picked one guy who fights 2 weight classes under for the first TUF largely because he's in a well known gang and he was in the documentary about them.

I mean they picked purple mohawked let me bang bro guy.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Re: TUF Brazil: Chael vs. Wanderlei (UFN 42: 5/31) 

Post#33 » by SDM » Tue Apr 1, 2014 1:28 pm

Well, when you let Mark Hunt and his 6-7 record fight, you can't get picky about 7-4 regional cans. On paper, they're better than Hunt. And we know Hunt is awesome, so these guys are at least twice as awesome.

(haven't watched TUF in a few seasons, but I can depend on a half dozen guys breaking out to the top of their divisions each season)
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#34 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Apr 4, 2014 5:50 pm

These fighters are terrible. Watching the 4th ep, with Wands first pick against the balding dude...hitting the pads, theyre really unskilled. Having to find HWs is the issue here, I'm sure. Other weight classes might be more flush in Brasil.

Lotsa fatties.

Dida and Wandy seem to be pretty good coaches, maybe equal to Sonnen given his deficit in language and bond (can't instruct during fights at all, really).

Sonne's technical coaching seems top-notch and you know he is dedicated to the guys.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#35 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Apr 4, 2014 5:53 pm

singh_shady wrote:
blkout wrote:
Everyone in Brazil works out to some extent. Everyone from the fighters to the family members are muscular.

I spent two months in Brazil a few years ago and can confirm that every dude there is jacked. Most are on the juice and everyone skips out on leg day. Very machismo culture

LOL!

How do machismo and all the transsexualism blend? Genuine question.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#36 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Apr 4, 2014 9:27 pm

Serious talent in the Aussia vs Canada TUF though, IMO. That Aus with the beard in the last ep had beautiful boxing and looked strong as hell. That judoka he faced looked really skilled too. I'd bet they each make runs in some UFC prelims.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#37 » by AussieBuck » Fri Apr 4, 2014 11:31 pm

JWP would have been awesome. He's a proper scary dude.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by blkout » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:17 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Serious talent in the Aussia vs Canada TUF though, IMO. That Aus with the beard in the last ep had beautiful boxing and looked strong as hell. That judoka he faced looked really skilled too. I'd bet they each make runs in some UFC prelims.

I haven't seen any of it, was the racist Islander guy on the Aussie team any good? I read he eliminated one of Canada's biggest hopes.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#39 » by Headliner » Sat Apr 5, 2014 10:37 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
singh_shady wrote:
blkout wrote:

LOL!

How do machismo and all the transsexualism blend? Genuine question.

Probably the same way it is does in prison?
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by CPT » Wed Apr 9, 2014 11:40 pm

The finale show will now feature JDS vs. Miocic, with Sonnen vs. Wandy moving to UFC 175.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts