Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 3

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 3 

Post#761 » by REDDzone » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:42 pm

I read on another forum that Goldy has been canned lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#762 » by blkout » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:52 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/10/13/6970069/ufc-korean-zombie-chan-sung-jung-out-for-two-years-military-service-requirement-mma-news

I've always known all S.Korean males have to do mandatory 2yr military service but that never crossed my mind with KZ. It may be good for him to take some time off to rehab all his injuries and come back strong. Still sad to see him away from the sport for another 2 years when his last fight was already a year ago.

It's interesting the effect this sort of thing has on sportsmen. Over here a lot of Polynesian rugby league/union players go on 2 year Mormon missions, usually right as their career is taking off. So far none of them have come back the same or as successful as they were. Probably the most promising teenager in football (soccer) at the moment is a 16 year old South Korean who plays for Barcelona, there's concerns about his military service in the future as well and how that might impact his career/development.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#763 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:10 pm

I'd imagine if he becomes established as more than just the premier S Korean player in the top league in the world, he could get exempt, especially if he plays on the SK WC team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea_national_under-23_football_team

The bronze medal winning team of 2012 Summer Olympics and the gold medal winning team of 2014 Asian Games were granted exemptions from mandatory military service

SK MLB player Shin-Soo Choo, also got an excemption for participating and wining gold SK in the 2010 Asian games.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#764 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:24 am

Therr no thread for this? Nov 8 - Uberlandia, Brasil

Mauricio Rua vs. Jimi Manuwa
Ovince Saint Preux vs. Francimar Barroso
John Lineker vs. Ian McCall
Warlley Alves vs. Alan Jouban
Juliana Lima vs. Nina Ansaroff
Claudio Silva vs. Leon Edwards
Caio Magalhaes vs. Trevor Smith
Dhiego Lima vs. Pawel Pawlak
Leandro Silva vs. Charlie Brenneman
Thomas Almeida vs. Tim Gorman
Wagner Silva vs. Colby Covington
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#765 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:15 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Therr no thread for this? Nov 8 - Uberlandia, Brasil

Mauricio Rua vs. Jimi Manuwa
Ovince Saint Preux vs. Francimar Barroso
John Lineker vs. Ian McCall
Warlley Alves vs. Alan Jouban
Juliana Lima vs. Nina Ansaroff
Claudio Silva vs. Leon Edwards
Caio Magalhaes vs. Trevor Smith
Dhiego Lima vs. Pawel Pawlak
Leandro Silva vs. Charlie Brenneman
Thomas Almeida vs. Tim Gorman
Wagner Silva vs. Colby Covington

Have very little interest in watching Shogun fight again. Even less so against Manuwa. Only McCall and Lineker is interesting because there is potential title implications for both guys. FWIW, what Brazil cards give up in name value, they usually end up better than expected.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#766 » by CPT » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:33 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I'd imagine if he becomes established as more than just the premier S Korean player in the top league in the world, he could get exempt, especially if he plays on the SK WC team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea_national_under-23_football_team

The bronze medal winning team of 2012 Summer Olympics and the gold medal winning team of 2014 Asian Games were granted exemptions from mandatory military service

SK MLB player Shin-Soo Choo, also got an excemption for participating and wining gold SK in the 2010 Asian games.

Yeah, Zombie is one of the higher profile guys I've heard of actually having to do it.

You can pick up an Asian Games medal for like archery or something and get out of it, while a guy who has fought at the highest level in a mainstream sport has to do his service.

The Barcelona kid will pick up an Asian Games gold or Olympic medal and be done with it, I think. The Asian Games are a joke by the way. Korea played their All-Star team vs. a bunch of high school/college kids/amateurs from other countries because their leagues didn't break play.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#767 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:49 am

I don't think UFC is high profile enough and certainly not mainstream. Also he's technically not representing SK.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 949

Post#768 » by SDM » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29 pm

blkout wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/10/13/6970069/ufc-korean-zombie-chan-sung-jung-out-for-two-years-military-service-requirement-mma-news

I've always known all S.Korean males have to do mandatory 2yr military service but that never crossed my mind with KZ. It may be good for him to take some time off to rehab all his injuries and come back strong. Still sad to see him away from the sport for another 2 years when his last fight was already a year ago.

It's interesting the effect this sort of thing has on sportsmen. Over here a lot of Polynesian rugby league/union players go on 2 year Mormon missions, usually right as their career is taking off. So far none of them have come back the same or as successful as they were. Probably the most promising teenager in football (soccer) at the moment is a 16 year old South Korean who plays for Barcelona, there's concerns about his military service in the future as well and how that might impact his career/development.

My cousins were at one point the #1 and #2 under-18 soccer prospects in Canada, but they were born in Greece and essentially fled to avoid the military. While in Toronto, one of them got offered a contract to be the backup goalie for a top Greek team, several hundred thousand dollars a year, but he'd have to do enter the service first. He declined and went to school to be a banker instead (and now has a mansion in one of the most exclusive neighbourhoods in Canada, so he did OK).
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#769 » by REDDzone » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:50 pm

MMAHour listen: Kampmann is punchy. Sounds like he retired to to concussions although he won't commit to it 100%. Kind of sad, saying how he wants to be healthy for his daughters, but he's stuttering through the whole interview.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#770 » by REDDzone » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:37 pm

So Chael has a podcast now, first guest Ariel. I'll probably listen tomorrow.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,499

Post#771 » by Bernman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:22 pm

REDDzone wrote:MMAHour listen: Kampmann is punchy. Sounds like he retired to to concussions although he won't commit to it 100%. Kind of sad, saying how he wants to be healthy for his daughters, but he's stuttering through the whole interview.

It's a sad reality when you're in this sport and you either refuse to or can't protect your head. His striking defense was terrible. He took a lot of blows over the years.

I wonder how long Cerrone has until it happens to him. He has similarly terrible striking d, although has never been knocked out with a head shot. But he does fight with ridiculous frequency. He's getting touted for that and revered for the money he's making from all his activity, but in the end it's gonna cost him. It's not a matter of if, but when.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#772 » by REDDzone » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:34 pm

Bernman wrote:It's a sad reality when you're in this sport and you either refuse to or can't protect your head. His striking defense was terrible. He took a lot of blows over the years.

I wonder how long Cerrone has until it happens to him. He has similarly terrible striking d, although has never been knocked out with a head shot. But he does fight with ridiculous frequency. He's getting touted for that and revered for the money he's making from all his activity, but in the end it's gonna cost him. It's not a matter of if, but when.

My guess is the vast majority of fighters will end up having serious issues in this regard. Obviously its a continuum and some guys will be worse than others.

Get rid of gloves imo.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#773 » by Jasen777 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Reports have Dana and GSP meeting in Montreal...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#774 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:44 pm

REDDzone wrote:MMAHour listen: Kampmann is punchy. Sounds like he retired to to concussions although he won't commit to it 100%. Kind of sad, saying how he wants to be healthy for his daughters, but he's stuttering through the whole interview.

I dunno if you've seen it but after one of the UFC events Crocop fought in, they showed him afterwards watching the rest of the event on the TV in the locker room and he was twitching on his face and his shoulder as well. Seems to be a culmination of the kind of punishment has had over his MMA/K1 career, it's kind of sad and scary too.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,499

Post#775 » by Bernman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:03 am

REDDzone wrote:My guess is the vast majority of fighters will end up having serious issues in this regard. Obviously its a continuum and some guys will be worse than others.

My best guess is it's about on par with boxing. As we've discussed before, there are some ways in which both are more dangerous than the other.

Only time will tell, and once enough of it has passed to do so, Dana will be in Boca outside his multi-million dollar beach house telling his resident cabana boys they are the f**king stupidest people in the world for putting lemon juice in his mai tai instead of lime.

Get rid of gloves imo.

I'm not sure if I get your point. Is that a shot at Rogan/the UFC for obsessing about the relatively minor problem of fingers in the eyes while those fighters are suffering life-altering head trauma too?

lilfishi22 wrote:I dunno if you've seen it but after one of the UFC events Crocop fought in, they showed him afterwards watching the rest of the event on the TV in the locker room and he was twitching on his face and his shoulder as well. Seems to be a culmination of the kind of punishment has had over his MMA/K1 career, it's kind of sad and scary too.

Sounds like the early stages of Parkinson's. Nobody should have been sanctioning his fights a long time ago. Adults usually can make their own decisions, but not when irrational competitiveness and lost brain cells get in the way.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#776 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:06 am

Bernman wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Sounds like the early stages of Parkinson's. Nobody should have been sanctioning his fights a long time ago. Adults usually can make their own decisions, but not when irrational competitiveness and lost brain cells get in the way.

I'm no medical professional but it certainly looked that way. At first I thought he had something in his eye which is what's irritating him to move like that. Not easy to watch such a great champion, ambassador for the sport and just a good person all-round end with a medical condition like that.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nagpGfyMPmw[/youtube]
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#777 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:33 am

Bernman wrote:I'm not sure if I get your point. Is that a shot at Rogan/the UFC for obsessing about the relatively minor problem of fingers in the eyes while those fighters are suffering life-altering head trauma too?

No its an indictment of the fact that guys wouldn't be able to throw such an insane amount of punches at each other if not for gloves, and they wouldn't be able to throw so ridiculously hard all the time either. The gloves do nothing for head trauma, it actually makes it worse because guys throw harder and more often when they don't feel the impact with their hands/knuckles/wrists.

Bonus: guys could actually get rncs at a higher rate, and wrist locks could also enter the fray (though like straight ankle locks, I doubt we would see a lot of those).
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#778 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:42 am

Bernman wrote:
REDDzone wrote:My guess is the vast majority of fighters will end up having serious issues in this regard. Obviously its a continuum and some guys will be worse than others.

My best guess is it's about on par with boxing. As we've discussed before, there are some ways in which both are more dangerous than the other.

Only time will tell, and once enough of it has passed to do so, Dana will be in Boca outside his multi-million dollar beach house telling his resident cabana boys they are the f**king stupidest people in the world for putting lemon juice in his mai tai instead of lime.

Get rid of gloves imo.

I'm not sure if I get your point. Is that a shot at Rogan/the UFC for obsessing about the relatively minor problem of fingers in the eyes while those fighters are suffering life-altering head trauma too?

No gloves, you have to ease up on your punches...you can't throw certain punches and you can't throw any punches hard. Fighters protecting their own hands will protect others' brains. Is the logic. Look at those IVC events from Brazil back in the day.

I think a lot of injuries might occur in training, in head blows that happen over a long course of time - the 60-90 minutes within which your team spars. And that IS changing. God knows how the Brazilians are training, but no professional in NA is sparring more than a time or two a week.

BTW, I'd highly recommend the Jens Pulver appearance on MMARoasted for his depiction of MFS sparring back in the day. Yeesh. Psycho stuff. That kind of s*** is what leaves dudes with brain injuries.

Schaub and Marquardt have talked about Grudge and that pinhead Witman having really conscienceless sparring habits too. Waking dudes up off the ground and throwing them right back in. But that appears to also be changing.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#779 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:00 am

cowboyronnie wrote:No gloves, you have to ease up on your punches...you can't throw certain punches and you can't throw any punches hard. Fighters protecting their own hands will protect others' brains. Is the logic. Look at those IVC events from Brazil back in the day.

I think a lot of injuries might occur in training, in head blows that happen over a long course of time - the 60-90 minutes within which your team spars. And that IS changing. God knows how the Brazilians are training, but no professional in NA is sparring more than a time or two a week.

BTW, I'd highly recommend the Jens Pulver appearance on MMARoasted for his depiction of MFS sparring back in the day. Yeesh. Psycho stuff. That kind of s*** is what leaves dudes with brain injuries.

Schaub and Marquardt have talked about Grudge and that pinhead Witman having really conscienceless sparring habits too. Waking dudes up off the ground and throwing them right back in. But that appears to also be changing.

I'm terrible at coaches names, but who is the guy from Holland who was on mmahour recently? I get ATT and Blackzilians coaches mixed up but I think he was with one of those teams, and he was defending sparring hard a lot in training.

I'm happy that the trend in general seems to be moving away from this old school bs. Sparring everyday. For some dumbass reason a lot of oldschool Brazilian coaches won't let their students have water during class. Just crazy stuff with no positive purpose.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#780 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:29 am

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:No gloves, you have to ease up on your punches...you can't throw certain punches and you can't throw any punches hard. Fighters protecting their own hands will protect others' brains. Is the logic. Look at those IVC events from Brazil back in the day.

I'm terrible at coaches names, but who is the guy from Holland who was on mmahour recently? I get ATT and Blackzilians coaches mixed up but I think he was with one of those teams, and he was defending sparring hard a lot in training.

I'm happy that the trend in general seems to be moving away from this old school bs. Sparring everyday. For some dumbass reason a lot of oldschool Brazilian coaches won't let their students have water during class. Just crazy stuff with no positive purpose.

Henri Hooft?

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts