UFC Fight Night 45 (7/16): Cerrone vs. J. Miller (FS1)

Moderator: lilfishi22

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

UFC Fight Night 45 (7/16): Cerrone vs. J. Miller (FS1) 

Post#1 » by CPT » Sat Jun 7, 2014 2:17 pm

Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller
John Lineker vs. Alptekin Ozkilic
John Howard vs. Rick Story
Pat Healy vs. Gleison Tibau
Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham
Jim Alers vs. Lucas Martins
Aljamain Sterling vs. Hugo Viana
Joe Proctor vs. Justin Salas
Kenny Robertson vs. opponent TBA

Thought this was Cerrone vs. Cole Miller and got excited, even though this is a more relevant fight. I'm a sucker for the pro wrestling stuff I guess.

Actually a pretty sweet card, focused on the lower weight classes. Bunch of top 20 guys in their divisions fighting other top 20 guys.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,760

Re: UFC Fight Night 45 (7/16): Cerrone vs. J. Miller (FS1) 

Post#2 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:13 pm

This is tonight, LMAO! ROFL! Wow so much interest! ;) Hehe!
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Should be a decent free card, wish Howard didn't get injured and still fighting Story.

Official updated card

Donald Cerrone vs Jim Miller
Edson Barboza vs Evan Dunham
Rick Story vs Leonardo Mafra
Justin Salas vs Joe Proctor
John Lineker vs Alptekin Ozkilic
Lucas Martins vs Alex White

Gleason Tibau vs Pat Healy
Jessamyn Duke vs Leslie Smith
Hugo Viana vs Aljamian Sterling
Yosdenis Cedeno vs Jerrod Sanders

Claudia Gadelha vs Tina Lahdemaki
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#4 » by Wo1verine » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:07 pm

I am actually not a fan of this card at least on paper.

Lets hope for some blood shed and KOs tonight.
BrunoSkull
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:04 am

WOOOOOWWWWOOWOWO THAT WAS A HUGE UPSET! ;) Hehe! Good on her! :P! :)! :D!
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:36 am

Oh, there's a card today. And strawweights :o
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#7 » by spykelee » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:01 am

I'm stocked for the main event today. Love both guys, it should be an awesome fight.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#8 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:57 am

Some good fights so far. They were well matched by Silva and Shelby, and they have a lot of guys who fight to entertain. Aljamain is one of them. Happy for my boy he got a win in the process.

But the only two fights that created significant anticipation on this card are Barboza-Dunham and Cerrone-Miller.

I think we are going to get a quick finish in the Barboza-Dunham fight. And I think it comes from Barboza. While I've belabored points about glaring flaws I see from him, Dunham is not one to exploit them. He has terrible power and technique, and typically doesn't fight to his strength of bjj. However, his flaws Barboza should be able to exploit, just like Guillard did. Guillard beat him with athleticism, power, and better offensive technique, which Barboza has himself in spades.

As for Cerrone-Miller, I have a hard time not seeing that one be a war. Both guys are well-rounded, super tough, and fight to finish. But their toughness should preclude it for a while. In the end, I give Cerrone the edge to win the crown of best gatekeeper in the lightweight division. Cardio in a 5-rd fight is the main reason. The occasional flash of brilliance like against Martins, and the occasional use of reach like against Stephens, are others. But he's inconsistent at using those attributes, so I can't presume he will this time. Maybe Miller can take advantage if he doesn't, and has much better stamina than in the fight against Healy (who tonight was further exposed as a pedestrian fighter, so that's a black mark on Jim's record).
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#9 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:03 am

Bernman wrote:As for Cerrone-Miller, I have a hard time not seeing that one be a war. Both guys are well-rounded, super tough, and fight to finish. But their toughness should preclude it for a while. In the end, I give Cerrone the edge to win the crown of best gatekeeper in the lightweight division. Cardio in a 5-rd fight is the main reason. The occasional flash of brilliance like against Martins, and the occasional use of reach like against Stephens, are others. But he's inconsistent at using those attributes, so I can't presume he will this time. Maybe Miller can take advantage if he doesn't, and has much better stamina than in the fight against Healy (who tonight was further exposed as a pedestrian fighter, so that's a black mark on Jim's record).

You know I don't buy into excuses at all, but isn't the Healy fight the one for Jim Miller when his pregnant wife was in a car accident the day before the fight? yikes.

I favor Cerrone though, for sure. I like both guys though and will be fine with either winning.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#10 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:12 am

REDDzone wrote:You know I don't buy into excuses at all, but isn't the Healy fight the one for Jim Miller when his pregnant wife was in a car accident the day before the fight? yikes.

I favor Cerrone though, for sure. I like both guys though and will be fine with either winning.

I've never heard that story before. If so, that would explain the relative anomaly.

Unfortunately that fight, RDA's win over Cerrone when he seemingly had one foot out the door, and the fortunate decision vs. Tibau, has fueled the Khabib hype train. Now we have to hear about how Khabib is coming every day. I still don't buy it. I think he's a robot, a style which has its limitations toward the top as CBR has illustrated, and I think he eventually gets exposed as not that serious of a champ contender over time.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#11 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:26 am

Bernman wrote:I've never heard that story before. If so, that would explain the relative anomaly.

Unfortunately that fight, RDA's win over Cerrone when he seemingly had one foot out the door, and the fortunate decision vs. Tibau, has fueled the Khabib hype train. Now we have to hear about how Khabib is coming every day. I still don't buy it. I think he's a robot, a style which has its limitations toward the top as CBR has illustrated, and I think he eventually gets exposed as not that serious of a champ contender over time.

The weird thing with Khabib is, he gets like 838383 takedowns per fight, but why is that even necessary? Guys like GSP only need one per round. :D
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:36 am

HERE WE GGGGOOOOOO!!!!! OH YA!!! No idea whose got this! I want at least 3/4 rounds of awesome & exciting action!! Woohoo!!! leggo!! :P! :)! :D!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by spykelee » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:42 am

Awesome round!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#14 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:42 am

Jim Miller looks like a hobbit.

A hobbit that could beat you and any three friends of yours up at any given time, but still a hobbit. :)
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#15 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:44 am

LOL @ Mirgs. Standard incompetence.

Rooting for Cerrone now just because I think he had a chance to finish and got screwed.

Eekkk after those kicks to the body and head, Miller would have probably been better off getting finished witht he first kick. Yikes.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#16 » by duppyy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:47 am

Great event.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by spykelee » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:48 am

This is a different Cerrone than we've seen in the past. I'm convinced he's more than a gate keeper. This guy is a vet who's taking it seriously now. He's been nothing short of a calculated killer the last couple years. He deserves another title shot.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:49 am

Well that was anticlimactic, dang it! :( I was 100% convinced it was going 2 go at least 3/4 rounds..

That's not 2 much 2 ask is it?!? Bah! Grats to Cerrone! Cowboy hats off 2 him! ;)! Lolz! :P! :)! :D!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#19 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:59 am

spykelee wrote:This is a different Cerrone than we've seen in the past. I'm convinced he's more than a gate keeper. This guy is a vet who's taking it seriously now. He's been nothing short of a calculated killer the last couple years. He deserves another title shot.

Well he never got the first did he?

IDK man I love watching him fight but I'm skeptical. Pettis made superrrrr short work of him with ease but I think the main thing is that I'm not the biggest RDA believer and RDA beat him within the last year.

Hell Barboza had him hurt several times in his last fight, props to him for weathering that storm.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by spykelee » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:08 am

REDDzone wrote:
spykelee wrote:This is a different Cerrone than we've seen in the past. I'm convinced he's more than a gate keeper. This guy is a vet who's taking it seriously now. He's been nothing short of a calculated killer the last couple years. He deserves another title shot.

Well he never got the first did he?

IDK man I love watching him fight but I'm skeptical. Pettis made superrrrr short work of him with ease but I think the main thing is that I'm not the biggest RDA believer and RDA beat him within the last year.

Hell Barboza had him hurt several times in his last fight, props to him for weathering that storm.

Well he hasn't had a title shot in the UFC, but he fought Benson twice for the title in WEC and Jaime Varner once... But this is a guy who's 11-3 in the UFC. I think he deserves to at least be in a title eliminator. He used to be a guy who you never knew who showed up... But I'm not seeing that anymore. I'm seeing a guy who's consistently putting it together. A guy who knows his strengths and weakness. A dynamic striker who's also a credible grappler and submission guy. A veteran who's composed inside the octagon. He's got good toughness... I just think this is a guy who's finally taking it seriously and putting it together, and I'd love to see him get into a title elimanator.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts