The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,441

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#501 » by Susan » Sun Sep 4, 2022 12:57 pm

REDDzone wrote:Not sure if anyone still reads this thread but for those interested, I received my brown belt in brazilian jiu jitsu last weekend.

I remember posting on this board before I even started training over a decade ago and Susan is the one who actually pointed me in the direction of the gym I ended up choosing even though I was intimidated by it. I have since moved on, but it was certainly the best choice for me at the time.

It's been a long road but very much worth it. I encourage anyone to start if you are thinking about making the leap.

I was a 21 year old white belt and Scott (RZ's old coach) would come down from Milwaukee once a week to train with Comprido (who would shortly afterwards go on to train Brock Lesnar in BJJ) because he was the best in the area. Scott was always so gracious and helpful towards me and BJJ at that point helped change my life in so many ways. I was working a deadend warehouse job, partying on the weekends and a two time dropout - but I made sure to come through every week when Scott was there because I knew he was a real one. Who knows where I would have ended up if BJJ didn't stick with me, but I'm glad it did.

I'm now 35 years old and back into running (doing the Chicago Marathon in a few weeks here, ran in HS and was a huge runner nerd back in the day) and don't think I'll ever train BJJ again but I wanted to tell that story. The impact you can have on somebody is far from minimal RZ.

Congratulations my man, it's a shame we never got to fight one another on the mats but at least we can continue to argue over the merit of the UFC having the 125 lb division until we're old men.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#502 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Sep 9, 2022 2:16 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Not sure if anyone still reads this thread but for those interested, I received my brown belt in brazilian jiu jitsu last weekend.

I remember posting on this board before I even started training over a decade ago and Susan is the one who actually pointed me in the direction of the gym I ended up choosing even though I was intimidated by it. I have since moved on, but it was certainly the best choice for me at the time.

It's been a long road but very much worth it. I encourage anyone to start if you are thinking about making the leap.

I was a 21 year old white belt and Scott (RZ's old coach) would come down from Milwaukee once a week to train with Comprido (who would shortly afterwards go on to train Brock Lesnar in BJJ) because he was the best in the area. Scott was always so gracious and helpful towards me and BJJ at that point helped change my life in so many ways. I was working a deadend warehouse job, partying on the weekends and a two time dropout - but I made sure to come through every week when Scott was there because I knew he was a real one. Who knows where I would have ended up if BJJ didn't stick with me, but I'm glad it did.

I'm now 35 years old and back into running (doing the Chicago Marathon in a few weeks here, ran in HS and was a huge runner nerd back in the day) and don't think I'll ever train BJJ again but I wanted to tell that story. The impact you can have on somebody is far from minimal RZ.

Congratulations my man, it's a shame we never got to fight one another on the mats but at least we can continue to argue over the merit of the UFC having the 125 lb division until we're old men.

This is very cool. Discovering martial arts really impacted me too. Though, I don't know if its positive effect outweighs the head trauma and damage to various bodily systems from over-exercising, trying to gain weight with diet regimens, and pills.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#503 » by REDDzone » Fri Sep 9, 2022 8:06 pm

Yea. Unfortunately I don't have problems gaining weight but I've had my share of injuries in martial arts for sure. All the typical jiu jitsu sh*t with two popped ribs and a torn meniscus. I also recently dislocated my finger which was honestly probably the most traumatic injury I've ever had lol (It went fully perpendicular and I reflexively popped it back into place). Luckily no back or neck issues as of yet. I'm just such a hobbyist that if my back or neck go then I'll just be done I think. TBH I wasn't sure I'd ever make it this far, would love for my body to hold on long enough to make black belt although my guess is that is several years away for me with my pace.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#504 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:38 pm

As announced by the UFC during their PPV event last night, UFC FightPass will now be the home of ADCC. Pretty cool. It was previously on FloGrappling which just sucks so hard. $150/year for neverending commercials (even for paid members!) and terrible reliability. I'm so glad that I can now probably just be done with Flo forever. I will miss Gi Worlds but f*ck it.

Also, seems like UFC is investing more heavily into grappling in general. I know their recent Gordon Ryan vs Nicky Rod match did very well. In addition to the rights to ADCC, NickyRod said on a recent podcast that the UFC is considering putting grappling matches on MMA undercards! Pretty interesting. OneFC does this now, very commonly.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,441

Post#505 » by Susan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:59 pm

REDDzone wrote:As announced by the UFC during their PPV event last night, UFC FightPass will now be the home of ADCC. Pretty cool. It was previously on FloGrappling which just sucks so hard. $150/year for neverending commercials (even for paid members!) and terrible reliability. I'm so glad that I can now probably just be done with Flo forever. I will miss Gi Worlds but f*ck it.

Also, seems like UFC is investing more heavily into grappling in general. I know their recent Gordon Ryan vs Nicky Rod match did very well. In addition to the rights to ADCC, NickyRod said on a recent podcast that the UFC is considering putting grappling matches on MMA undercards! Pretty interesting. OneFC does this now, very commonly.

ONEFC imo would be smart to attack the US market. What they're doing is superior to everything the UFC is doing.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts