Battlegrounds MMA

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Battlegrounds MMA 

Post#1 » by Jasen777 » Sat Oct 4, 2014 12:04 am

So a one night 8-man WW tourney apparently, featuring a few guys I've heard of.

But mainly I had to start a new thread because Cody McKenzie made weight by having a pint of blood taken out.

McKenzie (15-4) will collide against fellow UFC veteran Brock Larson (37-8), while Joe Ray (11-3) will meet Luigi Fiorvanti (24-11), Jesse Taylor (27-10) will meet Trey Houston (10-2), and Roan Carneiro will meet late replacement Randall Wallace (9-2).

All tournament fights are scheduled to be contested for three five-minute rounds. Elbows will not be permitted until the final match. The winner of the bracket will earn a $50,000 grand prize.

Three-time UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen and legendary WWE broadcaster Jim Ross are expected to announce the event, which will air live on pay-per-view Friday night.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Re: Battlegrounds MMA 

Post#2 » by CPT » Sat Oct 4, 2014 12:47 am

If someone was going to do that, of course it would be Cody McKenzie. The doctor said it was safe, but I feel like there should be some kind of rule against that.

The biggest draw for me is the commentary team of Chael and JR, but not big enough to watch this.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Sat Oct 4, 2014 3:56 am

I despise Cody McKenzie.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Varejao17
Rookie
And1: 165

Post#4 » by Varejao17 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 9:20 pm

Roan "Jucão" Carneiro won it all...
props to C.lupus
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#5 » by SDM » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:11 pm

Varejao17 wrote:Roan "Jucão" Carneiro won it all...

And was promptly robbed of $15K by the commission for "not seeing the doctor fast enough".
Varejao17
Rookie

Post#6 » by Varejao17 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:07 pm

SDM wrote:And was promptly robbed of $15K by the commission for "not seeing the doctor fast enough".

Yessir, was going to talk about it, that's BS at it's finest... I'm mad!
props to C.lupus
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#7 » by REDDzone » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:18 pm

I was kind of hoping Larson would win.

Back when I lived in MN and was just getting back into mma, he had/had a little promotion up there. He had a bunch of fighters, half of which were amateur and they were just whatever I didn't think anything of them, but he was probably the first decently high level dude I ever saw in person. I remember him walking around and being just the most intimidating human being. First off he's huge despite being a ww. Seemed like a nice enough guy but also I remember thinking the dude could pop my head off like a champagne bottle cork if he wanted to. Then I remember thinking there are dudes who would own him, and then dudes who could own the dudes who could own him, and probably add another link to that chain as well. Really gave me a new respect for the sport and its athletes.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Varejao17
Rookie

Post#8 » by Varejao17 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:25 pm

I felt the same way when I met Ronaldo Souza and Adriano Martins...
props to C.lupus
SDM
RealGM

Post#9 » by SDM » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:40 pm

It's funny, the MMA sites had sensational headlines about him being "robbed" immediately after winning.

I was like, "where, at gunpoint outside his hotel? They gave him that much in cash!?!?".
Varejao17
Rookie

Post#10 » by Varejao17 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 6:00 pm

And then you read the new and realise it's even worse!
props to C.lupus
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#11 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Oct 8, 2014 5:32 pm

On Monday, OSAC Executive Director Joe Miller clarified why the fine was levied on "Jucao," and explained the sequence of events as the commission saw it.

"At weigh in, which occurred at 12 noon Thursday, October 2, I gave my rules meeting as I normally do," Miller wrote via email to MMA Fighting. "During the rules meeting I was very specific (four times) I told the fighters, coaches, seconds, etc, that they must report for their pre-bout physicals at 7:00 and gave the location, which was in the hotel that the fighters were staying in. I also made comment that if they did not show up on time that I may cancel their bout, they may be suspended, or fined. The Commission showed up at the physical room in the hotel at 6:30. The four docs showed up a little before 7:00. Carneiro was not present. He was called and texted with no reply. He finally replied to a text at about 7:15 and said he was on his way down. He was texted again about 10-15 minutes later and did not reply. All of the fighters had completed their physicals and the docs were asking where Carneiro was.

"He finally showed up at 8:05. The commission withheld 30 percent of his purse, pending a hearing, which is our standard procedure for fighters who show up late to a weigh-in, check-in or physical exam. Carneiro will receive a certified letter from the commission ('Notice of Hearing') describing his violation and giving him the right to explain and appeal. Upon conclusion of the hearing there will be a findings of fact and an order issued. That order will include any punishment that Carneiro will receive for rule violations. I cannot tell you at this time what that punishment will be."

Seems sort of fair...and also totally unsympathetic. He'd better get a good portion of that money back. $2,500 for effing with them seems fair.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
SDM
RealGM

Post#12 » by SDM » Thu Oct 9, 2014 1:20 pm

Court Bauer speculated that the fine was so heavy because the gate (and the commission's cut) was so poor. Don't know much about his contacts within MMA though.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts