Street applicability of BJJ and MMA, gi, nogi etc.

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Street applicability of BJJ and MMA, gi, nogi etc. 

Post#21 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:05 am

Back to jasen's original gi vs nogi thing. Someone asked Cole Miller on the UG yesterday about how often he trains in the gi during camp:

Cole Miller wrote:
Thanks I try to always whether in camp or out of camp to get one gi session at least per week. This session is for me. Fighting Mma sucks. It hurts. Your body breaks down. You're always tired. You always hurt. But it's what I've done the past 11 years of my life so too late for a career change. I try to have the gi session even in camp so I have one session that is fun and therapeutic. Not to mention it helps you stay tight I think in all areas I think.

I think his latter point gets at the theory behind it. Supposedly the gi game is more slow and technical as opposed to explosive. So for example the logic is if you can escape someone's back control while wearing a gi, you can definitely escape it without. If you can escape a leg lock in the gi, your defense is super sharp without. Same also goes for certain chokes, darce/anaconda/guillotine...if you are snagging those in the gi, its cake without it. Not to mention, like CM says, the gi is honestly a blast. :D

Lots of really good guys, like Marcelo for example, will train in the gi to let his opponent have all the traditional grips to control him and break his posture, but doesn't use the gi for his own benefit at all. So he just uses the nogi game of underhooks, etc. Best of both worlds in that case because you are fighting the disadvantages but getting none of the advantages.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#22 » by SDM » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Fighting randoms is possibly the dumbest thing ever. Folks just need to watch someone get needlessly stabbed to death and their attitudes about it will change overnight. Everyone acts tough when they have their friends behind them... and even if they're alone and yappy, they probably have a weapon. Generally, anyone starting **** with any random in public is someone to be avoided.

I know a British boxer who KO'd a guy (one shot wobbled him, second put him down, third took him out) who tried to rob him at Allen Gardens, though he ended up breaking his foot stomping the guy.

My brother the third degree TKD black belt fought to a draw when someone tried to carjack him. The guy was much larger and eventually ran away, my brother had bruising and a black eye, so I guess that's a victory.

RE: Knee on belly. Not gonna lie, when I fantasize about being the street fighting kill machine I'll never, ever be, the immediate takedown and knee on belly would be my move. I'd probably go for a kimura too. I think less than 1% of the random general population would have the faintest clue how to defend knee on belly and then a kimura, while there are faster and quicker guys who might be able to counter strikes, as long as they don't windmill. Of course, this is all useless if there's more than one person, which there usually is. There are no men left in this world.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#23 » by SDM » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Also, kneeing of balls, grabbing of ears, pulling of hair, eyepoking, and fishhooking is underrated.

I like Matthew Slaughter/Hal Hartley's advice to would-be ish disturbers: you may beat me down and kill me and not a single person would care, but I will kick and scrape and I can guarantee that I am leaving with one of your eyeballs.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#24 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:37 pm

SDM wrote:RE: Knee on belly. Not gonna lie, when I fantasize about being the street fighting kill machine I'll never, ever be, the immediate takedown and knee on belly would be my move. I'd probably go for a kimura too. I think less than 1% of the random general population would have the faintest clue how to defend knee on belly and then a kimura, while there are faster and quicker guys who might be able to counter strikes, as long as they don't windmill. Of course, this is all useless if there's more than one person, which there usually is. There are no men left in this world.

Knee on neck works too.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#25 » by Susan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:35 am

I was able to use BJJ as self defense without any issue. Of course nothing works against multiple people besides running.

The time I was able to apply it, we were leaving a bar and this drunk guy came running at us. He ended up hitting my friend in the head which I then took him down and mounted him within seconds. It was all muscle memory for me and he had nothing for me. From there I was able to convince him that he was **** in that position and to chill the **** out.

In a 1 on 1 street fight, BJJ is more than enough. You take the poor dude down, mount them and pound their face in. You've been in these positions for hours and hours before so there's a very small likelyhood that some random untrained person will do anything to stop you.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#26 » by High 5 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:01 am

I haven't been in a fight since grade school. I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone get into a fight. I've never felt worse than slightly uncomfortable on the MARTA and people film worldstarhiphip videos on there all the time. What am I doing wrong?
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,724

Post#27 » by AussieBuck » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:38 am

I trained with a few guy I think could take 2-3 average unarmed dudes. But yeah your well trained guy and your pro/international rep amateur are a different kind of badass. I've only been involved in a couple of minor scuffles personally and none more than one on one. I did badly embarrass myself recently though and learned that whatever skills you may have aren't there any more when you are hammered. :D
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#28 » by Rasheeed!!! » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:29 am

Best option is to run away as that guarantees your safety more than other options. I train boxing + MT so these would be my options. I’m thinking a nice Jon Jones style eye poke with the lead hand followed by a kick to the knee and then get the fudge out of there.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts