UFC Announces a Deal with Reebok

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC Announces a Deal with Reebok 

Post#101 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:31 pm

SDM wrote:What happens if you're the rightful #1 contender but Dana signs a guy from Ireland with one tenth the track record who happens to run his mouth?

I think the guys who will see the biggest paycuts are the big names who aren't at the top anymore. Diego Sanchez isn't close to close to being top 15. Yet he would probably garner a lot of sponsorship dollars without reebok.

Additionall all divisions aren't created equally. Is Aisling Daly really going to get the same amount of money as the #7 lw/ww in the world? Like, is Aisling Daly really going to make the same as Donald Cerrone (just as example, IDK the exact rankings here). Seems ridiculous if true though.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#102 » by SDM » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:54 pm

REDDzone wrote:
SDM wrote:What happens if you're the rightful #1 contender but Dana signs a guy from Ireland with one tenth the track record who happens to run his mouth?

I think the guys who will see the biggest paycuts are the big names who aren't at the top anymore. Diego Sanchez isn't close to close to being top 15. Yet he would probably garner a lot of sponsorship dollars without reebok.

Additionall all divisions aren't created equally. Is Aisling Daly really going to get the same amount of money as the #7 lw/ww in the world? Like, is Aisling Daly really going to make the same as Donald Cerrone (just as example, IDK the exact rankings here). Seems ridiculous if true though.

I'm hoping they release more specific details to assuage the rage coming from dudes like us. Folks are finding plenty of hypocritical/grey areas based on what they've said so far. They have a terrible reputation for how loyal their fans are, eventually something will give.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#103 » by Cammo101 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:22 pm

REDDzone wrote:Unless they get sponsorship money and THEN money from their exclusive deal on top of that for some reason?

This.

I suspect the deal breaks down as everyone gets a piece of said pie, the higher the ranking, the larger the piece. If you are the champion, you are then afforded the opportunity to do a separate deal with Reebok that will give you money on top of the money you get out of the fighters pie, without dipping into it. Because if you took that overage from the pie, you could never control what would actually be there and Reebok, at their whim, could give all that money to the top 8 most popular guys and leave zero for anyone else.

I have no insider info or anything, but this is what I always assumed it to be and it seems to make the most sense.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#104 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:28 pm

So if that's true I wonder what the deal is with Hendricks now.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#105 » by Cammo101 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:49 pm

REDDzone wrote:So if that's true I wonder what the deal is with Hendricks now.

That's a good question. Part of the reason I assumed what I did was because the fighter's share of the pie would become a mess if champs get big deals, then lose and keep their deal along with the new champ getting a bigger deal. It was shrink the pie significantly.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#106 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 pm

I'm assuming the deal is contingent upon remaining champion, no idea though.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#107 » by CPT » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:55 pm

I think fighters can make individual deals for T-shirts, gear, and whatever, and they get 20% of sales. I saw that figure somewhere. I don't know if you necessarily have to be a champion to get one of those deals, but you'd probably sell more shirts if you were.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#108 » by Jasen777 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:49 am

So corner guys have to wear the Reebok stuff as well. I mean that makes sense from the UFC's POV, but they aren't even paying those guys, don't see how they get to do that.

Also have to be worn on shows like TUF and Countdown (even if they're having a back yard BBQ?)
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#109 » by REDDzone » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:49 am

Conor joins the likes of Hendricks/Bones/Rousey with individual reebok deals. So these aren't just for champions, I guess?
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#110 » by Jasen777 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:04 am

He's the champion of Dana's heart.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by CPT » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:00 am

Jasen777 wrote:So corner guys have to wear the Reebok stuff as well. I mean that makes sense from the UFC's POV, but they aren't even paying those guys, don't see how they get to do that.

Also have to be worn on shows like TUF and Countdown (even if they're having a back yard BBQ?)

Weigh-ins, too, for everyone involved, right?
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#112 » by Jasen777 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:21 am

CPT wrote:Weigh-ins, too, for everyone involved, right?

I think so. Greg Jackson said he'll lose alot of money. Though I wonder how that normally works, if corner guys get something from the fighters sponsor money or if they had separate deals.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#113 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Only relevant news I've seen in awhile inregards to this case:
I guess the NFLPA holds an annual event designed to introduce new players to the benefits of being apart of the player's union.

Anyway, Fitch, Quarry, and Wanderlei Silva all attended this year, and all have posted on social media about their experiences and all they have learned. Not sure if unionizing is a goal of those involved in the lawsuit, I thought I remember them denying that early on? Maybe they just said the lawsuit had nothing to do with that.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/44 ... ers-union/
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#114 » by Susan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Anybody else think Conor's shirt was ugly?
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#115 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:55 am

Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#116 » by Jasen777 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:08 am

Paige VanZant signs with Reebok
UFC strawweight prospect Paige VanZant has signed her own Reebok contract.

VanZant joins fellow UFC fighters Anthony Pettis, Johny Hendricks, Ronda Rousey, Jon Jones and Conor McGregor as the only current fighters on the roster with a separate Reebok endorsement deal. This is in addition to the organization-wide uniform that will go into effect in July. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by CPT » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:47 am

Don't know if that makes me feel better or worse about the deal.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#118 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:55 am

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Listen to Paige talk, she has seemingly very serious back issues (at age 20) and iirc has implied that she doesn't want to fight for too terribly long. And while I root for her, she really only had one good win and only has 4-5 fights total. If she just kind of fizzles out or continues to struggle with back injuries, I think we will look back on this and laugh considering guys like Mighty Mouse have said they want to work with reebok but haven't been approached about it.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by CPT » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:17 pm

Apparently scrapping the rankings plan in favour of experience.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/04/with-reebo ... -direction
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#120 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:59 am

People seem to be happy about this but I'm in a wait and see mode.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts