"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: The UFC Signs CM Punk 

Post#183 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:34 pm

Bernman wrote:Joe Rogan

I'd open that one up at Rogan -400.

But on a more serious note, if Punk wants someone with similar martial arts experience, he probably wouldn't accept the Rogan fight. :D
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,499

Post#184 » by Bernman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:48 pm

I was more or less kidding. But as a hypothetical, he'd probably lose, however have a good shot, and be better off against Rogan than a 1-0 uber athlete who made his name from another sport that the media knows. That is an alternative option.

I think you underrate the athleticism factor in MMA. After all it is an athletic sport. Guys like Westbrook and Walker did look serviceable with minimal experience. Travis Browne came from basketball and didn't have a real loss until 5+ years into his MMA career, and 4 years into his UFC.

This could be an advantage Punk has over a guy like Rogan, some other considerably older guy, or a terrible athlete for MMA like that Christodolou guy was this past weekend. He never had a chance against Taisumov from the athleticism factor alone. All the champs are very mobile, good athletes. There are a ton of major fights being practically won on the reach and athleticism factors alone. Unfortunately I don't think Punk is a particularly good athlete, but whoever they put him in there with, they could at least give him physical advantages if he doesn't have experiential ones.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#185 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:53 am

I think athleticism is important, I just think it matters a lot more when technical ability is relatively close like it is at the highest levels of mma. I don't really think athletic ability alone can win you a fight if you are fighting someone a lot more technical. You generally don't just athlete your way to boxing up an experienced boxer or athlete your way to smashing a purple belt or above level dude in grappling. i mean yea maybe some freaks like Jon Jones pick up on things fast and can do that, but I don't think that's what we are talking about here with CM Punk.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#186 » by Marcus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:56 am

REDDzone wrote:I think athleticism is important, I just think it matters a lot more when technical ability is relatively close like it is at the highest levels of mma. I don't really think athletic ability alone can win you a fight if you are fighting someone a lot more technical. You generally don't just athlete your way to boxing up an experienced boxer or athlete your way to smashing a purple belt or above level dude in grappling. i mean yea maybe some freaks like Jon Jones pick up on things fast and can do that, but I don't think that's what we are talking about here with CM Punk.

for sure not what we're talking about here with Punk
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Bernman
RealGM

Post#187 » by Bernman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:21 am

It's about the disparity. Even if CM Punk isn't technical, or a particularly good athlete, if the athleticism/size disparity is big it could carry a lot of weight. Tito/Shlemenko would be kind of an example of that.

A match that I'd find interesting early in his career is Punk vs. a 47-48 year-old Renzo. Punk would have a significant size and athleticism advantage, and his opponent would play to his biggest strength. Even if Punk got beat it wouldn't likely chase him from the sport with a merciless beating. He'd likely just get subbed. Incidentally, I think Renzo had talked about returning recently.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#188 » by CPT » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:36 am

Why would CM Punk have a huge size advantage? He'll have to fight in a weight class, and he's just now, at 36, cutting weight for the first time in his life.

He's really just an average 36 year old dude in good shape. He might out-athlete a 48 year old Renzo or someone similar, but not your average MW/LHW.

Might as well go all out freakshow and do something like Punk vs. Herschel Walker though.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#189 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Yea I hope they just go all out and embrace the freakshow too but honestly Punk vs a dude who is 50 years old and who has been fighting professionally for 25 years (and god only knows how long before that on random brazilian beaches lol) would be freakshow enough for me.

But the Herschel Walker angle would be cool because then they could do "WWE vs NFL!" like they did "UFC vs Boxing" for Couture/Toney. That said, Walker destroys Punk.

OT, and just brainstorming here, bellator should do Kimbo/Herschel. If you say you wouldn't watch, I call bs lol.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#190 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:59 pm

I wish the ufc was rich enough to make CM Punk vs Ashton Kutcher happen. I think Kutcher takes it...college wrestler and bjj purple belt. War Kelso!
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#191 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 pm

REDDzone wrote:

But on a more serious note, if Punk wants someone with similar martial arts experience, he probably wouldn't accept the Rogan fight. :D

Rogan wins 1000 out of 1000 by finish.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,809

Post#192 » by NZB2323 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Who is the worst MW or WW fighter in the UFC?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#193 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:29 pm

NZB2323 wrote:Who is the worst MW or WW fighter in the UFC?

3-2, 0-1 in the UFC...Guilherme Vasconcelos?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#194 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:42 pm

CM Punk.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#195 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 pm

REDDzone wrote:

CM Punk.

I think he was looking to find Punk an opponent.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#196 » by Bernman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:28 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Rogan wins 1000 out of 1000 by finish.

TRT is illegal now. That's part of the reason Rogan still kicks like a mule.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#197 » by Bernman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:35 pm

CPT wrote:Why would CM Punk have a huge size advantage? He'll have to fight in a weight class, and he's just now, at 36, cutting weight for the first time in his life.

He's really just an average 36 year old dude in good shape. He might out-athlete a 48 year old Renzo or someone similar, but not your average MW/LHW.

Might as well go all out freakshow and do something like Punk vs. Herschel Walker though.

If he cuts down to 170, he'll have a size advantage in general. 185 and he'll have a size disadvantage. That's from gauging their body types. He may be cutting for the first time, but he'll be at a professional camp.

They could also artificially bump a fighter up to his weight class like I mentioned with Shlemenko and Tito. Yeah, that fight was participated in at 205, but it was more like a natural 170 lber against a natural 205 lber. The size disparity in the same weight class technically was huge.

Let him out-size and out-athlete an old name like Renzo at 170 or 185. See what he can do with the physical advantages he's going to need to make up for the technical disadvantages.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#198 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:52 pm

As fun as it is to think about, that fight won't happen bern. Punk said Rener is literally like a brother to him. I doubt he'd fight a Gracie, even if Renzo and the Rorion side have had some tension in the past.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#199 » by Bernman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 pm

Who can keep track of what relation each Gracie is to one another at this point. There are like a thousand of them. For all I know Renzo is Rener's 3rd cousin, they see each other at family reunions once a decade, and their sisters are fair game.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#200 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Bernman wrote:Who can keep track of what relation each Gracie is to one another at this point. There are like a thousand of them. For all I know Renzo is Rener's 3rd cousin, they see each other at family reunions once a decade, and their sisters are fair game.

You'd have to have balls of steel to date a Gracie female. One mess up and you are green lit for life. And those dudes hold a grudge.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts