Bellator 134 (2/27): Lima/Daley + McGeary/Newton

Moderator: lilfishi22

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Bellator 134 (2/27): Lima/Daley + McGeary/Newton 

Post#41 » by Bernman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:14 am

Great fight between Newton and McGeary. I scored it for McGeary, 48-47. It's good to see the guy on the bottom rewarded for being the offensive one and causing more pain and discomfort. McGeary may have the slickest guard in MMA, albeit not the most effective. Although for that to be the case he might just need to make the simple adjustment to stick to one, simple move at a time, instead of trying to be greedy, and get the spectacular. Prior to that he's been winning via inverted triangles, mounted triangle with punches, elbows from guard, etc. It's a bunch of combo, exotic s**t. Just take the ho-hum sub from guard. These days, that's exotic enough in major MMA.

REDDzone wrote:I guess Daley is saying he wants another fight before a title shot. He probably realized he's lucky he fought a late replacement tonight.

He might have a better shot against Lima than Ward, although maybe that's being a prisoner of the moment, and over-valuing style. Someone like Ward may exploit his grappling issue, but at least he's got a clear out there by potential KO. Lima is superior on the feet also and overall, but may give him a better chance by never trying to take the fight to the ground. I say put Lima-Koreshkov and Daley-Ward on the same card.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#42 » by REDDzone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:41 pm

People keep talking about how great his guard is, but one of the most impressive things I saw was his guard recovery. He is always getting a leg in to create space and recompose guard when he is in side control. Going for triangles/armbars is such an easy way to get passed, that's why a lot of guys don't throw up submissions in mma/nogi like that. But if you are confident in your side control escapes, its not such a big deal. Its what allows him to be so aggressive off his back imo.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#43 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Mar 4, 2015 10:37 pm

Bernman wrote:
REDDzone wrote:I'm excited for next time Daley fights someone good so I can win money betting against him. There seems to be this weird notion that he's good.

edit: And now he's mounted LOLZ.

Even his striking ain't that great. It's like Hendricks with knees. Powerful, but loopy, leap-in hooks, and has the recognition to knee you in close if you dip your head enough for his short butt to reach you. But he's never been much in the kicking or jab/straight department from what I've seen.

I saw someone on Twitter say he was the best striker in MMA by a mile. lol

I'll be really annoyed if they give him the title shot over Koreshkov, if Andrey is ready. But sounds like something Spikeforce would do. Lima-Koreshkov is 1 of the best style fights to make in MMA right now. They gotta do it.

Man IDK I really like his hands. It's not sophisticated in terms of head movement I guess but that is ridiculous power from a very effective punch. Did you see some of those ground strikes he was landing?? Reminded me of Lawler on Kos...generating leverage out of nowhere.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts