UFC Fight Night 63 (4/4): Mendes vs. Lamas

Moderator: lilfishi22

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Re: UFC Fight Night 63 (4/4): Mendes vs. Lamas 

Post#61 » by CPT » Mon Apr 6, 2015 2:47 am

I could definitely get behind that. Probably the direction they are going as well. Tournament of guys who have already fought Aldo, with each fight being worthy of a TV main event. I guess Faber winning could mess that up.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#62 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:34 am

I thought that was a perfect stoppage in the Lamas fight. It was a huge crossroads fight for the guy, he was given a chance to recover.

Not further impressed with Mendes...who exchanges overhand rights with Chad??? Didn't prove anything we didn't already know about him.

Iaquinta is clearly a dude with temper issues but, eff yeah, crowds are due some lashback. I haaaate it when fighters are super weird and deferential to them. "I fight for you guys", "Thanks for supporting MMA", "We have the greatest fans in the world". Whatever. It's a God damn consumer exchange, they're not there out of generosity; no need to thank the crowd unless they are people showing you in particular loyalty as a local or something. Also, you want to boo, boo the decision. But make it clear you're booing the decision by stfu once the fighter gets on the mic. And booing during fights?? F*** them.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#63 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:37 am

REDDzone wrote:The Masvidal/Iaquinta fight stats are telling as to that being a bad decision. Masvidal outlanded him in every single round and by almost 30 strikes overall. Also I thought I was exaggerating with Iaquinta failing on 10 takedowns, but he legit was 0 for 9. lol.

Those leg kicks were pretty effective, Masvidal was not liking them.

I can't believe Masvidals own selection of kicks, mind you. He was throwing some awesome techniques.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#64 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:43 am

What did Mendes prove such that he deserves another shot? I'd rather see Conor or Swanson. Chad only battered him around after landing that big overhand. That's no expansion of his arsenal. Lamas - despite all his talks about training strategy - threw a head down overhand against a stalking Mendes...that's a huge mistake.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#65 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 6, 2015 12:48 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Iaquinta is clearly a dude with temper issues but, eff yeah, crowds are due some lashback. I haaaate it when fighters are super weird and deferential to them. "I fight for you guys", "Thanks for supporting MMA", "We have the greatest fans in the world". Whatever. It's a God damn consumer exchange, they're not there out of generosity; no need to thank the crowd unless they are people showing you in particular loyalty as a local or something. Also, you want to boo, boo the decision. But make it clear you're booing the decision by stfu once the fighter gets on the mic. And booing during fights?? F*** them.

You must have missed afterward when he said the reason why he lost it is because he only fights for the fans. :lol:
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#66 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 6, 2015 12:52 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:What did Mendes prove such that he deserves another shot? I'd rather see Conor or Swanson. Chad only battered him around after landing that big overhand. That's no expansion of his arsenal. Lamas - despite all his talks about training strategy - threw a head down overhand against a stalking Mendes...that's a huge mistake.

I think it'll be awhile before Cub gets back in there. Mendes has never and probably will never (at least for a very long time) get styled on like Swanson did against Edgar.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#67 » by Cammo101 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 2:52 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:What did Mendes prove such that he deserves another shot? I'd rather see Conor or Swanson. Chad only battered him around after landing that big overhand. That's no expansion of his arsenal. Lamas - despite all his talks about training strategy - threw a head down overhand against a stalking Mendes...that's a huge mistake.

I have no interest in another Aldo fight, but if Connor wins I think Mendes should be at the front of the line. Though I'd also have no issue with a Mendes vs. Edgar fight for the #1 contender spot. Because if that Aldo/McGregor fight is good, the UFC will run it back a second time for sure.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#68 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 7, 2015 3:07 am

I was reading a thread on the undergound where I guess Conor's coach was tweeting at Lamas about taking the L, bringing up some video Lamas made about Conor awhile back as a joke. Then people were posting vids where Conor's teammate was confronting Lamas about it too. I know Conor was pissed about it as well.

These dudes are pretty sensitive considering they have the biggest smack talker since Chael Sonnen as a teammate.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#69 » by Jasen777 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 3:11 am

They're just trying to get a rivalry going for Conor's next fight after losing to Aldo.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#70 » by REDDzone » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:46 am

This was ridiculous. Ferreira had a sick armdrag attempt and Poirier just instinctively rolls out of it and is able to secure an underhook on the other side.

Armdrag is underused btw.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts