Pacquiao by KO/TKO
25%

Total votes: 76

Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Re: Mayweather vs Pacquiao - May 2nd 

Post#621 » by Newz » Tue May 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Rich Rane wrote:If Mayweather wanted to be brought up as a clean cut boxer, why complain to the media why people don't like you AFTER a a racist rant on stream?

Did you read what I wrote? Other people wanted to promote him as a clean cut boxer. Mayweather WANTED to be known as a bad guy because HE KNEW that it would sell more tickets.

I'm honestly not sure what the goal of all this is. Mayweather is a scumbag, you said so yourself that he's most likely not a good person. Are you trying to find a reason to keep on supporting him despite his shortcomings outside of the ring?

What the goal of all of what is? I agree Mayweather is most likely a terrible person. I'm not trying to support him at all. I'm simply saying that a lot of what he says and does is calculated. He wants you to hate him, he knows you hate him and he knows you are going to buy his fights because you are hoping someone can beat him. How is that a surprise to anyone? I thought that was just common sense.

Like do you think everything you see on 24/7 is real? Do you think that's his real every day life? Or do you think they are showing you certain things to hype the fight, make him seem more ridiculous than he really is and make him an even bigger villain? Do you think HBO/Showtime are showing him flaunting his money like mad man at every turn because they think it makes him look like a good guy... or do you think they show you that to make you hate him and like the other guy more/hope he finally beats Floyd?

Did you notice the turn in persona during his career when he adopted the 'Money' nickname and left 'Pretty Boy' in the dust? Or are you completely blind to that? Yeah, he's not a good person. But a lot of what he does and how he is presented to the public is a show and an act. It's put there to sell Pay Per Views. Does that mean that I think he beat women to sell PPV? Obviously not... but then again I thought that was common sense. I figured people could separate the over the top "Money" persona from the actual real human being who has done some terrible stuff.

I personally order his fights because I think he's a great fighter. I don't pay a ton of attention to a lot of the personal things with athletes anymore because if I only watched athletes who were 'good people' or 'nice guys' I probably wouldn't be able to turn on a professional sporting event.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,821

Post#622 » by Rich Rane » Tue May 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Newz wrote:What the goal of all of what is? I agree Mayweather is most likely a terrible person. I'm not trying to support him at all. I'm simply saying that a lot of what he says and does is calculated. He wants you to hate him, he knows you hate him and he knows you are going to buy his fights because you are hoping someone can beat him. How is that a surprise to anyone? I thought that was just common sense.

Like do you think everything you see on 24/7 is real? Do you think that's his real every day life? Or do you think they are showing you certain things to hype the fight, make him seem more ridiculous than he really is and make him an even bigger villain? Do you think HBO/Showtime are showing him flaunting his money like mad man at every turn because they think it makes him look like a good guy... or do you think they show you that to make you hate him and like the other guy more/hope he finally beats Floyd?

Did you notice the turn in persona during his career when he adopted the 'Money' nickname and left 'Pretty Boy' in the dust? Or are you completely blind to that? Yeah, he's not a good person. But a lot of what he does and how he is presented to the public is a show and an act. It's put there to sell Pay Per Views. Does that mean that I think he beat women to sell PPV? Obviously not... but then again I thought that was common sense. I figured people could separate the over the top "Money" persona from the actual real human being who has done some terrible stuff.

I personally order his fights because I think he's a great fighter. I don't pay a ton of attention to a lot of the personal things with athletes anymore because if I only watched athletes who were 'good people' or 'nice guys' I probably wouldn't be able to turn on a professional sporting event.

I already know most of everything you've already said as I've followed Mayweather since Diego Corralles. I respect his boxing skill and there was a time I did respect the man. However, in the scenarios you speak of on HBO/Showtime showing Mayweather's "personal" side, can you honestly say it's more probable than not that is not the REAL Mayweather? Judging by everything outside the ring, how can you prove to me Mayweather isn't as much the showboating, entitled, racist he comes off as? Because he tells everyone he's doing it to sell more PPVs? Because he swears under oath he isn't like the guy he is during those shows? As for coming off as a racist, keep in mind that video on Ustream came out in 2011 and there was no sign of a fight with Pacquiao incoming.

Personally, I buy even the bad boxing PPVs to support the sport (I most likely spend on average $200 a year on boxing PPVs). Please though, tell me how any boxing fan is supposed to separate the "Pretty Boy", "Money" monikers along with the actual Mayweather? Other than me and anyone else here who legit buys his PPVs, you most likely aren't convince anyone else, especially the ones that recently saw him for the first time, to slightly ignore his troubles outside the ring to watch him in the ring.
Newz
Banned User

Post#623 » by Newz » Tue May 12, 2015 9:11 pm

Rich Rane wrote:I already know most of everything you've already said as I've followed Mayweather since Diego Corralles. I respect his boxing skill and there was a time I did respect the man. However, in the scenarios you speak of on HBO/Showtime showing Mayweather's "personal" side, can you honestly say it's more probable than not that is not the REAL Mayweather? Judging by everything outside the ring, how can you prove to me Mayweather isn't as much the showboating, entitled, racist he comes off as? Because he tells everyone he's doing it to sell more PPVs? Because he swears under oath he isn't like the guy he is during those shows? As for coming off as a racist, keep in mind that video on Ustream came out in 2011 and there was no sign of a fight with Pacquiao incoming.

I would say it is more probable than not that isn't the "real" Mayweather. I do think certain aspects of what he does in that show are probably real parts of his life. But I think a lot of things that are injected into the show are planted there by both Mayweather and the creators in order to make you think one thing or another.

I don't think many of the fighters are exactly who they are portrayed as on 24/7 and All Access. I think those are pumped up versions of who those people really are and what they really do. I think they try to turn some guys who are bad people in real life into 'good guys' in order to build rivalries. I think they try to make some bad guys even worse. It's the media and they are in the business of making money... if you think that's all 100% truthful then I'm not sure what to tell you other than I disagree.

I also think Mayweather and Pacquiao played out their fight and their rivalry perfectly from a money making standpoint. The fight was huge five or six years ago, but it was even bigger when it finally happened. People continued to develop hatred for Floyd because they all thought it was 100% his fault that the fight wasn't happening. They thought he was scared, they thought he was ducking and they thought they knew that Pacquiao would mop the floor with him if they ever got into the ring. I think every post fight interview, every interview where they mentioned one another, every viral internet video (like the one you posted) and every little spot on 24/7 or All Access (like when Mayweather runs after the little Asian dude and taunts him by calling him Pacquiao during the run he was doing) was to build up for this fight. The buildup wasn't two months, it was five years.

So no, it would not surprise me if he leaked that video to make people hate him more. It wouldn't surprise me at all. It also wouldn't surprise me if he was just being an idiot on camera though. :D

Personally, I buy even the bad boxing PPVs to support the sport (I most likely spend on average $200 a year on boxing PPVs). Please though, tell me how any boxing fan is supposed to separate the "Pretty Boy", "Money" monikers along with the actual Mayweather?

I'm not sure exactly how you sort through a persona of a fighter and who he actually is. You are the one who responded to my post where I said I wonder what is fact and what is purposefully said in order to build up the 'heel' persona. You are the one who seems to have it all figured out... so can you tell me exactly how to separate it?

My assumption is that he isn't wearing Mexican colors and attire to the ring when he fights Oscar in order to get people to like him. Odds are he isn't 'making it rain' on the camera to get people to like him. Odds are he doesn't constantly gloat about his money to get people to like him. Odds are that he isn't filming himself making it rain on strippers in his hotel room to make people like him.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's just super lucky to be making all of the money that he's making. Maybe he hasn't had to work on the persona at all. Maybe none of it is an act, maybe he is just not self-aware at all and cannot believe people don't love him. Maybe he thinks he should be the most loved athlete in the world. Maybe he's doing things that he thinks everyone will embrace and love him for. Maybe he thinks people will cheer for him when he wears Mexican colors when fighting a Mexican fighter... even though his uncle did the same thing to get people mad.

But just watching him, listening to him, hearing other people talk about when he started out and seeing how it has unfolded... I doubt that. I don't think Mayweather is a good guy. I do think he's incredibly smart on a certain level though. I think he knows how to promote himself, I think he embraced his role as 'the bad guy' and I think he's very good at thinking up more ways to make people dislike him to the point where they are willing to give him money to see him lose, even when the odds are incredibly low that he will lose.
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#624 » by olive_triangurl » Tue May 12, 2015 11:59 pm

Mayweather sent a text message to ESPN to agree to next year's rematch, and then backed out a day later. Calculated or chicken?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#625 » by REDDzone » Wed May 13, 2015 12:57 am

Mayweather obviously tries to play a heel. Clearly. Suge Knight? Bieber? Lol.

He is still a piece of trash in real life too.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Newz
Banned User

Post#626 » by Newz » Wed May 13, 2015 3:12 am

REDDzone wrote:Mayweather obviously tries to play a heel. Clearly. Suge Knight? Bieber? Lol.

He is still a piece of trash in real life too.

I will say that while I am not a Mayweather fan... two of the most hilarious sports moments ever were the first time he walked out with Bieber and when he walked out with The King. :lol:
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#627 » by SpeedyG » Wed May 13, 2015 4:08 pm

olive_triangurl wrote:^ So do you think Pacquiao's 2016 surgically-repaired shoulder is likely to be no better than his 2015 injured shoulder (that got him to within 112-116 on 2 judges cards)?
He really doesn't need to improve by much.
He won 4 rounds.
So if he wins 2 more rounds then they're tied on 6 rounds each.
Actually before the fight I was under the impression that Pacquiao would need to knock Mayweather out, but now I think Pacquiao can win on points.

How can Pac win on points if he can't find the distance to close in on May consistently? And when he did manage to, May ran away or clinched? That's Mayweather's style, it's not going to change. The only way to force him to come out of of that is if Pac can overwhelm him with volume, which he couldn't do last time. Perhaps its due to the shoulder, but even factoring that in, its pretty clear Pac had trouble with Mayweather's length and the quickness of his jabs.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
olive_triangurl
Banned User

Post#628 » by olive_triangurl » Wed May 13, 2015 7:33 pm

^ Nah, Paquiao closed in on May consistently, but didn't have the strength to follow up initial flurries.
I think we all remember the final round in particular when Pacquiao had May in the corner and was close enough to him to flurry but instead just stood there and did nothing.
The shoulder injury adds up when I think back to the number of times Pacquiao was easily close enough to unleash flurries but did nothing.
Pacquiao only had one shoulder, and lost 112-116, so he'd win if he was healthy.
Mayweather knows it and backed out of the rematch.
Newz
Banned User

Post#629 » by Newz » Wed May 13, 2015 8:33 pm

olive_triangurl wrote:^ Nah, Paquiao closed in on May consistently, but didn't have the strength to follow up initial flurries.
I think we all remember the final round in particular when Pacquiao had May in the corner and was close enough to him to flurry but instead just stood there and did nothing.
The shoulder injury adds up when I think back to the number of times Pacquiao was easily close enough to unleash flurries but did nothing.
Pacquiao only had one shoulder, and lost 112-116, so he'd win if he was healthy.
Mayweather knows it and backed out of the rematch.

Mayweather accepts the match with Pacquiao and wins. Now is apparently scared to fight him again.

I give the boxing powers that be props. They have a lot of people convinced that they need to spend $100 to see this thing again because they are convinced it's going to be a lot different the second time around.

They'll fight again if Pacquiao is healthy and there is enough money on the table. No way Mayweather is retiring with another $150+ million staring him in the face for a fight that he knows he'll be the odds on favorite in.
olive_triangurl
Banned User

Post#630 » by olive_triangurl » Thu May 14, 2015 4:04 am

But does Mayweather think he's the odds-on favorite vs healthy Pacquiao?
The oddsmakers are irrelevant to reality, as we regularly see in sport.
Mayweather agreed to next year's rematch and then 24 hours later refused it, and may be even less inclined to fight if he hears Pacquiao is fully recovered from surgery.
And I know Mayweather likes money, but even he must realize that he won't be alive long enough to fully enjoy his money, so will an extra $150mill make a difference?
Would he take that $150mill if it means perhaps retiring with a loss?
I know he already fought Pacquiao the first time, but I think that was because the media said he'd retire with an asterisk next to his record if he didn't fight Pacquiao, so he was shamed into the fight.
We'll see if there is enough reason for him to fight Pacquiao a 2nd time.....
Newz
Banned User

Post#631 » by Newz » Thu May 14, 2015 2:17 pm

olive_triangurl wrote:But does Mayweather think he's the odds-on favorite vs healthy Pacquiao?

Yes.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#632 » by Bulltalk » Thu May 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Just about everything to do with that fight sucked in relation to the hype of it. The shoulder thing was real. That's clear now. I'm just not sure a healthy shoulder would have made a difference in the outcome. Manny had to throw like 50% more volume of punches to win the fight. How much of that was the shoulder? How much of it was simply him lacking the stamina and energy to do so, especially with Mayweather's superior and elusive ring-generalship? It seemed that every time Manny cornered him and got a series of shots off, and then Mayweather clenched, referee separates, Manny couldn't pounce right back on him, ala Duran. Again, I don't know if that was a shoulder thing as much of an energy/stamina thing. Sure seemed like the latter.

Anyway, it sucked. I was wrong. I expected a much higher volume of punches thrown by Paq. Didn't happen.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
olive_triangurl
Banned User

Post#633 » by olive_triangurl » Fri May 15, 2015 2:47 pm

^ Yeah because you can't throw a high volume of punches if you have a torn shoulder.
If this was vs anyone else than Pacquiao would not have entered the ring, but he knew Mayweather was about to retire so this was his only chance at getting a shot at him (plus up until minutes before the fight Pacquiao was expecting the anti-inflammatory to numb the pain, but Nevada refused him).
And 2 of the 3 judges still scored it 116-112 :lol:
Newz
Banned User

Post#634 » by Newz » Fri May 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Reports already starting to come out that the rematch is being discussed. My guess would be:

* Mayweather fights someone who is basically no threat to him in September. He gets a guaranteed $30+ million regardless of how the fight does and he'll take the easy payday.
* They will feed some scrub to Manny later in the year when he recovers. It will make him look strong, fast and fully capable of competing with Mayweather.
* The rematch will happen next May with plenty of hype and buildup coming out of the two tune-up fights.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts