Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4 

Post#681 » by Jasen777 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Headliner wrote:Let me put it this way, do you think Mouse could beat Brock Lesnar if Lesnar stood with him the whole time? No chance in hell, and lesnar had as much striking experience as any other football guy would have if they came to the UFC.

Lesnar had 2 whole years of MMA training before he got to the UFC. And his wrestling background would have saved a ton of time that other new fighters would have to spend.

If Mighty Mouse could beat a football player after they'd had 2 years of high level extensive mma training (without even being made easier by previous combat background), that's a different question.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#682 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Absolutely, give some freak athlete actual formal training and experience and its a different issue.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#683 » by Headliner » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Are we talking about a street fight, with eye gouging, fish hooking and ball shots?
An instant UFC fight this second with the UFC rules, but no training?
Or an actual UFC fight where the guy would get months to train some skills?

And are we assuming the NFL player has never boxed, or has no fighting background at all? Because many have some boxing experience, and/or wrestling backgrounds.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#684 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Headliner wrote:Are we talking about a street fight, with eye gouging, fish hooking and ball shots?

And are we assuming the NFL player has never boxed, or has no fighting background at all? Because many have some boxing experience, and/or wrestling backgrounds.

I'd take Mouse in any of those but I think Rogan at one point laid out the scenario as taking place in the middle of a field, so presumably street fight?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#685 » by Jasen777 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:38 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Headliner wrote:Are we talking about a street fight, with eye gouging, fish hooking and ball shots?

I'd take Mouse in any of those but I think Rogan at one point laid out the scenario as taking place in the middle of a field, so presumably street fight?

Street fights are normally not arranged though, and often go to the guy who strikes first and/or is willing to be the most violent, right?
I mean at least their is a big difference between 2 people agreeing to fight and people being out at a bar or something and things escalate.

And I think the question has to be an NFL player with no combat sports experience. Because otherwise the question is "large athletic guy with limited combat sports experience" and the NFL part isn't particularly relevant.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#686 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Roxanne Modafferi would DESTROY Ray Lewis.

Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#687 » by Headliner » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:41 pm

Woodly vs Wonderboy is happening. Glad to see that.
Hope Wonderboy takes it.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#688 » by NZB2323 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:24 pm

A lot of NFL player train MMA in the offseason though, like Clay Matthews, and a lot of those guys wrestled in high school. Arthur Jones said he would take Ray Lewis in a street fight over Jon Jones.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#689 » by Jasen777 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:33 pm

NZB2323 wrote:Arthur Jones said he would take Ray Lewis in a street fight over Jon Jones.

Arthur Jones was either high or thinking of Lewis' knife skills.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#690 » by Headliner » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:11 am

Woodly already trying to contest the Wonderboy fight lol.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,141
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#691 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:45 am

Headliner wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Headliner wrote:
Using Lesnar as a prototype. He would be giving up a foot and 1 inch height, around 150 pounds and 20+ inches of reach.

Lesnar isn't the average dimensions of a 6'3 or 6'4 man, even in the NFL or NBA.

His reach is average for a 6'4 guy.

Average? Brock is up there with the biggest reaches in the UFC, and he's closer to 6'2.5 than 6'4. Jon Jones
Has 2-3 inches of reach on him, and guys literally say that's such a massive advantage over his contemporaries that it makes it unfair to call him GOAT. :lol:

Lesnar is not the average in any sport.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 578

Post#692 » by Gregoire » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:29 am

I think prime Alexander Karelin would rag doll the UFC heavyweight division he had way superior strength then Brock and athleticism plus way better wrestling and technique. Rumors out of Japan said he had monster fists and hit like a truck (sounds like Carwin). With some mma training dude would have been hw GOAT. Imagine someone with Brock strength and athleticism, Carwin punching power, and better wrestling technique then Danier Cormier in UFC's heavyweight division.

Also Ithink guys Like Teddy Riner (204 sm, 140 kg) could beverycompetitive.Same with Mijain Lopez.
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them.
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan
AEnigma wrote:
Jordan is not as smart a help defender as Kidd
Nightmaree
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#693 » by Nightmaree » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#694 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#695 » by Headliner » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:35 pm

I have no interest in ever watching BJ fight again. He's in the same category I have/had W.Silva, Struve, Shogun. I'd rather see him retire with all his facilities in order.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,710

Post#696 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:35 am

Neither do I. Especially with these younger guys who are going out there to destroy him just to make more of a name for themselves.

For Lamas, he's probably seeing it as an easy payday and likely an easy win. All at the cost of BJ's health.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,085

Post#697 » by High 5 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Penn should avoid the unnecessary damage, sure, but mostly he's just super boring to watch these days. He can't do anything out there. It's honestly kind of depressing as someone who use to love watching him fight.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#698 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Lamas is underappreciated. Stone killer.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#699 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:22 am

Just ridiculous matchmaking imo. How do you go from hypothetical matchups with guys like Siver or Cole Miller to Ricardo Lamas?

Let's put this in perspective using a lil MMAmath: A fight that makes a lot of sense next is Lamas/Edgar, both top 5ish guys that are coming off losses. BJ fought Edgar last, and that fight is in the argument for least competitive fight in mma history, and took place over two years ago.

Then again what do you expect from a company who is putting 45 year old Dan Henderson in title fights?
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#700 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:12 am

Cole Miller to Lamas, that's a good point.

Makes no difference in terms of moving the needle or technical intrigue (miller's bjj coulda been sold, he's tapped Gurgel). One guy is just 10x the murderer.

Maybe the fight is meant to keep Lamas in the picture? A Miller win is no win for the UFC. This hedges a BJ loss at least.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts